Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
even if lula cant run cant he just run the country through a proxy candidate ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Kinda of, but not exactly. They are more like paramilitary groups created under the pretense of protecting communities from the drug gangs, which of course are gangs themselves and are now controlling favelas much like the drug gangs

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/opinion/rio-janeiro-terrorize-militias.html

One of the bolsonaro kids tried to pass a law legalizing their activity

And left wing congresswoman Marielle Franco was most probably killed by militiamen (we will never know now. A sign that was created in homage to her was proudly destroyed by bolsonaristas during a rally (one of the guys who did is RJ new governor)

Lol right wing politics is just gangsterism

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Brazil is so loving rigged from the media to the judiciary, far worse than even Venezuela holy poo poo

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
finished listening to the war nerd on brazil, all the junta people and business elites are coming in for a huge party in the new government

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Finally a comprehensive article on how the guardian went full neoliberal once Greenwald left...

has he ever spoken up about it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
going through brazilian twitter and idk if its a bunch of bots but if not it seems like brazilians are a bunch of *loud honking noise so i dont eat a probe*

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dias posted:

It's a bunch of bots plus the loud minority that went 100% Full Fash. A lot of people voted for Bolsonaro but most of them just bought into the hard stance against crime and anti-corruption (which is also anti-PT/left) discourse.

its cool how the We Need A Tough Guy poo poo still works even though all it produces is people who sell the country off and weaken it, over and over. wonder if we'll ever get a peron style genuine nationalist again

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
did the NSA leaks lead to the government wanting to exercise control over the paper or something?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1080461738666012672

drat brazil sounds cool wish they'd taught me marxism in school

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
cool read, this stuck out: http://www.brasilwire.com/brazil-solidarity-initiative-editor-daniel-hunt-speaks-at-uk-parliament/

quote:

Most importantly, it needs to be plainly understood that Bolsonaro was placed in a winning position ONLY through the last minute removal of the leading candidate, political prisoner Lula da Silva, who was jailed for 12 years on a nonsensical charge by Bolsonaro’s own Justice Minister to be, in a joint operation in collaboration with the US Department of Justice.

Even this alone should be an international outrage.

And it gets worse, the chief of the armed forces General Villas Boas has admitted that he intentionally threatened the Supreme Court so that they would not release Lula. The court voted to deny him habeas corpus by a single vote, of a visibly frightened Rosa Weber, who explained that she was voting against her own opinion. This was a decision that changed the course of Brazilian history.

the hell happened there

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Yinlock posted:

shockingly, the guy who said he loves fascism dissolved the government and made himself forever king on day 1 of his regime

who could have seen this coming, besides absolutely everyone who isn't a centrist media pundit

I don't know what this is about but if it's about bolsonaro it's wrong. He doesn't need to since the people backing him have control of the media, the judiciary and legislatures due to the jailing, suppression and couping of the opposition

These people have gotten really slick at putting the figleaf of democracy over their coups

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

holy poo poo. is there an actual reaction against this or are the institutions so thoroughly corrupted and anti left that nothing will happen

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Kurnugia posted:

regime factions are probably going to use this as an excuse for settling internal power struggles and that'll be it. I don't think public corruption (even blatant like brazil) nowadays rarely leads to anything without a regime faction backing a purge

i assume unless its left wingers doing the corruption, in which case they get coup'd

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

oh right, greenwald goes on fox news a lot too. he kinda shouldn't do that tbh

sanders went on fox news as well

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

meanwhile in the US he keeps showing up on Tucker Carlson to complain about PC culture going wrong and dumb poo poo like that.

that is absolutely not what he does. the closest to that is he's firmly against deplatforming right wingers on youtube/twitter/whatever on the grounds of being against corporate censorship, which is a take that people can have a reasonable argument about

most of the smears against him tend to be from the same circle of pro imperialist liberals levelling the same kind of garbage you see thrown at bernie or corbyn or whoever and anyone falling it is dumb as hell.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i think greenwald's one of the best journalists of our age and consistently a thorn in the side of the most powerful people of the world trying to make our lives worse. anyone falling for shrieking liberal cancel culture weaponized by cynical pro imperialist turds should probanly reconsider

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

for someone who decries cancel culture, you do a good job of completely erasing context from quotes

what?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
didn't see that post and wasn't trying to drag you, its just a general statement of going on fox news doesnt tarnish someone

a big part of why he's there in the first place is being shut out of outlets like msnbc since they've become water carriers for blob propaganda

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.brasilwire.com/no-tanks-on-the-streets-brazilian-general-villas-boas-admits-military-coup/

the brazilian military needs a massive purge and these people should be rotting in prison if the left is ever allowded into power again

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
football rules and anyone that doesnt care about football is suspect

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
my brazilian friend's dad is visiting. the guy loved lula, then supported bolsonaro, now intends to support lula again. i dont know how this works

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
its the guardian, but

https://twitter.com/georgecmcgavin/status/1415559067418992643

“Most of the emissions are caused by fires, many deliberately set to clear land for beefand soy production.”

i assume anyone who tried to do anything about it would be killed

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

nerdz posted:

If Lula had to sell his soul harder than dilma did for her re-election and is repeating the same vice president mistakes, even if he wins I predict there'll be a lot of turbulence ahead

The Unnamed One posted:

Lula has neoliberal darling Geraldo Alckmin as his vice-president, dude is on conciliatory turbo-mode

Bolsonaro and his failsons are probably hosed anyway, but mostly because the establishment has no need for them anymore, and Jair has an incredible ability to alienate his allies (even the cops and military, on occasion)

ahh poo poo thats disappointing, and from what little i know the last PT government did some good stuff but was still pretty liberal?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ZearothK posted:

It is not about logic or facts, it is about belief. When someone is that deep in at best your arguments will make them feel foolish and resent you. They have to walk out of it on their own, through life experience, curiosity and social pressure. Hell, I was a lib and it wasn't until some hard knocks from life that I broke out of it.

its true. i'd probably be a low info lib of some sort if my finances and job prospects hadn't been destroyed in 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Police all over Brazil, but specially in the northeast, had been doing operations to try to impede voters from poorer areas to get to the voting sites

Also stuff like this
https://twitter.com/UrbanNathalia/status/1586754614698729478?s=20&t=_CX4qAuuCyon5ybW5W01rQ

hope lula has the ability, motivation and sense to purge these loving people