Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Manabi Ikuru wa Fuufu no Tsutome, or the thread title, is a daily 4koma about Onijiro Otogi, a boy who had cancer, and his wife Paulina, a Russian girl who he proposed to and she accepted. Except they're still in their third year of high school. It's very cute and dumb and charming as hell. Paulina is kind of a weeb and doesn't speak Japanese very well, so the translators do their best to make her dialogue kinda awkward(similar to Carol's speech in Tomo-chan, apparently). I also really like the artstyle.

the first comic:

the current translated comic as of this post(#20):

From what I've heard, the raws are around strip 160 or so, so there's a good bit for translations to catch up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Quite amusing, and it seems to be a more realistic picture of how a gaijin with some but not great grasp of Japanese actually talks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I sense shenanigans

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

The best thing about this series is that there is no mucking about with any "will they, won't they?" shenanigans. Just a dorky couple who care about each other and like hanging out together.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's cute, but it's not particularly funny.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I get the feeling it'll really start taking off when more characters are introduced, giving less screentime to untranslateable wordplay

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's cute, but it's not particularly funny.

It doesnt have strong jokes and the characters dont have strong traits that entwine or clash which youd expect teenagers to have so I dropped it already.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Congratulations!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you and me, invictus

we'll ride this train all the way to hell

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
You have my sword.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So one half of the couple is drawn to look like a small child? That's a bit off-putting.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So one half of the couple is drawn to look like a small child? That's a bit off-putting.

Looks like the author agrees.

That last panel is my face waiting to see if he's making fun in earnest or leaning into it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Your efforts are appreciated, Captain Invictus! It's thanks to threads like this that I discovered Delusion Telepathy. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah! And I'm of the opinion mousou telepathy didn't really get good for a bit, same with tomochan, and with the early record scratch in this series I think it's got good potential for something more than gag strips. We shall see!

Edit: I don't know why the url for the comic didn't copy properly. Here it is

Omonpakaru

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 25, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My fave so far was the 3rd chapter which was three pages. Right in the feels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
not a 4koma!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sharkcano sounds fun.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Sharkcano sounds fun.

"Just when you thought it was safe to back into the lava..."

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
The translations are still a bit iffy but they've mostly stopped saying the exact opposite of what they're supposed to. That's a big improvement!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And we're back!

odds on him being an awkward goober like Haruna from Kuzumi-kun?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or Katai from Komi-san. :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yup, he's a Haruna/Katai goofy goober

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Don't take candy from strange men, Ponya

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god, a name sillier than Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu. :allears:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
BRB changing my name to Dragondragon Dragondragon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dragondragon Dragondragon is a good friend.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know why this is here but I love it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
because hamsters rule(I misclicked and didn't copy down the url for the comic and pasted the last url I had)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the fact that the first new character brought in is such a loving weirdo is a real good sign going forward

if there's one thing i wish tomo had more of it's a few more supporting cast weirdos other than the parents

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I live for Ponya's facial expressions

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this has a bad case of "technically it's translated but every sentence sounds wrong"

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Second panel should say something more like "you shouldn't be flirting with anyone except Ponya" (me) (your wife)

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I seriously feel like I'd have a better grasp on what the jokes are supposed to be if it was just written in romaji.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is... the flea market line correct?

this is really suddenly a car crash of a translation

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I'd say flea markets should be plural instead of singular, but yeah looks like it. At first I thought it was "free market" but that makes even less sense.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

so the jump to the baking picture is just clumsy comedy, then. i just got spooked about this thing going forward

the side weirdo i was waiting for... to be defeated at his hand...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, the translations are questionable at best now, hopefully someone helps them do it better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This one seems fine translation-wise. And DragonX4 is a man with a plan, and a backup plan.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Patware posted:

is... the flea market line correct?

this is really suddenly a car crash of a translation

yes but the wrong character is saying it Im pretty sure:

Panel 1:

Ponya: Ryuuji, do you have any hobbies? Ah, I know, I bet you like visiting flea markets!

Ryuuji: Where'd that come from...? Well, I suppose I do kinda like that.

Panel 2:

Ota: Haha, now it doesn't fit his look at all..

Ryuuji: Hey Ota, c'mon, don't tell her!!

Ota: But despite this guys scary lookin' mug he actually...

Panel 3:

Panel 4:

Ponya: Hmm... Honestly, after coming this far this kinda development isn't actually that surprising for his character.

Ryuuji: Can't say anyone's ever talked about me like I'm a character in a manga they're editing before.

---

Well I probably could have translated it funnier but honestly it's not that funny to begin with. That's what is supposed to be going on at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Cake is Good(er at translating than the person in Boredom Society)