Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

junan_paalla posted:

Age of Wushu was pretty great, or at least had a bunch of great ideas that other devs should turn into a good game.

I played Age of Wushu for a few months, and it cursed me, because from that point onward my dream MMORPG became "a MMORPG that is inspired by the ideas of Age of Wushu, but is actually a good game" and I am fully aware that I will never get a game that is even close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Dune survival MMO just got announced.

We sure it will not be a Rust clone? Because I do not believe we will get nice things. Or bad things that are bad in a way we like.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

DaitoX posted:

A reskin of Conan Exiles does seem more likely.

I was just beginning to say that it's not that bad and that I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit at the release and then I realized I mistook Conan Exiles with Age of Conan. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last King posted:

looks like they are ripping this straight from the most recent movie.

That's not a bad thing tbh. Aesthetics was one of the things the move absolutely nailed, so just straight up copying them means there is one less things they can gently caress-up in the game.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ride the Worm.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, I had plenty of great open-world PvP experiences, pretty much all over the time I spent playing MMORPGs. And I had a bunch of fun open-world PvP encounters even in games that ended up being actively hostile to it, like Black Desert and SW:TOR. I can respect not liking PvP, but the way how a lot of posters here consider it being some of the worst experiences you can have in MMORPG games is equal parts funny and incomprehensible to me.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 23, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

jokes posted:

Determining if open-world PVP is good or bad has to include the lovely parts, and being killed by people you have absolutely no chance of beating is an objectively bad paradigm.

Being killed by a player you can't really touch sucks and ideally the MMORPG should either have low enough power gap between low level and high level players to not make the encounter too overwhelming, or make the consequence for killing low level player severe enough that it doesn't really occur very often. Despite that, the tension from knowledge that you can be unpredictably thrust into an unwinnable encounter and the way how it affects your regular play is more of a positive than negative element from my point of view and being able to survive such unwinnable encounter by some combination of situational awareness, quick thinking, running away, stealth and luck was always a "gently caress yeah!" experience.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

Lost Ark's endgame content is the furthest thing away from casual friendly as possible. The only way to progress gear at any meaningful pace is to do the high end raids and there is no way around it.

In other MMO news, the private servers that resurrected the SMT:Imagine MMO after it ended are shutting down after one of them got sued by Atlus.

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1574234914412990467

To be entirely fair, Lost Ark's "high end" raids are extremely accessible and the only thing you really need a try-hard guild for is if you want to clear content as soon as it launches, or if you want to tackle the various challenge modes for bragging rights. I was a hermit with no guild and no stable group, relying exclusively on pubbies (which is hell in any game) and I was able to clear raids and progress at pretty steady pace, being consistently roughly 2-3 weeks behind the try-hards.

I quit, because the end-game was just relentless grind of dailies and weeklies with absolutely nothing else to do and I once again realized 6 months into a Theme Park MMORPG, that I really need a PvP element for the game to hold my interest. So if all you want is overwhelming PvE focus, Lost Ark is good choice. It looks and plays incredibly well.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ironbreaker and its not even close. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I just like seeing little angry bearded man punting big edgy dudes into lava.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone sticks with an MMO for any amount of time. It's fun to get into a new game but at some point I just see clearly what the rest of the game is going to be like and then I feel like I've done it all.

For me, the answer to that always was and always will be "PvP". :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I played Rift at launch and all I can remember is:

1) The titular Rift system was actually pretty fun when leveling and in general, the game was pretty good with herding players into huge cooperative quests and events.
2) I literally don't remember a single thing about story and lore, only that I was quite underwhelmed for the little while I payed attention to it.
3) The class system was pretty fun and I really liked that you had classes that actively went against their archetypes (Rogue Tank that relied on dodging, Mage Healer that healed by doing damage and did damage by healing)
4) The Mage Healer (Chloromancer iirc?) was easily the most fun and interesting healer I ever played in MMORPG and roughly 90% of my playtime in the game can be traced to how incredibly fun playing Choloromancer was in dungeons and raids.

Overall, Rift is probably in Top 3 of my MMORPG experiences, can recommend (playing it at launch, not now :v:).

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 5, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Can confirm, am one of those people

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
BDO has incredible character creation, great visual presentation and very cool and satisfying basic gameplay and, with this great core for MMORPG, it... proceeds to do absolutely nothing with it, outside of copying some of the most basic trappings of the genre and calling it a day.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Stop being so harsh on such poor, underfunded indie studio, they are doing the best they can, ok?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

No MMO is good or at least what the developers consider MMO is bad.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There will be a good MMO again, it will be on mobile and thus noone from this thread will ever play it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ah, so in other words, a worthy successor of Blizzard.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

Ok, My consulting buddy's keep saying "block chain!!!" but the only good use case ever found so far was airline parts tracking (lots of firms, from mining ore to decom off a plane a part is tracked all the way) I have never seen a use case thats not just a database.

So what the devil is "Block Chain" Technology? A database?

It's a magic word that, if you says it loudly and confidently enough, has a high chance of summoning a bunch of weirdos that will shower you with money as long as you make sure to repeat it often enough and include it in the description of your products.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They know exactly what they are doing. I can't imagine anything more humiliating then getting owned by a RPer.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If it is an actual proper MMORPG, I will be there on launch day, ready to get disappointed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Vermain posted:

i'd actually bet this is more that their internal alphas and playtests weren't lighting fires under anyone, so they'd rather go back to the drawing board instead of spending several more years trying to build off of a flawed design

it's certainly possible they're being moronic and convincing themselves that they can come up with some incredibly new never before seen iteration on the MMO genre, but i think it's likely this is more for investors as a way of softening the blow of having to throw out several years of work to start from scratch

Just copy everything from Age of Wushu and slap a LoL coat of paint over it. There, what was so hard about it, jeez.