Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

LLSix posted:

Edit Edit: oh thank goodness, it's only like 2 silver from the lighthouse to buy all 4. Why'd I spend 5 sp on this fancy fishing rod?

For two things.
1. It's a pretty decent silver generator that's better than any other 'sell to merchant' option because of the variety of fish plus the various qualities for a good number of them. The price won't be as depressed for a full stamina haul.
2. Achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Where is this drat hunchback? I’ve gone to the forest he’s supposed to be in three nights in a row and he’s nowhere to be found.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Approach the fort's entrance in the first half of the night then head directly left. I had a hell of a time finding him too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just got my town pass and tried to visit the Town. That 100% feels like cut content. From what people were saying it sounded like a joke, but I get why people are salty about it now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's also the barrier in the swamp just north of your house that has the icon to interact with it but nothing happens. Aaaand the fort that''s completely sprited and used exactly once. Aaaaaaaaaand the upper floor of the inn that's fully detailed with a warning about needing a certain amount of relationship points with the innkeeper. There is only one reason to go up there and it's not because the innkeeper or his wife disappear!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the goddamn captain in the inn who is on the NPC list but says one thing and does NOTHING else.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I get the complaints but if you read the dev diaries they very clearly outlined the areas of the game and the town is not one of them. It's not even mentioned or hinted at, nor any town only npcs or concepts. It is really clear that the town was never going to be in the game. Even if there was content cut the game is long enough as it is, there's an almost overwhelming amount to do. You get more gameplay than most $60 AAA games for a third of the price, so it just doesn't bug me at all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

LLSix posted:

Just got my town pass and tried to visit the Town. That 100% feels like cut content. From what people were saying it sounded like a joke, but I get why people are salty about it now.
You're going to love the ending.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gadzuko posted:

I get the complaints but if you read the dev diaries they very clearly outlined the areas of the game and the town is not one of them. It's not even mentioned or hinted at, nor any town only npcs or concepts. It is really clear that the town was never going to be in the game. Even if there was content cut the game is long enough as it is, there's an almost overwhelming amount to do. You get more gameplay than most $60 AAA games for a third of the price, so it just doesn't bug me at all.

I mean yes, they have the right to cut content, but it is weird how they left in all the threads and didn't bother to change them at all. Remember that 90% of the people who play the game will have no concept of the development diaries, the devs should have just removed the loose strings.

The game is definitely front loaded to hell and after you get to the long stretch of the game the empty patches start showing more and more.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It doesn't really show intent because a lot of it feels accidentally but there is a huge feeling of being in some clockwork Catch 22 thing where everything is set up for your benefit but in the most frustrating way possible. The Town Pass follows along with that where you get your magic item shopping list and are helpfully murdered on the way to town because you wouldn't be able to actually find those things in the Town because you are the Keeper and you get stuff by shoving random Keeper items into an NPCs dialog tree.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I’m still enjoying the game but I think the main thing the endgame is missing is some sort of automation progression. Let me unlock the donkey shipping vegetable crates for me. Figure something out so I don’t have to cut down 8 trees every five real time minutes for wood.

That and just put in a simple QOL: some crafting is stackable and some isn’t. Make it all stackable, it’s really obnoxious to flip though so many menus sometimes especially for gold items. Al I have in my inventory is gold onions why isn’t that the default? Why do I have to click click every single time I want to make 4 burgers?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Don't even get me started about making dinner

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I do think the teleportation is a crappy solution to the travel issue. Someone mention that early access have running, but was removed. The game cover have you riding the donkey, which I imagine works like horse in harvest moon to speed you up.

Or make donkey the paid teleport/taxi service would have been infinitely better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HenryEx posted:

Don't even get me started about making dinner
It doesn't come up as useful in any other crafting recipe because it's usually just one ingredient as an option so max 2 clicks to select gold. But you can click the icon instead of the up/down arrows and you can select from inventories what ingredient you want for the slot and that is basically what kept me from rage quitting when making 5 gold dinners.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

It took me over 20 hours to realize you can queue up some cooking tasks. You can tell the oven to cook multiple beet slices for example by pushing left. Naturally, this wasn't extended to any of the things you actually want in bulk, like lentil soup or other buff foods.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

If they just did some minor QOL tweaks like what’s being suggested in this thread and put out an update, they could really turn their review rating around I think. Despite these frustrations I still find the gameplay compelling and relaxing and I don’t know why I am bothering to upgrade my cathedral or graveyard when I just need to grind wine to get the 12g... but I’m still doing it because I think it’s cool.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wine is good for a seed fund but is too susceptible to market flooding imo. You should graduate to silver bars and fish (can still be flooded but not as easily as wine) to spend energy to tick forward the non floodable but calendar limited money sources of preaching and veggie crates.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I took the time to kick 10 crates of puckins down the road once. Never again.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I took the time to kick 10 crates of puckins down the road once. Never again.

Pro tip for managing large items: you keep carrying stuff when you teleport. You can take a crate with you every time you port to town, it's not much but it adds up. Also works for slowly removing logs from the cabin in the woods.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its more screen transitions but lets you do the eastward travel with a wall as a guide if you take the basement tunnel.

10 a week is going to be a drag no matter how you do it so for sanity I just do like 4 or 5. Wine just becomes so thankless so quickly because it noticeably floods with just one stack and the vineyard isn't exactly located in a nice place to check on while you are tooling on your graveyard.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Gadzuko posted:

Pro tip for managing large items: you keep carrying stuff when you teleport. You can take a crate with you every time you port to town, it's not much but it adds up. Also works for slowly removing logs from the cabin in the woods.

I've ended up building workbenches out there to do the processing before I teleport back. Still don't have a good method for getting stone though.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Fame doesn’t seem to increase Trade Office payout soooo what is the point of that?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I've got the Inquisitor at 75 and have now done 3 burnings in a row with burgers and beer. When does he progress to the Dark Organ portion of his questline? Is there something else I need to do?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've got the Inquisitor at 75 and have now done 3 burnings in a row with burgers and beer. When does he progress to the Dark Organ portion of his questline? Is there something else I need to do?

Go to the inn. Yeah, there's literally nothing telling you to do that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I believe it'll trigger next week.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
About the dark organ quest you don't have to do it to get the ending.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You have to start it though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

jerman999 posted:

I've ended up building workbenches out there to do the processing before I teleport back. Still don't have a good method for getting stone though.

1. Teleport to Quarry
2. Make Stone until out of energy
3. Sleep in the bed in the ruined cabin
4. Teleport home
5. Have stone

I usually bookend it by burning bodies since that's a reliable 10s a week if you do it every day.

It only takes a minimal amount of setup to build a stone cutter and stone pile there.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

About the dark organ quest you don't have to do it to get the ending.

I'm weird but I'm more about trying to get as much of the game done, rather than beeline for the ending.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Well that was an ending.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

EXPANSION:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/599140/announcements/detail/1700565796606380032

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Free expansion that adds automation.

Including shipping produce to town to sell.

Huh.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

They actually made the game less of a painful grind?! Unexpected but I’ll allow it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The real question is how hard it is to get the automation started.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Knowing these devs, you unlock it about an hour before you beat the game.

Driya
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still figuring out the new stuff, but so far reanimation is pretty cheap and easy. Slap 10 faith and an easy to make potion on a corpse and you're good to go.

It looks like there's ways to upgrade the efficiency of your undead minions, but I'm still working that part out. Seems like a standard lovely corpse I used runs at 10% efficiency, and a 12 skull corpse is at 30%.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Zereth posted:

The real question is how hard it is to get the automation started.

Zombie juice and 10 faith. Zombie juice is also fairly cheap but you do need to get underneath the church and build the related alchemy structures before you can start. Soooo..transitioning from early to mid game? And highest rate is about 30% of your own speed, worst is ~2%.

Still doesn't deal with the dire late game grind all that well.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What about the Garden of Stone that let you skip time? It seem like a good way to skip to payday since my church earn a gold each session.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sage Grimm posted:

Zombie juice and 10 faith. Zombie juice is also fairly cheap but you do need to get underneath the church and build the related alchemy structures before you can start. Soooo..transitioning from early to mid game? And highest rate is about 30% of your own speed, worst is ~2%.

Still doesn't deal with the dire late game grind all that well.

I'm playing around with them on a save where I'm pretty late game and they are nice. Some quick notes:

Porters more or less don't matter when it comes to quality - you can get away with a really lovely corpse for these guys.

A high quality woodcutter will basically keep you in logs permanently. You more or less won't have to go cut wood on your own once the sawmill is up and running. Veggies are also super convenient since you just need to use the fertilizer once and provide the appropriate level seeds rather than use fertilizer every harvest. Tearing out the old fields is a pain in the rear end though. The mining also seems to work decently well; even though the quarry is super far away, you can get 3 porters to run the slabs back and forth, and the miners will alternate mining coal and iron, so you get a decent amount of iron showing up as well. The automated crate manufacturing seems to be a bit bugged, but the automated crate moving is great, and you can manually operate the crates 1-2 times a week to make enough crates to keep the merchant going with a minimum of effort. The crane that lowers the crates underground to the porter area is amazing and probably one of the best changes this update brought.

They added the ability to add organs back into a corpse. This means that you can swap out lovely organs (ones with lots of red and few white) for organs with +2 white skulls on them! It's very useful when manufacturing high quality corpses. In addition to that, you can swap out the organs of your zombies, and even embalm them after creation, so you don't have to worry about not being able to min-max them when they're first created. Feel free to make them kind of crappy in the early-ish game and then as you identify good organs (pay attention to what happens to the skulls upon removal), swap in the good ones. Red skulls appear to have no detrimental effects on a zombie, so you can use organs that would ordinarily be underwhelming due to having red skulls on them. Oddly, you can stuff a second set of dark organs in, and those each have one white skull on them, so they can help to get the final skull in on a zombie.

There appears to be no effect for going over 12 white skulls on a zombie, so don't worry about getting more than that.

That all being said, I'd have to start a new game to really feel the impact of the changes. I think the game could use more sources of zombies in the early game, and that it would be helpful if the zombie juice required the faith to make so that the game could give you prepackaged zombie manufacturing early on. As it is, it's hard to get 10 faith in the early game, and part of the pacing involves using that faith to get blue points, so diverting that for automation seems like it might be counterproductive. On the other hand, a constant influx of iron, wood, or veggies is really nice, and it's not particularly difficult to beef up your undead minions over time as you unlock new autopsy and embalming technologies.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is good, picked it up on sale because I was interested in it before but this expansion sounds neat. I see a lot of complaints about the energy mechanic in this game but I'm the kind of masochist who played Punch Club to it's completion so maybe this doesn't bother me as much as most. I do appreciate how unlike Stardew you can seemingly stay up as long as you want if you have enough food to extend your energy bar, like it doesn't force you to go to sleep at a certain point.

I'm still fairly early on but did have a revelation last night as I was trying to find out just how the gently caress I get to the point where I can make my own nails when I realized there were MULTIPLE TABS in the research menu. The whole time I had been on the woodworking screen and assumed that was the whole tech tree.. Fortunately once I realized this I had a bunch of red/green stuff saved up so I could research just about everything that didn't require blue stuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You can also skip tech by buying the mat from npc instead and focus on making money. Doing everything yourself saves a lot of money, but also takes a crap ton of time, which is fine when you realize there’s no real time sensitive pressure.