Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no, is the answer

what do you want in your dream MMO?

i want a sandbox MMO that isn't just a gankbox and has some other poo poo to do in it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WebDO posted:

Torn between calling to ban the OP because there was never a good MMO or trolling the thread by saying Fallout 76 will be the answer, please advise

why not both

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Since there's no MMORPG general chat thread and the Wildstar thread is archived, this thread will have to suffice.

RIP noted bad game Wildstar

https://kotaku.com/wildstar-developer-carbine-studios-shuts-down-1828862729

you guys can talk about whatever in this thread

hopefully it would be vaguely mmo related but i dont really care that much

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agoat posted:

Graal loving owned so hard. I miss Unholy Nation.

I just want an MMO where I can work on getting rich without an auction house.

if Trion hadn't hosed Archeage into the ground with pay to win, that would have been the game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
isnt it just old MMO Oort Online

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way, Frozenbyte just announced voxel eve basically

https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/28/new-mmo-starbase-pretty-much-sounds-like-everquest-next-in-space-plus-robots/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/454120/Starbase/

discord.gg/starbase

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they're doing a post apocalyptic survival mmo that is basically set in the universe of 'Wild Wild West'

its called last oasis

eonwe fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 11, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mmos are bad still, in my opinion

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol wow classic is still somehow the best mmo 15 years later

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the worst part of launch Archeage: hasla grinding
the best part of launch Archeage: destroying people with your sick hasla bow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im a dipshit, i picked up archeage unchained

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bandaid.friend posted:

The people who did Black Desert are going to announce three MMOs this month, all they've shown so far is concept art but this particular one is too sweet not to share

I want to make friends with dog prince and pangolin knight and boxing bear

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/07/counter-strikes-creator-will-reveal-mmo-shooter-plan-8-next-week/

hell yeah

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id love to try FF XIV again I think

I heard if you can suffer through the vanilla content the rest is graet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kaysette posted:

Here’s more on the new version of New World, sounds kind of poo poo tbh

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-world-h...uffer_pcgamerfb

this mmo sounds like the product of like 10 different product managers all making the developers do different things and then they jammed it into a single game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

there can't be another good mmo if there was never a good mmo

confirmed

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id take release day archeage prior to them selling thunderstrucks and then ruining trade, but its impossible to not completely gently caress up Archeage through greed apparently

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

Did any of the Arch Age rereleases capture that feel? Ive lost count of how many times Trion has rereleased AA at this point. I was tempted to try the new server on at least one occasion but I think Im pretty much done with anything Trion has been involved in at this point.

no, every AA fresh start was a clusterfuck from what I understand

I think they're even doing *another* fresh start?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

This thread is the closest thing we've got to general chat, so i'm gonna go ahead and sticky it

thanks! if someone would like to do a thread with an actual OP or whatever, feel free!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
didn't two separate people buy the rights to it and they both did their own versions of Darkfall, splitting the already tiny fanbase?

also they're going to show off New World on the PC gaming show soon, im sure its going to be groundbreaking :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow that new world trailer was a thematic mess

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Froshty posted:

Has anyone looked into the Bezos MMO(New World) coming out soon? From what I gathered, looks like poo poo.

I assume the overriding design philosophy of New World is whatever the coked out dev thought up and then makes the devs rework each week because its been like 3 different games now

its gonna be garbo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good new name

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my favorite thing in an MMO was loving with afkers too

I used to play Mortal Online and the 'premier' launch clan for it would go to Gaul' Kor (a lawless mining town) and AFK macro mine

I didn't even actually kill them. I'd stand in front of them, and shove them once away from the wall, and they'd spend the rest of their AFK time mining the air :smug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I realized what I want

a Discworld MMO

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if I haven't played WoW retail since like, the first expansion

is it worth bothering

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ty for stopping me in my moment of weakness

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

yes, actually. I think they finally squished the terrible MSQ and once you get into expansion territory the game is pretty baller

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
FFXIV is great because you'll see lots of new faces doing dailies while you are running dungeona and if you are a healer you basically instant skip through the queue

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Animal Crossing multiplayer was DOA for me just because every time anyone joined it put everyone in like a 30-45 second unskippable cutscene, and same when they left

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
XL is making Archeage 2 lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well some goons harbored a pedo who groomed an icelandic teenager (and had a boat with a pedobear sail and the boat was named Icelandic Teenager iirc)
there were fishing pacts that caused goons to PvP each other
they started selling something that essentially gave you the most prized crafting thing in the game at that time (thunderstuck logs)
hackers grabbed land and the company did nothing
you could basically just go outside the world and plant hundreds of trees guaranteeing you thunderstruck logs

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
despite what I said, Archeage is the best modern MMO I ever played and I will very likely pick up AA2

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The game on launch is legit one of the coolest MMOs I ever played. It had all kinds of fun and interesting stuff for PvPers, crafters, griefers, there was a social aspect, trading, etc.

I had one of 4 houses on Freedich because I planned out my route in beta got enough gilda, and spammed my glider through the ocean all the way out to Freedich. I then stealthed stage packs onto my house and turned them in when it was 100% safe and got myself a trade ship nearly solo.

Archeage 2 will probably have a bunch of stupid pay to win poo poo baked into it, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

I kind of feel like it required you to do that, I lucked into some time to get in at launch and steal a good plot but the poors really had to fight for any space at all. Or you could just be that one goon that planted trees on the bottom of the map. So limited land will probably be dropped, and thus a lot of the appeal of the game.

I just hope they are actually given the ability to fix blatantly broken things this time instead of the bizarre contractual stuff they had before.

lots of goons had to get land in Windscour Savannah, the ugliest zone in the entire game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Id be curious to see what AA2 would be like with Trion removed from managing the game. There seemed to be some really serious issues between XL and Trion, and considering Trion's reputation I am not sure if most of the blame should be on XL. I mean fucks sake, the game went down for like two weeks at one point with Trion offering damned near zero explanation.

The game was seriously fun though. I was willing to ignore the exploiting and a lot of other issues because of that. Even scrambling to get a plot of land in the early days was kind of fun. Standing around a plot running a macro hoping to snipe an expiring plot with dozens of other people was one of those weird social experiences that you dont have in MMOs very often these days.

Trion definitely has some blame, but XL Games was pretty notorious about refusing to update their game in a way to make it palatable to an NA audience. A lot of the way the game was designed had pay to win sort of baked into it, and when they tried to relaunch as Unchained they just stripped out the cash stop elements but without any other changes. Unchained was a pretty big mess even by MMO standards.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pfft traveling, you type GINYU FORCE RULES in chat and redeploy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mortal online was perhaps the best MMO experience ive ever had and i met lots of long time friends from it

I own MO2 and its fun to run around in but there isnot al ot to do yet

I remember on launch everyone spawned at the bottom of a lake so deep that you would drown by the time you could get up for air, causing your naked body to ragdoll and your dick to flop around in the lake, and eventually there would be so many ragdolls that the server would crash and then be brought up to do it all over again

the lake is still known as Sausage Lake

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
VR Chat is the closest I've found to the MMO I want in a long time, which is a little sad but it can be so immersive

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Game Awards showing off Crimson Desert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FireWhizzle posted:

I think they switched to another engine too. I am spooked that they will MTX the willies out of it.

I would bet a lot of money that they will