Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I know I’d be interested in RPing but I’s probably have to change my FFXIV character’s name from Buff Garfield

one of the fun things about roleplay is that good communities will "yes, and" silly poo poo the same way improv groups do as long as you're willing to commit to the bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the wow factor of playing with millions of people will never come back and people are mostly making their friends on discords before even going into the game now

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think there's a real possibility of a break through of a simple and intuitive virtual world style mmo similar to runescape classic but different enough to draw in its own audience if it has a heavy social slant that streamers can lean on to entertain audiences.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Debatably this is what VR chat is, just without any conflict or RPG elements.

But yeah, I can't imagine that something that is essentially VR Second Life can be more than a decade away.

yeah vrchat is a little clunky but it borrows a lot of creative power from unity and the worlds people can make are really impressive

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's no universe where the Riot MMO is good.

it's not gonna be good but im morbidly curious if it will end up being popular anyway or die fast after the initial wave of enthusiasm

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sorry it took us so long to save you from TIME PRISON, God

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

blatman posted:

this is exactly why every time I introduce a friend to FFXIV they end up quitting by level 40 or 50, which sucks because once you get to shadowbringers i'd rate the shb story as one of the better and more coherent final fantasy stories but you gotta slog through essentially 1 bad, 2 mediocre and 1 great full length single-player JRPGs to catch up with your pals (bad = ARR, mediocre = Heavensward and Stormblood)

like it DOES get better, and they did cull a lot of the fluff in the ARR grind recently but the problem you identified is still there and still a huge issue, especially when you factor in the jobs that are expansion/level gated, which makes sense considering this is the company that made final fantasy 5 but it sucks rear end if you really want to play as a dancer or a dark knight or red mage because now you've gotta slog through enormous heaps of content to get to them

the catch with ffxiv is that you really have to enjoy the journey. like 90% of the people I know who bought a skip burned out of the game because they weren't invested at all in the ongoing story or the characters. they'd enjoy one raid tier and then peace out.

a lot of the quests are more of an excuse to get you moving between points to fill in the world and set up plot points that get knocked down later.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Story progression constricting content progression is a very valid complaint, if you're not into the story so much attention and love is poured into it that pushing through it is just a lot of time down the drain. ARR sets up a lot of what makes the expansions so good but the fact it was developed in a frantic timeframe still shows in a lot of places even after the Great Cruft Purge.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kedo posted:

Agreed, AO had a great community and that's a big reason why I sunk thousands of hours into the game. In fact I was so into it that I applied to be an Advisor of Rubi-Ka (basically an unpaid, volunteer mod) waaaaay back in probably 2004 or so, and spent many hours "helping" newbies in the training areas. If I recall correctly, I sat through a 2-3 hour training session in IRC after which I was released into the wild with a modified game client and account that allowed me to teleport to individual players and follow them around while invisible to see if they looked like they were running into any problems. If they seemed confused, I would pop out of invisibility right in front of them (usually doing a ridiculous emote), and would channel Clippy: "WELCOME TO RUBI-KA, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE HAVING SOME TROUBLE KILLING LEETS, DO YOU NEED ANY ASSISTANCE?!"

90% of people ignored me, 9% asked for money and were immediately annoyed when I said I didn't actually have any to give them (I really didn't!), and 1% asked for help. When I wasn't "helping" newbs, I spent my time chilling in the secret advisor zone chatting with random folks. It was awesome.

Unrelated: are there any modern MMOs out there that have solo content that's actually difficult?

ff14 has the solo Palace of the Dead and Heaven on High challenges, which are difficult both on the level of being tense and of being tedious endurance slogs where catching an unlucky break because of the roguelite mechanics can set you back a ton of hours.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Well, in WoW, the main way players interact with each other is running PvE content together in pick-up groups. Either randos or loosely organized dungeon/raid groups. So your progression is tied to the performance of the people you play with. This makes WoW players toxic af.

I doubt that's the sole reason. Duty finder in FFXIV is the same thing but generally either quiet or pleasant, toxic people exist but ime tend to be more common in organized statics as opposed to pugs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pandaal posted:

I see this brought up a lot and it’s never acknowledged that Duty Finder content is faceroll easy compared to a lot of matchmade content in WoW. Yes, there are other systems adding stakes (and therefore, pressure) to the WoW content but I think it’s understated how much toxicity the challenge adds when you’re running with pubbies.

I don't know, content is designed so that a handful of players that know what they're doing can effortlessly carry the rest, but on patch weeks where few people really know what they're doing and there's tons of wipes resulting in a lot of lost time (usually on normal and alliance raid releases) people are still gung-ho and chipper.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Truga posted:

yeah. because big studios figured out people will grind and subscribe/microtransact for your game even when it's offline so MMOs lost a niche :v:

realtalk, mmos with level sync are the best way to play RPGs with friends. i play at my pace, my friends play at their own pace, but we can always play together. i can play with that guy who's online for weeks at a time, and that guy who's online once every few weeks, and thanks to level sync it's not a problem

I like how in FFXIV there are always some roulettes (queue for random content of a specific type) I can do with low-level friends and get useful endgame rewards for. It's a good way for them to take a break from the long and intensive story content and chill with us.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the important part is getting the ability to port to your friends' fc or personal housing so you can chill in the district sitting in their namazu effigy's sacrificial basket

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its a nice and warm feeling when you do old content with a friend who's going through it all for the first time and get to hear/read them gush over the cutscenes, imo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like that every generation has their own virtual world sorta deal that gets big, latest being VRChat of course.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

This is the same reason why I think there will never be another MMO worth playing like Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, and early WoW was for a lot of people my age.

Just last week I read about some "movement" a poster was trying to start in MMOs. Basically, they said that to enjoy modern MMOs all you have to do is not read online guides or watch youtube videos about the game. If you did this, all the feelings you had for old school MMOs would return.

I think what they failed to realize is just how difficult it would be to truly do this in a game like modern WoW. I want to see a new person start Shadowlands Mythic dungeons (not even raids) without knowing the spec you are supposed to be, which gear attributes you need, your rotation, and every detail about the dungeon encounters. I want to see how quickly they would be kicked out of the group.

This could only work if you found a solid group of people with the same mindset. That could actually be an interesting experiment.

I mean people have to actually do the content to know how to make guides for it. There's always a sort of vanguard doing the content blind.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pandaal posted:

Seriously, people say they don’t want theme parks (which seems to be what people end up calling every PvE-centric MMO) but then they also don’t want open PvP but there needs to be some sort of conflict unless you want a single player lifeskilling game?

Could there be an mmo that’s not combat-centric? Guess that would be cool.

uru whats this

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pandaal posted:

What I’ve been able to scrape up from the usual channels is “Eastern Action Combat MMO with PvE that’s surprisingly not P2W and actually exists in a playable form” but those things on paper, if true, should generate a level of hype I’m not seeing so... what’s the catch?

My guess is people feel very burned by games like that turning out to have massive, critical flaws and/or go more and more pay to win over time

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ngl that hardcore challenge version of Jedi where you make the most out of inevitably getting murdered sounds rad as hell

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

I never understand fishing in games. I don't want to fish in games. I don't want to fish in real life. Why is fishing always included?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

World of Fortnite

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

wolfs posted:

would a Discworld MMO just be a fantasy mmo with jokes and lovely wizards

thats basically what the discworld MUD was/is iirc

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mmos should steal ateliers' attribute/property/quality crafting

so i can bring 999 quality nukes into pvp zones :twisted:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

you only get two or more launches

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's toxic people in ffxiv but they're mostly siloed off in hardcore content and rarely if ever bleed into the casual stuff most players are doing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

They ban toxic people.

They don't ban parses.

Some toxic people use parsers.

they ban for third party tools including parses if you make it really obvious you're using them and they happen to see the evidence. they just don't know or care if you don't like, confess in game by harassing someone for grey parsing or post screenshots of ACT somewhere a GM happens to be paying attention.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Anno posted:

I just don’t think the game had a class that I can really get invested in. I like playing utility/buffing/debuffing type classes, which I think just don’t exist in MMOs anymore. I like tanking, too, but I’m really just over running the current conception of instances.

dancer was a decent suggestion for dps but have you been able to try Astrologian for healing yet? their buffs are very simple damage ups but keeping the plate spinning on them can be pretty engaging.

generally in ffxiv there's buffs and debuffs but responsibility for them is spread pretty thin across all roles. tanks and ranged can interrupt, casters have an ability that lowers int/mind, melee have an ability to lower str/dex, ranged have a solid raid-wide defense buff. there are job specials here and there too; ninjas' trick attack is a vulnerability up debuff that is so important other jobs have entire rotations designed around it, astrologians have the card system mentioned earlier

ffxiv definitely lacks a pure support differentiated from a healer, though, there's nothing like what you could do with, say, mesmer in GW1. there's just not room in the design space that they decided on for the game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i still love that the way soken celebrated defeating cancer was shitposting on stage

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

LLSix posted:

[Citation needed]

Is this true? Have there been any studies done?

Why would you play an MMORPG if you're that uninterested in the world?

I've seen some here and there in ffxiv who all but advertise it saying like "lol i don't know why i'm here" that are fun to roast but we ultimately clear the content and continue on our way. That said it is definitely not "most", a lot more people I've seen get so invested in the story they're gushing and cracking jokes about it in the duty.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Records of Eminence gives it more purpose. Eureka in FFXIV really refined the formula.

It's always odd in FFXIV that after a major cutscene you do a dungeon/trial and all of a sudden there are 3 other random people with you.

it's heavily implied in-game and in supplemental material outside of it that the player character inherited a portion of an ancient being's power and legacy to make friends easily and pull them out of their rear end to go on adventures

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

first person severely limits player field of vision, preventing them from seeing what's in their far flank and back, so the user interface and the gameplay would both have to be built with that in mind for the experience not to be frustrating

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked some of the character writing in gw2, rytlock brimstone in particular is pretty memorable

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

What.. what do these companies and directors get out of protecting male employees who drink and play video games all day, who delegate their work to female employees?

Like, they fire people all the time but not these lazy useless drunks?

Because they do and have done the same and the more like-minded people they surround themselves with the easier it is to collectively get away with it until their hubris eventually catches up.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

wolfs posted:

Riots been making a fighting game too for like… 3 years

they’re p slow

is that the one they bought out and cannibalized an existing game to make

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think one of the few EGMs I had a physical copy of instead of just reading the copies the library had was the one with the preview of Vanguard hyping up poo poo like the diplomacy system

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ime in ffxiv the players who do that can sometimes be a bit chaotic/drunk so if you accept that you'll probably only get practice and laughs out of it you can have a really good time

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

looked at burglars and they have a skill that just makes people sneeze for no reason and that rules. dunno if i have time to actually play it but im picking that up

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what stood out for me in NG is how homogenous all the classes feel. they have really weak identities compared to their base PSO2 iterations, there are differences between weapons but not in a way that feels really meaningful. pso2 base had tons of techs and photon arts and in NG they're all squeezed into a tiny number of actions with way too much symmetry.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I've had a lot of great social experiences in FFXIV including partying with and meeting strangers in Eureka and Bozja and I always wonder whether people complaining that that sort of thing is dead are afraid to initiate or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the trick in FFXIV is that a lot of social activity and community building happens in the housing districts, so a decent amount of it is opt-in but at the same time very active. personally my energy level for social activity varies a lot so I appreciate that.