Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Steam posted:

Graveyard Keeper is the most inaccurate medieval cemetery management sim of all time. Build and manage your own graveyard, and expand into other ventures, while finding shortcuts to cut costs. Use all the resources you can find. After all, this is a game about the spirit of capitalism, and doing whatever it takes to build a thriving business. And it’s also a love story.

-Face ethical dilemmas. Do you really want to spend money on that proper burger meat for the witch-burning festival, when you have so many resources lying around?
-Gather valuable materials and craft new items. Expand your Graveyard into a thriving business. Help yourself -- gather the valuable resources scattered across the surrounding areas, and explore what this land has to offer.
-Quests and corpses. These dead bodies don't need all those organs, do they? Why not grind them up and sell them to the local butcher? Or you can go on proper quests, you roleplayer.
-Explore mysterious dungeons. No medieval game would be complete without those! Take a trip into the unknown, and find discover new alchemy ingredients -- which may or may not poison a whole bunch of nearby villagers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5S5rlKf_M

Where can I buy it?
Available now for $20 on Steam.
Official Webpage

How do I play this game?
Link to the wiki; as the game is newer, some info is probably wrong or missing.
https://reddit.com/r/graveyardkeeper Someone might find this useful I dunno.
Steam...forum?
Official Discord

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So the most important thing to know about Graveyard Keeper is that a lot of content is locked behind completing the NPC quests, and that almost every NPC quest is connected. For example, to get access to the dungeon, you need to be friends with Snake, but for that you need to learn about him from Ms Charm. Talking to Ms Charm requires five Faith, which you get from the Chapel, which doesn't open until you finish the Priest's quest of improving the graveyard. Once you get access to the chapel, you get access to the basement which is also required to complete one of the Astrologer's quest in which you research a key, and giving that key to Snake unlocks the dungeon. It's All Connected. So basically, at any point if you find yourself wondering what to do next, look at the quests you have and start trying to complete them.

One mean trick the game will play on you is that at the beginning, the Donkey brings an unlimited supply of corpses to you for free for the purposes of finishing the "Make the Graveyard Nice" quest. However, once you finish this quest, the Donkey will demand ten carrots per corpse. I would recommend you research Hardspares, Softspares, and Important Parts before finishing this quest and having one of each. Later on, you'll unlock the ability to Study items, and most of these parts give you blue points. Getting the point boosts from these items is huge and will rocket you forward in terms of game progress.

However, don't go too crazy with burying bodies. Harvesting every single part from a body will cause the quality to disappear, and each corpse will only improve the quality of your graveyard by the number of white skulls displayed on the autopsy screen, but it's not uncommon to have zero white skulls after a full autopsy. That's where cremation comes in, which allows you to burn corpses and totally bypass the quality loss. This allows you to use every part of the buffalo, then burn the corpse and put the remains into a ceremonial urn. Combine 12 of these urns for a mausoleum which gives 12 quality. Way way way later in the game, you'll get the ability to embalm corpses to freely manipulate the number of white/red skulls on a corpse so you can minmax your graveyard quality.

By now you should have tons of Red/Green research points to spend. Make a beeline for tools, because making the next tier of tools make the associated actions twice as efficient. Also take Advanced Forging, you'll need Complex Parts to make tons of early-mid tier buildings. In the Building tree, rush Mining. Firewood and Stoneworking are next. Woodworking and the Circular saw are a little but off but will give you access to some great shortcuts. Namely, as soon as is reasonable, go to your home basement and remove the barrier there. It will give you access to a grate you can't open yet, but also if you walk to the right there's a shortcut to the Village that cuts your travel time by half. The other very very important thing to do as soon as possible is to fix the landslide that is on the hill to the north of your home. This area will give you access to the Quarry, which is an unlimited source of iron, stone, and marble. There's also a bed at the quarry, and a place to build tools, so you can do all your work right on-site and not need to travel back and forth. The last thing up in the quarry is Coal, which is the most efficient fuel source.

In the Farming tree, Improvement and Decay are mandatory. Transplanting, Grape Farming, and Wine Making are the next most important things on the list. It's a good idea to start growing carrots as soon as is reasonable so you can get more corpses. All sorts of seeds are sold by the Farmer, who is found by going south in the middle of the wheat field. In theology, the only important one early on is Cremation. Almost everything else involves improving the Chapel, but for that we need to open it.

Once you open the Chapel by getting five skulls on your Graveyard meter, you can hold weekly mass to gain donations, which is a nice bonus to you cash. The amount of money you get is determined by the quality of your graveyard, so if you don't mind not getting those sweet sweet organs, you can bury high-quality corpses early on. If this is your goal, build more pews, because more seats equals more people. However, the game will pull a second mean trick by telling you the way to upgrade the church with a Building Permit, which costs 20 silver. After buying it, the Pastor tells you you cant deliver any more sermons until you are a Rightful Citizen, and becoming one costs one gold. 1 gold piece is 100 silver pieces. I currently have 70 silver pieces on day 200.

So, how are you going to get that cash? Wine. The process is this: four grape seeds are needed for a single grape vine, which yields five grapes. Ten grapes equals one bucket of grape juice, and two buckets of grape juice equal a batch of wine, which contains TWENTY bottles of wine, which you can sell to the tavernkeep for 23~ silver. To get access to the Vineyard, you need to finish the first quest from the Inquisitor, which requires Flyers, and therefor Paper.

Paper requires access to the Chapel by completing the very first Graveyard quest from the Pastor. After that, he will give you a second quest, and your reward is your first bit of Blue research points. Blue research points are going to be your bottleneck for the whole game, so it's important to spend them wisely, because it's hard to get ahold of them. However, if you did what I mentioned earlier, you should have a lot to pass around. Your first stop on the tech tree should be Inventing Stories, Writing, Papercrafting, and Writing Supplies. Not only does this allow you to finish the Inquisitor quest, but is going to be the cycle you need to follow for more tech points. You can't Study paper at the table - instead, you feed it to the table to get more science points to perform research with. With this, you now have an unlimited supply of Science and Faith points to get the blue points from any items you have. On top of that, the process of actually making books is a good source of Blue in and of itself.

The last thing I have is the most effective ways to get tech points. Studying items is always going to be the best answer, but it can be resource intensive. So, it's nice to have some cheaper options. Once you unlock Clay, digging up clay can be done for as long as you have stamina, and gives one Green point each time. I'll sometimes do this for quick points and then just destroy the clay in my inventory if I don't need any. For red, chopping down trees and converting them into Flitch, then manually converting the Flitch into Wooden Planks is a solid number of points while also getting you useful resources you can use later. For Blue, just do what I mentioned above. Bookmaking and resource are realistically your only choices.

From here, this is basically all The Good Stuff I can think of. You should be able to figure your way through things from there, just research things as you need them to complete quests or when tech trees tie together. I'd recommend having the wiki open so you can see what you're about to unlock before actually doing it. For example, in order to build an Alchemy Table 2, required to make alchemy items that use three ingredients, you need to have access to Jointing, so if you haven't gotten that far in the carpentry tech tree you just wasted your points.

This space will possibly be filled out with more info. For now, just ask a question!

https://i.imgur.com/RJDBzqG.gifv

If you want me to add something, pester me in a PM or post here or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I started a new game; now that I know there is no time limit at all, I'm taking my time just doing whatever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a way to make the game run in the background? Sometimes I want a full night's rest without just staring at the screen.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Also, unless a patch changed it, multiple teleport stones still share a cooldown. I noticed Horadric had a second one so I bought it, thinking I could use both independently.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the best way to get money before you have access to the Trader's License, which lets you do the Inquisitor's quest to unlock the vineyard? I've been selling coal to the blacksmith but I keep running him out of money.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You should be able to access the Vineyard right now, the only Inquisitor quest you need to have done is giving him the firewood and flyers.

Huh, so you can. You just need the quest to unlock the blueprint table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Taking the fishing mini game directly from Stardew is fine because I like it; making it shittier by giving you half a second to start the game is bad.