Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Latest update:

It was the year 2018.

Vampires have been in folklore for many centuries. For so many, in fact, that there is a billion ways to spell the word "vampire".

But has there been a game about a vampire doctor? As in, a vampire who is actually a doctor?

And one set in WW1 London?

No, there was not.

Thus, Vampyr was born, an action-RPG that has vampires, vampiric skills and other things. I think it's not complete yet, but they already charge 50 Euros for it, so I assume that it's mostly playable.

The LP

With the exception of the first 30 minutes, the run is a blind run with live commentary. I saw that this is a game, that it has vampires, and that it has a PC version. The decision was made then and there. As such, any tips for how to play the game are most welcome.

Meanwhile, I will keep white noise chatter to a minimum.

Fun fact: I've never played anything both blind and live before on camera, so this will be a learning experience.

Vampyr has text entries in a journal format, I will be posting these in the thread and, for the most part, giving a brief summary of the content.

And finally:

Schubalts posted:

Really interested to see how the story plays out without a genocidal maniac at the controls.

Spoiler policy

I am yet to get far in the game, so spoilers for anything not yet covered are to be tagged, no exception. This is a rule that I will enforce with the brutality of a Russian vurdalak, because I don't want to suffer from spoilers.

Videos:

[/url
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hvajefRf4]
]

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
[POST UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
For anyone concerned about Quake 4, I got burnt out, which happens to be half the reason I'm doing this

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Really interested to see how the story plays out without a genocidal maniac at the controls.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I really hope you pronounce the title a different way in every part.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a reason the link you posted starts the video 5 seconds in?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Is there a reason the link you posted starts the video 5 seconds in?

No, thanks for pointing it out. It's fixed now

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The real crime is that this game wasn't named Dr. Acula.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

With the exception of the first 30 minutes, the run is a blind run with live commentary. I saw that this is a game, that it has vampires, and that it has a PC version. The decision was made then and there. As such, any tips for how to play the game are most welcome.

Absolutely wonderful.

My only tip and the only thing I'm willing to say about this game as someone who's seen a complete LP of it, it's got a nice storyline and is an absolute motherfucker about every choice you make. It's going to be very entertaining for us to watch your frustration.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lacedaemonius posted:

I really hope you pronounce the title a different way in every part.

Episode Eighteen: Let's Play Wumper

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I was very excited for this game. The team who worked on it are the same from Life Is Strange so having good expectations for the story was apparently not unfounded according to all the reviews I read. Sadly I was also told the combat leaves a lot to be desired and at least on the first few weeks of release was in desperate need of re-balancing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cool game tips:

- Whenever you go to a new area, check if you can unlock shortcuts to places you've been to before.
- You may want to put off sidequesting at low levels until you find the Barbed Cudgel very early on (I think it's along the critical path), it's a super-powerful weapon for the early game.
- Stunning an enemy lets you suck their blood. When you're done sucking, their stun meter will refresh and actually get higher.
However, if you don't suck their blood and just use the opportunity to refresh your cooldowns/stamina and get some extra hits in, then their stun meter will only refresh to half and won't improve. This can be vital for making tougher one-on-one fights much easier.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

We are continuing with the tutorial, with the game introducing more different mechanics as it goes along. This is where it gets actually blind.

The game tries and fails to teach me sneak attacks, and succeeds in teaching me about the dialogue wheel, the vampire vision (everything becomes shades of gray, except blood trails). I also bypass the first table for crafting and forget to mention that I plan to learn it off-camera (I have not done this as of today, so do tell me if you want to actually see me learn the ropes).

In the second half we get our first real dialogue, which uses the dialogue wheel, has hidden options, and is absolutely atrociously written. I now understand the comments that my non-goon viewers have been leaving about the dialogue writing, it didn't seem bad to me at first :v: In the end, we are introduced to a new character, who may or may not be an ally. I hope that we can make him an ally, because after some consideration, and taking into account the first post in this very thread, I decided that this is now officially a light side playthrough.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 31, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The murder mystery is hereby solved, and the introductory portion of the game is mostly over. The first boss battle is really easy and I really should have played it more aggressively.

Despite the poorly written NPC dialogue, I'm really liking this game so far.

Good clothes will be incoming very very soon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

- You may want to put off sidequesting at low levels until you find the Barbed Cudgel very early on (I think it's along the critical path), it's a super-powerful weapon for the early game.

Are you referring to the one-handed or two-handed club?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Let's Play! > Vampyr: The real Bloodborne starts now.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SardonicTyrant posted:

Let's Play! > Vampyr: The real Bloodborne starts now.

...I don't get it

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Vampyr's London design is super Bloodborne.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I see. I've never played or even seen Bloodborne, so :v:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I missed this thread, I'm very excited to watch the 3 videos I missed. Excited for your lps as always.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 3, 2018

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haha. I recently read a book on the history of vampires (that is, a history of the folklore of vampires, and not actually a book on vampires itself, a distinction the author had to make repeatedly and annoyingly during his research). It was a very interesting and sad book, basically detailing how poorly educated peoples dealt with the mysteries of death.

But, while it was on the whole, depressing, there were many interesting takes about vampires though the ages. Some even bordering on the hilarious.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I set these to autopublish and forgot :v:

This is a longer video, which is basically a large infodump. We get to the hospital which I think is going to be our base for the future, talk to some patients, learn how to drink blood from citizens, and most importantly, get a badass set of clothes

Samovar posted:

Haha. I recently read a book on the history of vampires (that is, a history of the folklore of vampires, and not actually a book on vampires itself, a distinction the author had to make repeatedly and annoyingly during his research). It was a very interesting and sad book, basically detailing how poorly educated peoples dealt with the mysteries of death.

But, while it was on the whole, depressing, there were many interesting takes about vampires though the ages. Some even bordering on the hilarious.

My story with vampire folklore is a mug from Romania that says "Dracoola"

SystemLogoff posted:

I missed this thread, I'm very excited to watch the 3 videos I missed. Exited for your lps as always.

Thanks! This one is a bit different because I have never played anything blind. I kind of needed to do something that doesn't require 5+ hours per video to make

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Docula, M.D.

Alexeythegreat posted:

They have a aesthetic sense (crumbly British-ish city), coupled with the vampyrireyr hunters hanging around, everything being about blood, and some combat similarities.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

If people start talking about "eyes on the inside" get ready for some :catdrugs: level poo poo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Docula, M.D.

Dr. Acula

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Prof. Eratu

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The game will very soon start kicking my rear end, but in the meantime we are getting more information about the staff at Pendleton, and finally get to visit Jonathan's office!
I find the hospital surprisingly hard to navigate, despite its simple layout. Not sure whether it's the design or just me trying to talk and think at the same time.

Also, there's a sword that I have no idea where it came from and it's called loving DRAGONBANE

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

Also, there's a sword that I have no idea where it came from and it's called loving DRAGONBANE

Well, the most famous vampire is Dracula, whose name means Son of the Dragon.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

The Spanish Flu Epidemic was actually far more deadly than the First World War.

WWI killed about 20 million people, and about 22-odd more were wounded, over the course of four and a half years.

The Spanish Flu, in a span of two years, infected 500 million people and killed at least 50 million (at the time, approximately 3-5% of the world's population)

Vampyr using the later days of the war and the outbreak of the Spanish Flu as the backdrop to its story is particularly interesting, in part because of the metaphor of disease and vampirism being so closely intertwined.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Technowolf posted:

Well, the most famous vampire is Dracula.

Or Jesus, not that he needs to be any cooler.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You got Dragonbane from pre-orders, or day-1 buys from certain sites.

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you referring to the one-handed or two-handed club?

Two-handed club. For a long stretch of the game it's a stunlock-stick with high damage to the point that you're limited solely by your stamina.

Speaking of which, something I should point out and make clear:

Damage to both yourself and enemies does have some basis in level! You will do less damage to higher level enemies, and take more from lower-level ones.

Now, there's an issue here that's kind of a flaw in the game:
Unless you grind enemies, then on a 'minimal bloodsucking path' then there's only so much XP available in game, from quests and clues. Additionally, levelling up things isn't equal. For example, getting up to level 2 in Bloodspear might cost 2000XP, while getting up to level 4 stamina might also cost 2000XP.

This means that even though you've spend 2000XP in both cases, the stamina-vampire will be a higher level, and thus be stronger overall than the Bloodspear vampire.

Generally speaking though I recommend dumping a bunch of XP into stamina regardless, because stunlocking enemies by hitting them a lot until they die is a very viable combat strategy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Character level is based on total xp spent, not how many discrete things you've bought with xp.
As you buy stuff you can see a bar on the top right fill up. That's your progress to the next level.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Lone Badger posted:

Character level is based on total xp spent, not how many discrete things you've bought with xp.
As you buy stuff you can see a bar on the top right fill up. That's your progress to the next level.

Wait really? Wow I totally missed that my entire playthrough and thought it was just based on upgrades.
Now I feel pretty dumb.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The one thing that I find interesting is how the idea of vampires requires the curse to be spread through drinking blood. In the old days, that wasn't needed at all.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I now have a bunch of research articles about vampires as a cultural phenomenon piled up on my HDD

just throwing it out there

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

I now have a bunch of research articles about vampires as a cultural phenomenon piled up on my HDD

just throwing it out there

That'll be a damned sight better than my half-remembered recollections.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

This game is hard goddammit. John Doe is stronger than John Reid.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Also, no one noticed that my video titles for the hospital said "Pendleton" for several days straight :v:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

This game's combat system is not very well explained, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

John Doe is stronger than John Reid.

Is Alan Smithee a secret boss?

• Locked thread