Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

busalover posted:

The only MMO where I didn't notice any chudd-iness going on, was FFXIV. I think it's just plain "too gay" in its visual style and presentation. Do you, as a chud, really wanna play with cat people dudes wearing eyeliner and makeup? Don't think so.

There's tons of alt right freaks who play XIV. Rhelgar's reach chat was full of trumpers screaming about building walls and keeping illegals out back in stormblood. There's just no trade chat equiv which keeps your exposure to it limited.

Big overlap with all the ERP sex mod people too unsurprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Did they really make it so that only certain accounts could roll Jedi or did I just hallucinate that extremely weird business decision?

IIRC that was the original idea, I don't think that was how it was implemented at any point though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Aren't you hamstrung into a single build every season in Diablo 3 anyways? (it at least felt that way to me when I tried jumping in a few years ago) so lack of choices dont bug me much.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The problem isn't dungeon finder - it's putting 10+ servers or whatever in the same matchmaking group which leads to zero socialization cuz youll never see these people again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The problem is that MMOs are too massive now as the population of gamers has increased since the days of ultima & everquest.
"There are too many people to remember anyone specifically" is gonna be a problem in any game with the kind of population of a modern mmo.

I don't agree really. Vanilla WoW with its huge playerbase didn't have this problem imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think ARR is while not great, but tolerable if you don't view the game as "trying to get to the very end" like you would WoW or any other modern MMO where the game only starts at max. Viewing it purely as an obstacle is bound to make you frustrated.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FATEs used to be the only way to level up alt jobs because dungeons gave poo poo xp and there was no deep dungeon or roulette system. It loving sucked! Sure it was neat to see giant hordes of people standing motionless in town waiting for one to spawn but in practice in was not good.

Bozja has basically a good version of this though. FATEs lead to Critical Engagements which are like dungeon boss fights and then if you complete certain ones without getting hit by a mechanic a single time you qualify for a duel which is a tough as nails one on one fight with one of the big bad guys from the area. It's cool! Loved every minute I spent in Bozja.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

LLSix posted:

[Citation needed]

Is this true? Have there been any studies done?

Why would you play an MMORPG if you're that uninterested in the world?

This is entirely the reason why WoW for example started putting all the 'important' text in voiced little blurbs and not in the quest dialogue itself, because very few people actually read them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No harm in trying it out. It's a pretty satisfying grind game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

As someone who lived in the 04 era of RS I honestly prefer modern RS a lot more than OSRS but that's mostly because I ain't regrinding all this poo poo.

Yeah, as someone who cut their teeth on the OG classic runescape, I prefer Modern over Old School myself at this point. The combat overhaul is kinda hit or miss but I like it, and the new skills and stuff are cool.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everytime a game tries to do that crap it dies because people don't want to be camped 24/7 by hardcores with no life or whatever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I agree with you that the implementation has been lovely but please try to use your imagination

I mean, sure. I'm not saying stuff like what you described couldn't be cool in theory, but I've played MUDS with similar open freedom and either no one does that stuff at large or everyone does and that's the only group of people left after a while.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I remember Albion being unplayable around launch because you were KOS to the big clans in basically all the important zones unless you joined them, which they set a like 90% rate on you so you couldn't make any money yourself. Awful crap

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eco is the closest thing I can think of that meets that criteria.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bounced off SOLO kinda hard myself. I dug all the wuxia stuff but I'm not really versed in the genre so all the terminology combined with near machine level TL for everything not voiced was too much for me. Was able to refund it at least, might grab it down the line if they ever do another editing pass.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Every game that tries to bill itself as the perfect hardcore pvp mmo dies instantly because wouldn't you know it, people don't like being spawn camped endlessly by people with no lives who are able to play 12 hours a day 7 days a week to get the best stuff. No idea why anyone thinks the idea has any merit at all at this point.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Maybe it got better later but I could never get past everything revolving around salad jesus

Also missing out on Living Story stuff forever (I think that's rightfully changed now) was the dumbest loving thing

They apparently kill off Salad Jesus in one of the expacs and put you back in the spotlight.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's not really worth buying in yet anyways. I've been playing on their draft mode server for a bit and had some DP from the last x3 event so I bought in for fun and there's alot of cool groundwork but the level cap is 30 right now and the balance is all out of wack. It's pretty impressive at least. I got a Cultist to level 15 and I like their abilities.

I also don't really see why it's some big deal for them to get money for crap theyre doing. There's so much custom work done on the whole Ascension project in general, it's not just "WoW but with some custom items and NPCs" like every other private server.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 5, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

my question here would be if they are putting so much effort into it, why not just make a whole new mmorpg from the ground up with new lore and everything? why use entirely infringing assets and groundwork and everything else?

Well first off. I don't give a poo poo about some multi billion dollar corporation's intellectual rights or whatever. And making a new mmo from scratch is a crazy ask. Obviously what they're doing is legally murky but I don't really care much morally.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

It's not about whether we care morally or not. It's about how soon the company sees and cares and shuts the whole thing down.

If they are operating in a country that doesn't respect or give a poo poo about american IP laws I don't think there's any danger. They've been around quite a long time.

That being said, I do think all the eyes on it with the new season adding draft mode, combined with blizzard faceplanting with record losses and bad press I could see them getting desperate and going after private servers a bit more aggressively. Time will tell.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 6, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

New Genesis has like no content at all and won't until like January or something. Base PSO2 is real good and has tons of poo poo to do though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the combat feels great in NG and I like running around but it really needed another year or two in the oven before releasing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

i feel like what most people are talking about here is 'i wish i was 10.' like getting from point a to point b even in like, ff11 or vanilla everquest was never really fraught with danger once you knew what to do, the issue was just that nobody knew what to do because they were 10.

This is absolutely true. I got back into Runescape a few years ago after it consuming my life as a kid (The original! none of this "oldschool" poo poo they call runescape 2 now...drat I'm old) and realizing things that I remember being epic grand undertakings actually being extremely quick and easy now that I have the brain of an adult and know what to do was a shock to be sure.

I totally get wanting to recapture that magic again but it's just never going to happen tbh. Even if some theroetical mmo came out that DID somehow have stuff like this, it'd be optimized within a week and the magic would vanish.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you want proof of how little they give a poo poo about their narrative and lore: They released a lorebook a couple years ago to explain the origins of the setting and early days of the various races and stuff. It was well received and people actually liked it (I know I did!)

Then they released volume 2 a while later, which contradicted tons of stuff in volume 1 and when this was brought up Blizzard just responded with "oh uhh the first one was written by an unreliable narrator who didn't know the full story :)" Even though it was marketed and sold as a definitive lore book.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Botting and gold farmers got really out of control on Classic too.

I thought this was a good video about how real poo poo everything got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy89LRQ9muw

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

queeb posted:

how is OSRS so popular? i fired it up because hey, mobile client but man, its rough

For me it's mostly nostalgia but it's also real popular with people who were babies or not even born when it came out so I dunno, it has some sort of wider appeal I guess just the simplistic nature of the grind in it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, it also has a big community of Youtubers who do dumb challenge runs who are fun to watch which helps.

Watching the Swampletics finale last week was a treat. What a journey.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bounced off the open beta pretty hard. Just was bland as hell. I liked the TV show alot though for some reason. It was fun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I miss the era of a billion korean low/mid budget MMOs being made and hastily brought over, cuz yeah you got weird rear end poo poo like Valkyrie Sky or Atlantica, etc.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

It’s cool that Zenith is fun to play. Please enjoy it while it lasts because no one uses their VR for anything other than hyper immersed gooning sessions.

What does this even mean. Are you feeling ok??

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's absolutely miserable though. Trying to dodge roll and avoid AoE markers feels so bad in first person.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

LLSix posted:

More important for most people, it seems to have significant pay to win elements.

Nothing I saw in the cash shop looked particularly pay 2 win, unless I missed something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The only good announcement was Wrath of the Lich King classic server.

Nah, they're going to gently caress that up too. Selling boosts and wowtokens means the botting epidemic that completely ruined Classic will not be dealt with at all. Real bummer since Wrath is my fav expac and would resub in a heartbeat if they didn't ruin it.

DaitoX posted:

So why bother going trough that in TBCC, just wait for WotLKC and do it with dungeon finder right?! Just quest, queue up for dungeon every now and then clear a dungeon, no spamming needed or anything. So yeah ... guess I won't have to resub for a while.

They announced they are not going to be implementing dungeon finder in wrath classic to "keep the sense of community the Classic playerbase wants" (lol)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

busalover posted:

They realised it's only grognards playing, so they're going to cater to that.

Which I think is going to backfire since Wrath was when the game really became accessible. Most of the clunky things from Vanilla and TBC were ironed out and raiding was extremely easy to get into with catch up mechanics etc. I can't see the "hardcore" crowd really sticking with it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

As someone who only played WoW before any expansions the idea that it was hardcore is very funny coming from OG MMOs but for a lot of people it must've been their first.

I agree entirely. WoW was only 'hardcore' in the sense that people had no idea wtf they were doing and lack of centralized information meant things were much more time consuming or difficult than intended. There's a reason why every raid just crumpled the day it opened in Classic.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No dungeon finder was fine in an era where dungeons were not really mandatory progression vectors, like in classic wow you could do dungeons but you didn't really need to. There wasn't a daily progression loop based around it like there is in the modern game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I agree with what you are saying in general, but the catch up mechanics were already in the game in the burning crusade. I caused a RL friend of mine to quit WoW forever by linking a green staff I got off of a boar in hellfire peninsula and laughing at how it was better than the staff he had spent countless nights raiding to get from Nefarian. He logged out and never played again.

Oh yeah, expansions always come with resets. I more meant how by wrath you could jump in when ICC released and gear up to do it without being forced to find a group to prog through Naxx - > Ulduar before finally getting to do the current stuff.

e: Heroic dungeons being extremely easy compared to burning crusade helped too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I recently got into GW2 and the game is super alive. I see huge amounts of people at basically every world boss (even old ones) and just in most areas doing stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I am going to see if PSO2 New Genesis has gotten any better. When it first released I had a meltdown over it ruining PSO2.

It still basically is a whole lot of nothing currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's also basically zero sense of exploration and when you're done with the story there's no real reason to be anywhere besides the expansion hub. All the zones being sectioned off by load screens also just makes it even less interesting.

I remember all the times I was bored in WoW and just traveled all around the world while chatting with friends and it's not something that's really worth doing at all in XIV.

I like XIV but it really lacks basically everything interesting about MMOs as a genre tbh. I like raiding and I like the story but that's all it really has going for it.