Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

It’s actually kind of weird that we all happily buy the same game multiple times just because they’re on different systems. Sometimes they’re not even remasters

its called consumerism friend and its wretched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I mean... I don't do that. Maybe it's because I'm poor

same. the only game i can remember buying twice is chrono trigger for the snes and ds

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

kingdoms of amalur was fun but extremely flawed. the game balance was completely hosed and it had tons and tons of voiced dialogue but most of it was incredibly boring. every town had lots of fully voiced nps you could talk to just because and they all said the same boring crap in slightly different ways. a mindboggling waste of time and effort

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

they also did the same thing for "i don't want that", when you try to give them a random inventory object

they even had gillian anderson and david duchovny record those responses, which is a wild amount of effort for an FMV game especially one that only has mulder and scully in it for 1/6th of the game

that was the first computer game i ever owned. my dad inexplicably bought it for me despite the fact neither of us ever watched an episode of the xfiles. sadly i never got it to work

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

I wouldn't get any sub-$400 laptop that doesn't at least have an i5

also dont get acomputer with windows 10 and only 4gb of ram

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Andrast posted:

I thought the story in Warcraft 3 was the raddest poo poo when I was 13.

I'm never going to replay it because it will inevitably be terrible

its dumb as hell but arthas putting on the lich king helm and saying "now we are one" is still cool to me

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The joke is that the big evil corporation is using passive-aggressive workplace jargon to invite literal Hell on Earth, not that demons = immigrants or w/e. This is clear to anyone who is familiar with Doom 16's brand of satire.

“Earth is the melting pot of the universe,”
“let’s make our friends feel welcome in their new home,”
“Remember, ‘demon’ can be an offensive term, refer to them as ‘mortally challenged.’”

its 3 jokes that could have easily come from a guy with a pepe avatar if you change a single word. they are not even good jokes, and its clearly a parody of college liberals not corporations. i mean how often do you see corporations going off about melting pots

when i first heard about the doom thing i thought it was only the one about demons being mortally challenged which yeah you can kinda read as mocking corporate speak if you squint. but 3 of them in a small slice of gameplay? at the very least its extremely questionable in the current political climate. the melting pot one is just inexcusable imo

babypolis fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 10, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

yeah uh it's parodying how corporations co-opt liberal speak while stripping their workers of everything and ask that they literally submit their souls to satan and you fell for it hook line and sinker

lmao thats not how a corporation would co-opt liberal speak. a corporation would say some poo poo about diversity and breaking barriers and exploring new ideas some garbage like that. if its supposed to mock corporate speak its extremely badly done

again you can kinda squint and make the joke about demons be about corporation but even then it doesnt work, a corporation wouldnt acknowledge theres such a thing as demons, they would say some poo poo like "ignore any rumors about so called "demons" if you see anything unusual report it to hr and continue with your duites blah blah". taken by itself it could be just an akward joke but when in the hell would you see a corporation talking about melting pots? thats a phrase used exclusively to talk about society.

imo it seems like willfull ignorance to deny the clear resemblance to the way fascists talk about immigrants. its a really poor choice of word at best and really loving disgusting at worst

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i mean the issue with the whole doom eternal thing is that we don't really have the full context for the whole scene yet and presented entirely out of the game's context it's really easy to read lines like that both ways because it's impossible to say whether doom eternal even holds onto the same general point that doom 16 does without, having the full video game to play and look at

what context do you need? they are clearly throwaway jokes and the resemblance to anti immigrant speech is undeniable. like i said at best its just really inappropriate and dumb and at worst its fascist propaganda

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

man, starship troopers got me super psyched to join the army and kill some evil bugs!

if you want to be a complete moron about it thats cool too

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/search?q=%20melting%20pot&src=typd

look at all these people talking about corporations! wow was i wrong

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Given two scenarios, one in which a PR sounding VO is parodying overly politically correct corpo-speak and one in which the ID writers for DOOM are finally getting a chance to insidiously sneak their fascist views into a game trailer, I choose to believe the one that gets me maddest.

once again thats now how loving corporations speak. as a parody its horrible

meanwhile this is the kind of statements an alt righter would mock

"lets welcome syrian refugees into their new home"

"america is a melting pot"

which one is more similar to the jokes in DOOM

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

id like someone to show me a single loving example of a corporation talking about refugees and melting pots

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Welcome to the internet the past year. Everyone's a secret alt right fascist now, with some things VERBOTEN to parody

V holy poo poo lol America has been called a melting pot, fondly, for loving generations. It's a good thing.

yeah so why the gently caress parody it like that?? why juxtapose it with bad things happening?

i wonder who else likes to do stuff like that...

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

UAC doesn't operate on the same scale as the corporations we know. They're like Weyland-Yutani, closer to a government structure than a business-organization. In that sense (especially considering the whole "demons invading Earth" thing is 100% their fault) it makes total sense to me that they'd have some kind of "life with demons" presentation for their employees on Earth.

yeah that just makes the fascist overtones more blatant. its not hard to find some pepe guy saying basically the same thing about germany letting refugees in or whatever the gently caress

like werent we just talking about how incredibly racist gamers are a few pages ago? and now everyone finds the idea of a fash game writer inserting some fash jokes into their game completely unbelievable?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

man you think that's bad, in the wolfenstein series the nazi's have taken over america

how can one person be this loving dense christ

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lol goons like doom so i guess everyone will gloss over some pretty lovely jokes, cool cool cool

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

the joke sucks but it feels way more likely they're just ludicrously out of touch tonedeaf 47 year olds like most aaa video game writers. why the hell is doom trying to do political commentary anyway. it's doom.

sure i could buy that. still extremely lovely and inappropriate in the current political climate

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the current political climate is why the joke is good, and well written, actually

no shut the gently caress up and think about what your dumb rear end brain is saying for one second in your life

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

it just reminds me of the aug lives matter poo poo from mankind divided in terms of an aaa company having literally zero idea what it's doing but knowing there's a Politics happening, somewhere

black lives matter is way more mainstream that what is being referenced here tho, imo

Cowcaster posted:

you realize the uac are the bad guys, right

yeah and they are using the same language a liberal would use to refer to immigrants. can you not see the loving correlation here??? is your brain too diseased???

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

yes, that's what the bad guys do? they take the words that sound good to liberals and use them to couch xenophobic and genocidal ideologies in terms liberals like?

yeah thats whats going on here. clearly doom is a complex critique of capitalism coopting revolutionary language. jesus loving christ

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

extremely online leftists often get very mad about inconsequential things in video games and other media due to their overwhelming impotence in every aspect of life that matters

sounds like every human being alive friend

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

I work for the government and that's totally the language that's used. Every month there's some reflective email on diversity and how the federal government employs people and foreign nationals from all around the world including asylum seekers (granted the number of these emails took a sharp decline around February 2017). The irony of course being a lot of these foreign nations the government regularly recruits from (Vietnam, Korea, Pakistan) have a history of being crushed by Imperial powers.

I don't really know where this conversation is headed but the important thing about the UAC is that they acknowledge demons exist and are the inevitable result of solving earth's energy crisis. Doom 2016 from the very beginning shows that their entire corporate structure and corporate facing was built around dealing with hell. The message here isn't a jab at social justice, it's a corporation saying "keep calm and carry on" because energy is more important than flesh eating demons.

you said it yourself, they talked about diversity and inclusivity and what not. they dont refer to the workplace as a melting pot because thats a weird use of the phrase

same thing with your second paragraph, a corp would say things like "demons? there are no such things as demons! just ignore the hellish visions and carry on!!" they wouldnt go say poo poo like welcome our demon friends

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

no i have not and i didnt know that. guess that makes the joke make a bit more sense but still super gross

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

wow it's almost like getting all your opinions secondhand from fifth-rate twitterati makes you sound like a dumbass

no ones talking about doom 2016 dumbass. other than missing out on that bit of context what does it matter? doesnt change my mind on how lovely those jokes are

but keep railing agaisnt some invisible ghost i guess (i dont even like twitter)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the reason the uac is espousing fascist bullshit is because the uac are fascists, hth

im not a loving moron i have absorbed enough context to get the basic plot of doom 2016. we return to the same point: why are the fascist bad guys using liberal language? you say its a mockery of corps coopting liberal language, i say thats convoluted and dumb and so on as far as we want to keep this farce going

DLC Inc posted:

jesus christ lol

i really dont see why its so relevant to the discussion of its sequel?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

look i know im way over reacting here but this kinda stuff sickens me and i dont like it seeing anywhere near a AAA game. games that explicity appeal to chuds is something that could easily happen in the near future and i dunno i just see this kinda stuff as a harbinger of that

ill stop know, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with politics bullshit

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

don't worry friend the call of duty series isn't going anywhere anytime soon

sorry for being mad at you cowcaster i think ur cool but i strongly disagree with your interpretation here, should have left it at that instead of melting down

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You're seeing chuds where there are none. What sickened you exactly and when was the last time you went outside

im mexican so not a whole lot. doesnt mean theres plenty of reason for me to fear the rising tide of fascism in the us

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

always be talking about politics imo

I'm reasonably sure the people who whinge about politics infesting their favorite thread are the ones with the dumbest opinions, or at least have their heads firmly stuck in the sand

ehh theres a whole forum for talking about politics and its also everywhere outside the forums so having a space safe of that constant stress is good imo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

yeah this is the actual chud-pandering lol

esp. since fromsoftware were hesitant about localizing metal wolf chaos *because* they didnt want to tie it to politics

i dunno theres a significant chunk of change waiting in there. right now its not worth alienating half your playerbase and getting a bunch of bad press but if things continue to get more and more polarized? who knows

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

youtube is a machine made to turn 12 year old boys into nazis

and toddlers into... whatever the gently caress is the result of subjecting a young brain to all those videos where elsa from frozen gets spiderman pregnant

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

doomguy has very strong opinions about family court

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

chumbler posted:

This is the only good thing on the internet.

having a famous pet is its own kind of hell

cant find the article that talked about it but some of these pets make loads of money, so you can imagine all the hosed up financial incentives going on there

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

My college roommate used to play Kirby exclusively back in Melee and he was so drat good at eating people, then jumping off the stage, shooting them to the right, and floating back up. If you knew what you were doing it wasn't impossible to recover but most of us didn't so he would fuckin clean up with that poo poo

the day me and my brothers discovered yoshi could turn people into eggs and throw em off the stage was magical

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

it seems like the switch 'drought' is pretty much over now, as they now have AAA support (EA with sportz, 2K with Civ, Ubisoft with Starlink), and AA devs like Cities Skylines, on top of the first party games

that being said I still mostly only care about the indie games, especially because game discounts on Switch are, well.... welll.... wellllll...... welllllllll

I really wanna buy a switch but these international prices are... geez louise

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Verranicus posted:

So close to being done with Wildstar. I just want to finish the main story. Unfortunately the main story quests also seem to be the worst, longest quests they could come up with. One zone left to go and I can uninstall this mess.

Need to make room for RIFT and Age of Conan!

why would you do this to yourself

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Featuring a completely normal pronunciation of "orb"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNjxi1-qTE&t=922s

There's some more examples of the voice talent around 5:55

oh god that music, its insanely jarring

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i dont think verranicus is a troll i think he geniuenly has weird and terrible opinions and just revels in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

the autistic girl in the walking dead season 2 is maybe the worst writing ive ever seen in any video game, ever. dad acting like autism is some impossible to explain malady handed down by elder gods, there being a way to 'save' her but then she dies three minutes later randomly for no reason, everyone acting like she's better off dead

in the actual show a traumatized little girl is executed because shes too messed up to take care for so it sounds par for the vourse

• Locked thread