Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
President is a literal baby, so what?

quote:

Trump was editing an upcoming speech with [then-staff secretary Rob] Porter. Scribbling his thoughts in neat, clean penmanship, the president wrote, 'TRADE IS BAD.'

Several times Cohn just asked the president, 'Why do you have these views [on trade]?' 'I just do,' Trump replied. 'I've had these views for 30 years.' 'That doesn't mean they're right,' Cohn said. 'I had the view for 15 years I could play professional football. It doesn't mean I was right.'

quote:

Cohn asked, "As your economic advisor, would you like me to put together a briefing on the issue for you? We can keep the general thrust of leaning harder on trade partners, but I think some elements of the plan would be bad for many Americans."

"No," Trump responded. "I have my views already. Your job is to go do the plans I say."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bugsy posted:

Is there something wrong with the water around kent state?

https://twitter.com/LHatKent/status/1034842182073626624

It took me FOREVER but I finally realize where I've seen that kid before.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

Where are all of you going to go after Captain Trips wipes most of us out? I'm thinking Maine.

I hope the walking dude picks somewhere with nicer weather than vegas this time.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

...you guys wanna tell her or should I?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

President is a literal baby, so what?

"THEN GO MAKE ME A GREEN LANTERN RING. I SAW IT IN A BOOK. I WANT THE THING IN THE BOOK HERE NOW." :downs:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

FEINSTEIN: "Can a sitting president be required to respond to a subpoena?"

KAVANAUGH: "So that's a hypothetical question about uh what would be uh an elaboration or a difference for um US v Nixon's precise holding and I think going with the Justice Ginsberg opinion which is not really the Justice Ginsberg opinion alone: it's everyone's principle [very human smile] on the current Supreme Court and it's a matter of the canons of Judicial independence, I can't give you an answer on that hypothetical question."

jesus he's wiffing hard here, in a way that is going to be super easy to skewer him with

eke out posted:

that wasn't a great set of questions but recall from yesterday, Feinstein is by far the most moderate of the Senate dems on this committee. i think it's fine to get his initial equivocations on these things so Harris/Hirono/Blumenthal/Whitehouse can be more aggressive

i think it's less an issue of moderate/not moderate, and more that Feinstein has not been on her game in the past year or so (she's said some super, super dumb stuff that her staff then had to have her issue a press release saying the exact opposite) and I'd rather have someone who has been on their game to skewer him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

you need the public to support court-packing, even if you won enough seats to pull it off. both to persuade vulnerable senators/reps to go along with it, and to minimize the backlash so that those seats aren't lost, since you want to hold power as long as possible. court-packing is an extreme action to take, though it has become necessary, and you need to lay the groundwork as much as possible.

The only way we would get court packing is with the end of the filibuster and if that happens we'll get massively expanded voting rights and statehood for PR and DC. I have no faith in current democratic leadership to do any of this stuff but in a world where court packing is a thing that could happen, it's going to come along with other massive democratic reforms that will help lock in democratic electoral power.

Also, Republicans are literally court packing right now in multiple states and they could give two shits if it's popular or not.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 5, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This discussion right here is why America is what it is

.....white people not even willing to admit that white supremacy is a real and overt problem because boohoo it challenges our views. It's scary to admit it's real. Instead it must be less serious than it is and everyone else is making too much of a big deal, right??

more whites believe in ghosts than racism, also only posting this so I cant get to the last page and do my weird skimming/catch up on new post methd.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

mcmagic posted:

The only way we would get court packing is with the end of the filibuster and if that happens we'll get massively expanded voting rights and statehood for PR and DC. I have no faith in current democratic leadership to do any of this stuff but it a world where court packing is a thing that could happen, it's going to come along with other massive democratic reforms.

You have no faith in democrats. It’s your thing. Everybody knows this. Water is wet.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

"If I'm not successful, why do I keep saying I am?"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

jesus he's wiffing hard here, in a way that is going to be super easy to skewer him with

i think it's less an issue of moderate/not moderate, and more that Feinstein has not been on her game in the past year or so (she's said some super, super dumb stuff that her staff then had to have her issue a press release saying the exact opposite) and I'd rather have someone who has been on their game to skewer him

moderate is probably a bad word, maybe like conciliatory is more appropriate - everyone else was just much more aggressive about this yesterday in both their objections and openings, and Feinstein wasn't even joining them.

anyways i still have faith that we're going to get some fireworks, and so far he seems more willing to actually respond (to some extent) than Gorsuch did

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1037076051623665666

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/1037123888692568064?s=19
I really want a 2018 version of the Trump's asskissing Cabinet meeting, but with each participant instead vocally denying they called him very specific variations of "goddamn loving idiot moron."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cochise posted:

The Strain started like this.

e: but I'll be fine if Future rear end in a top hat shows up

Replacing one circle of bloodsuckers for another at least means there's some change.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://twitter.com/SweeneyABC/status/1037345408329154560

Last time I checked, 10 is very different from 100.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Someone wake me when this old white gently caress stops asking why he is so awesome

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CmdrRiker posted:

Oh, well.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Someone wake me when this old white gently caress stops asking why he is so awesome

the equal opportunity to govern amendment idea was a good proposal by hatch

there aren't many good proposals by hatch

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CmdrRiker posted:

I’m guessing some early source fat fingered it to 100.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/MarkSZaidEsq/status/1037004482108944384

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Sex pest I worked for? Never heard of him"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It is the year 2021. There is a man in a suit in the peripheral of your vision. You turn your head and he is gone. You move your eyes and concentrate, he is gone.

The man's face is blurred beyond recognition, but you know he is looking at you, and he is concerned.

He will be with you for life.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CmdrRiker posted:

yeah but ten people with similar symptoms on a single flight isn't exactly super either

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Ague Proof posted:

It is the year 2021. There is a man in a suit in the peripheral of your vision. You turn your head and he is gone. You move your eyes and concentrate, he is gone.

The man's face is blurred beyond recognition, but you know he is looking at you, and he is concerned.

He will be with you for life.

I knew slender man worked for the government.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol the latest Rasmussen poll has Trump at -10% approval rating. Rasmussen

That uh, ain’t good.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

evilweasel posted:

yeah but ten people with similar symptoms on a single flight isn't exactly super either

It isn't, but he should probably more clearly call out the flub in the initial tweet rather than correct it quietly in a later one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CmdrRiker posted:

I knew slender man worked for the government.

He's actually a senior auditor with the IRS, terrorizing the innocent is really more of a weekend thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1037193404235620352

Mike gets it!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That uh, ain’t good.

I just Googled this and it's actually -12% in the daily tracking poll. Wow indeed.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1037357761716264960?s=20

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Apparently Sinbad was on the scene when the crazy guy rammed the Fox station:

https://twitter.com/sinbadbad/status/1037344605438701568

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

evilweasel posted:

Yeah this wasn't a passenger liner or something that was out to sea for awhile. This was a flight taking a few hours.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That uh, ain’t good.

Well you see you have to add 8-9 points to all Trump approval polls because the polls are fake news and they just wanna make him look bad CNN is fake news Cohen rat traitor DemoRAT burn Nike shoes Keurig coolers Yeti lorem ipsum *collapses to the ground, seizing violently and foaming at the mouth*

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Are the dems on this committee required to confirm Kavanaugh?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Are the dems on this committee required to confirm Kavanaugh?

No. Also, none of the potential Dem "yes" votes sit on this committee.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Tony Gunk posted:

Well you see you have to add 8-9 points to all Trump approval polls because the polls are fake news and they just wanna make him look bad CNN is fake news Cohen rat traitor DemoRAT burn Nike shoes Keurig coolers Yeti lorem ipsum *collapses to the ground, seizing violently and foaming at the mouth*

No, it's because Trump supporters refuse to participate in polls. I'm pretty sure that's the reason they're going with.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1037352651082686465

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah this wasn't a passenger liner or something that was out to sea for awhile. This was a flight taking a few hours.

It's 10 people on a plane coming down with the flu OH MY GOD

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

please don't treat him as a political figure tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man the line of questioning now is cool. "Hey you had stolen emails what is with that"

• Locked thread