Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CYBEReris posted:

at least now ime the queues work properly even if they take a while at peak. just a few days ago you'd be constantly kicked to the back because of errors that close the application.

I was still getting booted from the queue regularly last night after the fix so imo it still has the same problems with needing to babysit the extremely long queue.

Game is still great but I don’t think it is a good time to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm honestly having a lot of fun with Zenith. It's definitely got tons of that early MMO jank but the VR parts work for me because the movement is a lot of fun and the gameplay loop of 'find fun things hidden around this VR world' is engaging because the climbing and gliding are really fun. The gliding seemed 'meh' at first to me, but there is an option called 'sensitive gliding' that made it 100x better than the 'standard' option and it really should be the default. Using the abilities with hand gestures is pretty fun too, though I keep accidentally casting some kind of AE damage spell under myself whenever I climb things.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Zenith looks neat but it also kinda looks like 'too much'. Having to play Cooking Simulator to make anything would get tedious pretty quick I imagine.

I tried cooking last night and it is definitely involved and I could see it getting annoying if you have to do it a lot. I haven't tried to level it so I'm not sure how 'grindy' it is. You can also just find food in the world (like oranges on the trees) to eat that will heal you, though the cooked food lasts longer and seems to give you buffs (I have 2 recipes so I don't know a lot about it yet).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 2, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm not gonna suggest anyone run out and buy a quest just to play Zenith. It's janky and doesn't seem to have a ton of content at the moment but for $25 and no sub cost I'm enjoying it. It's certainly no FF14 or WoW replacement though and I think anyone expecting it to have that kind of depth will be disappointed.

I'm also definitely not using it just as VR chat (I've never actually used VR chat). I've talked to and helped some people out in the game but I'm not really a social gamer.

A few times I've forgotten that the mic is on while I'm playing though and that's been weird. My dog snuck out the door and was barking so I yelled out to my wife 'Is everything ok?!' and this other player near me fighting one easy enemy was like, 'Yeah, I'm fine'.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Draynar posted:

Tried Zenith but it's noticeably laggy :(

It definitely helps to go to a 'low' population shard (your character isn't tied to a shard).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I haven’t tried it yet but from what I read it seems like Black Desert Online. Some fun stuff wrapped up with a pointless hollow world constantly asking you to buy more poo poo to alleviate its horrible grind. Is that true?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

eonwe posted:

I want some really low graphics MMOs. I just feel like its a lot easier to make a sandbox MMO when you can leave animations and stuff to the imagination

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
XxSephirothxX says, 'LFG!'

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Which I think is going to backfire since Wrath was when the game really became accessible. Most of the clunky things from Vanilla and TBC were ironed out and raiding was extremely easy to get into with catch up mechanics etc. I can't see the "hardcore" crowd really sticking with it.

I agree with what you are saying in general, but the catch up mechanics were already in the game in the burning crusade. I caused a RL friend of mine to quit WoW forever by linking a green staff I got off of a boar in hellfire peninsula and laughing at how it was better than the staff he had spent countless nights raiding to get from Nefarian. He logged out and never played again.

blatman posted:

I met most of my mmo friends over the years because I was the tank and if I was dps then I would have just blended into the woodwork, the old social experience is almost exclusively remembered positively by tanks and healers

Playing tank or healer certainly made it a lot easier. I played a resto druid on a pvp server in vanilla wow and could basically get a group or raid anywhere I wanted.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah, expansions always come with resets. I more meant how by wrath you could jump in when ICC released and gear up to do it without being forced to find a group to prog through Naxx - > Ulduar before finally getting to do the current stuff.

Oh ok, yeah that is a good point, the catch up mechanics from patch to patch within an expansion got much much better. I was so sick of molten core but we still constantly ran it to gear up new players.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I remember when the ‘holy trinity’ was tank, healer, and enchanter crowd control back in EQ. People didn’t really parse damage and nobody really seemed to know or care. It was actually kind of nice.

Then again my ‘rotation’ consisted of standing behind a monster and hitting the same single button over and over again.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Large groups are better imo. 6-8

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think it might be interesting for an MMO to go back to pen and paper and board games for inspiration rather than old MMOs. For example, combat could be less about rotations and reacting to boss mechanics and more about conserving resources and choosing your battles wisely. Good groups could go further and accomplish before having to stop because they manage their spells/ammo/morale/items/whatever better.

One thing I miss about the early days of MMOs is just how different a lot of the games felt. Anarchy Online, EQ, Eve, CoH, AC, UO, etc all felt like they had very different gameplay and mechanics. FF14 is a great game but it, WoW, SWTOR, LoTRO, ESO, etc all kinda feel like they have the same basic gameplay engine under the hood. It's basically everyone chasing WoW which was chasing EQ. It would be nice to see some really different ideas.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Odd Wilson posted:

Reminds me of how in ye olden times than GMs in MMOs would occasionally do fun, on the spot stuff whether it was running some actual event or spawning a world boss where it's not supposed to be.

This would also be a rather neat experience if it was realized correctly.

Back when I was playing EQ shortly after the release of Kunark I was in the Lavastorm Mountains (had to look that up) when it began to snow (which is something it never did in the zone since it was your typical 'fire/lava' MMO zone). There were like 3 'friendly' goblins named things like 'chilly' controlled by DMs who were making lots of silly remarks and giving out some low level gear to people. I still remember it today when that was over 20 years ago so yeah, I would say you were right it was pretty neat.

I seem to remember instances where one of the gods would invade a zone or something but I was never around for that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I wanted the core game of elite dangerous to expand like Eve did but based on odyssey they seem to have botched it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

City of heroes?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Phigs posted:

My experience playing WoW Classic and observing people in my guild who had kids is that an MMO is perfectly fine to play with kids because you don't have to pay attention all the time. Especially stuff like waiting for a group you can easily do that while playing with your kid. It's not like having us prevented our parents from spending hours a day watching TV.

I think it's more a matter of not wanting to spend the time on an MMO instead of family/work/resting. Which is totally fair.

Yes you are absolutely right that playing an MMO falls behind because of family obligations, but specifically the problem with MMOs is that you can't pause them. I can (and do) play games but with kids, stuff just comes up constantly. Spilled drinks, sibling arguments, dirty diapers, requests to play, tieing shoes, etc etc etc (it's endless and exhausting, lol). I don't want to be in the middle of a raid or boss fight and have to let everyone die because my kid left the door open and the dog got out or whatever.

Now if you manage your time effectively and coordinate with help (partner, relatives, other parents with kids, etc) it is quite possible to come up with a good MMO schedule but it's nowhere near as easy as the old days of signing on after school/work and signing off at 2am or whatever and I'm just never dedicated enough to MMOs anymore to bother. I tend to play the easy part with the welfare epics or whatever and peace out the instant the 'end game grind' starts.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 29, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Oldstench posted:

Being a Cleric, casting 4 spells and then having to sit for 10 minutes waiting for my mana to recharge before getting Meditation sure was fun.

Also just staring at the spellbook before whatever level let you actually see what was happening in front of you was fun too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

EQs difficulty was always about the time investment required to accomplish anything. Also I suppose the social investment to get groups, form guilds, trade, etc. There was also an air of mystery about things that just can’t exist anymore due to the early age of the internet and how information was shared.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah. I like FF14 but sometimes I miss the days of being able to just chill out and relax while playing EQ with some friends and not having to worry about my rotation and trying to maximize my parsed DPS or whatever.

Then again I'm old now and have kids so there is no chance in hell I'd ever be able to commit to something like that again. At least not until I'm retired.

Maybe when the OG MMO generation starts to retire there will be some form of boom in incredibly slow paced timesink MMOs again?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

30.5 Days posted:

e: it's even worse for specific camps that drop specific must-have items. At one point a very desirable rare drop in everquest was turned into a quest reward just because the camp had 24h+ waiting list or something insane like that.

*suddenly has flashbacks of camping for the flowing black silk sash*

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Can a mod please unlock this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008474 I'm assuming the OP locked it, so people couldn't laugh at him anymore.

lol I read until I saw 'deposited my life savings into this game'.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like what I'm really missing in an MMO is the feeling of being trapped in a virtual timeshare.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Truga posted:

said if you didn't drop a bunch of money in it first thing out of the gate, the only gameplay was camping oil barrel spawns outside noobtown, trying to pick them up before anyone else, and selling them

Somewhere somebody thinks fondly back on this and wonders why MMOs are so lovely now. "Oil barrel camping really made you feel like you EARNED it"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Brass posted:

Capitalistic greed ruins everything.

Well, that and rampant unchecked sexual harassment.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mr. Neutron posted:

I would also recommend giving GW2 a consideration. The game has many issues but most of them only really affecting veteran/'hardcore' players. For a complete newcomer it's a blast.

Yeah this is a pretty good recommendation. I've been thinking of getting back into it but waiting for a sale. I love FF14 but I'm pretty much a content locust who plays a ton for a few months and then quits for a year or two until there is more content to come back to.

I've gotten old enough that I can't really stomach any MMO (or MMO-like) high level gear grind anymore.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I remember how excited people were for the open PVP zones in Warhammer and at least on my server (I assume this was common though) after the first like two weeks, no one actually did anything in these pvp zones and instead would just wait until like 3am and take the forts with almost zero resistance, rinse and repeat from both sides, was so lame.

I remember people spending a ton of time zerging around the tier 1 war zones.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PyRosflam posted:

Game Devs are not making games they want to play, they are making games the EA CEO wants you to play, with lots of ways to get money out of players and every pay to win mechanic ever.

Blizzard is dead, making games fun on their own is dead, indy games pay Russian roulette with streamers to see if they can get anything. All thats left is CEOs demanding you play their game about gambling and feed bills into the slot every few hours.

And soon we will all be dead too RIP

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MMOs are like first person shooters in that they were a lot more fun when everyone was bad at them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I would have thought the nostalgia value would have dropped off by now with experiencing the vanilla and BC classic servers. I played lots of WoW back in the day and have lots of fond memories, but never for one instant did I think going back would be more than a week or so of nostalgia. You just can't unring that bell and all of the mystery and discovery would be totally gone.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sachant posted:

Liked it in original EQ then, like it in P99/ECO now. Just something really nice about finding a group and hanging out in one spot grinding down a camp and shooting the poo poo for an hour or two.

I do miss the much more chill nature of old school MMOs. I like rotations and positionals and all of that, but there was also something great about just chilling with your buds at a camp killing froglocks over and over that is missing from modern MMOs. I still think it's hilarious how many hours I put into an MMO class (rogue) where I basically just spammed one button forever.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Philonius posted:

I wonder what would be a good way to combine the convenience of modern systems with the community aspects that arised (in my experience) more naturally in the janky old games. There are tools available to stay in touch with people, but the jump from 'randomly assigned to the same 15 minute dungeon once' to 'in a discord, raiding together' is a chasm. In modern MMOs, you have friends and strangers. No casual acquiaintances, people you recognize from running in to them repeatedly.

Maybe a system where after a run, you can rightclick on someone's name and select 'A+, would play with again' , and then in future the game tries to match people who liked eachother. Or just having the dungeon finder prioritize people from the same realm, I'm not sure how much it does so now, in any game.

Honestly I don't think it was just janky old game systems forcing communities to get together, but also an altogether different type of community or mindset. Back in the beginning days of MMO it was a whole new type of game and most of those were players 'first' MMO experiences. In my experience people came into them from backgrounds in single player RPGs, pen and paper RPGs, or just as general fans of the lore/setting. For a time I was in one of the more advanced raiding guilds on my EQ server in the Kunark days and even then I would say the majority of friends and guildies identified with their character in some way and had an attachment to their online avatar. People played a class and race because they thought it was cool, not because a website said it had the best DPS. The game(s) hadn't really been 'solved' yet by the majority of people and most of the player base was generally lost and feeling their way around in the dark but still having fun in the sense of adventure that came with exploring an unknown game world.

Now players are far more educated and before even creating a character you can easily already know which class and spec does the most dps in raids, what the rotations are like, what the 'tier list' is in PvP, etc etc. Now your communities are full of former or current MMO players that have already seen variants of the standard 'wow' theme park and can dissect and conquer them in no time at all. Other people are often there just to help advance and make your numbers go up because the only real reason you need them is to heal, DPS, or tank group content for you. You don't need them to show you the direction to the bank, show you a good leveling spot, cast an important buff on you, teleport you across the continent, cast buffs on you so you can put on better equipment, etc anymore.

So I guess my pointless rambling leads me to believe that if MMOs want more communities they should probably come up with more reasons for people to socialize than forced grouping for fighting. As an example I think star wars galaxies tried to solve this by requiring rest from entertainers and medics.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 7, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

knox posted:

Return of Reckoning, and it's both changed substantially while following the "RvR Campaign" formula somewhat, if that's what you're asking. City sieges (instanced 24v24 warband vs warband PvP) happened after capturing enemy keeps and progressing to next zone. Problem was city sieges kept firing off at horrible times (2AM EST etc) so they made them scheduled every 2 days or so, which makes it easier to plan around. But it's also taken some of the strategy out of the ORvR campaign.

But there's been a lot of changes overall, they added two capital cities (Greenskin & Dwarf) which were not in live, balance is in a good spot in my opinion. PvE dungeons work.
I just love how the PvP has collision detection, tank classes you actually feel like a tank, with guard ability and having to guard party members/hold the line ability. Healers feel powerful, and DPS classes that shine the most need support to do so, etcetc. Getting closer to finally having a best-in-slot character and with the double xp/renown event they had to coincide with LazyPeon's 2nd video featuring it I've been playing it a lot.

God I remember some pvp map where I would spend the entire time booting people off a bridge into lava over and over and it was kind of great for me but probably sucked a lot for them. The pvp stuff was fun but the leveling quickly became tedious in that game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I actually did all of my punting as a black orc but I vaguely remember considering switching to ironbreaker when I read they were better at it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FrostyPox posted:

I have a visceral hatred of Ironbreakers because I played a Blackguard in live and IBs were better in pretty much every respect IIRC (if I ever play RoR I'll still probably play a Blackguard or IB)

Yeah there definitely seemed to be balance issues where certain mirrored classes were much better on one side or the other.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ChickenMedium posted:

The wren, the wren, the king of all birds still lives?

Holy poo poo I had forgotten about that but your post instantly put it in my head.

There was a lot I really liked about that game but I couldn't imagine going back to it now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Probably because Conan Exiles made them a shitload of money

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

And you can hit the rock and scoop the sand and combine 100 rock and 30 sand into FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.

I would much rather have AO2 than some sort of conan exiles reskin.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hra Mormo posted:

Everything I've heard about the Dune MMO paints it as a Conan Exiles reskin, which to me just misses every point you could possibly miss about Dune. There are settings for letting your player make their own little shitshack with a box and a workbench, but Arrakis is not it.

To be fair, I haven't actually watched or read anything about it so I'm not a good source just making an assumption based on the 'survivor mmo' description.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you kill somebody in PvP you have to take care of their family.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

an iksar marauder posted:

Is this true? Who even likes conan

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/conan-exiles-best-seller-1202866154/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaysette posted:

I bought a new computer for Age of Conan back in the day lol

I remember the release of that game and I don't think I've ever seen a quality dropoff more dramatic in one of these games than when you first left Tortage.