Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Phoix posted:

I played one of the beta weekends and it was actually pretty promising but the box fee+subscription for what is already an extremely niche MMO seems psychotic

I'd love to hear any other thoughts you had about the game. Are there quests? How's the writing? Is the combat "dangerous" the way it is in EQ and Wow Classic and isn't in FF14?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pryce posted:

So...I think I'll probably wait to try it out.

Yeah I found this gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSRsLO3mShk

It's badly unoptimized visually and the sound and animations make combat seem muddled and unresponsive. I'll wait; if it ends up coming together I'll probably hear about it from word of mouse or at some noteworthy gaming news outlet.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Has anyone here tried "turtle wow"? It's a private wow server with custom content, and seems to have a healthy player base. I got it running last night and indecisively leveled several humans through Northshire abby. I'm a little confused though, I'd swear I'd read that this game let you mix and match skills to build custom classes but to my inexpert eyes it all looked more or less vanilla?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaysette posted:

You’re thinking of wow ascension

http://ascension.gg

:argh: Well that was a waste of drat time!

Like all MMOs :ssh:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Is anyone playing Embers Adrift? Is this MMO the garbage title that I am assuming it is?

I'm really thinking I'm not going to be able to resist buying it this weekend.

The biggest real knocks against it I can infer from twitch streams and reviews are:

1) That the overworld is literally unremarkable, as in there isn't the sort of unique landmarks and design that would support it's no map, no mini map choice.

2) There's only one player race and there currently isn't a graphics programmer on the three person team.

3) it's poorly optimized. This is a big question for me. I'm only on a 3060, will it even run well?

But when I read reviews like this it, I just see a whole lot of "this is the bullshit I want"

https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/embers-adrift-might-not-be-the-mmo-for-me-and-thats-okay-2000126401

The other big question I have is, is the writing any good. And I'm not asking for an MMO written by Cormac McCarthy; like, I consider the defias quest line from Northshire to DeadMines a perfectly adequate narrative, but I don't know if Embers hits that.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 19, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The real poison is when you learn to play the game yourself, like you would any other single player game, and party members start to complain that aren't playing optimally.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd think you could make a game that handles all the calculations server side and gives a bunch of random hidden modifiers to weapons and skills, but most people wouldn't like it.

I would! You could have thematic descriptions of powers but you don't see the numbers so st most you're eyeballing it as you fight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's genuinely sad because I can't think of any other genre that used to be a dominant genre, one that was the game some people liked the most that just ... Doesn't exist any more?

Like, RTSs have fallen from grace, but new ones, and very good ones, still come out. Same for flight sims, complicated western style RPGs etc etc. Your EQ, WoW, CoH style MMOs just doesn't exist any more, it's really kind of nuts that a decent ish AA incarnation made by a stable and competent dev team has never materialized. Boomer shooter, myst-like, rogue like, you can find very good versions of all of these, but not an"traditional" tab targeting MMO.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You don't need THAT many people for a healthy MMO. Turtle wow only has one PvE server, right? How many people do you need for a healthy wow server, a thousand per faction? Five? Every time I log onto Turtle WoW to play it's fine, there are players in every zone and I can do whatever I want.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Eimi posted:

AFAIK FFXI back in the day had a max of about 4-5k people per server. I don't remember seeing more than 2k online on a server at once, but these are 20 years old memories so... But you absolutely can make an mmo server feel packed and lively with that many people if you design the game properly. Hell I don't know how you do an old school more field based mmo and make it work with more than that.

I know this isn't news to anyone in the thread, but of course WoW split it's player base in two, and there's no need for that if you're doing a purely PvE game.

EQ was essentially PvE, right? Like sure you can gank someone I guess? But it wasn't faction based like wow?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pandaal posted:

I'm in this boat too after playing every MMO under the sun for the last 20 years. Most recently, sticking with New World until the community finally admitted to itself it's circling the drain. I've accepted that the kinds of MMOs I like (subscription based, no cash shop) don't really exist anymore and the ones that do exist are basically just second jobs for people with enough time to do that for fun. I don't begrudge the folks who still enjoy those at all but the loop there just feels like a huge waste of my increasingly limited gaming time. I'm aware of and have played GW2 and other "horizontal progression" games but cash shops make the time wasting components of those games glaringly obvious too.

I've also realized that all the while I've been using my limited vidya game time playing games that aren't really MMOs, but are really just the good parts of MMOs, namely The Division 2 and surprisingly, Fortnite. So I can just stick with those and get the same happy chemicals without mindlessly collecting bear asses.

I guess what I'm getting at is, for all of the faults of "live service gaming", when it's done right it can provide the same sense of progression that MMOs used to but with core gameplay that's actually fun of it's own merit. This might be why people largely don't care about the genre anymore.

When monsters and memories comes out I really think I might just sub, and stay subbed, regardless of how much I actually play, because it's like we're just going to have to use the patronage model to will a traditional MMO into existence. I'd have to find out they're all scamming us or vile racists for me not to just end in "look, just keep working away on what is essentially a historical recreation of what a MMO used to be".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait, do the rents go to another player or is that money or whatever just disappearing?