Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kaysette posted:

The vertically combined with the need to grind achievements to actually progress and get more mobility made those zones really rough the first time.

otoh the first two zones of heart of thorns are to this day the best mmo zones out there imo. the problem is less the zones and more the grind to make them work.

i only bought heart of thorns on the tail end when the grind wasn't nearly as bad (or so i've heard) and they were super fun to go through, and the sense of dread and danger as i fought my way through verdant brink, despite being surrounded by other players and npcs, was really there

i know exactly where everything is in that map now so that's gone, but the maps and events still work really well and i was really sad when pof didn't have any big map-spanning events like that. the only maps gw2 has that come anywhere close to verdant brink and auric basin are dragonfall and drizzlewood imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So, crowfall was bought by a mobile game company https://www.mmorpg.com/news/crowfal...-mmo-2000123903

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Judging by the accompanying blog post there weren't many other options.

quote:

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that Crowfall isn’t shutting down. The bad news is this will be my last Founder’s Update for Crowfall.

An interesting read.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I honestly felt like Crowfall was one of the better MMO launches in recent years. The game had a narrow scope but it actually executed it pretty well. The game worked how it was supposed to work, barring lag in enormous fights. I think it got a way worse reputation than it deserved but MMO fans love to find a reason to poo poo on a game and watch it die for some reason.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Open world games in general have gone to poo poo, not just MMOs.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

THE BAR posted:

It felt like they had a change in Cataclysm, the third expansion, when they revamped the level 1-60 areas. They began funnelling you through your levelling by way of forced semi cutscenes, with you riding different modes of transportation between quest clusters. Before that, it was much more freeform, with random quests to be found just off the beaten path.

i mean yeah, everything about their approach to the game changed with cata. i actually really liked the actual cata zones like egypt land but the rework of EK/kalimdor was very bad and their design philosophy for zones has ever since been "make them like EK/kalimdor cata zones"

somewhere in an alternate universe is a WoW that retained the classic/BC/wrath zone design sensibilities and it's probably a game that turned fewer people off over time

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Did Everquest make any drastic changes to its quest/exploration gameplay loop? Cause that's still going.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, right now WoW is in a place where it's trying to ape FF14 but is still chained to WoW, and the end product is something that pleases very few people. I know people who like WoW's encounter and class design more than FF14's, don't like either's story, and still play FF14 because there's less annoying daily tasks to do to keep up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Did Everquest make any drastic changes to its quest/exploration gameplay loop? Cause that's still going.

I tried live a few years back and quit pretty much immediately because they created a newbie area everyone starts in now (I was looking for the actual EQ experience but didn't find out about P99 until later). Kinda had to since the playerbase is top heavy so the racial cities/newbie zones must be empty. Other than that I think it still works the same way. Someone with more experience in latter day EQ can correct me but usually EQ added stuff on top of what was already existing they didn't constantly redo or scrap systems like WoW seems to have.

They did remake a few zones that I remember but that amounted to changing mobs around so they were higher or lower level versions.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Open world games in general have gone to poo poo, not just MMOs.

They will be saved in two months.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 18, 2021

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

when i played eq there was an advanced ability system that continued to level after max level and i think that's where they tacked on new abilities.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the alternate advancement system in eq where you level that up instead of regular levels is kind of poo poo because you aren't caught up once you hit the level cap, you can group with your friends but they're carrying you until you have like 40,000 aa points (less for some classes)

the power gap between a freshly level capped character and one with max aa in the same gear is just obscene, i was playing a max aa shadowknight tank and i no longer needed to group with healers for most group content (some fights resisted my life drains or did significant splash damage to the group, otherwise it'd be fine) while my low aa sk friends would get butchered by one of last expansions trash mobs with 1 or 2 healers focusing solely on keeping them alive

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

blatman posted:

the alternate advancement system in eq where you level that up instead of regular levels is kind of poo poo because you aren't caught up once you hit the level cap, you can group with your friends but they're carrying you until you have like 40,000 aa points (less for some classes)

the power gap between a freshly level capped character and one with max aa in the same gear is just obscene, i was playing a max aa shadowknight tank and i no longer needed to group with healers for most group content (some fights resisted my life drains or did significant splash damage to the group, otherwise it'd be fine) while my low aa sk friends would get butchered by one of last expansions trash mobs with 1 or 2 healers focusing solely on keeping them alive

at the same time, AAs are kind of nice in moderation where there's only 200-300 AAs to have, total.

like in Luclin or PoP era, there's some significant new toys (Dire Charm, Mass Group Buff, Divine Rez, etc) but they mostly let people have an easier time with raids while not widening the gap so much that people can't do solo/group content without them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Groovelord Neato posted:

They will be saved in two months.

What happens then?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cmdrk posted:

at the same time, AAs are kind of nice in moderation where there's only 200-300 AAs to have, total.

like in Luclin or PoP era, there's some significant new toys (Dire Charm, Mass Group Buff, Divine Rez, etc) but they mostly let people have an easier time with raids while not widening the gap so much that people can't do solo/group content without them.

yeah you're right, it's spiraled horribly out of control after like 30 expansions but it was originally a great idea

i'm not even sure if there's a good way to fix it at this point, you get a bunch automatically when you level up if you're a subscriber now but it's still a horrible hellgrind

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jackard posted:

What happens then?

I'd figure in a video game thread people would know the only good game coming out in the next two months smdh Elden Ring

cmdrk posted:

Yeah AA was a good idea for something to do and it fixed the worst class in the game without having to redo all sorts of poo poo. I know having full AAs made you much stronger than a brand new max level character but I was comparing EQ to WoW where they seemed to have remade systems several times.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 19, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

PoP-era AAs were amazing. I ground out the available levels of defensive AAs (I think 3?) on my warrior in the same zone at the same level without any new gear over the course of a couple weeks and it was an amazing feeling of progression from “I hope we have a good cleric…” to “it’s fine we have a Beastlord for heals.”

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how is OSRS so popular? i fired it up because hey, mobile client but man, its rough

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

queeb posted:

how is OSRS so popular? i fired it up because hey, mobile client but man, its rough

For me it's mostly nostalgia but it's also real popular with people who were babies or not even born when it came out so I dunno, it has some sort of wider appeal I guess just the simplistic nature of the grind in it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

theres lots of things in osrs you can just turn off your brain and do while watching something on another display or listening to tunes or something. what little I've played of it personally was never with my full undivided attention.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, it also has a big community of Youtubers who do dumb challenge runs who are fun to watch which helps.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, it also has a big community of Youtubers who do dumb challenge runs who are fun to watch which helps.

Watching the Swampletics finale last week was a treat. What a journey.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

queeb posted:

It's me! The person who played OSRS the first time ever this year! I ended up dropping it, but it was fun for the 40+ hours I played. It's basically an open-world quest based RPG where it's fun to see your stats go up and you can interact with other people. The questlines are engaging and the world doesn't take itself seriously enough to the point where it's charming. I can imagine in a Final Fantasy-less world it being my MMO of choice. Though how often I'd play would be another thing entirely. What kills the game is how you will be doing an interesting quest just for it to progression block you because "Oops we let you do this questline 3/4ths way through but turns out you need at least level 40 agility. Nevermind that we allowed you to do the previous quest with level 5 agility."

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 19, 2021

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
I really liked the AA setup in EQ2, thats been my favorite in any game so far I believe.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

duddits posted:

I really liked the AA setup in EQ2, thats been my favorite in any game so far I believe.

Once they start letting you save profiles and switch freely around that is. Before that the aas were rough to use.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Early on for EQ2, AAs were so god drat funny.

Each line had its own weapon tied to it.

It was fun running around as a cleric with a staff acting like an anti undead mage.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone been playing arena of kings? its literally 2d WoW arena and I'm enjoying it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wasn't that how battlerite was?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

And Bloodline Champions. Arena of Kings was made be old devs, I think.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

queeb posted:

I picked it up for the first time last year and have really enjoyed it. I regularly play other old school MMOs though so maybe I just love suffering.

I think the quests are almost all really well done and I love the range of skilling methods available for most skills. You can work on a skill with a very low intensity method and play on your phone while watching TV, or you can go hard an maximize your gains. The late game pve content is very skill based and quite a bit of fun if you can get into it.

I'd suggest using runelite and enabling 117's Runelite HD plugin. Crank all the graphics settings in the plugin to max and you'll probably find the game much easier to play. Use the phone client for low intensity grinding only instead.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oh wow, Arena of Kings has some wonky controls going on. Space for basic attacks? Why can't I bind it to my mouse?

E:

Also, 10 classes, but only 3 of them being melee seems a bit odd.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 20, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Battlerite had way better controls than Arena of Kings not sure why they didn't just copy that.

I do love that the game looks straight out of the 90s.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess the main draw for me is its like playing WoW arena without the gear grind of WoW, or hell, even having to play WoW

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also really interesting video about Roblox and how scummy they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

eonwe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 20, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

eonwe posted:

I guess the main draw for me is its like playing WoW arena without the gear grind of WoW, or hell, even having to play WoW

Yeah, that's what I want as well, but my one hand isn't dextrous enough to take care of literally everything. Really wish I could bind some stuff to the mouse buttons.

E:

I'd also like it to steal a bit more from the WC3 WoW Arena maps, like having raids between arenas. You know, more stuff to do. Also, it feels off that every single piece of gear I've find (except for the freebie in the tutorial) have been downgrades to the stuff you start with.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

eonwe posted:

Also really interesting video about Roblox and how scummy they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

Never even heard of this game before, interesting video. Crazy poo poo.

*isn't this store portion they're talking about a straight rip off of what Steam does? (also shady AF since forever)

Draynar fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 20, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Arena of Kings looks pretty cool

I actually kinda have a problem with EQ2's AA system as someone who only played til 24 at launch and recently checked the game out a couple months ago; there's so goddamned many AA's it's overwhelming. The autospend feature is nice, though.

I know I've brought this up before but I also find the "10 hot bars full of abilities and items" thing I've seen in end-game videos also intimidating and unappealing.

The world seems cool, I'll say

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
PWE and Cryptic have been bought out by Gearbox’s Embracer Group.

Cryptic Studios, which develops Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, and Champions Online is now subsidiary of Gearbox.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Can’t wait to see what Randy Pitchford does with Star Trek lmao

Oh wait he quit or something

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Gearbox gets rid of all of the pay to win stuff on Neverwinter, and Star Trek, I would come back to those MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What does it mean that perfect world just sold all their American poo poo, was it just not doing well for them?