Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh, there's a new Dragon Quest coming? And it's coming to PC?

Maybe this is a chance for me to like a classic styled RPG again, it's been a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, there's a new Dragon Quest coming? And it's coming to PC?

Maybe this is a chance for me to like a classic styled RPG again, it's been a really long time.

of course i say this having played like an hour??? of octopath traveler

i feel guilty about that but honestly every time i pick the switch up i put it down again and i don't know why

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

still want a fun new mmofps

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

didn't that poo poo the bed hyper-hard

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dangit why am i sitting here bored insteada playin a game? :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Choice paralysis?

As usual, yeah. Miserable first world pain in the rear end, that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kiiiinda tempted to buy into destiny 2 pc now because it sounds like the upcoming expansion is pretty legit? but idk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I thought he had a comically large GBA SP to play Pokemon Blue with before watching this and then was immediately disappointed.

absolutely same

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Andrast posted:

Stop projecting, not every gamer is like you

please do not sign you are posts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

tfw you look up hentai games with wireless onahole controllers as a joke, and ebay continues to send you deals on onaholes weeks later. massive self own

this is my phobia

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

that massive destiny 2 overhaul is coming out today i think and i have determined that it is completely impossible to get a short, coherent comparison of what you get without paying the $30 opt-in fee versus what you do

edit: $40 opt-in fee

edit: $70 opt-in fee if you want the additional expansions coming out over the course of the next year

FWIW i'm taking the risk, betting that the new PvP mode will be good but that there won't be enough PvE content or there will be enough bugs to drive me away within, oh... two weeks, that's my guess

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Dragon Quest XI is live now on Steam. :f5:

I'm tempted. But D2 Forsaken is opening in half an hour :supaburn:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm basically pinning most of my hopes for this on

- The core gameplay/gunplay is still fun
- Gambit mode, previewed a few days ago, is REALLY fun

I expect to be disappointed, frankly, but

well

Gambit is REALLY fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Going to the gym and then jacking into the Rift for Zone of the Enders 2 VR hell freakin' yeah!

wait is this for real

also is it a seated thing, my back is out so i haven't watched the VR thread in months

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

my one friend who was still actively playing destiny gave the free weekend of gambit a shot and is super psyched about it, but also she's my one friend who has been actively playing destiny ever since launch so i'm taking that with a heavy grain of salt.

totally fair

and tbh you're more right to be skeptical than i am, but i've spent more money on worse decisions and i wanted to play some mmofps :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

yes, gamepad required and it's seated VR experience so no worries about back strain

oh my god

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i still don't know if vr is going to expand much beyond its current niche of "expensive but cool gimmick at best" but I sincerely hope it does, and encourage people in here who haven't yet to give it a try with a friend, or a store demo, or whatever else

it really is something, to wear one of those things and work in room scale with controllers, that can't be described in words

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

one of the weird things for me about VR tho is that I perceive depth better with my Vive on than I do looking at the real world

I'm amblyopic, so I shouldn't be getting any 3D picture at all (besides that implied by things like parallax and expected sizes), but for some reason I can actually visualize depth in some situations while wearing the headset

One of these days I'm actually gonna hit up a proper eye doctor and look into that some more

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

VR has three big things working against it right now -- you have to wear a big doofy headset to experience it, the visuals aren't up to current gen standards, and it causes motion sickness for many people. And you won't know if you're bothered by most of these things until you buy an expensive peripheral for yourself.

Yeah it definitely has the problem where word of mouth isn't quite enough; you have to experience it to be able to see if any of these three problems are a bother. 25 years ago that'd be fine, you'd go find a friend or store that had it; nowadays in the age of the Internet it's easier to not be bothered and just settle for a video

Which explains nothing about what it's like to become so immersed in VR you forget about reality for a brief moment, or how liberating that feeling is (at least to me, but hey, games are escapism, and what is VR if not an alternative universe)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Had a surprisingly great time playing the new Destiny 2 expansion all day yesterday. The encounters I've seen so far have been surprisingly fun and challenging, and I'm hugely looking forward to their heroic/endgame modes

How's DQ11 turning out? JRPG soul food, like that one Kotaku video insists?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

https://meh.com/

Anybody have any opinions on this laptop? Are the specs good for the price

i'd argue you can do better for the price, depending on whether you want a tablet or laptop (don't try to get both in one device, especially in Windows form, unless it's literally a Surface device)

that said i'd never buy anything from this site because what in the hell is going on

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh i guess it's woot

everything old is new again

shite writing for a storefront though, i don't care for the gimmick

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Debating whether I want to start DQ11 or play more destiny 2 today

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Colonel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgL5yZ-O9vA

every time i come back to dynamite headdy's ost it's still the best ost on the mega drive

:yeah:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

This fad is amazingly funny :newlol:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

listening to one video game song on loop at high volume at work today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcc16o0SaY

it's a good song

good taste club :hfive:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier Ayesha wasn't perfect and I think the same ideas and team could have resulted in a slightly stronger game if made today (mostly just through clarity of player goals) but I think it's cracked my top 5 JRPGs. If it had had a more involved crafting system like Sophie or Lydie and Suelle I think it would have been my favorite JRPG period

e: for clarity, I just finished it last night. The "clarity of player goals" thing is mostly just e being annoyed that I missed out of Keithgriff's friendship events because I saved Nio first

I still haven't played an Atelier game but I keep meaning to. Enter my headspace when I'm playing/addicted to something else

Sucks about missing those events though, I hate game design flubs like that because I almost never replay games, even those I adore

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

I would love to see just how Nintendo is reacting to everything that has happened in the last week or so.

Cooler heads will prevail and this, too, shall pass like all fads

Especially when they remember the following fact:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I've got L&S hanging around. I'm mostly a PC guy out of convenience nowadays :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ok my last contribution to the bowsette thing is sharing this tweet

https://twitter.com/ivanpapiol/status/1044177081729523712

step on me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if my brother has anything to say about it you come back from the air force a drunk, toxic, angry human being no matter who you are

i assume the same is generally true in most militaries and similar agencies

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This Bowsette thing has gotten way out of hand

nah this all still seems utterly normal and Internet to me

unexpected subject, i grant, but this fad'll still die in about a week just like they all do on the internet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tbh if I were at all artistically inclined I’d join in but I have legitimately no good idea of exactly why the subject appeals to me, save that it does do so

I’m a boob guy though so I guess I have to acknowledge it could just be that, though writing so makes me feel pretty skeevy :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Andrast posted:

liking boobs isn’t bad

I’m sure it’s not but I’m prudish as hell by nature and living in a culture that taught me that Sex Is Evil has probably warped my brainmeats permanently

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

representing transitioning as a magic switch you can flip and have gigantic cans and a sexy body so straight people can honk off to you is bad, though

yeah I can see someone with gender dysphoria being upset about the bowsette-transgender take

I’m still somewhat miffed by Celeste and it’s hamfisted depression thing, personally, though some fellow sufferers appreciated it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In conclusion mental health is a land of contrasts,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

No Wave posted:

maybe the true ending of celeste should just be for the game to start over again a few days later.

Exactly

ugh makes me angry to even think about

• Locked thread