Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SRQ posted:

are you kidding me the macos take on applications being self contained is so many leagues beyond the stupidity of windows "installing" stuff that it's laughable.

I'm talking about

Step 1: click install
Step 2: it show you an arrow and text that says to drag one icon onto another icon

Just make the process step 1 only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Salt Fish posted:

I'm talking about

Step 2: it show you an arrow and text that says to drag one icon onto another icon

you know you can put the app wherever you want, right?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

I'm talking about

they have that! it’s called the app store

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DuckConference posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/4

https://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/res2015q4/cpu2006-20151102-37929.html

The apple processor has a higher score at 403.gcc (which is the most nonshit part of specint as I recall) than a midrange intel consumer processor

obviously xeon can have a lot more cores if you want to focus on that aspect, but that's mostly not relevant to laptops

i'm very impressed

you chose to compare to a dogshit midrange chip, but apple is delivering like 80% of the performance of intel's best single-core performance

in a cellphone chip, no less. which is necessarily compromised to fit into that crappy power and packaging envelope

maybe their desktop arm effort will actually be good and cool

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Salt Fish posted:

It only has 2 usb C ports so I have to haul around a backpack full of dongles defeating the point of having a laptop in the first place.
It randomly picks a monitor arrangement for my 2 monitors despite them having different hardware IDs so I have to remap them 50% of the time I plug them in
If you get a window stuck off your monitor it's a huge pain in the rear end to fix it (windows key + arrow key is infinitely better)
Using a different meta key for copy and paste compared to when you're using control combos in bash
The terminal program is extremely mediocre
Brew loving sucks

The god drat thing sounds like a helicopter taking off if you use more than 5% CPU you can hear it from 20 yards away

The whole thing is just a pile of poo poo. Like I get it if you're a fan but have the guts to admit its stockholm syndrome.

i was considering buying a windows pc when the new nvidia cards came out.

then i thought what about the apps i use. for example opening pdfs. theres nothing like preview. the options are acrobat reader (worse and might have spyware) and foxit (worse and might have spyware)

so i kept my old mac

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Whatever stock thing W10 includes by default has so far suited all my pdf needs.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm very impressed

you chose to compare to a dogshit midrange chip, but apple is delivering like 80% of the performance of intel's best single-core performance

in a cellphone chip, no less. which is necessarily compromised to fit into that crappy power and packaging envelope

that's what I was trying, badly, to say. intel's process advantage is gone and arm vendors (well, mainly apple) are eating away at their uarch advantage. windows has the huge installed base of x86 chips and huge body of existing x86 software keeping it from going to any other arch, and datacenters will look at the LOE on porting to arm and decide it's not worth it, but apple absolutely is willing to impose a new architecture on their 3rd party devs if they think it's worthwhile for apple. my take is that being able to capture the value of the chip design and keep that gross margin up up up will make that worthwhile. they just need a 50w chip good enough to beat intel on some cherry-picked benchmarks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm very impressed

power is one thing, but the packaging situation is pretty good, for one the a12 has 3x the transistors of that skylake, and for the other the memory is on-package (relieving pin-out issues), so outside of power they are not exactly constraining themselves

not to mean it isn't impressive, just that some of the ingrained ideas of mobile processors don't really hold anymore

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 4, 2018

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

poty posted:

i was considering buying a windows pc when the new nvidia cards came out.

then i thought what about the apps i use. for example opening pdfs. theres nothing like preview. the options are acrobat reader (worse and might have spyware) and foxit (worse and might have spyware)

so i kept my old mac

Chrome and Edge both read PDFs.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

my take is that being able to capture the value of the chip design and keep that gross margin up up up will make that worthwhile.

pretty sure this is the first and maybe only goal of all custom silicon efforts under uncle timmy.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

tk posted:

Chrome and Edge both read PDFs.

do they let you fill in form PDFs and save it (preview does)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: nm

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I'm talking about

why can't i doubleclick an rpm file and have it just work?

there's probably a five page technical reason for it, but it i'm certain it boils down to tldr; your os is a pos.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Laslow posted:

there's probably a five page technical reason for it, but it i'm certain it boils down to tldr; your os is a pos.

This but a video phone call in 2018

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Laslow posted:

This is what I get when I doubleclick an RPM:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

This is what I get when I doubleclick an RPM:

sweet ux design

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here is a UI challange mini-game. Take a screenshot of the OSX "detect displays" button in the Displays config menu.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Salt Fish posted:

Here is a UI challange mini-game. Take a screenshot of the OSX "detect displays" button in the Displays config menu.

if it didn't detect it when you plugged it in it sure as poo poo wouldn't detect it if it had that button

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The button exists.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ADINSX posted:

This but a video phone call in 2018

FaceTime is flawless though?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

it used to "just work" that way, but then idiots would go download random rpms from the internet and break their systems very badly

so they made it stop working, because it was a dumb idea

(why would you ever want to manually install an rpm?)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
is a 2070 good

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

what do i get

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

what do i get

you really ought to get yourself a 4k or 5k monitor

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

4k owns and it's hilarious that windows still sucks at

well everything

but in this case scaling

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im waiting for a color accurate 4k screen that isnt $1500

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SRQ posted:

4k owns and it's hilarious that windows still sucks at

well everything

but in this case scaling

it's gotten a lot better on windows.

macos still is the king though

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Sniep posted:

is a 2070 good
it's not "bad".

it's also not good enough for 4k and way overkill for 1080p so it's kind of pointless. unless you got one of those 1440p monitors, which is a bullshit half-step like having one of those 900p monitors in 2006 , which is sort of dumb in it's own way.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
what about RTX

the ray tracing poo poo

has anyone proof of concepted that yet - is there like, a demo, or something? (There's none on nvidia's own demos page)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

what about RTX

the ray tracing poo poo

has anyone proof of concepted that yet - is there like, a demo, or something? (There's none on nvidia's own demos page)

id like to see what the cost would be to do raytracing on the 10x0 series

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Sniep posted:

what about RTX

the ray tracing poo poo

i don't know if anyone sincerely cares about it. it seems like it was made for nvidia's marketing guys to pad out press releases and features on the packaging easier. it'll be in battlefield 5, but probably will hit performance harder than hairworks, but it'll make dope screenshots and maybe justify a few g-sync setups, since it'll run at like 28 fps and g-sync will be the only thing that'll make it tolerable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean they're right that a raytracer that simulates physical light transport is the highest quality lighting engine you can get, and having dedicated hardware built for it is a big step forwards

on the other hand people have been writing real-time raytracers since the commodore 64, this is just doing it with a shitload more ray bounces and at much higher resolution

i wanna know what the heck happened to Brigade -- they were on this path 5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqAanC2NZs

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i wanna get a 4k monitor but i play a lot of older games and emulators and i think stretching them to a 4k monitor would be fucky looking

maybe not though idk i havent looked into it too much

some of the games have hacks to get higher resolution, but even with that some of the engines just cant handle 4k. at least i dont have to worry about having a powerful enough video card with old games

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i wanna get a 4k monitor but i play a lot of older games and emulators and i think stretching them to a 4k monitor would be fucky looking

maybe not though idk i havent looked into it too much

some of the games have hacks to get higher resolution, but even with that some of the engines just cant handle 4k. at least i dont have to worry about having a powerful enough video card with old games

scaling works pretty well at high dpi

i wouldn’t sweat it

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

scaling works pretty well at high dpi

i wouldn’t sweat it

yeah i kinda figured it wasnt as bad as i thought it might be

some games ive had lots of trouble with even at 1440p, like recently with the original first 2 hitman games for example. and then even when they run fine at 1440p sometimes the hud doesn't scale and you end up being unable to read it

then again the first hitman game has other issues beyond running. like, for instance, it's not good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i don't have a 4k monitor, but shouldn't scaling a game to 1920x1080 be trivial on one? so if your hardware doesn't have the grunt to do your game on 4k you could just set the resolution to 1080, couldn't you? or does this introduce other problems

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd imagine that's the ideal situation, since each pixel just becomes a 2x2 group (you can literally do nearest-neighbor scaling) and 1920x1080 is quite good and sharp anyway

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 5, 2018

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't have a 4k monitor, but shouldn't scaling a game to 1920x1080 be trivial on one? so if your hardware doesn't have the grunt to do your game on 4k you could just set the resolution to 1080, couldn't you? or does this introduce other problems

i don’t know, op. hope this helps

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i don’t know, op. hope this helps

dont sign i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

i mean they're right that a raytracer that simulates physical light transport is the highest quality lighting engine you can get, and having dedicated hardware built for it is a big step forwards

on the other hand people have been writing real-time raytracers since the commodore 64, this is just doing it with a shitload more ray bounces and at much higher resolution

i wanna know what the heck happened to Brigade -- they were on this path 5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqAanC2NZs

if by much higher resolution you mean a couple of rays per pixel then I guess. lomarf

• Locked thread