Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anytime I see, "the game starts at level 50' or "the real game is the end game."

I'm not gonna touch it because if the end game is where it's at why do I have to slog through 100 hours of bottom barrel gameplay to get to it

I agree I don't understand this poo poo. I think it's to artificially inflate your impression of the game as an accomplishment or something, I don't know. Video games are all psychology and marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Like every Blizzard Plot ever, their past corrupts them and each iteration is a shell of its former self.

Maybe Jay Wilson was just warning everyone: they Used To Be Good But Now Are Bad.

Still a solid stock pick though, as particular and rabid as gamers are in the news and on social media they are very predictable consumers of video games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man, FFXI loving broke people's brains. I think there is (was?) a thread in FYAD about FFXI where they never paced back and forth out of boredom in a video game before. Yeah that sounds about right.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF14 is a good game, and it's about 3x the good game if you played final fantasy at all beforehand.

The vanilla content is a loving S L O G though. It's designed to show someone who's never played an MMO how to play a MMO and it does so in the most long-winded way possible. I recommend skipping ARR (the vanilla content) and just watching a summary or something becuase it takes a good 100 hours at least to get through.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally enjoyed spending an hour forming a group just to have 6 people auto-attack random enemies for 5 minutes per, and level up once every couple hours assuming you don't die and lose a level.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know about concrete numbers but there has been a shitload of new FFXIV players who played WoW and gave up on it. I hazard a guess that, honestly, the MMO market doesn't grow or contract it just shifts from one leader to another.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well everything you do in any game is just a permutation of available actions, which are pretty limited in MMOs. Despite the concept, or whatever, MMOs have severely limited gameplay so the content feels the same if you don't have a reason to enjoy the reskin of the permutation of actions, like nostalgia or the community or a story. Some games try to circumvent this with more/different gameplay or whatever, or trying to make the grind really appealing, but they're all doomed if they rely on that approach.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Relayer posted:

Original vanilla UO where you could be a dread lord and own a tent and break\glitch into people's houses and loot them and scam people out of millions of gold by claiming to own a house you just simply don't own, and demand half up front and they actually fall for it, will forever be the pinnacle of entertainment.

The half up-front half after transaction scam remains the eternal best scam foundation

The enterprising online video game scammer might recognize other big hits in their scam playbook like:

My Internet Is Messed Up, Hang On I Will Return Your Items After I Relog

That Wasn't Me, That Was My Brother Sometimes He Plays My Character

The Trade Window Is Glitching Out Just Sit Tight

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

every time I see this thread I just scream THERE NEVER WAS A GOOD MMO in my head, has anyone posted that yet

MMOs are often best reminisced about rather than played. Hearing Everquest stories are delightful until you actually watch a video of Everquest in action or, God forbid, play it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well there's no such thing as meaningful progress in an MMO. The only way to make things meaningful in an MMO context in such a way to make players gain efficacy in the game environment is essentially to lock it behind a grind. In that regard, playing a game with the kind of micro-grinding where you, for example, level up your sword skill alongside player level alongside our healing magic because I hit with a sword and cast healing magic is a thing. Also having variants of gear types within roles is cool in defining "your" character's progression.

As far as finding a game where people want to interact with you, there's a difference between the skinner box of dungeon finder-esque systems and the reward system of exploration based systems. Within a dungeon finder system you are basically penalized as a group for individual failures by reducing the efficiency of the task. If all 4 rats need to push the button at the same time to get the cheese, and one rat keeps loving up the timing, the other rats will get really loving pissed at that idiot rat because they don't get their cheese as fast as they could if that rat wasn't an idiot. That's my hot take as to why the playerbase gets so toxic in WoW, etc.

I'd recommend you play FFXI. Play with trusts and play with people if you'd like. I have yet to group with someone and not enjoy just shooting the poo poo while we accomplish the same goals. Since you have trusts you don't NEED to group with randos which probably means that playing with people is far more positive-- it's at-will and is almost certainly easier than just playing with trusts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ruggan posted:

Yeah, good 'ol terminal case of the brain worms I guess.

Sure. FFXI turns me off for a few reasons - that it's heavy theme-park style (afaik) and that the FF universe has never really appealed to me. If the latter weren't true I'd give it a serious chance even though my impression is "theme park MMO".

Going back to my post, there are a few games that do really appeal to me and I enjoy, but they all have their own deal-breakers:
  • Everquest, my problem being the molasses speed of progression and repetitive combat. I do really like this game and in a way the slow speed contributes to why it is good (small gains feel meaningful), but I don't really love grinding the same 100 square feet for days.
  • Asheron's Call, my problem being the heavy reliance of third-party programs. If I could feel like I could play without Decal and not be ultra-gimped, I would play the emu way more. But I end up slippery-sloping down from light tool usage into creating macro quest-completion routes and running 8 shadow-clients because that's what you do. Sure, the blame there rests on me.
  • Black Desert Online, my problem being the pay to win endgame. You aren't doing much past level 50 without sinking some money into buying pets to pick up loot. The ultra-grind eastern mentality is fun for a little bit, but it does become repetitive.
  • Eve, Rust, Ark, my problem being the time sink to be competitive. I'm not at a place in my life where I want to do the 4AM batphone poo poo anymore.

Guess I'm not entirely sure what I want.

I'll be real, I think you want FFXI. It's nowhere near as bad on the grind as EQ imho and with modern QoL improvements you'll move to new areas very quickly but more importantly you'll need to explore and figure out which zones are worth checking out or just read a guide. It's completely removed from every single other FF game, excpet for things like moogles, chocobos, job titles and some enemy types.

But at the end of the day, all MMOs are going to disappoint you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just find it finally when people talk about how hard classic wow was.

Yeah lol. It's really not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination, it's just a gigantic, gigantic time sink for any activity by design because they felt the best way to make money in MMOs was to dangle a carrot while wasting your time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

frajaq posted:

not gonna lie the time it takes to form groups for specific dungeons in Classic is starting to annoy me a lot

I think that some things should have been kept. At least a party finder system if the dungeon queue is something that's off limits.

How can transmog not have been worth keeping?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rift was good for a little bit but then it only ever got worse.

And I think nowadays there's like 1000 players total.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Third World Reagan posted:

trip report

having fun in kingdom under fire 2

tutorial is 10 levels

18 it starts to get good

25 it is amazing

no idea how bad max level is (30)

Now that looks like an intriguing game. What's the monetization like?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought Kingdom Under Fire 2 because why not.

It's really fun actually, and not in a brain trick way; the core gameplay is just fun. I don't know what endgame is like (and frankly don't really care) because I"m basically playing it like a singleplayer game anyways. I was a little skeezed out hearing its history but apparently real money only buys cosmetics and everything is purchaseable with in-game currency anyways, including costumes and junk.

I really, really like Total War games, I mostly like dynasty warriors games, and I enjoy MMO games so I'm digging it a lot. I'm also only lvl 15.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sucks telling people, and truly meaning it, that FFXIV is the best Final Fantasy ever made except for the first 60 hours of the game, lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate that shooters don't have sort-of dangerous mooks to fight alongside player enemies. Like, grunts and marines in Halo should just be shooting inaccurately all the time during invasion.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

knox posted:

Hmm I'm having the desire to play this on PS4. Should I wait until this previously mentioned patch to pick it up at all, and is the console version as good as PC?
Still always have desire to play an MMO anytime I pickup other video games.

It is the exact same, it's cross-platform and I personally exclusively play on PC with a controller and have never been hamstrung by it. It rules.

I'll tell you what I tell everyone, set aside 2-3 hours to watch ARR story/recap videos, maybe dick around on the wikipedia to understand the world lore or whatever, who some of the major players are (Minfilia, Alisaie/Alphinaud, Louisoix, Thancred, Yshtola), don't dig too deep and spoil things. Then go ahead and buy the skip for $20 or whatever. You just saved yourself, I think, 250 hours of bad video game. Heavensward, the first expansion, is great and I would never recommend skipping that.

If you really wanna experience ARR despite the warnings that the jobs don't come into their own until at the VERY least 50 (and even then aren't that fun until 60+, imho) that's on you man. I'd wait for the streamline and then re-do it later (they let you re-do entire expansions once completed via New Game+, and they're re-jiggering ARR before allowing it to be re-done in the same fashion).

jokes fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 17, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I agree with you. It seems like they can never get both of those things working in tandem. The good gameplay turns into, well, Destiny 2, but even then the combat is pretty poo poo/samey. If FFXIV had more engaging combat, it'd be Best Video Game Ever instead of Best Video Game Right Now. That being said, I do like the hotbar-style MMO gameplay I just think video games have gotten to the point where we should expect more than a slightly better version of WotLK.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Groovelord Neato posted:

There was APB which was only a semi-MMO but holy poo poo was that fun to play. Unfortunately the developers spent a stupid amount for what they'd produced (100 million or something silly) so it failed and they had to sell it to some I think Chinese company that made it F2P.

The best aspect was mics were open when you were close to someone so when you'd disable a crook and run over to cuff them you'd hear them getting pissed off over their mic.

I've always wanted someone else to take a crack at that kind of game (I'd prefer an FPS though).

APB was horribly janky but the things you could do to gently caress with people was amazing, along with the character designer. The fact that cops could use LTL guns and if they did they could arrest criminals as an extra “gently caress you” was fantastic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe the appeal to video games as a medium are that there's games for everyone's predilections and if you have a way you like to play video games you can hopefully find one that fits your niche. A lot of people hope (and insist) that their MMO of choice is the only video game they ever need to play which is mind boggling, but it happens. So the makers of MMOs like to give you varied playstyles to accommodate differing tastes. WoW, for example, hooked a lot of people who didn't even play video games and they would play only that game. Ever. And they'd play it compulsively. MMOs, in some ways, are like dancing with the devil. But there's no dancing and the devil isn't usually very fun.

The Only Good MMO, FFXIV, has a lot of great content that is immersive and engaging but also has some content that you can get really, really, really, really high and gently caress around with in a brain-dead zombie grind manner. I appreciate both sides, and never engage with the latter and pity all who hosed with relics/Eureka.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 28, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you don't like reading stories, don't play FF14. The fetch quests are basically all gone by HW.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is why ARR is such an albatross around FF14's neck.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

please knock Mom! posted:

guild wars 1 had better gameplay than 2

True but it feels janky as gently caress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I saw a lot of videos of people getting robbed while doing Pokemon Go poo poo in their city after dark, and I gotta say I loved each one more than the last.

Some fat greasy nerd walking around livestreaming himself playing pokemon go with an ash ketchum hat getting punched out. Loved it.

A lot of robberies happen in the real world while you have your phone out and are using it because it bypasses passwords/biometric poo poo, in fact a lot of robbers look for people taking video or typing on their phone since they're not looking around them. Basically it's like asking muggers to rob them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

eonwe posted:

this mmo sounds like the product of like 10 different product managers all making the developers do different things and then they jammed it into a single game

That's amazon product development. They're really notorious for just trying whatever and everything with next to no filter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

yeah like i said: well designed f2p/mt system :v:

first of all, for people who only play once every few years, you keep the subscription option. don't want that "uhh, i haven't played for 3 years, i have to pay *how much* to access everything?!" reaction from people. there's a downside to having subs, but this is one pretty good advantage, and for a story driven game like ff14 especially, this is going to be a decent chunk of the population.

for the rest, just charge cash for new content. not for cosmetics or gear directly, just content that drops said gear. market packs as expansions or dlc or whatever. this is basically already happening, but instead of having a $10 charge per month, you have a $5-20 charge per content pack depending on size/age. you can bet your rear end people are gonna shell $15 for gear in new raids, or $10 to unlock eureka.

this way, you can keep all the players who would play, but play on-and-off so they don't feel like a sub is justified, which is a pretty big issue for sub games. having the game just installed and ready to go at any time brings a lot of people back from a hiatus, while having to get your CC out is a barrier big enough for a lot of people, which is why sub MMOs constantly try to get you back with the "please come back for a week for free" when you unsub. ff14 has this happening every 3 months for a month like clockwork lately.

there was an article/study on this a few years back which i now can't find that explored subscription services like mmos and netflixes and how much effort goes into trying to get people to resub once they're off with free trials and poo poo because getting someone whose sub lapsed back is apparently one of the hardest things ever.

you might have lost a few bucks here and there on people who have been subbed for 10 years continuously this way, but you more than make up for it by keeping players in the game who would have restarted the game on a whim if it was f2p, but didn't want to interact with the fuckin mog station.

and as a plus, you don't need to pay for content you don't want/like, but still keep playing old content you "own". i entirely unsubbed for like 6 months on the tail end of SB because gently caress eureka. i wanted to still play, but outside of relic grind there really wasn't nearly enough poo poo to justify a sub for me.

I think FFXIV knows its playerbase enough that shifting everything to a non-sub, even if it's better for the ol' pocketbook, will be met with pure hatred.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's nice to see that the same tired argument over subscription value continues even in 2020. It's comforting.

$12/mo is roughly $0.40/day whether you play or not. Buying 1-2 meals at a taco bell, depending on how fat you are, costs more than the sub.

Don't think about the sub in trying to squeeze value out of it, or something, that will ruin the game for you. Buy the sub and instantly unsub. Then consciously go and buy it the next time you want to play once the sub lapses.

They don't really want you to stay subbed anyways apparently. It's more like a theme park ticket, where you go back in to see the new poo poo or just do the things you like or whatever. Or don't.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, playing video games is inherently gonna cost money (especially MMOs) and $12 isn't much as far as video game purchases go. If you play any video game trying to squeeze value out of the purchase it's gonna ruin the purchase it's like a sunk cost fallacy. Enjoy it or don't.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaysette posted:

here's my 2020 take: wow is cartoons

It's not cartoons, dad! It's a stylized art style that allowed the game to look good without being too demanding to run well on a wide range of hardware! SHUT UP DAD! IT'S NOT CARTOONS!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Third World Reagan posted:

playing return of reckoning, the freeshard warhammer online mmo

it is bad

Interesting but false opinion it is in fact a good MMO

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Good MMO is whatever MMO I’m playing right now or is one that fits the following criteria:

1) isn’t WoW
2) isn’t dead

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Frankly there should have just been T1 and T2. The good parts are at the beginning and at the end of the game. Having you graduate from naked to semi-capable and semi-geared to end-game would have been fine. Easier to balance too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

All I want from Dark Souls is a proper co-op mode, where instead of summoning people in for a short time, you all get to share a single game file and exist as actual players in one game instance. It would trivialise absolutely everything to have four people running around the world unlocking everything at once and massacring bosses in seconds, but that's exactly why I want it.

What, and lose the immersion of finding a good method of farming humanity/embers on the internet? Or telling your friends you ran out of fun coupons/humanity/embers/whatever on discord?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Straight up, PSO2 is the only strictly fun MMO I’ve played in a while. Is it good? Hard to say. FFXIV is good but less fun, more of a spectacle. WoW isn’t good nor fun. KMMOs are uh something else.

I guess the idea is that the only good MMO is actually a little bit of all of them? And getting too deeply invested into any one of them is going to disappoint you.

Like MMO PvP? WAR and GW2. Like traditional hotbar pve content (dungeons/raids/etc)? FFXIV/WoW. Like really cool and spectacular raid fights and good story? FFXIV, less so GW2. Like fun combat? BDO, PSO2. Like eternal grinders? PSO2, BDO, WoW. Like world exploration? GW2, classic wow. Like pretty princess dress up? Basically every single MMO.

The only MMO that gets close to having everything is FFXIV for me, but I like the hotbar gameplay and the controller support for getting really faded before seeing some anime crystal poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zaphod42 posted:

That's one thing I really enjoy about EQ compared to basically all other RPGs, when you get a +2 broadsword that's a big deal and you can probably use that for like 20 levels.

An earring that gives +2 int is good until you're like level 40. And then due to no "soulbond", you can sell it back into the economy for basically what you paid for it.

That's so dramatically different from the Diablo loot system that you find in EVERY game now, where you're literally wading knee deep through a pile of loot everywhere you go.

That "ooh, this belt gives +20 STR" feeling may be good, but when you're replacing things every other minute nothing feels that significant.

So now WoW has to invent weird artifact weapons and special artifact equipment in order to give you actually meaningful progress and upgrades, which renders the rest of your loot basically completely insignificant. Just ilevel grind.

I always thought it’d be cool to have the system show histories of weapons. Like an “etching” system where you can read that “this broadsword was found in the guts of a bear by Boris the human warrior who used it to slay Nefarian, but who sold it to John the Enchanter for 8,000 Gil” or something. Or they could get real clever and have it auto-identify patterns where it says “usually wielded by fury warriors, it was used as a tanking weapon for a paladin by the name of Bob” as a special etching.

I mean poo poo, real world weapons had this poo poo. They’d have notches for slain enemies and poo poo. Team Fortress 2 tracks kills for weapons. Strange that high fantasy settings featuring role-playing doesn’t do that poo poo.

Alternatively I think that the Most Mathematically Important Item for characters (usually weapon) should always have a mechanic where it grows with the character so that your bad luck doesn’t gimp the gently caress out of you while you wait for a good drop.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

D-Pad posted:

Everything you guys are asking for, including weapon etching was in Asheron's Call. Best MMO ever for the first 3 years if existence. If I had a time machine I would go back to my high school days and just play it.

Couldn't do it, I was too busy hate-playing WoW.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hunter Noventa posted:

FFXIV does have an in-game musical performance system with multiple instruments available, so yeah, you can play music in game with some practice.

People multibox to put on concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, it looks cool and fun but don't all KMMOs at first glance? The way it fucks you up is the region issues, for sure at this point it's a huge brick wall, and the end-game/monetization.