Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't understand criticism of "theme park" MMOs or MMOs being "just a theme park".

Theme parks loving own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So it turns out a private server for City of Heroes has been privately running all this time with strict NDAs and ruthless banning of anyone who might reveal what was going on, but the secret is out now and Reddit is in butthurt histrionics about it screaming that City of Heroes subreddit mods were gaslighting them the whole time.

Ain't quite no drama like MMO drama.

Article here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ashrum3 posted:

so i am play last last oasis under my user name i find it fun

Sparrownyx posted:

Ok so i was told by some one to post in sa that im playing in Oasis so here i am hope this is the right one. I go by sparrowmystic and under goon swarm as a group name In NA East

So what is it about Last Oasis that causes this?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Has anyone done anything in the turn-based MMO space recently? I gather Dofus and Wakfu are still running.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jimlit posted:

Nah, my fiancé has been trying for weeks to get her account transferred. Customer support kept telling her that she's not the real account owner and to send a picture of her ID next to newspaper with a recent date. Finally bit the bullet and did it, they still told her she wasn't the account owner. She's probably going to lose the account and whatever hundreds of hours of went into it.

Also possibly her identity.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Bless Online first launched as a Korean-only game developed by Neowiz. It failed, then relaunched in Korea with the bless "Rebuild Project", then launched a western port/remake. The Korean bless rebuild died in 2018. The western version died in 2019. Then in 2020 Round 8 Studios remade it as a console game under the name Bless Unleashed.
Then in 2021 the original Bless devs, Neowiz, bought the rights back (?) and ported the Bless Unleashed console remake back to PC, with some remake stuff of their own and a lot of mechanic changes (so it wasn't a straight port).

So Bless Unleashed steam is a PC port+remake of a console port+remake of a western TL+remake of a Korean remake of the original Bless.

Bless more like Curse haha got ‘em

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'd be keen to give Book of Travels a shot once I get some free time after this weekend. It's certainly a different vibe than the other MMO choices out there.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright I bought Book of Travels, trip report coming some time tomorrow.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Well, they market it as a Tiny Multiplayer Online RPG rather than an MMO so that tracks. 7 per server is still lower than I thought, though. I managed to make a character and walk around for a while. The game is certainly stunningly beautiful and has an incredible vibe/mood to it, even if I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

With the intentionally restricted communication and small amount of players occupying a larger world it does feel like someone said "Hey what if Journey was an RPG?" and I'm here for that.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’d say it mostly resembles a point and click adventure game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

Ffxiv is an mmo too despite being 99% instanced 4 to 8 man fights

correct

Jackard posted:

GW1 was a better mmo

incorrect

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I miss the days of well populated MUDs everywhere.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cmdrk posted:

what would it take you to get back to MUDs? is it just the missing population?

i often fire up a MUD, get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of poo poo going on in the first 50 paragraphs of text it throws at me, and then nope right out of there. for me, i think it's partially the medium and partially the fact that the MUDs have had 20+ years of content and stuff added. and, yeah, when searching for a MUD i'm definitely guilty of sorting by population.

Being 16 and having zero responsibilities, tons of free time and the ability to regularly stay up gaming until 4am again would also help a ton.

There's definitely an approachability problem where MUDs haven't really taken any of the design lessons that modern MMOs have, but at the same time I can't blame them. A lot of them are sheer passion projects as it is and people won't see any sort of financial return on the amount of time and effort they need to invest in coding and building. I think also for some long-established MUDs that have managed to retain a decent playerbase, substantial change of any kind comes with a degree of risk - a lot of the players who've stuck around will react to the idea of change not unlike a vampire hissing at a crucifix.

I think to get back into a MUD at this point I'd need it to have a population of around ~30 or so folks on in my time zone, do something modern/interesting with the game and combat design, and not retread ground that's already been well trodden by other games because I spent years sinking huge amounts of time into a variety of MUDs so anything that feels too same-y will immediately lose my interest.

That magical theoretical MUD will never exist.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

i thought the discworld mud was neat for like the 2 hours total i played

The Discworld MUD is pretty fantastic. It was one of the first MUDs I ever really sunk a lot of time into, the sheer size of Ankh-Morpork (the main city) alone was bigger than some other MUDs, but it had actual effort put in to making unique and well written room descriptions at least across the main roads. At least once a year or so I'll make a new character and wander around for nostalgia, do some quests that I remember, hang out in whatever guild space I've picked this time and just generally luxuriate in the nostalgia, but it's too much of a time sink to get reinvested the way I once did.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Don’t make me tap the thread title.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Actually I'm thoroughly owned because I could have sworn the title was "there will never be a good MMO ever again" and turns out I've been misreading it for years.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Looks very dark, drab and generic for something claiming inspiration from Miyazaki / Ghibli aesthetics imho.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

Naval Action, long time naval sim game with buy in, is now f2p.

It will have 3 servers that merge into one and will have a 3 month seasonal wipe.

It is a really bad idea and just lol.

I have weighed up getting Naval Action multiple times and always deferred because the reviews seemed fairly negative.
Doesn't look like the transition to F2P is being received well by the player base.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I mostly played DPS but seeing folks try and do wall pulling in low level content before DPS have their AOE rotations online feels real, real bad.
As soon as I had my toolset though I ended up preferring it, the mechanical interest to me lies solely in the boss fights. Quite honestly if you excised trash packs completely so that a dungeon was just a series of pretty corridors that connected boss fights, I'd be 100% fine with it. I accept that's not going to be a universal opinion.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There was a MUD thread for ages in TG for whatever reason but yeah once Retro Games opened a new MUD thread sprang up there.

I go through a cycle every oh, eight months or so? of spinning up a character on the Discworld MUD, trundling around my favourite parts of Ankh-Morpork, doing the quests I can remember of the top of my head and then immediate stop playing because I can't plunge hundreds of hours into that game like I did when I was young. Extremely fond memories though, great game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

Upcoming Game has ~potential~ to be The Game In My Head, so I'm pinning my identity to it now.

I will throw an absolute hissy fit every time someone mentions something about Upcoming Game that I don't like.

When it is available to play I will continually grade it on what I think it should be instead of what it is, and write angry messages to the developers who dare to make the game they want it to be.

When the next online thing approaches launch I will abandon this game, publicly bashing the dev team for abandoning the potential I ascribed to their game.

I will never realize that I am in this cycle.

Shame this is too long for a thread title tbh

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

I want to suffer. It's why I play mmos

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o!
Goldberry, Goldberry, merry yellow berry-o!
Poor old Willow-man, you tuck your roots away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again water-lilies bringing.
Hey! Come derry dol! Can you hear me singing?

With how hosed up I got wandering around the Old Forest in release LOTRO, I can tell you I was loving relieved to find Tom's house.