Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i had ghost babel on the game boy and i stopped playing it at the cardboard box maze which i think is the same story for literally 99.99% of the people who played ghost babel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that massive destiny 2 overhaul is coming out today i think and i have determined that it is completely impossible to get a short, coherent comparison of what you get without paying the $30 opt-in fee versus what you do

edit: $40 opt-in fee

edit: $70 opt-in fee if you want the additional expansions coming out over the course of the next year

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 4, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

FWIW i'm taking the risk, betting that the new PvP mode will be good but that there won't be enough PvE content or there will be enough bugs to drive me away within, oh... two weeks, that's my guess

i don’t want to throw $70 at it because if certain stars align i might get the stuff for free but i also don’t want to play without the expansion if i’m stuck 300 levels below everyone else with guns that don’t work

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, even when i was playing it i never actually did any of the highest end content because it's literally mandatory you create a premade group of either 3 or 6 people to do any of it and i only have a couple of friends who were even playing destiny 2 and generally not at the same time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know about german but on the sa forums i think that we use :sever:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Verranicus posted:

You can run endgame stuff like dungeons and raids with random people.

nightfalls and raids both require premade groups. very technically raids have a matchmaking function but last i checked it you legitimately had to run it for upwards of 20 minutes in order to use it to put together a group. also i think you might have to spend some kind of tokens to even use it?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I'm basically pinning most of my hopes for this on

- The core gameplay/gunplay is still fun
- Gambit mode, previewed a few days ago, is REALLY fun

my one friend who was still actively playing destiny gave the free weekend of gambit a shot and is super psyched about it, but also she's my one friend who has been actively playing destiny ever since launch so i'm taking that with a heavy grain of salt.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

loev 2 jack off into a rift

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

considering VR had a big flash in the pan in the mid-90's, before it resurfaced in the 2010's, and amount it evolved since then, i would predict decent vr games in the year 2040

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of, a couple of partygoers at the place i was hanging out this weekend put on david cronenberg's eXistenZ to watch and i only caught bits and pieces of it but it looked like a hoot and a holler.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur is the most boring fake looking game I've ever seen or played and it always baffled me that somebody could have played it for longer than the tutorial and not actually be a character in a Law and Order episode.

yeah it seemed almost contemptibly generic to me from what i remember but to each their own

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what if they burn your house down

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wildstar was the mmo that put all its eggs in the "the original release of world of warcraft sans any of the quality of life improvements it's made over its 15 year lifetime was the best version of world of warcraft" basket, right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

It's hard to fault them given the tremendous success of Lawbreakers as an old-school team arena shooter.

:wow:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Death Stranding the game will inevitably be a disappointment to many. Death Stranding the social experiment where Hideo Kojima takes $100 million of Sony's money to make Lea Seydoux and Norman Reedus be friends with him has been very successful so far.

i'm hoping death stranding is kojima's killer7 myself

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rarity posted:

Spoiler: he gets corrupted and turns evil

hey hey hey

sometimes SHE gets corrupted and turns evil too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wouldn't the corruption of an evil person be turning them good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

someone get chris metzen on the phone

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

I thought the story in Warcraft 3 was the raddest poo poo when I was 13.

I'm never going to replay it because it will inevitably be terrible

i will brook no libel against the artistry of chris metzen, genius savant of writing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Chris Metzen is a hack, but for 20 years he honestly lived the dream of making millions of people become obsessed with his lovely D&D campaigns, and for that I can never hate him.

hey what did i just say

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

Is chris metzen the one responsible for the writing of diablo 1 and 2, because I thought it was real neat how the plot of 2 was just "hey the playable characters in the first game all hosed up and now you have to put up with their poo poo"

he wasn't head writer of the entirety of blizzard at that point (bill roper was still around in those days) but i think diablo 1 was mainly his baby and i assume he worked in some capacity on 2

and yes, the heroes of diablo 1 being corrupted in diablo 2 and being the villains? that earns the chris metzen seal of approval

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

It was a really long time ago, but IIRC when you defeat Diablo it's revealed that that Diablo was also an old adventurer with the stone jammed in his head and that's the only way to contain his soul and keep him from fully manifesting. So your character, because he's such a noble self-sacrificing hero, decides to become the next one and protect the world from Diablo for another couple of decades. Until his will falters and someone else has to go on a quest to kill him, which is what happens in Diablo 2.

it was a combination of this and good ol' fashioned "oh i'm clearly stronger than the guy before me, i definitely can contain it" hubris

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

plus what else are you going to do with a big glowing pointy rock you found but jam it in your forehead jeez

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Hundreds of years ago Diablo and his main bros were imprisoned in soulstones by the Horadrim. They figured out that the Lords of Hell would just keep coming back if they killed them outright, so kept their essences bound within magic crystals that would keep them from rematerializing. As it turns out this was an imperfect plan, and over time the soulstones began to lose their grip on the Prime Evils. Diablo was the first to break free and manipulated the Archbishop Lazarus with mind magic into convincing King Leoric to build his kingdom in Tristram near the monastery where he was imprisoned. Over time he eventually possessed King Leoric's son and sought to use him as a vessel to re-enter the world. When the hero of Tristram kills Diablo, the soulstone is left behind and about to break open with purestrain Diablo, so thinking quickly he sticks it into his forehead with the hope of containing him for some time, like how Tal'Rasha had to do with Baal's soulstone. This doesn't work, and we get Diablo 2.

i'm operating on half-remembered reading of the manual 25 years ago but i also think that diablo, being the lord of terror and all, drove albrecht from his bed with nightmares down to the bottom floor of the cathedral where the soulstone is whereupon he slammajams that sweet sweet rock right into his forehead

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

everybody's doing it what are you gonna be the only person in the diablo universe not to smash a prime evil right into the old frontal lobe

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

every day i wake up and open palm slap a soulstone into my forehead it's diablo the prime evil etc. etc.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Really Pants posted:

just put the soulstones in a bag or something

what is the human skull if not a stiff, brittle kind of bag

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what the gently caress

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i survived working as an administrator during this university’s last day of add/drop and all i got was this brain hemorrhage

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone who likes space sims mainly for the space dogfighting i’d probably like the ace combat series but as a console series i’ll never know

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m far too old and moldbrained to figure out how to emulate things these days. last title i successfully emulated was kirby for the original wii

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there’s playstation emulators besides epsxe? i remember when this was all meadows, far as the eye could see

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also more seriously i love me a retro game and all but deep diving to play playstation 1 games when i have 80,000 unplayed steam games would leave me more disgusted with myself than usual

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

epsxe has been the worst one for like five years

ok i told you the last time i emulated something was for the original wii and that was definitely more than 5 years ago

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

No emulator that expects you to gently caress with plugins can be called "good" though sometimes there is no good emulator for a console

a fault the playstation, nintendo ds, and wii emulators i used all had. i think.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn’t use desmume because it didn’t work on my computer at the time but i’ll be damned if i could remember what it was

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not counting me replaying symphony of the night a few years back which was done with the epsxe i had already set up the last time i hosed around with it could legitimately be around 2008-2009 so there’s a 10 year anniversary coming up. still remains nearly the only way i’ve played any playstation 1 games at all though including tomba and symphony of the night so it was worth it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i said nearly because the playstation 1 in the house growing up was bought by my sister with her saved-up allowance so it was up to her discretion when i got to play it, which hastily became “never” when she was going through the 100 floor chrysler building dungeon in parasite eve while i was jumping around on the couch and then i did a wicked backflip off of and rolled the landing onto the disc tray open button ruining her run at like floor 90.

i share this anecdote with you, the something awful forums, because i literally just remembered it for the first time in 20 years and it’s funny as hell

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was the PS1 OK

not only was it ok the game kept running even though the lid opened (which i now understand was because the data was already loaded but whatever) so i closed it thinking that would fix it and while she could run around the game had basically lost her place and wouldn’t respond to any triggers. from what i remember anyway like i said it was 20 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

had i landed that backflip differently maybe i would’ve finished final fantasy seven and loved jrpgs to this day, but probably not because man i just do not like jrpgs

• Locked thread