Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

J_RBG posted:

you already have to know how to answer them to answer them.

It's absolutely possible to learn how to do them, as can be seen by the existence of people who know how to do them.

e: Request to be bussed from scene of battle (4,2,5) (well nearly)

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Oh are we doing things newspapers are going to regret publishing?

A mostly predictable list of people posted:

We have long had serious concerns about the lack of due impartiality and accuracy in the reporting of allegations of antisemitism against Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour party. The recent report by the Media Reform Coalition examining coverage of Labour’s revised code of conduct on antisemitism shows that we are right to be concerned.

The research examined over 250 articles and broadcast news segments and found over 90 examples of misleading or inaccurate reporting. In relation to the IHRA definition of antisemitism that was at the heart of the dispute, the research found evidence of “overwhelming source imbalance” in which critics of Labour’s code of conduct dominated coverage, with nearly 50% of Guardian reports, for example, failing to include any quotes from those defending the code or critiquing the IHRA definition. Moreover, key contextual facts about the IHRA definition – for example that it has only been formally adopted by eight countries (and only six of the IHRA member states) – were consistently excluded.

The researchers conclude these were not occasional lapses in judgment but “systematic reporting failures” that served to weaken the Labour leadership and to bolster its opponents within and outside of the party.

It is of course entirely appropriate and necessary for our major news outlets to report on the horrors of antisemitism, but wrong to present it as an issue specific to the Labour party.

In covering the allegations that Labour is now “institutionally antisemitic”, there have been inaccuracies, clear distortions and revealing omissions across our most popular media platforms. We believe that significant parts of the UK media have failed their audiences by producing flawed reports that have contributed to an undeserved witch-hunt against the Labour leader and misdirected public attention away from antisemitism elsewhere, including on the far right, which is ascendant in much of Europe.

Not seeing Labour or Momentum push this yet but it'd be nice if they got on it, shouldn't allow the media to pull the same bullshit they pulled when LSE came out a few years back and demonstrated a coordinated propaganda campaign against a left-wing Labour party.

I'll throw in the non academic post signatories, they're outnumbered by uni bods:
Prof Noam Chomsky
Brian Eno
Francesca Martinez
Yanis Varoufakis
Ken Loach
Raoul Martinez
Jenny Manson Jewish Voice for Labour
Leah Levane Jewish Voice for Labour
Lindsey German Stop the War Coalition
Mike Cushman Free Speech on Israel
Glyn Secker Jewish Voice for Labour

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Julio Cruz posted:

"Transsexual attention-seeker appearing in market".

Is this the part that if I were an attention seeking nobody on twitter, I would say Yikes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W9rJTjZnRo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cryptic crosswords are stupid because why would you spend time learning to darmok and jalad at tanagra with the loving crossword writer?

What kind of loving skill is that?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Julio Cruz posted:

e: Request to be bussed from scene of battle (4,2,5) (well nearly)

Kiss me Hardy?

Crosswords are fun and also social. Did great things to restore my relationship with my mother after a rocky patch when I was young.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 30, 2018

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

What the christ?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1046515366757900288
tl:dr: Tories have quietly slipped out billions in stealth cuts to public services by announcing that from 2020 public employers like the NHS and the police will have to contribute more towards employee pensions. Meaning that money goes straight out of their budget and back to the treasury.

Excellent timing for this story to drop though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

Kiss me Hardy?
See I'd have gone for "Solicitation to go down West Country" as the clue for that.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

OwlFancier posted:

Cryptic crosswords are stupid because why would you spend time learning to darmok and jalad at tanagra with the loving crossword writer?

That episode of Inside No. 9 was great though.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Julio Cruz posted:

Are you able to provide a photo of it? Just for the sake of proof.

Catboy Autonomist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 1, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

Kiss me Hardy?

Crosswords are fun and also social. Did great things to restore my relationship with my mother after a rocky patch when I was young.

That's what I got, though I'm not 100% happy with it, unless there's a Battle of Hardy I'm not familiar with.

OwlFancier posted:

Why bother spending time learning to do anything? Because some people find it fun.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
e: it's 3 down

(forgive my truly awful handwriting)

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 30, 2018

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That kind of lateral thinking is actually useful in lots of fields, to the point that the Telegraph ran a special competition crossword that was actually a screening test - people who successfully completed it and sent it in were considered for employment at Bletchley Park.

This makes it a considerably more useful skill than those granted by any of my hobbies (video games, drinking heavily, and crywanking, although my ability to combine the three is at least impressive if not useful).

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That kind of lateral thinking is actually useful in lots of fields, to the point that the Telegraph ran a special competition crossword that was actually a screening test - people who successfully completed it and sent it in were considered for employment at Bletchley Park.

are you sure that wasnt just a sneaky way of ensuring that they only hired tories?

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Got into a welfare debate with my fashdad recently. He doesn’t believe he should pay for public education. Also thinks it’s wrong that our next door neighbour’s daughter has 2 young kids and lives in a semi detached house paid for by welfare.

Also believes he is entitled to his pension because he’s paid in his whole life, although my mum hasn’t but she should still receive hers in full.

I dunno...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Julio Cruz posted:

As a trans gal

:lol:

It's so blatantly out of touch it's barely even offensive, I just can't muster it up, it's like my nan ranting about how gollywogs definitely aren't racist they're just dolls. Yes nan, I know, just dolls, blah blah.

The DPRK posted:

Got into a welfare debate with my fashdad recently. He doesn’t believe he should pay for public education. Also thinks it’s wrong that our next door neighbour’s daughter has 2 young kids and lives in a semi detached house paid for by welfare.

Also believes he is entitled to his pension because he’s paid in his whole life, although my mum hasn’t but she should still receive hers in full.

I dunno...

Just hammer him on what exactly he thinks the world would look like if we didn't have loving schools. Like, yeah m8, real galaxy brain work there, even if you "shouldn't" have to pay for it, there's a very good pragmatic reason to pay for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1046458734841655296

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

It's enfuriating that the idea that the Tories are more responsible with public funds still exists when they loving love stupid meaningless vanity projects.

Arguing "we should cut taxes and reduce spending and also make this really fancy boat for the queen" should get you laughed and sworn at.

The Garden Bridge and the Emirates whateveritscalled again which were both giant boondoggles push for by the Tory Legernd.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

gently caress Mephisto, long live Crosaire imo

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Hot crossword takes

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Imagine how vile this dork is with the mask off.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Catboy Autonomist posted:

is this how it feels to find out "poofter" was once used on a crossword in a major newspaper in 1976 or some poo poo

I always have to remind myself that Section 28 wasn't repealed until 2003 ad how much controversy there was about it at the time. Yeah, things are still messed up in so many ways but at least some things have progressed.

I'd be more surprised at the 80's example than the 70's one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Julio Cruz posted:

It's been said that the height of arrogance is doing the Sunday Times crossword in pen.

Regarde Aduck posted:

What mask?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Playing to his audience of humongous twats

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's been said that the height of arrogance is doing the Sunday Times crossword in pen.

Pencils don't work properly in the sauna.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ms Adequate posted:

Just hammer him on what exactly he thinks the world would look like if we didn't have loving schools. Like, yeah m8, real galaxy brain work there, even if you "shouldn't" have to pay for it, there's a very good pragmatic reason to pay for it.

I’m caught in a cycle of trying to save his stupid racist soul and just accepting that he’ll never change.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Munin posted:

I always have to remind myself that Section 28 wasn't repealed until 2003 ad how much controversy there was about it at the time. Yeah, things are still messed up in so many ways but at least some things have progressed.

I'd be more surprised at the 80's example than the 70's one.

I mean, I said as much in a subsequent post

The thing I said isn't actually something that happened to my knowledge, its just more of a hypothetical thing that I could see happening at the time that I'd compare to this

Ofc, the other example seems to be an actual anecdote....

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Suddenly gained respect for Marr, because not hauling off and smacking her one is better than I'd manage with someone trying this shite.

The DPRK posted:

I’m caught in a cycle of trying to save his stupid racist soul and just accepting that he’ll never change.

I hear the best way to do that is get rid of his access to shite fash media and introduce better stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving the choice of boris photo by i

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1046534195315724290

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ms Adequate posted:

I hear the best way to do that is get rid of his access to shite fash media and introduce better stuff.

Hmm, that could work actually. He shares a lot of “the browns should go back share if you agree” Facebook posts, and reads the Daily Express. Not sure how I’d prize those from his fingers but open to suggestions.

I try sending him articles but I know he doesn’t read them cos he says he hasn’t when I ask him.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ookiimarukochan posted:

Top rate of tax kicks in at 150k and even then it's only 45%. Lot of benefits that weren't means tested when the boomers got them go away from the top of the basic rate which is far more irritating than it is fiscally damaging (by the time you earn enough to not get any child benefit, for instance, you're at the point where you don't notice it)

Yes but you see when you factor in NI, Council tax, VAT etc they worked out they had less than half left. First percent first world problems.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

should have used his conference photo

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
If you earn more than £100k and complain about tax you go straight to the loving wall made of guillotines

NOTE: except in the case where we crash out of the EU with no deal, in which case £100k will be the price of a packet of monster munch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

If you earn more than £100k you go straight to the loving wall made of guillotines

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Holy gently caress that's appalling

Edit: also, if I'm being generous, a classic example of someone misunderstanding the many reasons people have to somewhat dehumanize themselves and submit to classification by a bigoted wider culture to make a life for themselves.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 1, 2018

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Oh I have my spot reserved but first I want to see the top fuckers get it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

I feel like while he’s undoubtedly racist, in the way all highborn Tories are, the core of his unpleasantness is rather more widely advertised, in that his company literally advertises it on their website:

quote:

Indeed we are proud that our culture of investment analysis goes beyond the narrow definition of non-financial factors found in ESG; it extends the categories of non-standard, non-financial analysis to legal, accounting, political, psychological and anthropological factors. However, although we will use environmental, social and governance factors as categories of analysis, with the exception of the legal boundaries, we make no claim to using environmental, social and governance concerns as tenets of ethics in the fashioning of investment returns.

Dude’s a pure, ice-cold disaster capitalist who would like nothing better than to add the U.K. to the list of third-world countries his ‘Emerging Markets Fund’ makes silly amounts of money from, and if that means that he has to move to a colonial fortress in New Zealand as the street fash burn his home country to the ground, then so be it. I mean, c’mon, he’s a rural MP propped up by farmers who rhapsodises about all the cheap foreign food the U.K. will be flooded with after Brexit. He’s not being subtle about this poo poo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Yes but you see when you factor in NI, Council tax, VAT etc they worked out they had less than half left. First percent first world problems.

Imagine having the total lack of self-awareness to be "I don't get to keep all of my 4-times-the-national-median salary :qq:"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"needs reading" so people see our most celebrated, top-flight interviewers are pish

at least paxman just repeated the question over and over instead of giving the impression some kind of dialogue was taking place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to know if our media is really this dumb and bad at their jobs or if they know exactly what they're doing. Maybe it's a mix and the bad ones don't realise that the the rest are just pretending to be idiots in order to push a narrative.

• Locked thread