Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot about the new month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally pulled myself away from my monster hunter hole to start Yakuza 0 and it's remarkable that this plays and looks better than a PS2 game...really turning around my opinion on the series in a major way

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

ps2 yakuza is a bad intro to the series now that there are solid remakes of both 1 and 2

the only reason to play yakuza 1 is for mark hamill as majima

Yeah i played Yakuza 1/2 before 5 was localized and they left a bad taste in my mouth so I never tried the series again. BUt now I wanna play 0/K1/K2/3/4/5/6, i hope they all come to PC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I mostly thought it was funny to talk about a modern release in a long running franchise not playing like its earlier releases, and having this revelation after playing monhun.

MHW plays a lot like every other MH game though. They just put all the wiki info directly into the game for that one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*calls gamestop*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

axelblaze posted:

Fell like 1500 posts behind again! Doing real bag keeping up this month

Anyways, Sony is finally attempting to cash in on a two year old fad item
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1042292260086276096

this 100% a pstv that you just can't buy more games on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1042457102868865024
https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1042461006654365697

Ehhhh, it's one thing if we're talking about "Old games" but this seems like it's leading into a bigger thing about abolishing gaming consoles entirely which...I don't think you'll see any of the big three relenting to any time soon. Like do you really think the whole "Microsoft games day and date on PC and One" thing would have ever happened if they weren't in the position they were in this gen?

The difference between video games and a movie is that watching a movie in 1895 is the same as watching a movie in 2018, whereas even one decade or hell 5 years of gaming can produced half a dozen different pieces of hardware

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also he did have to purchase an " HBO mini", it's called a DVD, or a subscription to HBO.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also don't like Cifaldi's repeated rhetoric and comparisons to film preservation when an enormous amount of film history is lost to the ages, or inaccessible in the US (swap in whatever domestic market comparison as needed) in any legal sense. When you want to watch Hollywood dogshit from a bargain bin of course that stuff is available for 4 dollars at a Shop Rite but it's always been a comparison that's rubbed me the wrong way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is because the major film studios have generally agreed that a unified format/platforms for their products were in their best interests, while their counterparts in games did not

I'm talking about controllers more than the boxes themselves, which are just computers and can play basically anything if programmed to do so.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

At first I rolled my eyes at the whole changeover but the more random crap these guys pick up for pennies on the dollar the more excited I am for a B-game renaissance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot it was console exclusive, I was thinking of max Payne 3. How were there many hackers on console back then?

The 360 had lots of hackers, MW2 was a minefield in particular in my memory. People could derank you by just being in your lobby. Or people hosted Achievement Rooms that just gave you 1000 points for joining

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

this nuclear throne weekly is insanely good

crown of blood melting with lightning hammer, rhino skin/strong spirit/hammerhead/trigger fingers/throne butt

oddium posted:

scary face/long arms and ultra mutation before reaching frozen city......... i'm crying

Omg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You mean greatest game of all time Fortnite?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was feeling down on MH bc I kept trying to farm Savage Jho and failing and after a few days of just needing one more kill to finish my set I decided to just join a turns room and blow off some steam, and the group was firing on all cylinders and just crushing hunts left and right and i wound up playing for hours again...god drat I love this game. I got them to help me finish the set and now I'm sucked back in forever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

My mother, who knows nothing about video games, asked me if I play Fortnite because, "the morning show said everyone is playing it."

(I haven't yet played Fortnite)

There was a period of time recently where every Morning Talk Show had teens coming on to teach the hosts how to floss and explain what Fortnite is. I see these videos in cabs all the time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

PUGB's short reign is over. It was fun but it's become a mess of a game and between Fortnite, COD Blackout, and the slow porting to PS4, its playerbase won't recover unless they do some crazy shake-up that isn't on their current roadmap.

"Become"????

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

if i decide to grab a game for eight bucks should i get geometry wars 3 or resident evil 0

i like arcade shooters and classic re but i still have plenty of stuff to do replaying REmake and re2 and i do still have re3 and cvx to play so i might go with gw3 instead

I liked RE0 more than GW3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Never thought I'd be comparing the two..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Same but man RE0 is like the exact point where Capcom clearly lost what direction to take Resisnet Evil and it’s story until the RE4 reboot Zombie leeches bring back a murdered old man and turn him into a young anime heart throb in flowing white robes who controls them via opera

It's not any worse than Code Veronica

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

RIP Verranicus.

Who?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

congrats to tqh nordic on acquiring sam and max

This is what I was gonna Post

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

idk who u are lol

Owned

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i never played it but you might be thinking of resident evil 4

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's the good PS2 Star Ocean game, if there are any.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

star ocean 3 is the only one on the ps2 and none of the games in the entire series are good

Yeah I looked into it and it seems like if I wanted to play any of them 2 is the only interesting one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well he's not as bad as Hyper Savage Jho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I know the year still isn't over yet and there's still a handful of games till to come out, including Smash Bros, but Celeste is still the best game of the year in case anyone was wondering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKnwVvXkWq0

its Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The best game I played in 2018 was probably DDS2 or REO2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked bloodborne too, people who work at KojiPro.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Looks more like the giant thing at the end of Demon's Souls, really.

its a gold amygdala

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

It's Dragon Quest 11

I will likely agree with this once I play it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

b_d posted:

curious what the miyamoto photo (miyaphoto) is from

its the first time he saw the fire emblem phone game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I guess Resident Evil is on sale this weekend, I bought Operation Racoon City for a laugh and downloaded some mods for 5, which should be fun enough. I'm still waiting on RE7 VR support to come to PC, although I know that'll probably never happen.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been meaning to pick up REmake on PC to try the randomizer mods.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

axelblaze posted:

I've seen such hosed things on the internet related to the Mario series that waifu bowser barely even seems worth noting

Unrelated, I've been behind on things lately but heard that the Mega Man 11 demo was surprisingly great. Was thst actually the case? ( I haven't had a chance to try it myself)

it was only one level but it was fairly awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not surprised the person behind MVCI Chun Li made such an ugly image

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't read it bc it was about superhero movies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

lmao how would this even work

It's simple just keep coding

Adbot