Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never understood why they made an elder scrolls mmo that doesn't play at all like one of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harrow posted:

I dunno, it kinda does. It's not like Skyrim's combat isn't floaty and inconsequential too :v:

elder scrolls games are first person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

If you play Elder Scrolls in 3rd person, you are wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sudbina posted:

I hope Riot Games can make a good MMO. It'll just be a few years before we hear anything about it.

considering their version of dota is inferior i kinda doubt this'll turn out well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

aint that the truth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eq was wow before wow. 500k subs doesn’t seem like much but at the time that was an insane amount of people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it'd rule to play without diminishing returns.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eq was about a thousand times better than vanilla wow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

I got to the level cap and did some end-game content in vanilla wow, whereas I only got to like level 20 in eq, sooo :shrug:

yeah i only got to ~30ish in eq and it was still better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Imagine an MMO where the combat wasn't tied to a hotkey or lovely.

this has always been my dream. we're way past the point where you need cooldowns and autoattacks due to lag and poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

titan was a really dumb idea (yeah overwatch came out of it but they got lucky) and they shoulda gone for a starcraft mmo or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man it bums me out how much better the blizzard north version of d3 looked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all mmos are bad because they’re all fantasy even the scifi ones play like fantasy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol forever if they did their stupid lore revamp for an mmo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no it isn't. fortnite is more popular.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah lol wasn't the most popular of all time either (for example dota1 had as many matches in china on its three biggest clients as league had worldwide at its height). and i was just speaking of now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spam Musubi posted:

It’s crazy money cuz of kids. But I just need a good MMo, and the only company I actually see giving Blizzard a run for their money is riot games.

riot's not good at game making so i dunno why you think they'd make a good mmo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the good guy city in kunark was even named after her.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's weird they made an mmo and slapped the elder scrolls name on it rather than make an elder scrolls game that's an mmo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah it just doesn't play like an elder scrolls game at all so that's why i characterized it that way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean it looks/controls nothing like one. i don't mean the whole "you're the chosen one" thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Orv posted:

You're right, it's better playing and controlling than a SP Elder Scrolls game.

Granted not a high bar.

oh yeah i wasn't making a judgment on quality (i don't like the elder scrolls games for the most part) just that it'sw eird they made it nothing like one apart from being set in the same world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2006? didn't it come out in 2004?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not really classic then. blizzard fumbles a layup once again!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did everyone who talks about old wow like that never play an mmo before it? because i played launch wow and it was a cakewalk compared to anything else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Khorne posted:

My point is more we've all already played WoW classic. We all know that the journey is mundane and the end result isn't worth the time invested. Maybe some people will get a nostalgia high and play with a fun group of people, but there's not a whole lot else to hope for there.

Yes, it was less grindy and a streamlined experience at the time. Outside of the launch window where it was ultra laggy, crashed a lot, and had tons of people in every area. I'm not comparing WoW classic to DAoC/AO/EQ/RO. I'm comparing it to spending your time on this earth on other activities and 2019 titles.

i didn't mean to call you out specifically it's just something i saw a lot of when classic was announced. i only played pre-burning crusade so i have no idea what the game is like now but it was funny when they posted all the classic features people were reporting as bugs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaysette posted:

I miss EQ Next.

eq next was looking like they totally missed what eq should be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come no mmos after eq went with first person as the default view.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i liked it in eq it was immersive.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i understand the gameplay reasons but man nothing beat the immersion of first person eq.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i remember when swg was first getting press my friends and i were thinking up the characters we'd play and the ship we'd all hang out in and i envisioned us chilling in our ship as it went world to world and there weren't ships on release and i don't even know if there were ships that you could actually hang out and walk around in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why does every eastern mmo look the same.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just find it finally when people talk about how hard classic wow was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not, but it can be obtuse and not everybody uses the word 'obtuse' so you have to read between the lines on what they mean.

It was just time consuming really, but if its your first game of that style you're gonna have to learn a lot the hard way.

i meant lol if it wasn't your first mmo. wow on launch was a loving cakewalk compared to eq.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Woah woah woah

Dark Souls is at least fun. I refuse to believe that anyone wants to play tab combat with hotkeys anymore

my dream back in the mmo heyday was someone making one with actual combat. alas.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I agree.

I also think Dark Souls got it the closest with the exploration and the mystery.

fromsoft has pretty much ruined video games for me due to being head and shoulders above everyone else at it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BexGu posted:

I just wish there would more non-fantasy MMO, something with guns. I would love a updated Tabula Rasa without tab combat.

i remember when anarchy online came out as the first sci-fi mmo but it was pretty much fantasy in a sci-fi outfit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never understood why ESO doesn't play like an elder scrolls game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SweetBro posted:

Because as this was discussed for the umpteenth time: MMO required design choices clash with core TES design choices (at least modern TES) from either a purely design standpoint (can't be gibbing quest NPCs that other players need) or an implementation standpoint (server-side physics for hundreds/thousands of concurrent is not possible).

you could do it like guild wars. you could not do the physics stuff. poo poo it doesn't even have the perspective right. it just doesn't play anything like an elder scrolls game - chomp has the right of it.

BexGu posted:

Almost ALL of them where that. Wildstar was just WoW with a new coat of paint and lovely everything else.

even though i'm obviously a huge slut for the souls games i'm more of a sci-fi guy so it bummed me out in the mmo heyday that there weren't really any true scifi ones apart from star wars.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 7, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaysette posted:

are we just not counting eve online for some reason?

you're just a spaceship in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's a kind of sci-fi that's practically fantasy but most people know what you mean when you say "i want a sci-fi mmo". and yeah like xun said in this game genre it's not like there's a lot of fantasy that's any different than the popular template.