Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Jeff Larentowicz is responsible for like every goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC United are making the God Damned Playoffs

That loss to Philly loving hurt, but those games in hand though.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
DC could gently caress up the playoff bracket the way things are looking now

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thanks DC!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
D.C. United...fun?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TwoStepBoog posted:

As an SKC fan, what in the absolute gently caress did Marshall get a red for.

EDIT: Should add that it looks kinda soft because there is hardly any force in it, but I'm not surprised VAR saw "studs at knee" and sent it down, and then, of course Toledo is gonna go red there because lol its toledo

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 3, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If your foot makes contact that high it's a red card these days. Studs to shin/knee is just always a red card. It's the kind of position that your foot should never be in if you're making a 50/50 challenge.

Considering where the ball is during the tackle that is 100% a red card. I don't understand how anyone could argue that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It was the follow through after he had cleared the ball out, but yeah he did catch him. Doubt it'll be overturned.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Here is is in streamable form

https://streamable.com/9y73b

Not a super lot of force, but like Shrapnig said, it's high contact and completely unsurprising VAR sent it down or that Toledo went with it.

Part of me, though, thinks it might be overturned because whoever the PRO representative on the IRP appears to be spineless and caves to pressure, based on some things that have been overturned. "He barely caught him" may actually win them over.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Soccer was on tonight.

NYC had 65% of the posession and took 28 shots against New England, so of course, this being MLS, they lost 0-1.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Soccer was on tonight.

NYC had 65% of the posession and took 28 shots against New England, so of course, this being MLS, they lost 0-1.

Just watched some of the highlights, looks like NE had a goal called back earlier as well. Bunch of wide open shots missed by NYCFC, against a goalie making his first start of the year.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

binge crotching posted:

Just watched some of the highlights, looks like NE had a goal called back earlier as well. Bunch of wide open shots missed by NYCFC, against a goalie making his first start of the year.

Maybe Torrent is a fraud who got by coasting on Guardiola's coattails.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why is Atlanta not showing as having clenched a playoffs spot on MLS's website?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

If Atlanta lose all of their remaining games and the next 5 teams down win all of their remaining games, they could still be knocked out.
It's pretty much impossible, but they won't mark them as in the playoffs until there is literally a 0% they miss them.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Specifically, MTL and DC need to win out in order to possibly push them out. ATL is at 54 points now. DC can hit 57, MTL can hit 54, but would have 17 wins, 1 more than ATL (NE can also hit 54 points, but face MTL on Decision Day, so both of them can't hit 54; plus NE would still lose the first tiebreaker of wins 14 to 16).

A single dropped point by MTL would clinch for ATL. A single loss by DC doesn't quite do it, but I don't foresee them making up a GD gap of >20 in 8 games.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 6, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Specifically, MTL and DC need to win out in order to possibly push them out. ATL is at 54 points now. DC can hit 57, MTL can hit 54, but would have 17 wins, 1 more than ATL (NE can also hit 54 points, but face MTL on Decision Day, so both of them can't hit 54; plus NE would still lose the first tiebreaker of wins 14 to 16).

A single dropped point by MTL would clinch for ATL. A single loss by DC doesn't quite do it, but I don't foresee them making up a GD gap of >20 in 8 games.

MTL & DC play each other, so DC would have to win every game but the MTL game, and then beat ATL on goal differential.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh right, I was only looking at New England and not D.C.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

DC United only have 4 subs on the bench today.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Half our roster is either injured or on international duty and we have a defender we signed off the street.

Let’s find out if Dome really IS a fraud.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TwoStepBoog posted:

DC United only have 4 subs on the bench today.

Everyone else is out on international duty I assume.

And it really sucks that the game is on twitter instead of an actual tv channel, but I'll still watch to see if DC can drop a big ole turd on Yankee Stadium.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I welcome the handy twitter stream and the fact that Chicago have another bye week

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

binge crotching posted:

And it really sucks that the game is on twitter instead of an actual tv channel, but I'll still watch to see if DC can drop a big ole turd on Yankee Stadium.

It's on Univision.

Speaking of, this is the first game I've watched on Univision this season without muting it, and the English language announcers are even worse than I remember!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

binge crotching posted:

Everyone else is out on international duty I assume.

It’s literally on Univision, and the announcers spent like two minutes talking incredulous poo poo on Kevin Ellis.

Also, if anyone has a clip of the Champions League theme playing over Ben Olsen staring, share with the class, that was transcendent

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ah, that's why I can't find it. I don't get Univision, so twitter is the only way I can watch it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

binge crotching posted:

Ah, that's why I can't find it. I don't get Univision, so twitter is the only way I can watch it.

I must be spoiled. Not getting Univision seems crazy to me.

I’ve had an antenna for seven years now and the wide variety of stupid poo poo I get for free in DC has been a source of regular comfort

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I remember when Sean Johnson was the Next Big Thing

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
that whole thing was hilariously funny

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Steven Birnbaum should never score on you. That’s like immediate grounds for dismissal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I turned that game off because I was bored and DC scored like three minutes later so, you're welcome Fancy.

(also the very best part of Canadian MLS Live moving to DAZN is that they use the Sky announcers whenever possible, which means I almost never have to hear Ramses Sandoval ruin a game now since Sky tends to cover the same games Univision does for some reason.)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I didn't pay attention to most of the first half, but this second one has been a real tale of two goalkeepers

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
That’s a lot of words to say BILL HAMID FOR AMERICA, comrade

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
HANDs oF sTEEL

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Well he did everything he could to keep DC ahead.

This announcer loving suuuuuucks

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
FEeT OF CLaY

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I’ll take that point though.

Makes Wednesday vs MIN a must win though.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids are in Portland and they’re playing out the string, again. This is painful. 1-0 Timbers at the half, probably should be 3-0. Shame Hudson is there until the end of 2019 at least.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

This is the soccer equivalent of batting practice.

Plenty has been said about Chara but I'm constantly amazed at his ability to stop and reach for the ball from full sprint without popping an ACL/MCL.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

2-0 Timbers at 68’. Frankly I’m surprised it’s not 4-0. It’s almost like the Rapids are afraid to try to make a play because if they miss they’ll be benched.

porkface posted:

This is the soccer equivalent of batting practice.

Plenty has been said about Chara but I'm constantly amazed at his ability to stop and reach for the ball from full sprint without popping an ACL/MCL.

I think that’s being generous. These guys suck and could finally win the spoon.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm not a fan of how this game is going.

Still think San Jose gets the Spoon though.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rapids subbed out a defender, and not one of the bad ones, for a 17 year old midfielder. Sure why not. Season’s over already.

• Locked thread