Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2015, refer to archives]

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott

Current:

:nws: :nws:

The Magus by John Fowles

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Magus-Novel-John-Fowles/dp/0440351626

About the book:

quote:

The Magus (1965) is a postmodern novel by British author John Fowles, telling the story of Nicholas Urfe, a young British graduate who is teaching English on a small Greek island. Urfe becomes embroiled in the psychological illusions of a master trickster, which become increasingly dark and serious. Considered an example of metafiction, it was the first novel written by Fowles, but the third he published. In 1977 he published a revised edition.[1] In 1999 The Magus was ranked on both lists of Modern Library 100 Best Novels, reaching number 93 on the editors' list, and 71 on the readers' list.[2] In 2003, the novel was listed at number 67 on the BBC's survey The Big Read.[3]

About the Author

quote:

John Robert Fowles (/faʊlz/; 31 March 1926 – 5 November 2005) was an English novelist of international stature, critically positioned between modernism and postmodernism. His work reflects the influence of Jean-Paul Sartre and Albert Camus, among others.

After leaving Oxford University, Fowles taught English at a school on the Greek island of Spetses, a sojourn that inspired The Magus, an instant best-seller that was directly in tune with 1960s "hippy" anarchism and experimental philosophy. This was followed by The French Lieutenant's Woman (1969), a Victorian-era romance with a postmodern twist that was set in Lyme Regis, Dorset, where Fowles lived for much of his life. Later fictional works include The Ebony Tower, Daniel Martin, Mantissa, and A Maggot.

quote:

In 1951, Fowles became an English master at the Anargyrios and Korgialenios School of Spetses on the Peloponnesian island of Spetses (also known as Spetsai). This opened a critical period in his life, as the island was where he met his future wife Elizabeth Christy, née Whitton, wife of fellow teacher Roy Christy. Inspired by his experiences and feelings there, he used it as the setting of his novel, The Magus (1966). Fowles was happy in Greece, especially outside the school. He wrote poems that he later published, and became close to his fellow expatriates. But during 1953, Fowles and the other masters at the school were all dismissed for trying to institute reforms, and Fowles returned to England.[6]

On the island of Spetses, Fowles had developed a relationship with Elizabeth Christy, then married to another teacher. Christy's marriage was already ending because of Fowles. Although they returned to England at the same time, they were no longer in each other's company. It was during this period that Fowles began drafting The Magus.

His separation from Elizabeth did not last long. On 2 April 1957, they were married. Fowles became stepfather to Elizabeth's daughter from her first marriage, Anna. For nearly ten years, Fowles taught English as a foreign language to students from other countries at St. Godric's College, an all-girls establishment in Hampstead, London.[7]

quote:

In the same year, he adapted The Magus for cinema, and the film was released in 1968.[9] The film version of The Magus (1968) was generally considered awful; when Woody Allen was later asked whether he would make changes in his life if he had the opportunity to do it all over again, he jokingly replied he would do "everything exactly the same, with the exception of watching The Magus."[11]

Themes

I haven't read this one yet so I'm entering it blind, which I am told is the proper way to read it.

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

quote:

In Jasper Fforde's comic detective novel The Well of Lost Plots (part of the Thursday Next series), The Magus wins the "Most Incomprehensible Plot" Award at the annual "Bookie" Awards, the awards programme that characters in literature give one another.

Apparently there are big plot twists so please use spoiler tags, and consider posting discussion of spoiler material later in the month when folks have had a chance to catch up.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

quote:

John Fowles wrote an article about his experiences in the island of Spetses and their influence on the book.[7] He acknowledged some literary works as influences in his foreword to the 1977 revised edition of The Magus. These include Alain-Fournier's Le Grand Meaulnes, for showing a secret hidden world to be explored, and Richard Jefferies' Bevis (1882), for projecting a very different world. In the revised edition, Fowles also referred to a Miss Havisham, a likely reference to a character in Charles Dickens's Great Expectations (1861).

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm cautiously excited for this one, it's been on my reading list forever even though I know literally nothing about it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Excited to read this with y'all! One of my most frequently recommended books in the recommendation thread. I'm a bit surprised that is considered meta-fictional as I wouldn't consider it such, but it's a ripping good read and I can't wait to see reactions as we read through it.

It was noted in the OP but I'd like to emphasize that it's best to go in as blind as possible. Even the brief synopsis does a bit of a disservice to the reader imo.

One final note: there is a revised edition that clears up a few minor plot details but I don't think it's a significant enough difference to worry about. If your library or used book store only has the original version it's perfectly fine.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 31, 2018

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I hate this book. Maybe it was groundbreaking at the time, but to me it reads like a schizophrenic episode of Lost.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Read some of that book several years ago, the parts I remember most vividly was protagonist talking about how he hosed a child prostitute just as casually as if he was talking about ordering a McDonald meal. Also him lusting after his teenage students. :allbuttons: Good old Fifties, am I right.

Is it worth finishing, though?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

font color sea posted:

Read some of that book several years ago, the parts I remember most vividly was protagonist talking about how he hosed a child prostitute just as casually as if he was talking about ordering a McDonald meal. Also him lusting after his teenage students. :allbuttons: Good old Fifties, am I right.

you do realize that just because a narrator does something like that it doesn't mean you're supposed to view it positively or uncritically, right

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

font color sea posted:

Is it worth finishing, though?

I think if those are the only things you remember about the book, then yeah you should probably keep going. It's a book that starts off a little slow.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I have a crazy week of work but I'll try to get through the first few chapters tomorrow and post.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
my copy just arrived today. it's Large

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m through the early section in England and he’s met Conchis and they’ve talked a bit about war. It’s interesting and there’s this sense that things are going to get really weird but so far it’s been very subtle tricks and manipulation that the main character is mostly able to reason through. Looking forward to when it gets beyond his depth.

Also I don’t think Urfe has sex with anyone underage. He describes the prostitute as a nymph but that doesn’t mean underage.
And he cant be lusting after female students because he teaches at a boys school.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 5, 2018

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Ccs posted:

I’m through the early section in England and he’s met Conchis and they’ve talked a bit about war. It’s interesting and there’s this sense that things are going to get really weird but so far it’s been very subtle tricks and manipulation that the main character is mostly able to reason through. Looking forward to when it gets beyond his depth.

Also I don’t think Urfe has sex with anyone underage. He describes the prostitute as a nymph but that doesn’t mean underage.

Are you reading the revised edition? Fowles re-wrote some passages entirely, according to the forward in the revised edition I'm reading.

I think I'm at the same point that you are, more or less. Urfe has gone 'scnorkeling' with Conchis. Really enjoying it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just finished it, and things do get out of his depth but in ways I didn't anticipate.

It was smart to have Nick's girlfriend be a major part of the mystery, as it links all the parts together and creates a more emotional finale. If it was just escalating psychological tricks centering around Nick and his perception of the girls on the island, it would have been contained. But when it leaks out into personal relationships that existed before he met Conchis, then his life gains that extra bit of unreality.

Though I don't understand, if those two do get back together, how their relationship will survive going through tricks involving suicide and separation. Nick will probably have PTSD from this experience for a long time. What exactly Conchis' goal was with the whole endeavor is unclear, to try to patch Nick's deficiencies? To torment him?

Also I find it kinda funny that the author wrote a character so much worse than himself. It’s basically a “what if I had travelled to teach at a Greek island but been a failure without any talent except for picking up women”. The crazy stuff that happens to Nick substitutes for the emptiness in every other part of his life.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 5, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Found some time and read up to the point after the first encounter with Conchis. I forgot how many somewhat obscure literary references are dropped throughout the book.

It's a very good book that I'll always have fond memories for but as Fowles says in his forward, it's a novel written from juvenilia and Urfe is such a callow youth. It's a step up from Catcher for sure but shares themes of the protagonist trying to figure out who he is.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you do realize that just because a narrator does something like that it doesn't mean you're supposed to view it positively or uncritically, right

To be fair, that's a hard lesson to learn. I only learned so in the past few weeks.

I've just finished some "easier" literature works and the kindle version of this is cheap, so I'll jump in and have a go.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

To be fair, that's a hard lesson to learn. I only learned so in the past few weeks.

How old are you??

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

A human heart posted:

How old are you??

28. But hey, I only just learnt it. font color sea apparently didn't know. Maybe the problem isn't that we're dumb, but that you're just a genius?

Eh, it's probably both.

As an aside, where DID you learn these things? I never went to university so if we're supposed to learn these little rules there I'm way out of luck. I'm pretty sure it was never covered at secondary school either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the American public school system often doesn't cover things like unreliable narrators or the difference between narrator and author viewpoint. I remember in college a lot of kids we're *really* thrown by John Gardner's Grendel because they didn't or couldn't realize that just because Grendel was the protagonist that didn't mean the work endorsed his viewpoint. And that was at a supposed "elite" top ten college.

I'm about halfway through this one. So far my favorite part is the initial section in England. It's just a great study of a flawed youthful relationship. The stuff on the island so far seems a bit grandiloquent.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Oh poo poo, I read this when I was about 15 years old and it was an extremely bizarre experience which I didn't really process at the time. May as well give it a re-read and see what it was actually about.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

28. But hey, I only just learnt it. font color sea apparently didn't know. Maybe the problem isn't that we're dumb, but that you're just a genius?

Eh, it's probably both.

As an aside, where DID you learn these things? I never went to university so if we're supposed to learn these little rules there I'm way out of luck. I'm pretty sure it was never covered at secondary school either.

i am a genius, but i don't understand why you would need you learn this like it's a maths equation. like, a person in real life can already say things that they dont actually believe. if a person writes a fictional book, then its even easier for them to say stuff they dont actually believe or think is positive or approve of, because its not them the person talking anymore.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A human heart posted:

i am a genius, but i don't understand why you would need you learn this like it's a maths equation. like, a person in real life can already say things that they dont actually believe. if a person writes a fictional book, then its even easier for them to say stuff they dont actually believe or think is positive or approve of, because its not them the person talking anymore.

The vast majority of books, particularly ones that a child will encounter during basic education, are either fiction with a totally reliable narrator, or textbooks which have the Unquestionable Truth in them. It's a relatively unusual tactic and I can absolutely see how someone who for whatever reason wasn't particularly engaged by reading (or by the kind of relatively unconventional film that would use an unreliable narrator) could then get to adulthood without encountering the idea, or considering that it might be possible to write fiction that way.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

A human heart posted:

I guess it's a mix of naivety and an inability to apply lessons and knowledge to a broad scope. I had no trouble with the concept when it applied to film and tv, but it seems I have a massive blind spot when it comes to critically thinking about the written word and it wasn't until a very kind goon spelt out the idea to me, using The Sopranos as an example, that I actually got it.

I'd be a terrible karate kid but an excellent car waxer.

EDIT: ^^^^^ What this goon says is true, to.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Nick is always mentioning women’s mouths and characterizing their personality by their mouth and Allison seems to always have a ‘bruised mouth’. Is than an expression or is one of the men she’s seeing hitting her?

also Nick slaps her at the end. Yet we’re still supposed to think they might get back together. I guess violence against women was all cool and good in the 50s.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Haha, okay, holy poo poo. I'd forgotten how much of this book is rooted in British class structure stuff and postwar British anxiety about its place in the world, especially the opening chapters before Greece, which is really the emotional setup for the novel. This might seem like a very difficult question to quantify any answers to, but I am curious how much that's all going to make sense to a modern (American?) audience. When I first read the book I must have been maybe 15-16 years old and I barely remembered much about Nick, but now he's just the absolute worst, and only half of that is his attitude toward women; the other part is all about class.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hungry posted:

Haha, okay, holy poo poo. I'd forgotten how much of this book is rooted in British class structure stuff and postwar British anxiety about its place in the world, especially the opening chapters before Greece, which is really the emotional setup for the novel. This might seem like a very difficult question to quantify any answers to, but I am curious how much that's all going to make sense to a modern (American?) audience. When I first read the book I must have been maybe 15-16 years old and I barely remembered much about Nick, but now he's just the absolute worst, and only half of that is his attitude toward women; the other part is all about class.

Well I am a dumb American who hasn't read the book before, so I could probably let you know once I finish it.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Hungry posted:

British guy here just to confirm that 53 years after this book was published, the class system remains as rigid as it is displayed in the story.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

His kind of protagonist is still common in literature. Like I recently reread The Magicians and that’s all about kids on the east coast prepped from an early age for the Ivy League. Class is just as rigid in Britain and even more rigid in America than in was 30-40 years ago.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

There's another very intensely British thing going on in the opening parts of the story, after Nick reaches Greece, which again I had little idea of when I first read the novel. The British image of going to the European continent is bound up with ideas of personal freedom from the more stifling socially constricted standards of Britain - despite most of Europe being little different. Except, you know, when he gets there the Greek school is a little parcel of British style dropped into his illusion of the perfect untouched Greek countryside.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Would be nice if I'd be able to get in on this, but whoever took it out at the end of last month hasn't returned it to the library yet, and I can see from the online due date that it's a week overdue. So in case that's anyone here, take it back already, you irresponsible motherfucker

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Speaking of, I need suggestions for next month!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Applewhite posted:

Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
October's book will be I'll be Gone in the Dark for some actual real world terror

I'll get thread up soonish

• Locked thread