Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

drag dog tutorial

So I tried this out a few days ago and ended up giving up cause the launcher was totally blacked out every time I opened it. Nothing on reddit seemed to solve my issue. you ever seen this problem before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Frog Act posted:

How did this work out for you, I've looked at GV many times but always moved on because of the poor reviews

I've played it on and off since before steam. When i played last year it was extremely janky but they had made some really great improvements. The PVP is actually pretty fun, and the RvR creates a lot of fun dynamics with other players. It reminds me a whole lot of the Mount and Blade persistant servers, so if you played or enjoyed that i would recommend it.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I mean, as Jim said, its Jank as poo poo. But the core gameplay loop is fun. The RvR feels like a real-time DaOC without magic. I'm having a lot of fun. I inadvertently picked the underdog faction and getting my poo poo smashed every castle or fight on the field kind of stinks.

I'd recommend it for 20 bux. Goons have played worse.

Which one is the underdog faction now?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sangmar/Azeb empire is getting crushed. Every castle defense is like 50 howling Norsemen or Western European knights crashing through the gates.

It's not even a population thing. The most dominant guild just stinks and gets steamrolled on the regs.

That sucks! I was kind of interested in checking them out. Their main city looks way more polished than the others.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Try it out Jim. I'd play the game with you. Not that I'm any good. I'll make a discord when I get home if you're down.

Unfortunately my fiancee and I got super locked in to conan exiles recently. I'd love to check it out again, and might have some time this weekend though. PM me the discord info regardless.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Fruity20 posted:

I'm gonna be honest and frank:

I grew up in the 2000s and as such I never really cared about more older 90s mmos goons like to talk about often and even more turned off by their controls.

I grew up playing all the 90's / early 00's MMORPG's, and why the whole "Hold left mouse to rotate camera" control scheme stayed a thing as long as it did blows my mind.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Orv posted:

This thread finally has an answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBIfg4FZQ0

How on earth Star Vault is still solvent or a going concern is utterly beyond me.

I always wondered this too. But to their credit they are still updating mortal online to this day, with not insignificant updates.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

The good parts of MMOs has always been the shell. The big world, the social experience, long-term progress and significant, tangible gains on character growth.

The moment-to-moment gameplay, the core, that has always been the weak part.

I think if you made an MMO that was exactly like World of Warcraft but it had FPS elements for ranged classes and had real-time dark souls like combat for melee classes, that it would take off like nobody's business. Even if it was still "go kill 10 bears and bring me 10 bear asses", if killing the bears was fun as poo poo, you'd be fine with that.

Lots of people want that. Which again, is why games like Destiny and The Division and Anthem exist, they're all trying to be that, but they all hosed up in pretty big ways.

We need Dragon's Dogma Online in English already.

You touch on some pretty key points here, main one being progress and character growth. It really boils down to a players ability to set goals for their progression then the amount of options available to meet those goals.

Playing archeage unchained with my fiancee is a great example of this. When we were thinking of buying it she was most excited about owning land, crafting cool items and farming. She has no experience with standard MMO tab targeting controls and the first day playing was spent breaking down the first wall to her goals, an archaic lovely control scheme. Once she gets the hang of it we look up how to get our farms. Turns out getting your farms is literally gated by hours and hours of bear rear end collecting to hit level 30 and 50. She powers through and gets her first farm and we end up placing it (unknowingly) in a place that is constantly at war. Now her farming goals are completely poo poo on by gankers and she's completely over it.

You have a player that wants to grow potatoes so bad that they fight lovely controls, unclear objectives, and 30 levels of bear rear end to do it. Admittedly placing the farm in a PVP zone is user error but the game let it happen, and it let it happen after a torrent of other barriers. The real question is, if she could place her farm at level 1 and immediately start progressing towards a goal she was interested in, would she then go out and farm bear asses with lovely controls to defend it from gankers?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

What if your fiance could focus entirely on farming, and even hire people who want to fight to do the fighting for her so she could still place her farm in that pvp zone if she felt like it? And then that would generate content for other players, that they have a reason to fight, to help your fiance defend her farm, instead of just collecting bear asses for some NPC.

I think that scenario would fall apart as soon as you had to rely on people showing up on time, and my fiance actually paying them. User collection quests could work if they had clearly defined systems beyond just "x items for x gold". Like having experience or contribution rewards on top of the gold the issuer puts up.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

For me the game that got crafting right was Mortal Online. The weapons had different parts that effected it's performance, and each part could be crafted with different materials which would have different modifiers based on stuff like weight and durability.

For example say you want to make a bow. It would have two parts to it, the back and the core. the back effects draw strength (basically damage, full draw time, and str requirements) and to some degree durability, the core effects durability and to a lesser degree draw strength. If you used a soft wood, the bow would draw super fast, be usable by most characters with low strength and be more accurate but the damage would suffer. The opposite was true if you used something like bone or tendons. This meant that there was basically an unlimited amount of options for crafting and being good at it required research and exploration. Most of your time was spent out in the world exploring for different resources to test out. You could really rake it in if you found something that worked really well.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

i'm pretty stoked for mortal online 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbBUhtnQXJ0

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Truga posted:

people playing seem ok with it?

Nah, my fiancé has been trying for weeks to get her account transferred. Customer support kept telling her that she's not the real account owner and to send a picture of her ID next to newspaper with a recent date. Finally bit the bullet and did it, they still told her she wasn't the account owner. She's probably going to lose the account and whatever hundreds of hours of went into it.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 17, 2021

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Also possibly her identity.

Yeah that too...

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

kedo posted:

Is anyone playing the Mortal Online 2 beta? If I'm not mistaken it looks like you have to make a mandatory "donation" to be in the closed beta...?

I'm in it, and yeah you do. Did the 30 something dollar one.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

kedo posted:

How is it? Or are you NDA'd?

It's very very much an alpha. They are rolling out new features every two weeks, characters start out with max skills and stats to test features. As someone who liked MO1 a lot getting to play around with MO2 early was totally worth it. If you are looking for a complete experience I would save your money. I really only log in every other patch or so to check out the new features.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Boar It posted:

Yeah we'll see about that once the game goes persistent, but so far they've been focusing on the basics and getting in all the remaining core features at least. One thing is for sure though, the game will have plenty of interesting people in the game from day 1. There are guilds and people from MO1 with established reputations and loads of grudges that have built up over the past decade. Watching the veterans fight both in-game and in the discord is hilarious.
Everything from a megalomaniac guild leader with anger issues, to a shady guy who started his own out of game currency and bank in the first game. The latter insists that he is an honorable businessman and intends to set up a transfer system where you can move your wealth from the first game into the second one by using his currency. Community wise it is a mini EVE, for better or worse. (Probably worse)

Yeah the MO1 vets are completely out of their minds toxic. I think the politics in MO1 over the last few years just boiled down to an unbelievable amount of poo poo talking with nobody really wanting to risk their pre-patched mounts and empty nerd castles. The ego's really are way beyond any other game I've played.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Havent there actually been quite a few games like AO that are exactly not this?

I mean, I totally understand getting hyper for upcoming games even if we know the end result will be not so great. But MO2? Seriously? Things cant possibly be that bad.

If it checks all their boxes why shouldn't they?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Brass posted:

MO2 has a stress test on the 25th. You can get a key to participate here.

Yeah they just dropped a big fat release.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kopitar posted:

Mortal Online 2 was patched and actually almost feels like a game now

There is still a considerable amount of jank, but yeah it's really shaped up. Stress test is happening at 1pm est today. Will post up some starter tips if anyone else is getting in on it.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

queeb posted:

i was gonna but im 3 hours too late to the giveaways

looks like there are a bunch left here: https://massivelyop.com/2021/03/25/mortal-online-2-stress-test/#keys

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Interested in tips

Sure Thing:

• Character Creation: Character creation is in equal parts daunting and vitally important. You can gimp yourself right out of the gate, so I would recommend using this generator to plan try out builds and see how the different options effect stats https://mortaldata.com/. The only item from character creation you can't change afterwards is height which effects health and damage bonus.

Here is the mounted archer build I will probably be using for reference: https://mortaldata.com?character=3640537521491804160

• Haven: This is the starter zone. PVP is disabled so take all the time you need to level up and buy skills. I wouldn't leave until you have maxed all your stat's and bought all of your builds skills. When you do leave you get a one time bank transfer from haven so make sure you stock up on gold and materials in your bank before you take off.

• Learn How Combat Works (specifically parrying): There is way to much to type up here but this guide does a great job of explaining it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8N1KiFHKY

• Making Money: Early on it's all about butchering. Everything you kill drops a corpse, take that corpse to the butcher table in town and profit. DONT skin it with the skinning knife skill you will lose out on a lot of materials. From there you can sell the materials to any vendor. You should start at the graveyard butchering zombie corpses. After you have leveled up your skills and stats a bit try to take on some young razorbacks, their butcher mats start selling for upwards of 1.5 gold a stack. If you are an archer you can try springboks their mats sell for even more but they are total bastards to catch.

• Kill Yourself: Its a good idea at some point to bank all of your items and commit suicide. you will go into ghost mode. In ghost mode you are significantly faster, this lets you explore the area with 0 risk. you can scout out where mobs are spawning and what areas to avoid. you can also teleport right back to a priest from your character menu when you are done.

• Gather Everything: There are lots of herbs and vegetables out in the wild, some of them sell for a ton of silver. It's a great way to make a bit of extra cash.

Will add to this later, but feel free to ask anything.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 25, 2021

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Another Mortal Online 2 stress test happening tomorrow it looks like.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1170950/view/2972927185734086593

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I finally tried it today and the vibe I got was a slower moving ARPG with emphasis on big moves and combos on huge crowds, rather than just spamming every attack until both your mouse and your hand break aka Diablo. It does remind me a bit of BDO in the sense that the world is just there to put large mob groups in it to mow down. There's a "story" but BDO has a "story" too.

The biggest thing that deflected me hard were the systems. Systems everywhere, overwhelming amounts of screen real estate and menus so layered that just finding your mount is literally Alt-V. Currencies and adventure tabs and skills, skill trees, armor, adventure journals, icons everywhere referring to limited currencies and rewards, some kind of other armor that isn't really, and that's just the tabs a brand new player sees in the first 15 minutes. Far more unlocks over time.

Systems are what finally pushed me out of WOW so I'm not sure how much tolerance I have for learning all this poo poo. I'm sure I can, I'm just not sure I want to.

Game looks and plays great though. I'm probably gonna casually toy with it and if I can get enjoyment out of it while simultaneously ignoring about 90% of all these systems, it'll be fun.

This. Coming from a year and a half balls deep in bdo, and burning out on all of it's bloated features. the "system" fatigue set in almost immediately with lost ark. Lots of collectables, reptative tasks and time sink fluff all perfectly crafted to give you the illusion of progression while doing the bare minimum gameplay wise.

The combat feels pretty slick. Mashing up 20 mobs at a time feels great. The combat feels so slick that it makes you really notice how lovely the Diablo style controls feel. It's probably a personal thing, but it felt like it would have been better served with twin stick style controls.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

how would i know

By trying it?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Also Skinwalkers are cool and creepy

Just pops out of nowhere when you start digging.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I think what will happen is a bunch of people will attempt to play FFXI, but they will get stuck on the launcher software.

That's not nearly as bad as it was at launch right?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I don't get the funcom hate, unless you are just stuck at conan exiles EA launch.

Dackel posted:

So Ankama came out with the alpha of their new game called Waven https://www.waven-game.com/en/. It's basically the same turn based grid battles with a card deckbuilder mechanic (YES YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT). It has no gathering/crafting for now, it's just battles after battles and dungeons. It's kinda fun? But y'know, Ankama so we'll see.

This seems like like not at all an MMO.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Mustang posted:

I had a blast with Conan Exiles and it's games like that that have largely replaced playing MMO's for me. I just wish survival online games would ditch the pvp stuff, because pvp is never good. And the games that do pvp well only have good pvp for a brief moment in time before being poo poo just like they are in all games.

I'm completely baffled why every online game insists having pvp.

Or at least try something like faction based or something. 100% full pvp is exhausting.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

Not gonna lie I really want a good game set in the Conan universe, though not necessarily an MMO. I was really excited for AoC until I saw it just straight up had wizards you could play as.

You want Conan exiles. They just added a magic system to Conan exiles that is so low magic it's almost trolling.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

There's a karma system that is reasonably annoying if you kill someone unprovoked, so I haven't seen hardly any ganking, maybe twice over a very long period of time, but the social mores of BDO are that the stronger person gets the spot. This doesn't USUALLY cause issues, because they've made a lot of strides in balancing grind spots so that higher-difficulty zones semi-consistently give better rewards, so it's somewhat rare to encounter way stronger people at a spot. If you can way outgrind someone (i.e. you're in a PVE-focused class and start just racing them for spawns), they might just back off and let you have it if they don't like PVP themselves or don't want to deal with the karma penalty, but a lot of times they'll fight you for the spot. People will also generally offer to duel the spot first so it's rare to just get merked. If you ignore them and try to hang onto it anyway, though, they'll kill you. Getting killed by players also doesn't have massive consequences (every spot has a nearby spawn point and death penalties are lighter than wow's at lower gear levels, without the corpse run. at higher gear levels you might break some socketed gems so it's a repair bill of 5-10min of grinding unless you decked yourself out beyond your means). Lastly, every area has multiple viable rotations for grinding and you can switch servers every half hour or so if you want to roll the dice on a rotation not being camped, so a stronger player laying claim to a spot you wanted doesn't really derail your day.

This has also improved as they've added more content to the game, since the ceiling is much further away from where the average player hangs out. There are still some spots that give low-level items unavailable elsewhere that can crank up in price under certain circumstances (centaurs is a good example) so it's not unusual to find a god-king running the most valuable rotation there, but for the most part the super high level players are off on an elvia server or something and are not interested in your 180AP grind spot.

e: Also the season servers are a pretty good way to get into the game so you should check it out if you're interested in BDO. They've got Ye Olde Battlepass that will shower a new character with easily $60-$80 worth of stuff and if you play the season out to completion (i.e. max out all your junk before moving on) you can end up with a huge headstart into the game and a direction for a long while afterward.

Karma was a joke though. People would just have their guild declare war on yours and poof no more karma or consequences.

The main issue with BDO is how most of it's fun mechanics are abandoned / aren't viable at all for meaningful character progression (IE: a lot of life skills, sailing, housing etc...). Features that get the most dev hours like world bosses, arena stuff and territory control (PVP in general) are actively terrible. I quit BDO after a year of almost addict levels of playing after my first territory war battle. It's like it was developed in a vaccum with no understanding that nobody wants to play dynasty warriors if every character is lubu and its running at 5 fps in PS1 mode.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

I once had someone so upset that we declared war on them, they found my house out of town, found me sleeping in my bed, and sat there for 4 hours staring at me

he understood that some victories aren't tangible.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

gently caress riot games though. Everything they do is a watered down, boring and terminally uncreative. The only thing not watered down about riot is the workplace discrimination against women. Their anti-cheat is also malware.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I heard their new PR pvp is pretty nice!

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Cant wait pop the doors on some noobs sietch by lasgunning my duo partners sheild.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Sounds like that arc pirate game

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

next stop MAJOR CONTENT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

If monsters&memories ever releases its gonna be good