Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

i want to be raiding ice crown and not going to class again

or i want to be 12 and playing tensix (basically a battlezone mmo) all the time again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ColdIronsBound posted:

Diablo 4 as Blizzards long term successor to wow would be lovely.

blizzard is a mobile company now

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Take wow, remove all quests, remove all skills, remove all classes, remove all raids and dungeons, and now you're approaching minecraft. But... those are the things that make an mmorpg.

none of these are needed to be an mmorpg

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

So please explain your definition of an mmorpg. Saying "nope" doesn't add much. Why do you think that?

Ultimately, arguing over the meaning of a term is a semantic argument, but its worth getting on the same page.

E: Also, to go back to what started this, do you feel that ARK is an MMO or not? How about Fortnite?

massively multiplayer online roleplaying game

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PyRosflam posted:

Not as hard as you might think.

Take a game of all wolves, but require sheep activities. Allow sheep activities to be automated via NPCs with a semi advanced scripting system. (if attacked, fire back, run away, dump cargo and run etc). In addition all attacks on your sheep get reported so you can deal with whomever is attacking your sheep. You could have real time (like EvE online) or in a more open world game think of building your squad of resource movers and give them a runner, a defender, and 2 guys with backpacks. It's even reasonable that the NPCs are worth more than the goods they are moving. In the event they do not show up you know someone is attacking your stuff and about where, if your runner shows up you know where the fight is, and if you have a mage he could open a portal to the convoy and you and your guild can come running out to fight.

Now you have a game that is built around the fact that for every wolf there is 5-10 minions running around working for him and are prime targets for the wolves. I would assume that some players could ignore combat skills and become better builders or something, being able to work better then the NPCs doing the same work, but those guys would need to be members of guilds and keep out of the spot light. Still a crafting wizard could do something in combat if needed.

There was an MMO on heat.net :corsair: that had players owning little plots of land (and they could own multiple plots with no limit) with automated resource extractors. The land was open to attack 24/7, except for their capital plot, and their guild would be notified and expected to defend it. The gameplay was like Battlezone where you ran around in third person with a gun but also commanded a squad of units to attack enemy defenses and units. My favorite part was that while all plots had the same amount of resources, their distribution varied as did the terrain of the plot. Plots with most of the resources clustered were rare and valuable - even more so if they were on defensible terrain too.

It was a lot of fun, and seemed pretty popular for its time, but guilds were capped at 20 and it took a ton of time investment to not just lose everything. I would definitely play another like it if they found a way to get around the "your guild logged off for the night and lost everything" problem.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Holy poo poo, 10Six was indeed what I was referring to. I'm going to have to try this out.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

kaffo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC4waS1po6c

Oh my god this video is so early 2000's it hurts
I love it

Edit: it's the god drat wolf howls in the background omg

this is middle_school.mp4 for me and i love it so much

feller
Jul 5, 2006

and a bofa

feller
Jul 5, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

You’re replying to a broke brain who can’t enjoy xiv

you should go outside

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

Diddy Kong Racing Online

I want this.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Lost Ark is a Diablo, and is being called an MMO

It’s absolutely not a Diablo like game. It is an mmo with all the normal mmo stuff like raids and dailies and cosmetic grinds.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

diablo is a mmo with mmo stuff like dailies and cosmetic grinds

Kevin Bacon posted:

no diablo is nothing like an mmo. in an mmo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot. in diablo you choose a class and kill monsters and do quests to level up, and then you kill bosses over and over again to get better loot.

if you weirdos want to call diablo an MMO, then mroe power to you. Lost Ark is definitely an MMO though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Noise Complaint posted:

I've been putting insultingly low player bounties on edgelord PVP nerds and a very serious guild of Mandalorian roleplayers claims them every time with the full RP bounty hunter experience and it makes them angry every time.

Getting a killmail that some guy named <insert lore accurate Mandalorian name> has claimed my 1000 credit bounty on Sithlord Supremexx and knowing they did the whole, "You can come in cold, or you can come in hot" RP event thing is incredibly hilarious and makes the other guy really mad.

No other MMO can compare.

This is great