Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I want project 1999 but with better graphics and some modern UI

Sandbox mmos were great but too niche for most people, the golden age of mmos is gone and dead

Games like Destiny/Division could give a similar experience at least, if they'd stop sucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Did anybody here play pirates of the burning sea? It was really, really good. I'm sad that its dead and nobody plays on the ghost-town server anymore.

I would love for a modern pirates of the burning sea. Stop trying to make huge 3d space games like star citizen and elite dangerous and just make a big open sea age of sail game.

BexGu posted:

I think Dragons Dogma Online would be a very good MMO is it every comes out in the west. A action RPG where I can freely changed classes with a single character and run around with bros taking down giant monsters by climbing them/fly around them/drop tornadoes on them? Yes please!

It looks really cool, yeah.

My dream MMO is dark souls online. Something that punishes you on the level of everquest and makes you actually run around to get places, learn shortcuts, etc. But also with visceral weighty combat instead of EQ/WoW style auto-attacks with spells on top.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I played sea of thieves and the game is loving awful while at the same time it did a few things really well. The actual quests were the most boring poo poo of all time but stalking other players and waiting for them to lay anchor to pull up beside their boat and sink it was loving magical and it reminded me of the same kinda feel as your first MMO.

There is still potential for a good MMO but literally everyone involved in the scene is too loving stupid to do anything other than dogshit EQ/WoW clones

Yeah I played sea of thieves for a month, the ship gameplay was good but holy poo poo the game's just not done, its in shambles. There's less content in sea of thieves than there was in the original release of No Man's Sky.

Sea of Thieves ships but with actual good gameplay would be so nice, but Rare just couldn't do it.

There's that one fantasy mmo where you're supposed to be able to get ships and be pirates... but it looks super mega janky. Lots of those DayZ/Rust/Conan/etc. "survival" mmos out there which also have barely no content and try to pretend that player interaction alone makes a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Elder Scrolls Online has some of this, though not all. Its character building is pretty wide-open and combat is kept pretty grounded and doesn't have autoattacking (in fact, learning how to time animation canceling your light/heavy attacks into special abilities is really important for maximizing your damage). You have to pick a class when you start, but your class is really only the nucleus of your character. It provides three skill lines, but there are also weapon-specific skill lines, guild skill lines (Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc.), armor skill lines, etc., and anyone can use those, so any class can be a physical DPS, magic DPS, healer, or tank.

One downside is that the balance isn't super great at the very high end of PvE, so you find a lot of samey builds recommended for players who do super hardcore raiding and stuff. Turns out when the most efficient DPS skills are skills anyone can use, everyone uses them. Casual PvE and PvP allows for a ton of potential builds, though, especially PvP.

It has Everquest-style public dungeons, lots of world bosses, and some nice big zones that reward running (or riding) around and exploring. They hide lore books all over the place, which you need to find to rank up in the Mage's Guild, and "skyshards" that are sort of like heart pieces but for bonus skill points--every three skyshards you find gives you a bonus skill point. It is pretty story-heavy, but IMO that's a strength--it has some pretty good story quests that often send you into public dungeons and have fun characters and stuff.

The combat isn't visceral and weighty, though, and it does have fast travel, though it's of the "you gotta go there first to unlock it" style.

I played the original closed beta for ESO and I hated it :shrug: It kept making me think of Fallout or Skyrim but I couldn't actually do the kinds of wild free roaming things you do in Fallout or Skyrim because really its just EQ/WoW with a TES skin. IDK, wasn't my thing I guess. Had some nice things though, generally nice graphically.

John Cleese was cool though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i never understood why they made an elder scrolls mmo that doesn't play at all like one of the games.

Yeah that's the real problem...

Its not an elder scrolls MMO. Its a Tamriel MMO. Which is weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TalonDemonKing posted:

Age of wushu meets city of heroes

Age of Wushu is really cool. More videogames need to play around with bonkers movement, it just feels good and is fun. I hate that WoW has walked back flying as this thing they only give you once you beat the game, like they're embarrassed about it.

DC Universe Online is not a great MMO but by the simple fact that you can fly anywhere anytime its actually fun as gently caress. I love just cruising around metropolis, flying down, going "I AM HERE TO SAVE THE DAAAAAAY!" beating up some henchmen, and then ZOOP off I go into the sky again. FEELS GOOD.

MMOs have the best like, stuff around the game, but the actual GAME, the moment to moment gameplay in an MMORPG, kinda sucks balls. Its a really weird turn based thing that has really fast automatic turns based on the GCD rate in order to approximate real-time combat. It was created intentionally for the internet of the 90s to help mitigate horrible latency.

Planetside 2 exists, and its an MMO with FPS combat. Its not perfect, but it works.

That's why I want something like a dark souls mmo now. We have the technology to build something on the scale of Everquest or World of Warcraft, but where the moment to moment combat is actually exhilarating instead of boring as gently caress like in everquest.

My only fear is that such a game would be so good that I would quit my job and end up bankrupt and homeless. I'm not even joking, if you properly mixed the best elements of Dark Souls and Everquest it'd be like crack cocaine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

No. There wont.

Because there never actually were any good MMOs to start with, World of Warcraft is by far the most accessible, but it's just a giant theme park and all the sandbox MMOs are incomprehensible lunatic factories.

So no, there aren't.

It is possible, if you run a small private server with friends only, you could make a good "MMO", it just isn't really massive anymore.

Yeah but if you're a lunatic who is into the incomprehensible, then EQ (and DAOC and WoW about up to BC and maybe EVE online) actually was an amazing game, a perfect MMO, and we'll never get back there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

I don't understand criticism of "theme park" MMOs or MMOs being "just a theme park".

Theme parks loving own.

Theme parks can be very fun. I like WoW as it is now. Its good. It doesn't waste too much of your time. Its got lots to do. Its pretty, and fun, and it isn't confusing.

"theme park" shouldn't be inherently bad, but nerds are nerds. But "theme park" IS fundamentally different in design from the "sandbox", and we don't really have sandbox MMOs anymore other than EVE, so its pretty easy to end up resentful and :argh: at the "theme park" mmos as being lovely (not because they're actually BAD per se but because they killed the thing that you personally loved)

Typical human psychology

Bloodly posted:

Everyone thinks they want ultra realistic hardcore 'like real life' things where your survival isn't protected and you can rise to dizzy heights or fall just as far. Where things take forever to do and so this 'means something'. They think they want it hard for the sake of challenge.

There's a presumption that you'll be either on top, or watching and glorying in someone else's achievements from afar because hey, they did the work. Like they're actual celebrities.

They think they want 'another life'. I doubt this.

Ark/Rust/DayZ/etc. definitely suck balls, so yeah, its not that simple.

That said, the fact that I still play project1999 and tons of people love EVE does mean something, and its more than just pure nostalgia.

Modern WoW may as well be a single player or co-op game for how social it is. MMORPGs in the "theme park" mentality end up not being MMO at all, but just rather RPGs. In order to truly embrace the "MMO" you kinda have to be a sandbox.

I would argue that if you put them on a contiuum, the perfect MMOs would be like Everquest which as much as it is "sandbox" compared to WoW, is honestly kinda "theme park" compared to say, DayZ.

Its like

Pure Sandbox - DayZ/Rust/Conan/ARK
Perfect Hybrid - Everquest/Eve
Pure Theme Park - WoW/ESO/GW2

E: I tried to draw a number line but SA just removes the extra spaces so the formatting was all wrong :(

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 25, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

Shadowbane was a good sandbox PvP MMO at its prime (super buggy but the concept was great). Except when designed specifically to be truly player driven the MMO automatically has a few month end state, which I'm not sure can be solved. Yes the whole game world is player built and player controlled, except eventually 80% of the guilds on my server decided to form an alliance against the many objections of sane people saying that will ruin the server. They promptly defeated the small alliance that was fighting them, and those people moved on and either quit or moved servers. Fighting 10 on 1 every time wasn't fun. Then this 80% of the server alliance (now 100% of the server) sat on the now boring server with 0 conflict for several months somehow, after which everyone of course quit out of boredom and the server shut down. GG.

This is basically exactly why true sandbox PvP MMOs can't exist. No sane developer is gonna spend millions on a game that will last several months at best before the end state is reached. They need to theme park PvE content, or gate PvP behind pre-set alliances without a win condition (fight over some keeps here without affecting any starting cities or any of the game world). Meh.

What? No. Just because people can form mega-alliances doesn't mean a sandbox "cannot work", that's way way way too reductive. That's just a design challenge. There's lots of ways to discourage mega-alliances through gameplay mechanics.

Or you can just find ways to make it not matter, like EVE. There's huge alliances... so you just go somewhere else. Either you attack them at times and you're too small for them to really care because they've got bigger fish to fry, or you fight other small corps in some far off corner while the big mega-alliances smash each other for the large swaths of territory.

The whole "no sane developer is going to spend millions on content that players will blast through in a few months" is if anything more of a criticism of theme park mmos, so this really makes zero sense. Every theme park mmo the devs hope the game will last for long enough to make the next content and they're always wrong because people poop-sock it in weeks, not even months. So they have to end up intentionally gating off content and delaying release of things, which in a way works and prevents the game from becoming completely stagnant for months, but also means people are constantly hitting caps every week where they've done all there is to do.

Like, sorry but that just doesn't really follow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Good MMORPGs come out all the time. The real question is if MMORPG developers will find a way to get around the "I play the MMO that my friends play" problem that strangles them all.

Also I want a sci-fi MMORPG that doesn't crash and burn like Wildstar / Tabula Rasa.

I think simply getting away from monthly fees really helps beat that "well I'm just gonna play the 1 MMO my friends do"

There's still the leveling and time investment, but having a sub really locks you in for good and makes you feel like you need to play that game to get your money's worth.

And games like Destiny and The Division, as much as they're highly flawed, really demonstrate that you can do an MMO-esque experience without full MMO stuff, which allows you to easier avoid a monthly fee.
Alternatively there's games like Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 which are basically straight up MMOs and also don't have monthly subs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I want more MMOs to do something that GW2 and ESO do: never raising the level cap. Both games manage to keep a sense of progression and encourage players to play new content without raising the level cap by shifting character progression in another direction.

Same. My favorite part of MMOs is the "end game" and while leveling can be fun, its often just work that prevents you from playing the thing you want. There should be a leveling process to learn how to play your class effectively but then once you're max just add more quests that give cosmetics or unlock abilities or give loot while letting people do pvp or raid or whatever without having to stop and level again before they re-unlock the same game modes they were playing a few months ago.

Harrow posted:

I will say that there's something to be said for the way an increasing level cap hits the reset button with each expansion. While it does mean that people stop running old content for any reason other than getting armor skins in something like WoW, it also means that you don't have to run that old content to stay relevant, and there's no chance that, say, a set from three expansions ago is still the best possible set for your spec and things stagnate. To be fair, it's not like everyone starts on a level playing field with each new expansion--after all, if you have a mountain of gold, you can give yourself a pretty big leg up by buying crafted/bind-on-equip gear once you're max level--but at least everyone hits the starting line at the same time.

I made this suggestion in the wow thread and some people hated it lol, but I was suggesting that MMO Expansions could be more parallel than sequential.

Imagine if each expansion had its own stat like, expansion 1 all the gear has fire resistance. Expansion 2 all the gear has ice resistance. You can wear your ilevel 200 gear in the ice expansion but if it has fire resist it won't be quite as good. It still gives you a little bit of a leg up over people going into the ice expansion with ilevel 180 gear, but before long you both replace your gear with ilevel 180 ice gear that has ice resistance.

That way after you got all the expansion 2 ice stuff done, you could go back to expansion 1, and you wouldn't simply "outlevel" all the content. You could pick up right where you stopped, doing more of those quests.

There's other ways you could accomplish the same without resistance, also getting rid of levels makes it easier to make expansions parallel and let people continue to play content they've paid for before without making it trivial and obsolete.

(Course, some people apparently like being able to god-mode through old content, but I think that gets old real fast)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 1, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

It is unjust that Capcom won't bring Dragon's Dogma Online to the west because holy poo poo look at this class

just loving look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7rRNIOHYI&t=193s

oh and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxqtAVRUmE&t=42s

Its not far from the "dark souls mmo" that is my dream, and god I would kill for dragon's dogma online. BRING IT HERE CAPCOM DO IT.

Also there's that Monster Hunter Online game in China, MH:World is so good and if you could build a full MMO out of that Its another game that I'd play for a billion hours.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

It is unjust that Capcom won't bring Dragon's Dogma Online to the west because holy poo poo look at this class

just loving look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7rRNIOHYI&t=193s

oh and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxqtAVRUmE&t=42s

This is another thing... give me more mobility. Flying feels great. Running on walls feels great. Double jumping feels great. Dashing feels great.

They added demon hunter to wow and I find every other class to be extremely boring now by comparison. If you're not making a clunky dark souls fighter then gently caress reality and physics lets do crazy cool anime poo poo.

Gimme a devil may cry mmo :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

redgubbinz posted:

Play Warframe.

I don't like 3rd person shooting so much. I guess I should try it more and try to find a class built around melee.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Philonius posted:

I want a spacegame with all the sandbox elements of EVE online, but where the gameplay is actually fun. Shooting other ships in EVE is a question of locking target and then pressing F1 to fire your weapons. The maneuvering and decisions are very tactical, and they're mostly made by whoever is leading the fleet.

If combat actually involved actively piloting your ship, airming weapons, trying to get broadsides in etc, it would be pretty amazing.

Elite dangerous

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't like how instanced MMOs are and a lack of a decent metagame.

Instancing was the beginning of the anti-mmo, which wow is now the king of.

I get why they did it, but you now spend 80% of the game in instances, may as well be co-op instead of mmo.

EQ was the best mmo because you met strangers and came to rely on them. You'd get a sense of the server and see some guy you grouped with 10 levels ago on the other side of the world, and that meant something.

In wow, people who aren't in your guild or friend's list may as well not exist. Even worse, they exist only as obstacles, stealing items or mobs you need for your quest.

Eq was designed to be oppressive so people had to band together to survive. Abilities were scattered between classes and you only had a fraction available to yourself without others help.

Wow you can do everything solo except raids and dungeons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Dungeon Fighter Online is a good mmo and remains a good mmo

I also don't really consider DFO a mmo but it is a bitchin fun co-op beat em up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

PvE elements need to he more challenging and prevalent rather than trash you have to snooze through.

I agree, EQ's combat is pretty dogshit and easily the weakest part of the package. But there's a way you could do something more like the world bosses in modern WoW, or the FATEs of FFXIV or the events of GW2, while still having that open sandbox non-instanced virtual world feel that old MMOs had and modern ones don't.

I mean, the answer is basically FATEs. FFXIV and GW2 got that poo poo working pretty drat well. You do some solo quests, you meet up with randoms, you punk a huge boss, you go off and do your own stuff for awhile again. Works pretty great.

You do still tend to solo FFXIV otherwise though, like WoW. Something between FFXIV and EQ would be perfect I think. But the devil's in the details.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

As for EverQuest, really, I just don't think that kind of MMO is going to take off again. Most of the players who loved EverQuest back then just don't have the time or patience for the pace that a game like EverQuest requires. People generally want to log in and get right to actively doing something these days, for better or for worse. I don't think that's necessarily an inherently bad thing, either.

The popularity of ARK, DayZ, Conan, Fallout 76, etc. shows that's not necessarily the whole story. Some people sure do love sitting around doing gently caress-all for hours. You just gotta frame it in a way that captures their interest.

Also you don't have to be a 10M subscriber game to be a 'success', EQ had tiny populations at its peak compared to WoW but they were still good enough numbers to keep the game going back then. I think you can target a niche and make a really successful game if you did it right.

A part of MMOs though is that since most of them have subscriptions, the industry is inherently very crowded. Most people don't want to pay for subs at all, and some won't ever subscribe. Of those who do, the vast majority will never subscribe to multiple MMOs at the same time. That means in order for someone to buy your MMO, you not only have to appeal to them, you have to convince them to drop all the hours of progress they've invested in another MMO to even give yours a chance. That's really anti-competitive. WoW is like a drug that gets you hooked and then you can't easily get off.

Which is why I think games like Destiny and Division and GW2 getting off subscriptions is part of the necessary future of MMOs. There was a whole fleet of MMOs like D&D Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Star Wars The Old Republic, etc. etc. that came out as subscription games, bombed pretty hard, and then turned around and went free2play and actually saw modest success and profit.

That said, free2play games can have a really icky exploitative feel to them (give us your money!) which turns some people way off. So more need to embrace the GW2/Destiny model of $60 boxed game, plus expansions. (Although even with Destiny I would argue they're charging more money than the expansions are worth. While also double-dipping and having micro-transactions they try to get you to buy)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah Elite is no perfect mmo but if you're looking for EVE but letting you pilot the ships yourself, that's loving it

RPG combat is pretty bad and yeah, mixing any other kind of combat in with the mmo virtual world and the rpg character progression makes it way better. EQ was basically turn based because they based it on D&D, games were simpler back then, and they had to be much more tolerant of high latency.

Planetside 2 has tons of flaws but it lets thousands of people play FPS together, that means any other kind of combat should be technically feasible too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Dark Souls, but MMO. I'm being serious too.

Nah, of course its serious. It'd be work but its a great idea. I said the same last page.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also I think 'levels' are a design crutch. Wanna see more MMOs without any levels. Other forms of progression are better and don't result in people with no life being unkillable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agoat posted:

I just want an MMO where I can work on getting rich without an auction house.

Star Wars Galaxies was the poo poo man

I mean it was buggy half-finished poo poo, but it had a golden environment for people who just wanted to play mmo economy all day

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Philonius posted:

I want the game to be subscription only because that way the developers don't have any incentive to make non-cash shop gameplay aggravating. If they sell exp potions and extra inventory space, you can bet going without those is annoying.

Being subscription doesn't prevent them from selling inventory space though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agoat posted:

It's funny cause I'll spend so much loving cash on costumes etc but not a dime on gameplay boosters

Same, although they also need to be reasonably priced.

If tf2 hats were like .50 cents I'd have bought every one and spent like $80. But they were like $15 each so fuuuuuuuck that, never bought a single one, only traded.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agoat posted:

A lot of them are in that price range. Aside from unusuals a lot of them are less than $3, with one's from the pre-rarity system being dirt cheap.

Now they are, 10 years later. Stuff was $10+ for most of its hayday. Game's ancient now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

I would pay good money for that poo poo.

question for you guys, if an mmo has no option to play as a human, would it fail?

That's way too broad a question.

In a fantasy mmo you mean?

Because you could definitely do like a dinosaur mmo if you wanted.

There's several car mmos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Dumplings posted:

eve but you can pilot the ships like in elite dangerous

So... elite? :psyduck:

Not sure what its critically missing that eve has. The goonswarm? (Check out diamond frogs)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

It would be devoid of creativity or fun. A raptor would he equivalent to a rogue and be described as the dps dealer. Press one to do the talon attack. The good Dino's vs the bad Dino's idea would be scrapped. A cosmetic scar on your Dino's eye will cost 980 dino bux which translates into 9.99 but half off if you buy it in 2 hours.

Concept and implementation are two different things buddy. If you think there's no way to play as dinos and have fun, I would argue that YOU are devoid of creativity :cheeky:

We need players to be able to be vanilla humans because... *checks notes* that's real creative??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

It's funny, I look back on Star Wars Galaxies more favorably than WoW in hindsight, even though I wasted literally a year+ time played in WoW and only a small fraction of that in SWG. I remember buying gold online somewhere and buying an in game droid companion thing that helped out in combat. I was in college at the time and was poor, but I remember seeing Jedi accounts going for like $1k+ and my cousin and I were really tempted. ( We probably would have got scammed, so glad we didn't. )

I don't think the traditional model of MMO gameplay really works anymore. Nothing ever stuck like WoW. Combat is a huge issue for me, pushing buttons on a cooldown just isn't really fun. I can't even imagine a scenario where I would play a single game/MMO for years like I did with WoW, but to come close would probably be a Monster Hunter or Earth Defense Force type game.

The other issue is content. Doing dungeons and raids over and over again just doesn't have the same appeal like back with early WoW. So any current game trying to do a game as service situation or MMO style content just doesn't seem like it will have a similar lasting appeal.

IDK, as long as there's new raids I still see the appeal. I raided in Pandaria and Draenor after not having raided for YEARS, and I still had a blast learning raid strats with my buddies.

But I agree the turn-based RPG structure of EQ/WoW is pretty ancient and needs to be replaced.

That said, the whole "nothing ever stuck like WoW" was because of WoW. If WoW didn't exist, something else would have taken all that market share. See: my previous posts about how subscriptions make MMOs inherently a monopoly economy.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Don't destroy the narrative. I really wanted to like Final Fantasy but the journey to get to the endgame was so boring and everyone just raves that the endgame is where its fun...I don't want to struggle to get to the gun.

They sell the ability to skip leveling and questing now, although its really expensive. Kinda dumb. Levels 1-30 of FFXIV are painfully slow if you have any idea what an MMO is, then levels 30-70 are kiiiinda fun but a general slog.

The endgame of FFXIV is way better, although as much as I prefer the graphics and story of FFXIV, WoW still appeals to me more.

That said, I got the new WoW expansion on a lark and I've already lost interest at level 114. BFA doesn't do anything new that WoW hasn't done before, which is real lazy on Blizzard's part. They kinda phoned it in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

eq was wow before wow. 500k subs doesn’t seem like much but at the time that was an insane amount of people.

No it definitely was. And Ultimate Online was the wow before eq. And then MUDs before that. There's a very clear lineage of MMOs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

We have been playing Dragons Dogma Online for weeks now and this loving game never ends. There is literally 200+ hours of poo poo here. Every time we think we are nearing the last zone and endgame poo poo it adds 4 more zones and a pile more poo poo to do. Somehow we are now in some kind of Lord of the Rings story arc that has four huge zones of poo poo spanning with a loving 4 man Beholder raid and a dragon with a goddam tank cannon on its back you have to break off.

They even managed to stop Sorcerers from being broken as gently caress with a new armor mechanic past level 70 making large monster a lot harder to deal with without some prissy gently caress nuking it with meteor spam. I can't begin to tell you how surprised I am about this goddam game and it's never leaving Japan.

Come into CTS 2.0 mumble if you want to give it a shot with us. There is guild housing that we haven't even unlocked the loving front door to for Guild missions and poo poo. Right now we are just sleeping out in the rain. This game is literally the real Dungeons and Dragons the game.

Its free to play. All you need is the client, the translation patch and a VPN to log in and then you can turn it off once you are in game. 95% of the game has zero lag.

gently caress I'm gonna have to try this.

Make a ddo thread?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Ill compress the client and set up a torrent so you don't have to download poo poo on a full japan vpn. Then Ill consider creating a thread.

Thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

I am writing up this thread but its gonna take a bit as I am creatively dead. You can talk to us in CTS 2.0 mumble and we can walk you though getting the game and playing it if you want something before the thread.

You can always post the thread in a reasonable starting state and then edit the OP post with more information later on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

The first everquest have servers running older versions of it and they start adding expansions after a set time. So like, for example, after 6 month they would add the burning crusade and start a new instence vanilla servers so eventually you would have multiple server running multiple version of the game.

Its called a 'progression server' and blizz would be unlikely to do that due to all the effort needed to actually walk a server through wow's patches.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hobocrunch posted:

Yeah I sure do want to play on a server with the effective deletion of my character coming up in 2 years, that seems like a good idea.

Works for diablo season/ladder

Although in d3 they do convert your char to a normal one, but some people like starting over every season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agoat posted:

More MMOs where they don't hold your hand please

Let me gently caress people up and take over poo poo

IMO if you aren't making a sandbox, mmos don't make sense, as I've been kinda saying lately in related topics.

For a theme park mmo just do the guild wars / destiny / division thing instead (but not poo poo)

Sandbox appeal seems more niche though, and that market is currently oversaturated with low effort, low content dayz clones like ARK and conan and Rust.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Dumplings posted:

? I don't know what other topics you post in, in what way do they not make sense? Particularly since PvP sandboxes seem kind of like the worst possible MMO configuration for retention; the inherent freedom available means players that aren't extremely focused on improving their performance and on competing with other players will quickly fall behind the rest, and so the server population tends to drop to the few players that enjoy PvP and are good enough at it to not be killed constantly. A non-PvP sandbox (or one where PvP losses didn't have a material impact on players) should retain much better (this and the flight mechanics are probably why Elite still has players given how little else it does have), but that doesn't seem to be done often.

Also can you elaborate on what would make theme park MMOs "not poo poo"?

Not threads, I mean I've been posting here about the same thing but coming at it from other angles.

In the ways that I just enumerated? If you want a theme park, generally speaking mmos as they were (EQ, WoW) aren't really even ideal. Zones have to be big and spread out and have lots of spawns so people can avoid stepping on each others' toes, but if the zones were just instanced then that wouldn't be an issue. Dungeons and raids are already instanced because having people step on your toes in a raid isn't really acceptable post EQ. Its just taking it one more step to go to something like guild wars, destiny, or the division, (or anthem, or...) where you have a central hub with mmo levels of players online that you can team up with, but when you actually go out of town to play the game, you really just see the 4-5 players in your party, plus NPCs and maybe other players for PVP if the game facilitates that.

The whole idea that you'll run around in the middle of nowhere and bump into some other player and that adds significant value to your experience doesn't really hold up in a theme park. Other people are obstacles. They take away enemies that you could kill to complete your quests faster, they're a nuisance. The only players you really care about are the ones in your party or your guild.

In a sandbox mmo though that's less the case and the focus is more on the experience you have with other players and facilitating engagement between different people.

As for the "not poo poo" thing, I think you just completely misinterpreted me there. I was saying do like guild wars or destiny instead of having the huge server infrastructure that a true mmo requires. I only said (not poo poo) in parenthesis because destiny and the division are poo poo. Destiny and The Division and Anthem are IMO how that sort of theme park game should be from now on, focusing on the party experience. But Destiny and Division both happen to just have tons of issues and be kinda lovely, but that doesn't mean that whole gameplay model is bad, it just means those particular implementations are bad. That's what I was saying. Be like Destiny instead of WoW, but don't be poo poo like Destiny.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Dumplings posted:

Yeah, this fits much better with how people seem to actually play MMOs, along with the optional public events kloa mentioned. I... kind of figured everything was instanced in MMOs now, WoW still doesn't do that :psyduck:?

Its strangely complicated. They've moved past having hard shards between servers, which is a GREAT enhancement, so if you are on server A and your friend is on server B, you can still party up, and you'll end up reconnecting to server B using your character from server A. When you log off your stats are still saved at server A. Its also possible that if the server is full or empty you could end up on server C or whatever.

But that said, no, the game generally tries to have a lot of people in a zone when possible. The overworld is still un-instanced, other than the separate dynamic server shards as described above. I guess you could say its instanced, but each instance fits hundreds of players still, they're not personal to you or your party. Which gives it that "mmo feel", but honestly... it means very little. Unless you're in an actual sandbox mmo where you can form an army and raid the enemy base or something like EVE.

Good Dumplings posted:

Honestly, players are generally a nuisance in sandboxes too; you only PvP in them (a) when you want to and (b) you have little chance of losing anything valuable, in any other case people usually figure out what strategies are available to make non-consentual PvP a non-issue. Which makes me wonder why there's so few games with no/non-costly PvP, it seems like that'd be perfect for keeping a large audience.

That's true, but in a sandbox other players are content. Sometimes they're a nuisance and sometimes they aren't, but like with a pvp focused multiplayer game, you're playing the game against other players. Where in a theme park, you're more playing out the story that has been prepared for you, and other players just kinda force you to wait in line to do the next theme park ride. There's definitely a downside to other players in a sandbox sometimes, especially if they grief, but they at least have the potential to be much more.

A theme park without other players is still a lot of content and can be very fun, its basically just an RPG at that point. But a sandbox without other players would be really tedious and pointless. The other players ARE the content.

Good Dumplings posted:

Ok, that's the part that gets at what I was thinking better: what makes Destiny poo poo?

They keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and over, making content obsolete too fast for there to be enough content to really enjoy, overreacting on balance, and a million other things. Vanilla destiny was an awful slow slog of a grind, then the expansions slowly made it more interesting and added better methods of itemization. Then the sequel totally reversed all that and made it lovely to grind gear again, and removed basically all differentiation between gear. Which they are now slowly adding back... in expansions that cost more money.

Destiny's FPS elements are EXCELLENT, top notch. But the RPG elements are just flat busted.

Its still a very fun game just to run around and shoot dudes because the FPS elements work so well, but the RPG progression is just... not good. Also the story is in complete shambles, each expansion seems to completely retcon the past expansion out of existence. The first game was about the darkness... which is now no longer a thing. There were huge story arcs in the first game's expansions... which are basically irrelevant now in D2. Its just... a mess.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 27, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sandbox MMO w/ PvP will only be good if there of an equal amount of care given to the PvE content and an interesting world. Most important of all is fun core mechanics that aren't smashing hot keys. Really, get away from the hot keys and people would be down for almost anything.

Yeah I agree, and that's what games like ARK and Rust are lacking. And maybe Fallout? We'll see on that one.

And yeah, the core gameplay of the push-buttons EQ/WoW/FFXI/FFXIV/etc. style is just not super great. There's all kinds of really cool things built around it that keep you hooked, but the core is pretty boring. Replace that with like, dark souls combat, or something else properly interesting, and the game would be fun like crack.

Which is why its such a shame that Destiny is so lame. Also The Crew, a car mmo should be amazing, but they made a lot of mistakes.

The push-buttons thing was designed for back when latency was a bigger problem and it helps make the game more tolerant, but we can do better now. Its not a non-issue but its a solve-able issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

This hasn't been true in WoW for a long time. When multiple people hit a mob they all get credit for it, and mobs respawn faster if they're being killed frequently so it's not possible to completely clean out an area. I'm always glad to see a bunch of other players are doing the same world quest as me since we all finish it more quickly and easily.

Even then, how often do you talk to a stranger in wow or interact with them in a significant way?

In EQ you used to actually form friendships as you were forced to work together. EVE is all about meeting people and forming corps and alliances and backstabbing each other.

Wow is more convenient which is nice but means other than seeing some randos doing the same world quest, maybe you use group finder real quick to punk an overworld rare spawn, then you go back to your business.

The whole idea of the mmo is that you'd stop and be like "well done heroes, thanks for helping me with that boss. What are you guys questing today?" But in reality nobody wants to talk to strangers and if you don't have to you won't.