Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
The line to buy a 1200$ graphics card should be between a brick wall and a firing squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Endless Mike posted:

i'm sure you could put a drive or w/e behind it no problem. you'd just be able to see it through the hole

yeah i did this for years with my old antec case. although i think i blocked the hole with duct tape from behind.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
ray tracing

RAY TRACING

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

real time pov-ray

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

pov my ray hole

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
point of view rayman

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

elite_garbage_man posted:

ray tracing

RAY TRACING

rei tracing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

does povrayman still post here

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SO DEMANDING posted:

does povrayman still post here

There are like 12 memories that I have of my life from age 0-16 and for some reason one of them is that povrayman has a tattoo of the POV-ray logo, and another is that he made fiesta cat.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he posted in the pics thread like a summer or two ago when someone posted something fiestacat-related iirc

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my computer is 6 years old and has an integrated gpu

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

poty posted:

are they good? it would be nice if nvidias website told you anything about the product theyre trying to sell you for 1200, or what a founders edition is

they are very good, and sony and microsoft are going to put the next amd that will be about as good as the 1080 in their new consoles, so in 2026 deveopers will start to make games that take advantage of this year's new cards

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
It's 2018, why aren't the Good Gaming Rigs being submerged in mineral oil yet? That was going to be a thing I thought.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

use peanut oil and fry up some delicious snacks

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

netwerk23 posted:

It's 2018, why aren't the Good Gaming Rigs being submerged in mineral oil yet? That was going to be a thing I thought.

it works really good until the oil gets warm after about an hour, and then you need to wait four hours for the oil to cool off to use it again

you could build a radiator loop for the oil, but then you might as well have a closed loop water cooler if you're already dicking around with a radiator since it's ~2.4x better at moving heat than mineral oil

pram
Jun 10, 2001

netwerk23 posted:

Good Gaming Rigs

classic

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

netwerk23 posted:

check out 3m novec, pretty cool stuff

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
apparently all the numbers/graphs on these new geforces used some new raytracing benchmark. amazingly the new cards did way way better at it than cards that weren't designed for it who knew?

the fact they didn't show normal perf numbers for normal games tells they're gonna be a pretty anaemic upgrade.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's probably because the games need to be written against DXRT, there was one game in the video, Tomb Raider something or other. The majority of the demos were in Unreal Engine. From the price points I think it's clear the gamer line of hardware is not going to be immediately hopping on the bandwagon just yet.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm sure developers will make great use of this new api just like they did with physx

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the bf5 rtx stuff looks amazing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm sure developers will make great use of this new api just like they did with physx

to think physx started out as dedicated cards, lmfao

did anyone anywhere actually buy one of those?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

gamers are idiots so yes

games look good enough, can we try making them fun instead of dumb fetch quests with twelve thousand sharing features LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE!!!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

SO DEMANDING posted:

i wish some audiophile-like market had sprung around that, with purely analog physics accelerators for a richer simulation. everything done with oscillators and inductors and capacitors to implement differential equations like those old-timey analog computers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

gamers are idiots so yes

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i remember that thing, but i don't remember if it was supposed to help with sound quality or network ping

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
gold plating makes me lean towards sound though

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I think it was like computer oscillococcinum

cures whatever ails ya by doing voodoo on the power lines

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
the a.i. is speaking in tongues again

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My graphics card throws off enough EMI to make an electric guitar about 50% noise 50% signal at maybe 6 feet away, so I wish that thing worked.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
not upgrading anything til my full fat fermi 580 inevitably goes up in flames just as charlie demerjian insisted it would back when it came out. so any day now, i’m sure.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sniep posted:

I think it was like computer oscillococcinum

cures whatever ails ya by doing voodoo on the power lines

see that's why i can't compete in the scam market. i'm all "what can i pretend this garbage is for?" while the real pros just let the customer figure that poo poo out for them

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you don't care about actually conditioning any air, you can fit a peltier in like, 1mm thickness by arbitrary area

you will note most attempts at peltier cooling PCs end in tears

i had a little usb drink cooler that was just a tiny peltier cooler, it sweated bad and it also would slowly kill USB ports back in the late 90s

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it would be suicide for any firm in a competitive market, but nvidia arguably isn't

it sure was for 3dfx :shepicide:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HIS leave me alone northbridges

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
do i parse their website correctly that you can drive four 8k monitors at 60hz with one card

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

poty posted:

do i parse their website correctly that you can drive four 8k monitors at 60hz with one card

i don't know if there are any displays that support 60hz from a single display port yet? i think they all need 2 and do 30/30 interlaced

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
still using my amd rx480

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'm going to buy this dumb new card because I haven't owned a discrete video card in like 8 years and I have a 38" ultrawide monitor

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

they look sick op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fredflonston posted:

they look sick op.

bitcoin pizza oven rigs look delicious

• Locked thread