Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Game sounds like a fun way to spend time while I'm laid up in surgery recovery. Can I assume it has an "end" somewhere or can you just keep on graveyarding?

Besides the stuff in the OP is anything else about the game not very obvious? Seemed to be causing a lot of questions in the Steam thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

The early and mid games are fun, but the late game gets really bad when so many of the quests turn into “Give me this thing you have at home but don’t have time to run back and grab!” then wait a week for “Thank you for thing, now wait a week for the next step!” then loving repeat

Words to the wise:

* If you care about the plot, you will end up doing everything. You will end up working with everyone. If you want to make choices about what you do in game, you’re playing the wrong game.

* There is some flexibility, though, in that most items you’re asked for can be bought. So, for example, if you don’t like fishing, you can buy 12 frogs from the witch instead of figuring all that poo poo out. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, being rich is as good as doing work.

* Alchemy is important to everything. Use the loving wiki to discover recipes, because otherwise it’s the stupidest waste of everything. If you want to keep the wonder of discovery, just look up what essences and powders you need, not what makes those essences and powders.

* Buy a loving teleport stone ASAP. The game does not give you any info about it, and given whetstones and everything else, I assumed it was consumable or wore away. It does not: it is a straight up free zap to your house or the tavern once per day. But it if only because gently caress figuring your way out of the swamp.

I’m now in a position where I’m just waiting for the NPCs to give me the next stage in their quests so I can move on, but at least it’s giving me time to finish up the graveyard. I’m up to 763 crosses, and I’m trying to figure out how to get to 800 (what the Bishop originally gives as a goal for the Cathedral) without it being a complete grind.

Thanks for these, that first bullet point especially has affirmed that this game might be really interesting to me. Gonna buy it and give it the old look after some more Monhun tonight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Still haven't sat down and actually played this yet (stupid MHW) but the pace of action/animation looks pretty slow from the trailer. That about right? The kind of game I'll want youtube/podcasting for?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there anything wrong with just sleeping rather than ever eating to restore energy? The passage of time doesn't seem to matter a whole hell of a lot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yay. Now that I understand the flow of the game (and the fact that the gamepad controls are way better, whoof) this is getting really amazingly compelling to play. :)

(edit) Only just now able to get the graveyard to 5 quality total, I've got most everything that doesn't require blue, so... onward!!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 26, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't seem to locate the Quarry mentioned in the OP. I cleared the landslide leading to the "Forest near river" on the map, is that the wrong one?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got it, thanks, hadn't thought to check either bridge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Questions-

- Donkey is just sitting there waiting for me to either give him Wine or for him to leave, even though I've put 10 carrots in the box and seen his dialogue. Did I trigger a bug? I think I can work around it and finagle my way to some wine, if that'll get him delivering the dead again, but sheesh
- What should I be doing with all these unstacking intestines and hearts and brains after I've studied one of each? What about the other stuff like blood and bone and fat?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aight thanks. I'll head out there. I need more qualityyyyy

New question, what's the fastest way to get a single wood beam? this barricade in the basement is driving me fuckin bonker

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Do you like survival games but wish there was no survival aspect to them?

i never quite realized this was what i wanted from video games put in so succinct a way

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait i need how much loving red tp for circular saws??? :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh, good idea, i'll do that once i've got more... uh, study stuff? the stuff you need besides faith. haven't worked out getting more of that yet after old books are exhausted, guess I gotta make new ones.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LewdMonocle posted:

Played this all weekend and now I wonder if I have some mild form of autism.

you play video games mate, we're probably all on the spectrum somewhere

gently caress yeah quarry teleporrry

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How DO you set things to the dpad, anyway? Like equipping the danged teleportstone would save me a lot of time.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 28, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So NOT the teleportstone. Dang.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How does one unlock Alchemy? I'm killing time until I can just go buy ink at present because I'm completely stuffed by its lack atm.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, got it unlocked. Got all the underground except, presumably, the Dungeon unblocked, too, so I'm chuffed to bits as far as getting around. I'll delve into more Alchemy later.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Xaris posted:

gently caress wish I knew that earlier, I just spent 3 gold bars making my Damask with Gem, and another one for some jewelry :(

Oh well

I wonder how long it takes to actually beat this drat game. I'm like 13 hours in and at less than 30 rep with nearly everyone--and given what the nature of the main story seems to be that's probably a sure sign I'm not very close :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HenryEx posted:

You are just aallllways busy, there's so much stuff to do and in the pursuit of x you tend to lose sight of y until you suddenly remember and go full steam in some other direction.

Like, a character asks you for some gold-star burgers. Alright, time to cook!
Except you need gold-star onions for that. Okay whatever, time to grow some onions first. The farmer only sells you silver-star seeds though, so you need to make your own boost-fertilizer to get it up to gold rating.
BUT for that, you need a high-grade alchemy table! Which needs some complicated woodwork, so you need to upgrade your carpenter's bench first, and that means getting some more wood precessed. You also need advanced flasks, which means you need a furnace to make you some glass first, for which you need ash so you gotta first do your actual job as a graveyard keeper and autopsy/incinerate some corpses. Which is good, because the ACTUAL recipe for the fertilizer also requires even more ash, and other alchemic solutions for which you'll probably have to go out and collect some flowers or mushrooms for. Eventually.
But first, you need to grow and harvest something else, and compost the harvesting waste to get some peat as a base for your effective fertilizer! You might as well grow some wheat, since you'll need to eventually bake some buns for the burgers. Remember the burgers???
You then notice that you can't actually make the advanced flasks or your new carpenter's work bench yet, because you still need blue skill points to learn the technology first. Where to get blue skill points? Not easy... Mostly through doing your actual job, and interring people (instead of incinerating them like you did before, so more work), or more precisely, carving grave decorations for them. Time to visit the quarry to get some materials for gravestones?
Oh what, you don't know the quarry? Just take a week off and explore, find it, and then build a camp with important workstations on site, then come back to what you were doing.

Uh, what was that again?

Eyes on the prize, Henry, eyes on the prize

burgers