Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Good game but be prepared to use the wiki a ton, or keep a pad of paper nearby to write everything down because the game doesn't save discovered recipies and character information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

The only thing I've found it not saving is stuff like what ingredients things decay into. The NPC panel is not particularly good because while it will tell you helpful things like "Wants Silver-Star Fish Fillet" it won't tell you more important things like they actually want 4 of them, or that they are the only source of Silk Cloth.

I've only really gone to the wiki for alchemy because it's boring guesswork that overwhelmingly produces trash from decent items.

Yeah I should clarify that I more mean it that villagers only say things one time so unless you immediately rush off to make it the recipes won't get saved, versus normal games where they would instantly slot in. Comes into play for quests too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What is the strongest source of blue xp once you get past the "research the body parts" stage? Just pumping out notes and high end gravestones?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tellaris posted:

Amusingly, midlevel graves are the best. Polished stone graves give like 3-4 blues each, while marble ones give 0. Probably an oversight if I had to guess.

Yeah, I would assume it is a bug, same thing for bones having no effect when extracted.

Unrelated i cannot wait to get a decent cash flow going because burning hollowed out sinners is more profitable but chucking their organless shells into the river is hilarious.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man I have been dutifully avoiding a wiki because games like this are fun to discover on your own, but the recipe for black paint (oh my god I just needed one tech I could have had hours ago) weakened me. As well it seems like I’m going to use it for alchemy after already making a stack of goo and having stumbled into a sum total of no successful products besides the black paint recipe I looked up.

Yeah puzzling out alchemy is a total waste of time. It doesn't help that they are so specific either. So I can mix graphite and water to get black paint, but if I am using ashes then I have to buy seed oil from the stoner on the other side of town?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I repaired the morgue chute and was very confused why it didn't work or did anything, until i repaired the other hatch, too.

Now the bodies get dropped right in the morgue, where they decay slower, but my question is: if i build a pallet right under the hatch, will the bodies automatically land on the pallet and not decay at all?

edit: also when does this donkey even show up, i'm at day like 19 and he's appeared thrice as far as i can tell, completely random.

According to the recent patch notes he comes every day except for weekends and will automatically drop off a body as long as he has carrots to take. Anecdotally he will drop off the body at the midpoint of sundown, indicated by a bell ringing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man the in game economy is truly hosed. Spend a large amount of time chasing down a stamp so you can make meat packages? 50 cooper each. Plant a bunch of grapes? 20-50 silver per wine selling load.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

Liking this so far just working on fixing up everything in the church. It doesn’t feel so much like stardew valley though.Money doesn’t seem like the goal it’s more about advancing quests.

The one thing I wish this game had was more character customization. I want to look like an undertaker.

Yeah making cash is primarily for buying items you don't want to chase down and craft yourself

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dark Hearts that you can theoretically pull out of corpses are super valuable to break down but other than that its pretty much a wash.

Xaris posted:

Did I gently caress up by buying Cabbage, Carrot, etc seeds for the Merchant instead of just buying Carrots/Cabbage/etc? I apparently can't make a Garden Bed without having the deed to the garden first right?

Another note us that seeds are moderately reusable (you have a net loss of seeds if you dont use Boost fertilizer) so it is cheaper to buy seeds long term.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Since I didn't realize this, protip: the quality percentage mark that you get when making items is the chance that you will get that tier of item, you don't have to get it to 100%

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skin is super useful for making paper as well, except if you really farm bats.

Meat is good and all but honestly planting some apple and berry trees and harvesting green slimes to make jellies is very sustainable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Does stuff like throwing the body in the river or selling longpork to people come back to haunt you? Can I concievably keep that first corpse that you get asked to throw away in the graveyard until I research cremation and dispose of it that way?

I don't think so, but I wish it did. After X number of bodies the river starts to get dammed up from the sheer number of corpses.

Actually I think that the skull says that the river flows to The Town so maybe a strongly worded letter about not filling up their harbor with sinner corpses

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

wait i need how much loving red tp for circular saws??? :suicide:

Just research tools and stuff any they will absolutely flood you with red points.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

oh, good idea, i'll do that once i've got more... uh, study stuff? the stuff you need besides faith. haven't worked out getting more of that yet after old books are exhausted, guess I gotta make new ones.

The science points? The easiest thing to do is to use human skin to make a bunch of paper, then just study that paper to get science. You can get a ton of paper out of just one skin.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Quarry teleport is a blessed tool

E. How long does it take for the stuff you sell to merchants to be then sold off? I crashed the wine market and now I can't get a good price for poo poo.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 28, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nyaa posted:

I think there is a small market stock adjustment everyday. Overstock get reduced and under stock get increased until individuals’ base amount is reached.

Edit: i would suggest you keep your wine in a chest and work on selling/working on other stuff during the market recovery period.

Yeah I have been stockpiling it, I actually just stopped picking grapes because it wasn't worth the effort. It takes a looong time to adjust.

Fat Samurai posted:

After six hours of play, I decided to check the wiki to see how to do the Inquisitor first quest. Apparently I need three new crafting stations to make ink. There is a lot of game here :allears:

Also, I’ve discovered I’m enjoying the game more if I set a goal and work towards it exclusively for a bit instead of trying to do a bit of everything. You can really make progress that way.

The total lack of urgency makes for a weird game in this sense. There is no hunger, no month-based calendar, no seasons, no nothing. Anything you miss can be grabbed 20 minutes later when the week rolls around again. Even church is not mandatory, after a bit you are rolling in so much faith that it is a moot point except for the donations.

So you end up with a game where you can spend an entire week just making gravestones and it does not affect you at all. No missed opportunities makes for a true sandbox experience, for better or for worse.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 28, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

How does one unlock Alchemy? I'm killing time until I can just go buy ink at present because I'm completely stuffed by its lack atm.

Go west past the graveyard until you hit a bridge, then rebuild it. This will open a path to a swamp, which is a god-awful design choice that is basically a gigantic spiral with invisible walls. Follow the large, broad path around in circles a few times until you get to the center, where you will find a witch. Talk to her and you will unlock alchemy.

It is honestly the worst design flaw in the game and I hate it, so I didnt spoil text that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The way it's handled is pretty frustrating, in a black comedy kind of way - I was actually excited to see the Town, but nope lightning bolt. Screw you.

Wish I knew this before I spent the cash on it. Oh well.

I do think that it would have been to the game's detriment to include the Town, since half the people in the village treat it with such undisguised scorn and you are constant loving with them by sending bodies down the river. It's better to keep it as a mysterious hive of the bourgeoisie rather than as a place you can go.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vasler posted:

What are you guys doing to make your church better? I'm at about 22 church points but haven't invested in candles or incense because both seem like a huge pain in the rear end.

I went ahead and managed to make myself a gold star combo prayer. What I didn't realise is that it requires 60 church points to reach 100% success.

Yeah you aren't going to be getting that at this point. I would recommend holding off on the gold star until you fully upgrade to the cathedral. For using the silver one you can stock up with all soft benches plus all the candle holders you can fit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

graventy posted:

Plot or direction-wise, it isn't a good game. I don't really have many concrete goals now that aren't "buy a license for this or that". But I don't really care I'm enjoying spending days harvesting wood to keep the crematorium burning and making far too much wine and harvesting a pretty random selection of crops. It's fun!

It is basically what you would get if you mixed the mechanics of Stardew Valley and the weirdly satisfying tedium of 20 hours of Farming Simulator together. No direction or clear goals, just keep buying more expensive stuff until either you die or your hard drive does.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Basically this

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Just buy the fish fillets from the fisherman, catching them isn't worth the effort.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

I get the complaints but if you read the dev diaries they very clearly outlined the areas of the game and the town is not one of them. It's not even mentioned or hinted at, nor any town only npcs or concepts. It is really clear that the town was never going to be in the game. Even if there was content cut the game is long enough as it is, there's an almost overwhelming amount to do. You get more gameplay than most $60 AAA games for a third of the price, so it just doesn't bug me at all.

I mean yes, they have the right to cut content, but it is weird how they left in all the threads and didn't bother to change them at all. Remember that 90% of the people who play the game will have no concept of the development diaries, the devs should have just removed the loose strings.

The game is definitely front loaded to hell and after you get to the long stretch of the game the empty patches start showing more and more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys maintain seeds while farming? It seems like no matter what quality fertilizer I use, I lose seeds in the end. I wanna set up zombie farms for wheat and onions, but I'm worried about having to continually buy more seeds.

Unless they changed it you should be gaining seeds when you use quality fertilizer. However they will not all be of the same quality, some will be higher. Are you counting those too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Ghost Writer and have your zombies write books. Or if you haven't unlocked that Glass->flasks->advanced flasks I started this game before the zombies were around and have five Furnace II's set up constantly refining sand to glass and up the chain. The posters upthread say Ghost Writer is WAY faster than the glass method.

You can also just buy blue point books from the astrologer every week, which is I think 75 blues for 25 silver?

Related to zombies, what am I supposed to be adding to them to improve? Embalming helps but does adding more organs help too?