Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Current event: It's the 79th anniversary of WWII kicking off.

Also, it's my birthday :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

SlightlyMad posted:

Rolls right off the tongue. Operation MASAGA: Making South America Great Again

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Can someone give me a quick overview of what could possibly happen in the 2018 midterms? Like, both best-case and worst-case?

iirc the Senate can't go blue over open positions or something, but I've lost track over special elections / resignations / close races in both house and Senate over the year

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

John Kyl is replacing John McCain. John Kyl is a former high-level GOP senator, is currently the Sherpa for the Kavanaugh nomination, and if you don't see why that's bad:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/844929071360413696?s=19

Granted, he's "standard-Republican bad", but that doesn't exactly help matters much.

That was such an easy dunk and she still had to be fed the line :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

As little as it would surprise me that a member of the current administration would display an affection for the white supremacy move on television, that whole SECRET SYMBOL drama got little more than a rolling of the eyes to me, and I used to get paid to identify Nazi symbols.

This video seems to make it even more clear that she gets a message on her phone, smirks, looks at the camera, makes that dumb ring sign and keeps looking around ominously like she knows she's being watched while hiding a smile.

https://twitter.com/ManInTheHoody/status/1037124624557830144

I mean, I understand people have racism-fatigue or something under this administration, but to shoot immediately for WHITE SUPREMACY instead of some juvenile joke seems like grasping at straws.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I can't even google a picture of this "white supremacist hand gesture" and D&D still seems to be 100% convinced that's what it was and is melting down over it.

Yes, I know, water wet, etc.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, I learn a new dumb thing every day, I guess.

I genuinely thought it was the dumb ring game thing that started being a thing again recently, mostly because she appeared to receive a message, smirked, then did the thing while glancing at the camera and still suppressing a smirk.

Do she or her associates have some form of history/connection with white supremacists at least? Where there's smoke, there's fire etc?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

mods changed my name posted:

Doesn't she associate with the trump admin / gop??

Yeah, I just read up on her and I don't think any employee of Stephen Miller has an excuse in that regard

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The House is having a loving Twitter hearing?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I laughed a lot, then I thought it was getting old, and then I laughed a lot again at the end

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1037414684994007040

:lol:, she decided to invoke race

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1037468070992916483

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 6, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

With the amount of documentation and sources Woodward has done on everything in the past, I'm not at all surprised

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm getting reports that Madagascar just shut down every port of entry

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

In our reality, the world is brought to its knees by a plague the US failed to contain on account of broken government, and Madagascar ends up being the sole country left to accept survivors for treatment

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm not even 5 minutes in, but holy poo poo, Elon is awkward as hell. I mean, for any other person, I'd assume it's them being nervous, but this dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPr5-27vSI

/edit: I dare you to get past 19 minutes of this, because that's where I had to trigger ye olde ejectonne seate

It's an insane person hungry for crazy talking to an incredibly nervous insane person that may or may not be autistic and/or high

/edit: He doesn't even smoke weed, he takes a fake-hit off Rogan's blunt like I would do when I was 14 and trying to drag on a cigarette to make the older kids think I was cool without inhaling

Like, Mark Zuckerberg could probably fake a hit from a blunt more convincingly

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 7, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

loving :lol:

Absolutely incredible

/edit:
I just realized that someone probably told her "no, no, that thing you did last time that caused controversy? Do it on live TV again, but use it in the 'proper ay-okay' manner, that'll put the discussion to rest"

This administration has the greatest loving consultants and advisers

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 7, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Her name is Bash...

Bash the Fash

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It's like they took the "Joke's on you, I was just pretending to be retarded" meme and ran with it

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hey, uh, we have dumber things to argue over I think.

Here, like this President that just said this book must be a scam, because I don't say dumb things, if I said dumb things, I wouldn't have become President

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1038027233519001600

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This got a chuckle out of me

https://twitter.com/KristinMinkDC/status/1038396317830193153

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

When's this thing supposed to make landfall?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, that's not good.

But 4 days out, there's still a chance for it to change direction / not hit as hard, right? I mean, I figure it's only gonna gain strength on the way there, but...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

EBB posted:

Thanks for the nice PMs guys. SC governor is on TV and ordered the evacuation, talked to Mom and she's leaving.

Good to hear.

What's not so good to hear is this. Take it with a grain of salt, because it's from popularmechanics, but supposedly, the air leak the ISS suffered recently may have been due to sabotage

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a22984603/air-leak-iss-drilled-russia/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Michael Moore is good and cool

After thousands of schools in Germany went to see "Bowling for Columbine" as educational content way back when, I tend to disagree

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Seems like you should be mad at German schools for that

So we're in agreement that - while having some absolutely valid points - it's a trash documentary produced by Michael Moore?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I don't know, he's always left a bad taste in my mouth with the poo poo he's pushed out.

It's always an important issue that deserves to be highlighted, but he does with his...Michael Moore antics that really cast a massive shadow on what he does.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Woodward book showing up online

I'm loading it on my kindle now and I'm working till 6am.

It seems to be only 15 bucks on Amazon, so I might just grab the Kindle edition there

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

:piss:

https://twitter.com/AndyFoxWAVY/status/1039277760848584704

The center of the storm is 1,027 miles from the outer banks and they're loving already underwater

Christ, was that at least from rainfall, or are those the first flooding waves from the hurricane?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

From the GBS thread:

Those sandbags are in for some work :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm past Chapter 4 of Woodward's book, and...I don't think I can take this.

I mean, is there anything else worthwhile reading in this book outside of the confirmation, in excruciatingly-vivid detail, the incomprehensible idiocy going on in Trump's campaign, administration, and mind that we already know of?

It's beyond sanity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

Gotta admire their optimism. Logic, no. But the optimism is off the loving charts.

I actually like this idea.

This is apparently South Topsail Beach, by the way.

Which is located roughly here

Hardest working sandbags in showbiz

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Latest models apparently have Florence idling off the coast a bit and then turning south just after making landfall, NWS dudes are calling it the "storm of a lifetime".

I'm guessing coastal NC/SC isn't gonna be very happy about this

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Stormpost: the precipitation forecast makes it look like a decent bit of the NC coast between Wilmington, Havelock and Jacksonville might be getting over half a loving METER of rain over 5 days. Like, knee-deep water, coming from the sky, for every square meter.
And that doesn't even include the storm surges.

Peep these numbers.

:stare:

/edit:
MCAS Cherry Point is right around where Havelock is, do bases like that get skeleton crews to remain behind during full evacuation? I'm assuming you'd want to fly out everything you can't cram in a shelter, but surely, the poo poo still needs to be under considerable guard.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 12, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

But hey, don't worry, strong daddy's got this. He already did an incredible job with Puerto Rico, it'll be an even more incredible job when actual white voters of his are affected, nevermind the diversion of budget to ICE :downs:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1039600444568350720

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

Thousands of idiots are going to die, and Trump will toss out paper towels to a crowd of Trump supporters and proclaim victory.

E: If that central number is 93, thats not 93 cm, that's 93 inches, because the precip measurement is in inches along the bottom.

The spot where it says 93 inches, will be getting 2.36 meters of rain during this storm.

Yeah, I read that too, but didn't point it out in my post, because I figured that either had to be wrong, or mean something else in the graphical context. It didn't make sense in the context of that graph to only demarcate a scale of up to 20 inches, but then have considerable spots of the map covered in precipitation density that is literally off the scale. If the majority of a region on a graph would be affected by something, you'd adjust the scale, which is why the graph didn't entirely make sense to me.

Though, if the explanation behind this is that it's a static default scale that cannot handle anything above 20 inches of precipitation, and those numbers are accurate, then...nevermind the 93 inches in the middle. Everything between Wilmington and Havelock is getting more than a loving meter of rain between early Thursday and midday Saturday.

God help them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

I can't even comprehend over a meter of rain falling in 3 days, like that amount of water falling from the sky is just unfathomable to me. There is no loving way that plenty of people don't die in this.

iirc, NWS precipitation scales still indicate precipitation per square meter, despite the imperial units for amount, so that's a literal ton, as in one thousand kilos of water per square meter, during the most intense couple of days. Like, swimming pool amounts of water.

I genuinely hope that the difference in models is an indication of lack of accuracy, and there's still some hope for a milder outcome.

/edit: ^^^^^ that unfortunately confirms the models from the last two days, so it doesn't look like they're too far off with their estimates. Welp

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

golden bubble posted:

That's only the Global British Standard (GBS) model. The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (GCMWF) model only predicts 46" of rain, and the Global US Standard (GFS) model is predicting 57" of rain. You can look at more models here: https://weather.us/model-charts/standard/north-carolina/acc-total-precipitation/20180918-0000z.html. The official US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predictions only go to 20-25" of rain. But still, there is no place on Earth than can handle two feet of rain in two or three days without flooding.

Excellent, national models are only predicting just under a meter of rain over three days, but it's nowhere near the ludicrous estimates of more than a meter of rain.

The fact that conservative estimates correct the potential to around a level of "loving

catastrophic" from estimates of "beyond any amount of loving catastrophic we could imagine" is almost more terrifying than the weird models that have Florence going up and down the NC/SC coastline for five loving days before peacing out towards the NY coastline.

/edit:
That wasn't meant as a dig at you. It's just that I know the catastrophe-covering threads on SA tend to hype the worst possible outcome from following them over the past couple of years (which is why I take them with a grain of salt), but when the most defensive predictions still amount to what is going to be an absolute nightmare, it just scares the crap out of me.

I have an army buddy from Charleston whose grandpa took off to Savannah with his family yesterday, while another buddy in chapel hill is staying put. And while Chapel hill is nowhere close to what Wilmington is facing, it just kinda freaks me out.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 12, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Come to think of it, any damage Chapel Hill sustains is probably duly deserved from a history of not wanting black people around.

That place was a loving mystery to me when I went there for a wedding. It was like 'Get Out', except I was one of the white people there that wasn't read-in on what they're using black folks for

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Seriously, when we were being ferried from the hotel to the ceremony and then along to the reception while taking a tour of downtown Chapel Hill on a Saturday with all the fraternities having cookouts and pep-rallies on their front lawn, I jokingly asked "Where do you hide your black people?, and everyone within earshot chuckled in this aww-shucks kind of manner like the naive German dude didn't know the lay of the land

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Did I mention the only black person I encountered between daybreak and nightfall was a bartender at the reception?

That place needs a loving investigation or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

No, I've lived in the south. I know the south.

Chapel Hill needs an armed, sanctioned team of explorators/enforcers to come in and go "Okay, why is this place a statistical aberration in a region already plagued with racism? Let's set up tables for a summary tribunal right over there."

• Locked thread