Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Fallout 76 is going to sell a massive amount of copies and rewrite the sandbox genre completely. hosed up but true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Whoops!

What actually ended up happening was that Fallout 76 was a gigantic disaster that all reports indicate sold less than 1 million copies. I couldn't have been more wrong. :v: but I also couldn't have anticipated Bethesda loving this up so badly either.

I was catching up on this thread from WAY back and saw that, made me laugh.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Gort posted:

This is kinda where I'm at. Your dev team will never be able to make content fast enough for your players to not get bored, so the only way to give your MMO any longevity is by making the players the content. Eve manages this by letting you put a flag down somewhere, make gear, and blow up vast quantities of game (and real) money fighting other players.

It's surprising that we've never seen a single-shard "fantasy Eve" MMO where players can:

* Control land
* Build and destroy player-owned castles
* Make and sell equipment that is destroyed when a character dies

You could have players hire NPC guards for their castles, sponsor monsters and bandits to invade other players lands, and so on. And make sure you have a map that colours in to show who owns what, they'll eat that poo poo up.

Is it weird that an MMO that only works technologically because there's no direct WASD control, time can slow down without serious repercussions, and there's hardly anything to render, has not been replicated outside of those exact constraints?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That uhhh elyon game is I guess open for some people, does anyone like it?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I played the elyon game. They let you make a kpop orc which I liked. I also liked that the build system has like 300 skills, but you can only equip like 6 or 7 of them at a time, and then there are skill modifiers like diablo runes you can apply to them, but they change the way they work a lot. So like I'm a dps/healer class and the main resource builder can be runed into healing instead of damage. Or like a lot of skills can be runed into CC's or PBAOEs or whatever to make different types of builds. You can also change your skills, runes, etc. anytime you're out of combat for free. So it seems like there's a lot of build construction which I like.

However, you get the points for assigning runes by equipping runestones and you can only level up runestones iwth this insanely constrained currency. And out of the 4 runes each skill has, you get the first two right off the bat, the third one you get by clearing out all the quests in an area or killing world bosses, and the fourth one by buying it with like 100 of a resource where you get one by doing a daily quest. The third and fourth rune are clearly way stronger (although they lend themself to one build or another so I'm sure you'll end up using some weaker ones to fill out a build).

The leveling is a weird greased chute. There's a story but there's like maybe 2 or 3 story quests per level on the far outside, and about half of those are introducing you to poo poo you've unlocked, like you hit 36 and get player housing, so we have 1 or 2 quests that advance the story and then a long chain that's a player housing tutorial. And then between levels there will be like a bunch of area quests where you just accept all of them from a single menu, then spend 10-20 min hitting the END key so your guy goes to the next green diamond, kill green diamond guys, press END again to go to the next green diamond. Maybe TERA was like that, idk, I've done BDO and Archeage and both of them had incredibly detailed and obnoxious dialogue-filled leveling experience, so this seems somewhat restrained by comparison. I'm not sure if I like it better or not.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

1stGear posted:

Wait, so it auto-battles like some loving mobile RPG?

No, it just autotravels to your next objective

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

eonwe posted:

yeah I went ahead and picked it up

It like doesn't have a hard release date yet, does it?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So what's the deal with SOLO, what is it like

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The game plays a lot like action combat wow. Like legion or something where there's a ton of cutscenes and chained story quests.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

busalover posted:

Black Desert Online?

BDO's questing isn't anything like wow's so I'm not sure why you'd draw that comparison

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's gotta be a license if they're saying that, doesn't it? I'm guessing they're gonna give warhammer another shot.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's this indeed and by far my most favourite was the Rift classic fiasco that lasted for what, 3 months? :v:

Hello I know nothing about this and would like to learn more

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I know a couple of the guys working on this, and I even like one of em but they're tech so who knows if it'll be good. I will say that the team is real actual professional video game developers from this decade so it's not a scam.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

I mean, Haven and Hearth is pretty much the same thing, right? And that never really took off.

No, Haven and Hearth is not like Stardew Valley. Not at all.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

1stGear posted:

I like how every article I've seen on Palia has said "Made by former Riot/Blizzard/Zynga devs!" and then immediately qualified that with "These studios are so large that this is basically meaningless."

A lot of the main people are among the first few dozen riot employees fwiw.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's why I'm a little disappointed that solo is just a wow competitor. You have a setting where there are clearly defined power levels and punishments for ganking less powerful foes, etc. I want to see some really weird poo poo done with that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk man what do you do when there's nobody to help you leave the town you started in?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I will say that figuring out how to let friends at seriously different power levels play together without making the more powerful player feel like they're having to choose between "really" playing the game and helping their friend, while still providing an actual feeling of advancement, might be impossible but is probably a prerequisite to making an MMO anybody wants to play in 2021.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This is some of the better content the thread has had in awhile tbh

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I feel like if there was a game today where you could have a bunch of stylish hats or wear a helmet, all the pvpers would wear helmets. And if they got rid of the armor bonus of helmets, all the pvpers would wear like the biggest hat on the basis that it might obstruct the view of their opponent somehow.

At some point people started acting like this in games, wish I knew why.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I guess maybe there's some desire to get like, attention from other players. And before you could do that by wearing a cool hat. But now there's so many people that you won't stand out unless you just dominate as many people as possible. Maybe that's not it, just kinda shooting from the hip here.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Phigs posted:

And you could walk up to some thee and thou person and talk normally asking for a repair or whatever and they'd just continue RPing while you were like "ty" and they'd not care you were ruining their immersion or whatever. No expectations RP was pretty cool.

See that's just because everyone's RP background at the time was ren faires where that's completely normal.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's not the intimacy of the medium, it's the small number of people involved.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

As a result, some players would only max out a few classes and do a couple long quests and stumble into becoming jedi, while other players would basically end up doing 100% of the game's content and still not become jedi and never know why.

Well, in theory. If I recall correctly, nobody became a jedi before holocrons were released (world items that revealed one of your requirements), so ultimately it was "you cannot be a jedi" followed by "collect holocrons to become jedi".

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Aren't you hamstrung into a single build every season in Diablo 3 anyways? (it at least felt that way to me when I tried jumping in a few years ago) so lack of choices dont bug me much.

Not really, no. I definitely choose a build at the beginning of the season and work toward it (and usually also have an intermediate build based on haedrig's gift I'll put together while that's coming together), but I've switched mid-season before, it's based on your gear so if you don't throw good items away it's pretty easy to change until you're deep into ancient-grinding.

More importantly, the abilities (at least for berserker) don't seem to be built around some kind of synergy that you're activating. You have 8 CD-based abilities that do varying levels of damage and you use them to kill guys. There's a bar that fills up and when it's full you press z and now those 8 abilities do extra damage. It's not what I'd call deep or engaging gameplay, but the presentation is ultra-polished so killing the guys with a giant sword does feel loving good.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nunes posted:

The seasons I played D3 each class had one build that vastly out-performed every other build for that season when trying to push rifts.

Depends on the class & the season- right now all classes but 2 have at least a couple top-tier builds, and one of the classes that has only one- barbarian- was more diverse last season when there was a fourth slot. Different builds will respond differently to the season gimmick though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's also worth noting that the theorycrafting around the gimmick isn't always top notch. So I was playing savage frenzy two seasons ago when it was listed as two tiers lower than whirwind rend (the perennial favorite) but it was pretty clear that recent improvements and the gimmick put it on par with rend and it had slipped by- at the time, frenzy was listed as two tiers below rend. Then last season people noticed it and it was moved up two tiers. This season is less favorable to it so it's moved down a tier, but it is still listed as higher than it was two seasons ago, despite nothing actually changing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hum this bitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNArloedtY

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I hate modern MMO quest design- you can see it in XIV, SOLO. Retail WoW has it too a little even though not as bad, and the quests are much fancier and more varied. They want you to consume some atom of narrative, so they do that, and then go "oops, forgot to put in gameplay!" and then have you like kill 3 things or touch three interactibles. It's always 3. They never want a quest to take longer than like 60 seconds of actual gameplay and all the time played is buffered out by travel time and cutscenes and quest text. The result is that you have like 100 hours of gameplay and it's mostly travel and reading. Retail wow's particular variant of this is a massive percentage of your time spent on weird scripted minigames. Classic wow's quest length is correct- you actually spend most of your time playing the game! Just chilling out mass-murdering bears for their asses, that's what I got into this for. If we're going to have narrative theme park where I go from place to place passively absorbing the story, maybe the quests could be designed by someone who doesn't hate their own game's gameplay.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's hard to absorb the idea that not only do people put up with ffxiv's narrative poo poo but that they consider it vital to the mmo experience

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I just found out last night that meridian 59 still exists and is free to play on steam. Like most people I didn't play it when it was relevant but it is charmingly archaic and I had a little bit of fun last night going "hahaha WHAT" at every interaction I had with the ui

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That's not really true, though. UOs peak was like a year after eqs release and eq didn't surpass those numbers until like 2002. If someone wanted to argue that trammel is what handed the market to Sony they could, although I think the rolling disaster of origin throwing out a lot of half baked eq killer ideas like a 3d client probably had a bigger impact, and trammel was just one facet (heh) of that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

kedo posted:

UO’s population peaked in 2003 which was three years after the release of UO Renaissance, which introduced Tram/Fel.

To the best of my knowledge, this is not true although I may be wrong. My understanding is that immediately after Renaissance's release, UOs player base immediately doubled, but then it stopped growing entirely, where it had grown 50% YoY up to that point (for two years).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm not unsympathetic to how that happened by the way, EQ in its first year gained half as many subscribers as UO lost (even while growing from 100k to 150k net subscribers). Origin execs probably had some spreadsheet estimating what would happen if they could make established players stop acting like assholes and they couldn't understand it back then because the last cell just said "WoW". It's clear when Koster talks about it that everyone was loving tired of morality as a design problem by the time EQ came out and then they had 100k subscribers who were happy to just PvE and he was like "wow you can just do that, huh".

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

These UO stories make it seem like if Gary's Mod was a RPG.

When UO was really good it was like when Rust is really good. And when it was really bad it was like Rust the rest of the time.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For trust to be possible, combat can't hand a huge advantage to whoever hits first. If someone who is interested in peace has to start shooting if something seems hinky then peace can't exist

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

This is interesting because in a more realistic dayz scenario, strangers exchanging gun fire for no reason would easily be risking mutual death from bleeding or infection, but in games you just hit the bandage button and no harm no foul.

In real life there's a lot of ways of getting a durable advantage over someone that can keep you safe. In a video game there's really only one way. I think that DayZ tried to deal with this by doing stuff like adding handcuffs but ultimately if your life is your gear then peacefully letting someone rob you isn't a great deal. In something like UO or whatever, at least letting people who've been ambushed have some kind of advantage will create a tense situation since nobody wants to go first.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nunes posted:

I think the issue is that there has not been a mechanism in games like DayZ where you get punished for being hostile towards someone who isn't an aggressor. If there was some way to balance that, then I think there would be a drop off in people shooting without asking first.

Would that mechanism be more punishing than getting killed?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't think the plan was for there to be an end to the murder. Koster has made it clear that he wanted an ongoing battle between people who become heroes and villains through their relationships with other players. The problem was that random violence was never tamped down enough for those taking part in it to be "villains" and there was neither a functioning path to being a hero nor am incentive to do so even in terms of like recognition from other players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think EVE is proof that you can have a pretty brutal world provided that you are straightforward about the level of risk people are taking on and there is an actual path to avoiding that risk long-term. By contrast, Albion is very honest about the level of risk people are taking on, but at a certain point there's not a lot of reason to keep playing if you're not going into nullsec zones since the main city and all high level resources are there, and UO just frequently lied to you about the level of risk you were under until trammel was released.

EDIT: Also in EVE, the cost of getting owned, like with the division black zones, is mostly limited to your current outing. Insurance goes a long way to making replacing your ship feel not-so-bad, and EVE gear is already commodity-based, although I believe UO had that also. Taking cash and making your current effort fail is a lot more palatable than taking whatever amount of time some epic piece of gear might represent.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 1, 2021