Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

bring back autoa ssault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i was gonna but im 3 hours too late to the giveaways

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

earth and beyond 2

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://megaman.fandom.com/wiki/Spark_Mandrill

my username was mandrill back in like 2004 or something, ive never changed my avatar since

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gently caress i miss old school UO. i was like 12 when it came out and i was playing, made friends with some blacksmith dude that lived outside britain. im sure i was annoying as gently caress being 12 but man it was such a good time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its kind of insane how many new players are in FFXIV. i did an 8 man trial (mini raidboss thing) earlier and 6 of the 8 were newbies, for one of the 2nd expansion ones.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

This gives me phendrana drifts vibes from Metroid Prime

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

jokes posted:

Now imagine it takes you about 40 hours of real, honest, work to get to that point.

FFXI is a good game now. I'm not even qualifying it, I just straight up enjoy the game. The UI is dogshit, but other than that it's a dang good video game, even if you play basically entirely on your own.

gonna try it

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man the trusts thing is cool in ffxi, i now have a little cute white mage following my thief around

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

its neat comparing some of these classes to FFXIV. Im following a guide that says probably THF and BLU are good first classes, so im gonna do that. BLU looks insane.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i enjoyed the ARR story all the way through, before they did any of the story adjusting. I'm glad you get ana mazing single player game on top of having some really good MMO stuff too. its dope.

im trying 11 now tho and its really neat in an old game way

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

is a really drat good documentary on it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

my ffxi quest continues, i now have a squad of 4 murderhobos that follow me around

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ESO has the worst goddamn combat of any mmo ive played, Ive tried so many times to get into it but it just feels awful fighting stuff.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Pandaal posted:

Lol yes I work in the marketing department, we figured if I astroturfed the "jaded MMO player" thread on SomethingAwful dot com that would really boost the sales.

I just like the game and wanted people like me to know about it.

e: but yes, I'll shut up about it

its all good, we should all be able to post about the mmos we like

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i think ascension is hosted in some country that gives no gently caress about IP law

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im feeling like getting lotro and just like, level capping myself at each zone and just exploring the stories and stuff, i love lotr, but i dunno if the game writing holds up

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

It sounds pretty neat, I'll try it out for sure.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whos gonna make the goon guild that collapses within a week

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

eonwe posted:

are you saying you don't love picking up a quest and travelling a quarter of the way across the world to kill 5 mobs and then going back to turn it in

how do i get a blue name

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i started as journey at sea in the north

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i sat in eureka in FFXIV for like a good 1.5 weeks a few weeks ago grinding out the relic and armor and i saw the same names there daily, made a couple friends on other servers just from being at the same fates and bosses all the time. little emote exchanges turned into chatting and whatnot after interacting for awhile.

it was fun!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how is OSRS so popular? i fired it up because hey, mobile client but man, its rough

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah paladin is more like a lucio from overwatch kinda deal. you're in there doign damage an stuff and you have aoe abilities that pulse out healing and buffs.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

And every quest is like kill one mob, nothing is a rare drop

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lost ark launched today and has been down for like 8 hours now

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lmao well that killed any interest in me trying WoTLK classic.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Phigs posted:

I wonder if there would be a market for premium MMOs where the servers are relatively small and the devs are more hands-on with the populace so its a more boutique experience for a niche audience who pays a premium price for the experience. I think a maybe the rut for MMOs is they've basically hit pretty close to the optimal way, or at least the local optimal way, to please a whole bunch of players cost-effectively. To do more interesting things might need more resources and a more dedicated player base.

there was a heyday of RP ultima online servers that were like this. back when i was like 17 i played on a couple that would pull like 50-100 people concurrent and had poo poo tons of RP events and whatnot. Was really fun if you were into that stuff. was free tho.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

poo poo im tempted to try that out.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ff14 imo has the best storyline of any mmo, it made me feel emotions which was pretty rad, and its gameplay is dope and the boss fights are the best in the genre. and the class balance is crazy good, and they dont rely on fomo bs like wow does now, you can feel free to unsub and come back for major patches or skip a couple and catch up later, is what i do.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ff14 has the most social scene out of all the big MMOs I think with housing and all that.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

id only play wotlk classic if the dungeon finder was in it. im too casual to look for groups.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wasnt there another online game where you could like pilot a few different ships and you had to protect your mothership or some poo poo, called alliance or something like that

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Oh it's being published by DE? that gives me hope that the monetization will be alright, warframes is pretty reasonable.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

and yet somehow LOTRO will be better, as old as it is

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

God I played starbase with TT and he was the weirdest loving dude, and to he set up the goon guild for that game too.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I made some of my best online friends via RP servers on wow/Ultima online/FFXIV, you definitely do a larger amount of social interaction in that kind of environment.

Some of my favorite gaming moments are from a small private RP Ultima online server like 19 years ago

gently caress I'm old

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Every MMO needs to take a lesson from FFXIV about keeping old content relevant. Every day in running old dungeons for the leveling roulette, old raids for Alliance roulette,, stuff like that

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Heavensward bad? That expansion was amazing

My rating would be all good to great right after arr, with stormbliod being just ok, and endbringer down into bad again

queeb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

EW suffers coming after the pinnacle of shadowbringers, I hated how zodiark was dealt with, thought meteon was mid.

I did cry at the urangier/moenbrida part though, they got me good there.