Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess there was some new information about Pantheon Rise of the Fallen (other than it being a scam), this is about the mounts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqtahENhpE it sounds terrible. The whole thing is as inaccessible as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

OhFunny posted:

Lost Ark looks to be the current hotness with actual staying power. It's been holding at 200k concurrent players on Steam. I can't speak for its endgame content though.

Lost Ark's endgame content is the furthest thing away from casual friendly as possible. The only way to progress gear at any meaningful pace is to do the high end raids and there is no way around it.

In other MMO news, the private servers that resurrected the SMT:Imagine MMO after it ended are shutting down after one of them got sued by Atlus.

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1574234914412990467

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super loving lovely of Atlus to do this. Atlus shut the official servers down over 10 years ago. This private emulator server was ran as a passion project with zero donations or money allowed to be given to it. Volunteers ran the server entirely with their own money and wrote all of the code and software to make it possible to play again. It was a very faithful recreation of SMT:Imagine as it was before it closed. Atlus can go gently caress themselves.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

I said come in! posted:

Super loving lovely of Atlus to do this. Atlus shut the official servers down over 10 years ago. This private emulator server was ran as a passion project with zero donations or money allowed to be given to it. Volunteers ran the server entirely with their own money and wrote all of the code and software to make it possible to play again. It was a very faithful recreation of SMT:Imagine as it was before it closed. Atlus can go gently caress themselves.

Yeah, it's a pretty garbage move- the thing was a passion project by fans through and through. Alas, I never got around to playing it myself, and I guess now I never will.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Odd Wilson posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty garbage move- the thing was a passion project by fans through and through. Alas, I never got around to playing it myself, and I guess now I never will.

It was a cool game! I got to play on the fan server a lot. Extremely niche though, the only people really playing it were the super hardcore SMT crowd. Which is another reason why this was a terrible move.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Moochewmoo posted:

What's the current PvE game of choice right now? With a large amount of casual end game content.

GW2 and FFXIV. GW2 has a more casual end game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, unless you're savage raiding, FF14 is way more casual from a grind perspective. to get loving anything in gw2 beyond basic exotic gear like ascended stuff for fractals or just some good fashion, you're gonna grind them dailies for weeks lmao

otoh, latest savage content in ff14 is probably way harder than gw2's raids, i've only cleared the first 2 raids in gw2 but it was all done in a single everning lol

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
To be clear, ReImagine is not the private server being sued. It's a different private server that did a bit more than just server implementation (their website is a copy of the original Imagine website but with their own logo and copyrights added) and then the software project COMP_Hack that allowed the server implementation from what I understand. ReImagine is shutting down as a pre-emptive safety maneuver.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

Lost Ark's endgame content is the furthest thing away from casual friendly as possible. The only way to progress gear at any meaningful pace is to do the high end raids and there is no way around it.

In other MMO news, the private servers that resurrected the SMT:Imagine MMO after it ended are shutting down after one of them got sued by Atlus.

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1574234914412990467

To be entirely fair, Lost Ark's "high end" raids are extremely accessible and the only thing you really need a try-hard guild for is if you want to clear content as soon as it launches, or if you want to tackle the various challenge modes for bragging rights. I was a hermit with no guild and no stable group, relying exclusively on pubbies (which is hell in any game) and I was able to clear raids and progress at pretty steady pace, being consistently roughly 2-3 weeks behind the try-hards.

I quit, because the end-game was just relentless grind of dailies and weeklies with absolutely nothing else to do and I once again realized 6 months into a Theme Park MMORPG, that I really need a PvP element for the game to hold my interest. So if all you want is overwhelming PvE focus, Lost Ark is good choice. It looks and plays incredibly well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lost Arks end game raiding is 50/50 in my opinion. You can do what is called bussing where one or two people can carry everyone else through the raid. The part that sucks is upgrading your gear, the percentage chances to upgrade are very low at the top tier of end game, and this just makes the whole thing massively frustrating.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I said come in! posted:

the percentage chances to upgrade are very low at the top tier of end game, and this just makes the whole thing massively frustrating.

Yeah, this is why I quit. There was a lot to like with the different island quests and some really fun dungeons and set pieces but the gem grind killed me. I think the Romantic Weapon song was the high point of the game for me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Truga posted:

IMO, unless you're savage raiding, FF14 is way more casual from a grind perspective. to get loving anything in gw2 beyond basic exotic gear like ascended stuff for fractals or just some good fashion, you're gonna grind them dailies for weeks lmao

otoh, latest savage content in ff14 is probably way harder than gw2's raids, i've only cleared the first 2 raids in gw2 but it was all done in a single everning lol

yeah i wouldn't say GW2 is less grindy so much as the fruits of your grinding are much more permanent. there won't be a patch every three months that escalates the optimal gear level 20 ilevels, there's just Exotics, Ascendeds, and Legendaries.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Suppose I went back to Lost Ark now, having done the story stuff and stopped when it looked to just be a grind. Is there a way to get up to the gear level of my friends to do stuff with them or will I always be X months behind on the treadmill unless they stop and wait for me?

FF14's style of "current endgame is X tier, X-1 tier is basically free so you can hop in once you finish the MSQ" has spoiled me.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I've tried FF14 like 3 times and the story filler content is just to god drat much, and while I trust the story is great I struggle to engage with it so much. I figured GW2 or maybe ESO but wasn't sure about any better options.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Moochewmoo posted:

and while I trust the story is great

oh, it isn't

part of it is, but most of it is not

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i don't think worldbuilding is really filler content tbh. all the good bits hit hardest because you're given time to get familiar with where you are, what's going on, and why you should care. by comparison i.e. in GW2's story there are lots of points where I struggled to understand where I was, what I was doing, and why it mattered because there's little to no buildup, you're just thrown into poo poo going on in areas you don't have much context for.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Bruceski posted:

Suppose I went back to Lost Ark now, having done the story stuff and stopped when it looked to just be a grind. Is there a way to get up to the gear level of my friends to do stuff with them or will I always be X months behind on the treadmill unless they stop and wait for me?

FF14's style of "current endgame is X tier, X-1 tier is basically free so you can hop in once you finish the MSQ" has spoiled me.

It really depends on what the ilvl of your friends are/their alts. Lost Ark is a very alt-centric game and there's a decent chance that your friends will have alts at a lower ilvl to run content with you. I can give a more detailed breakdown in the Lost Ark thread if you want more details.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Neutron posted:

It still does not support controllers though, does it?

Lost Ark? It supported controllers from day 1, that's entirely how I played it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Moochewmoo posted:

I've tried FF14 like 3 times and the story filler content is just to god drat much, and while I trust the story is great I struggle to engage with it so much. I figured GW2 or maybe ESO but wasn't sure about any better options.

When you hit 80, you can spend maybe 10-15g to get all exotics off the trading post, making you ready to do 100% of content other than high fractals and raids. I think having a full set of legendary armor (months-long grind) makes you like 5-10% better than all exotics?

Also I just did vanilla's personal story 1-80 and sold everything I got and made about 30g altogether somehow.

GW2 is extremely casual-friendly, but they have hardcore high-end content (for some reason) if you're really into that but most people don't gently caress with that. But it has endless grinds and bars to fill, for doing fun content and nothing really goes obsolete. I still saw people doing Orr metas.

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 27, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah the best part of GW2 is you get some exotic gear (which isn’t at all exotic or even rare) and, so long as they don’t gently caress around with builds too much, you can just leave that character that way forever. New stuff comes along with different stat combinations and maybe some hot new runes alter things a little, but 98% of the time it only matters for the most optional end game stuff. It’s an extremely easy game for me to devote time to because I know that time is almost never going to be invalidated by a new patch.

Edit: as said above, because vertical progression is mostly frozen and the open world is so heavily encouraged the game has tons of ancient content that’s still routinely run. It’s awesome to hop back in to old zones and see them frequently quite populated.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also everything is roughly similar on the gold game so you’re never wasting your time doing anything.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I tucked the kids into bed and logged onto WoW Classic last night around 8pm to see if I could get in for the nostalgia bomb that is Grizzly Hills – 14k queue, ~3 hour wait time. :downs:

Welp.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kedo posted:

I tucked the kids into bed and logged onto WoW Classic last night around 8pm to see if I could get in for the nostalgia bomb that is Grizzly Hills – 14k queue, ~3 hour wait time. :downs:

Welp.

So perfect recreation of launch then?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lost Ark? It supported controllers from day 1, that's entirely how I played it

I tried it shortly after it came out and while you could technically play on a controller, all the interfaces and menus were built around kb+m. If that has changed I'll definitely give it another go.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

kedo posted:

Does the private Warhammer server whose name I forget follow the same basic formula, or has it changed substantially, anyone know?

Return of Reckoning, and it's both changed substantially while following the "RvR Campaign" formula somewhat, if that's what you're asking. City sieges (instanced 24v24 warband vs warband PvP) happened after capturing enemy keeps and progressing to next zone. Problem was city sieges kept firing off at horrible times (2AM EST etc) so they made them scheduled every 2 days or so, which makes it easier to plan around. But it's also taken some of the strategy out of the ORvR campaign.

But there's been a lot of changes overall, they added two capital cities (Greenskin & Dwarf) which were not in live, balance is in a good spot in my opinion. PvE dungeons work.
I just love how the PvP has collision detection, tank classes you actually feel like a tank, with guard ability and having to guard party members/hold the line ability. Healers feel powerful, and DPS classes that shine the most need support to do so, etcetc. Getting closer to finally having a best-in-slot character and with the double xp/renown event they had to coincide with LazyPeon's 2nd video featuring it I've been playing it a lot.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

knox posted:

Return of Reckoning, and it's both changed substantially while following the "RvR Campaign" formula somewhat, if that's what you're asking. City sieges (instanced 24v24 warband vs warband PvP) happened after capturing enemy keeps and progressing to next zone. Problem was city sieges kept firing off at horrible times (2AM EST etc) so they made them scheduled every 2 days or so, which makes it easier to plan around. But it's also taken some of the strategy out of the ORvR campaign.

But there's been a lot of changes overall, they added two capital cities (Greenskin & Dwarf) which were not in live, balance is in a good spot in my opinion. PvE dungeons work.
I just love how the PvP has collision detection, tank classes you actually feel like a tank, with guard ability and having to guard party members/hold the line ability. Healers feel powerful, and DPS classes that shine the most need support to do so, etcetc. Getting closer to finally having a best-in-slot character and with the double xp/renown event they had to coincide with LazyPeon's 2nd video featuring it I've been playing it a lot.

God I remember some pvp map where I would spend the entire time booting people off a bridge into lava over and over and it was kind of great for me but probably sucked a lot for them. The pvp stuff was fun but the leveling quickly became tedious in that game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

God I remember some pvp map where I would spend the entire time booting people off a bridge into lava over and over and it was kind of great for me but probably sucked a lot for them. The pvp stuff was fun but the leveling quickly became tedious in that game.

That was the level range where I quit the game, because I made the foolish decision to play Destruction, and Ironbreaker - which Destruction had no equivalent to on launch - had this incredibly strong knockback (which I think was AoE) that made every single battleground in the magma map completely onesided. Just one of those things that inspired zero confidence in the dev team going forwards, so I ditched while the ditching was good.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

knox posted:

Thanks, that's a lot of great info! What's the state of questing / other PvE besides dungeons? It seems like the primary focus is RvR which is great, but I'm curious how fleshed out the rest of the game is.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Lmao still a thing and still hilarious every time, tank punting/AoE punting people into lava forever.
They just have a x2 xp event where you could hit 40 in a day if you had some hardcore premade queuing for scenarios over and over, but very easily 1-40 in few days. It is still easy without the x2, since the population just got a 30% bump from LazyPeon's 2nd video 2 weeks ago. It's a good time to join the server because there's a lot of new players and people leveling at the moment. I think it's still the best MMO PvP out there. I rotate between this and DAOC (Phoenix shutdown and I played few other private servers but waiting for Eden/Phoenix 2.0 to launch before playing again.) I played the Warhammer Online a shitton as a kid so it was awesome getting back into the game in 2020 during first LazyPeon wave, server population went from like 1k to 3.5k. Now it's backup to like 1.3k during EU primetime.

kedo posted:

Thanks, that's a lot of great info! What's the state of questing / other PvE besides dungeons? It seems like the primary focus is RvR which is great, but I'm curious how fleshed out the rest of the game is.

A lot of people ask this obviously as the majority of MMO players enjoy PvE. Warhammer Online infamously started the Public Quests thing and some are fun/they're still really good way to level. But definitely the game is PvP/RvR based and I wouldn't say the PvE will keep you playing or anything like that. There's people constantly running the various dungeons though, and they are still adding PvE stuff every patch, quest lines or new event quest lines like they just had. They've gotten all the PvE stuff working.
If you level strictly through PvE though you will be massively behind in your Renown Rank that you level through PvP scenarios and RvR, so you need to balance it. RR80 is basically max where you stop getting any benefits to your character (there's a few RR100 on server which is insane, the true max is I think RR255 but no one would approach that for 100 years.)

knox fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 28, 2022

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what's it like to play a healer on this server yall are talking about?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are 3 types of healers there.

An A/B point building healer, being the high elf arch mage or the greenskin shaman, where you DPS and gain up to 5 points which makes your next heal bigger, or vice versa. They can stick to one side if they want.

Then there is the chaos zealot / dwarf runepriest which can buff people and give them temp skills, and tends to be a more traditional healer with some damage shields.

And last is the human warrior priest / dark elf disciple of khaine healer who normally builds up points in melee to use heals. Very good solo, high end not so good unless they switch out weapons that let them generate those points out of combat.

I normally played destruction and really enjoy the first two healers, while I find I don't want the stigma of being a disciple of khaine healer who does mediocre dps and focuses on their selves.

Without a premade, the scenarios / arenas will be frustrating at times due to too few healers or too many. At the same time a lot of healers have to be spiked hard or people need to spec for anti-heal skills.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 28, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warrior Priest is the best class in Warhammer Online and don't let anyone tell you different.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ironbreaker and its not even close. :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warrior Priest is one of the best healers and I think one of the earliest melee healers where you needed to use melee skills in order to heal and that's a really cool dynamic

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ironbreaker and its not even close. :colbert:

:psydwarf:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I just like seeing little angry bearded man punting big edgy dudes into lava.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lt. Lizard posted:

I just like seeing little angry bearded man punting big edgy dudes into lava.

Oh, then yeah IB is the best

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I actually did all of my punting as a black orc but I vaguely remember considering switching to ironbreaker when I read they were better at it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have a visceral hatred of Ironbreakers because I played a Blackguard in live and IBs were better in pretty much every respect IIRC (if I ever play RoR I'll still probably play a Blackguard or IB)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FrostyPox posted:

I have a visceral hatred of Ironbreakers because I played a Blackguard in live and IBs were better in pretty much every respect IIRC (if I ever play RoR I'll still probably play a Blackguard or IB)

Yeah there definitely seemed to be balance issues where certain mirrored classes were much better on one side or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Squid Hunter was stupid good compared to WL solely because they could just chill at range doing roughly the same damage