Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Seattle, for a not for profit. I wander the waterfront attempting to prevent historical scale disasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I also am straddler. Grew up in a retirement trailer park in Florida. My salary now puts me solidly in the professional class and I got there by access to a good education at an Academy. I could make quite a lot more independently.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If you're that desperate consider commercial sailing. It's awful to sail, but it's not prohibitively hard to get a unlicensed book.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

The part of your labor product you aren't paid is the rent you pay to the rest of your organization to help keep it operational, and for allowing you to use it to make money.

There is another flow outta that. The most important flow.

The part of your labor you aren't paid is the shareholders. They're very often perfectly happy to allow the organization to cease to be operational if they get paid more.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

And while I'm sure in some circumstances you can find investors who would rather eat the goose than wait for eggs, that is definitely not the norm.

No since the transition from stakeholder to shareholder it's not just the norm but the fiduciary duty.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's also why buybacks (to raise share price) and dividends happened instead of raised wages with the tax cut.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

I'm not following this. Could you please explain what you mean?

There are private equity firms and they've been around since the eighties that valuate companies to basically determine if the company's shares are worth more or less than the liquidated company. If that's the case they proceed in a couple of ways:
They might buy and liquidate the company. Eg. Larry the Liquidator style.
They might borrow against the company they are purchasing to extract money from it and then burden it with debt to fail at a later time after its been sold. Eg. The Mitt Romney
They might pressure the business to raise the share price (by buybacks and dividends) at the expense of operations and employees.

More over the current understanding of fiduciary duty to the shareholders is that this is thier fiduciary duty to do these things.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My wife was staring that down after her masters. It blows.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but in Florida, the Vo-tech school there had a thing with the local high schools were you could take a class or two there, which allowed them to take stuff like HVAC, welding, electrician courses, etc,which I thought was pretty neat.

In many Florida counties they've chased of the people who pushed for those programs and / or wrote the grants for them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Not for profits have to have a mission. They can also make alot of money and operate like a business. But they have to do something with the money, in service of the mission or to pay the employees. The one I work for redistributes the profit at the end of the year as a bonus (after it over funds the pension) to the employees. It's pretty great.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

President is a literal baby, so what?

quote:
Trump was editing an upcoming speech with [then-staff secretary Rob] Porter. Scribbling his thoughts in neat, clean penmanship, the president wrote, 'TRADE IS BAD.'

Several times Cohn just asked the president, 'Why do you have these views [on trade]?' 'I just do,' Trump replied. 'I've had these views for 30 years.' 'That doesn't mean they're right,' Cohn said. 'I had the view for 15 years I could play professional football. It doesn't mean I was right.'

quote:
Cohn asked, "As your economic advisor, would you like me to put together a briefing on the issue for you? We can keep the general thrust of leaning harder on trade partners, but I think some elements of the plan would be bad for many Americans."

"No," Trump responded. "I have my views already. Your job is to go do the plans I say."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

poo poo wrong thread.

• Locked thread