Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember this game having a pretty nasty bugs.

I have to agree as someone who plays a lot of Adventure games and read the books, a couple of those are on par with Cat Hair Mustache for stupidest puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Seeing the Watch without Captain Vimes is...weird. It feels like Carrot's characterisation has reverted back to very, very early Guards, Guards, too. Him having a Welsh accent is at least somewhat consistent with Discworld dwarves, maybe. Nobby's accent is a bit weird, though; Tony Robinson also did some of the audiobooks for the series, and his voice for Nobby is completely different.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Epicmissingno posted:

Him having a Welsh accent is at least somewhat consistent with Discworld dwarves, maybe.

Only the ones from Llamedos, like the Low King. There's no reason the Copperhead ones would sound Welsh.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I played 2 first and I loved it. It was frustrating, but quite funny and it's very good looking thanks to the more cartoonish style.
We got stuck the longest time in 2 locations. One of them being that there was an entire area to the right that isn't made clear so you can only find it if you move Rincewind to the edge of the screen, something you rarely have to do. The other was the dialogue tree.

I picked up 1 later during a garage sale and never managed to finish.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Epicmissingno posted:

Seeing the Watch without Captain Vimes is...weird. It feels like Carrot's characterisation has reverted back to very, very early Guards, Guards, too.
This game is a sort of alternative version of Guards! Guards! plus whatever other random elements from the other books they felt like throwing in there.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, Rincewind explores the Broken Drum and speaks to everyone inside and then collects the five items needed by the Arch-Chancellor. Act 1 is now complete, I'll begin Act 2 this weekend. I did record a video last week but due to sickness it turned out pretty poor, hence the long wait between updates.

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011
Sometimes I'm not sure whether they tried to make a Discworld game or a Monty Python game. For example, the conversation with the barman has elements from several Python sketches in it. Most clearly the Cheese Shop sketch. Personally, being a big fan of Monty Python, I don't mind this but for someone who is not familiar with the show it all may seem terribly confusing. And that's confusing on top of the already confusing bits of Discworld lore.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I expect that having one of the actors of Monty Python as Rincewind's voice is a big driver for the references.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Good to see you back RBD, I'm catchin up on this.

Naliamegod
Jul 13, 2018
I actually never read the Rincewind books. Is he this much of an rear end in the books or is it simply a game thing? His description of Nobby comes off as incredibly dickish especially since Nobby just looks like a normal person in this game. I feel like the humor would come off better if they had a King's Quest-style narrator instead of Rincewind talk about everything.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's very much a game thing. The Rincewind in the books is described as being such a coward he comes around on the other side as a hero. He's also a wizard incapable of casting magic because the spell to save the universe took residence in his head and there's no room for any other spells now.

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011

Naliamegod posted:

I actually never read the Rincewind books. Is he this much of an rear end in the books or is it simply a game thing? His description of Nobby comes off as incredibly dickish especially since Nobby just looks like a normal person in this game. I feel like the humor would come off better if they had a King's Quest-style narrator instead of Rincewind talk about everything.

Most of the descriptive text in the books is given by the narrator and the characters only do dialogue. Rincewind is mostly just a wizard bumbling about and not at all so dickish as a person. There are some points in the game where Rincewind really "sounds" like the Rincewind in the books but then there are points where it's just Eric Idle. The things in the game that are explained by the tourist character, Twoflower, coming on screen with a blackboard would be actual footnotes in the books. Eric Idle has a sharp voice and a sharp way of saying things which really comes out in this game. I think many of Rincewind's lines could be much more nuanced to make them work better, but then again, it's an adventure game from the nineties.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I loved that "I'm rich, I'm fabulously wealthy, I'm comfortably well off" line when I first heard it. In a Daffy Duck cartoon. That is a seriously egregious case of blatant plagiarism.

Naliamegod posted:

I actually never read the Rincewind books. Is he this much of an rear end in the books or is it simply a game thing?
He's pretty cynical in the books but not an arsehole. And wanting to go after the dragon's treasure is hugely out of character too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah if you told him there was a dragon's hoard in one direction he would set off in a completely different one at high speed. Later he would naturally fall into the dragon's cave by accident and come face to face with an angry dragon when he is genuinely just trying to leave without taking a single coin. But that's a different matter.

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I loved that "I'm rich, I'm fabulously wealthy, I'm comfortably well off" line when I first heard it. In a Daffy Duck cartoon. That is a seriously egregious case of blatant plagiarism.

Oh, yeah, that's where it's from. Thanks. For me it's been one of those cases of always thinking "This is from somewhere but can't remember exactly..." and then never bothering or remembering to really start finding out.

Tiggum posted:

He's pretty cynical in the books but not an arsehole. And wanting to go after the dragon's treasure is hugely out of character too.

Yeah, and I think his cynicism is mostly aimed at general happenings and the state of things and not directly at people. I kind of like the conversation with the Dunnyman where Rincewind makes observations when talking to the man and tries to make sense of it all. That dialogue is, for me at least, quite close to the original character.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Almost the first time we ever meet Rincewind, he immediately scams Twoflower out of a pile of gold and tries to skip town with it, so it's not entirely out of character... at least as long as he thought the dragon wouldn't be in the immediate vicinity.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Black Robe posted:

Almost the first time we ever meet Rincewind, he immediately scams Twoflower out of a pile of gold and tries to skip town with it, so it's not entirely out of character... at least as long as he thought the dragon wouldn't be in the immediate vicinity.

Yeah, but he thought two flower was a gullible sap and didn't know about the dangers of sentient luggage. This is a dragon's hoard, ostensibly guarded by a dragon. His entire character is about booking it from danger, he never runs towards it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, this is really the artifact of adapting a completely different story and putting Rincewind in Vimes' shoes - It would be in Vimes' character to be kind of an rear end - mainly from being a tired old cop who has seen about literally every excuse in the book, just not to the degree Game Rincewind can be.

But yeah overall, you have to treat Game Rincewind as a completely different character ("A Rincewind written by a less competent writer", to paraphrase Pratchett's explanation for Vetinari in the earlier books)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rincewind's cynicism seems to be limited to either narrative tropes (e.g. he sees a girl tied up to a pole, he's resigned that he has to save her because that's what the story demands, not any altruism) or the depths of human depravity*, which was kind of a foil to twoflower's optimism in the early books when they were paired up. "Game" Rincewind doesn't really have a foil like that so he comes off as pretty mean.

* Though in my mind this makes what he does at the end of Sourcery even more unexpected

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Welcome to Act 2... I will belay some frustrations with recording this video, it was an experience even with a walkthrough sitting next to me. It also brought back some stark memories of my youth from going into this segment, blind, for the first time.

Regarding Rincewind, he definitely is less of a dick in the books. The dialogue for both of the games was written by Gregg Barnett and Paul Kidd. I'm not exactly sure how much Terry Pratchett was involved in the writing process if he was at all, he was included in the credits but that might just be honourary. I'm sure that there would have been references to Monty Python even without Eric Idle, but the fact that he's one of the voice actors probably meant that they ramped them up even further. Wait until the second game, they unashamedly parody a scene from one of the Monty Python films.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Welcome to Act 2... I will belay some frustrations with recording this video, it was an experience even with a walkthrough sitting next to me. It also brought back some stark memories of my youth from going into this segment, blind, for the first time.
Some frustrations? :v:

Nice work getting through it. Beating this game without a walkthrough sounds absolutely abysmal to be honest.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This was about as far as my friends and I got in this game. We muddled our way through Act I in the end, and giving the gold to the shady guy in the library happened to work even though we didn't know why, but the idea of putting a butterfly in the lamp on the street just didn't occur to us at all until the Internet picked up and I was able to find a walkthrough. There is sort of a hint, but it's out of the way and so disconnected from the puzzle that you're not likely to put the pieces together, even if you do figure out the significance of the hint. (To find it, mess up history and then go back through L-space. You probably wouldn't even have noticed it if you didn't know what the solution was already.)

As for the hint that you need to stick the frog down Rincewind's throat, where did you get it from in the first place?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Wow, that butterfly's description was actively unhelpful! It's only quantum weather butterflies that cause storms like that, not lesser spotted Marmadukes or whatever. I guess I can see the hint from messing up the puzzle - the butterfly does something near the lamp, so try putting it near other lamps to see what it does there - but that's only with knowing the solution in advance. The frog puzzle is far worse, but at least not knowing about that means you probably get to see the butterfly hint.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

As for the hint that you need to stick the frog down Rincewind's throat, where did you get it from in the first place?

I'm not sure if there was one. I'm trying to remember whether there was a line about waking up with a frog in the throat or not, I could be imagining it as I can't seem to find it if there was one.

Epicmissingno posted:

Wow, that butterfly's description was actively unhelpful! It's only quantum weather butterflies that cause storms like that, not lesser spotted Marmadukes or whatever. I guess I can see the hint from messing up the puzzle - the butterfly does something near the lamp, so try putting it near other lamps to see what it does there - but that's only with knowing the solution in advance. The frog puzzle is far worse, but at least not knowing about that means you probably get to see the butterfly hint.

You are indeed correct. This seems to be a case of something referencing something specific from one of the books in all but the name. I have no idea why the developer's made the decision to change the name despite a lot of the other references from the books remaining somewhat intact. Maybe they thought the name Quantum Weather Butterfly was too obvious?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm not sure if there was one. I'm trying to remember whether there was a line about waking up with a frog in the throat or not, I could be imagining it as I can't seem to find it if there was one.

No, when the frog first appeared, it jumped out of Rincewind's throat (when his spell to open the gate backfired) and jumped into the pond. I'm pretty sure that's the only clue.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Discworld 2 has another one of those puzzles with a really vague hint tucked away in a conversation with one of the most annoying people to talk to regarding what you should do with a brick.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LumberFlapJack posted:

For all hardcore Pratchett readers the emphasis is on 'loosely' and 'borrows'. I think they've done a decent job on taking things from the books and making something that is different but still oddly similar.

Second one leans a bit too heavily into "look kids it's Eric Idle" jokes for my tastes, but yeah they made something that feels like Discworld. It's interesting looking at IMDB now; as an American I had no clue who anyone but Idle was at the time but now I'm familiar with all of them except Kate Robbins from binge-ing various fandom stuff and panel shows.

We didn't have internet when these games came out, so my brother and I would play as far as we could, then look up what we were stuck on in the school computer lab the next day. Made for a pretty decent way of enjoying them without getting completely stuck or just taking the guided tour (a mistake we made with Myst. It came bundled with the strategy guide and that thing was written so wonderfully that we read it cover to cover on the ride home. Still a good game though.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nidoking posted:

No, when the frog first appeared, it jumped out of Rincewind's throat (when his spell to open the gate backfired) and jumped into the pond. I'm pretty sure that's the only clue.

That's actually a pretty clever time traveler joke but since you use magic to make it appear you would obviously think you had just created a magic toad rather than extracted it from Rincewind properly.

I had never read a Discworld novel before this game so it just came off as quirky fun.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh, this should be fun. I played the heck out of Discworld 2 in my teenage years. Curiously, I have the Playstation version, which has the subtitle Mortality Bytes! instead of Missing, Presumed ???.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dareon posted:

Oh, this should be fun. I played the heck out of Discworld 2 in my teenage years. Curiously, I have the Playstation version, which has the subtitle Mortality Bytes! instead of Missing, Presumed ???.

The title was changed for North America.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Clear evidence here of the way they made the game seem longer by just forcing you to go back and forth through the same screens/animations over and over again as you try to figure out the solution. I remember that L-space transition getting really irritating.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey! I remember this g-

DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON

Also Ridcully does not sound like that

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh god why does the bursar have an oirish accent.

This is going to be a long slog down memory lane.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Splicer posted:

Hey! I remember this g-

DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON DRAGAGON

Also Ridcully does not sound like that

I'm pretty sure this one takes place before ridcully. Promotion via murder was still mentioned as a thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless I'm mistaken Ridcully the Brown was brought in directly after the events of Sourcery so it should be him in charge. My guess is that it took a while for the promotion by dead mans pointy boots to go away after he got given the office. But his voice and character, like so many others, is still kinda wrong.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Poil posted:

Unless I'm mistaken Ridcully the Brown was brought in directly after the events of Sourcery so it should be him in charge. My guess is that it took a while for the promotion by dead mans pointy boots to go away after he got given the office. But his voice and character, like so many others, is still kinda wrong.

Going by his talking about things being unhygienic it's based on Ridcully, at least.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Whether or not Ridcully sounds like that, he definitely speaks like that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Poil posted:

My guess is that it took a while for the promotion by dead mans pointy boots to go away after he got given the office.
It did. It's briefly mentioned somewhere that a few people tried it before it was generally known that he slept with a loaded crossbow by the bed.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tiggum posted:

It did. It's briefly mentioned somewhere that a few people tried it before it was generally known that he slept with a loaded crossbow by the bed.

and being an avid hunter he's still in better shape then most of the Wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Wizards (and everything else for that matter) morphed into where they end up over the course of multiple books, and I think it's better not to take some things here as an indication of the timeline so much as them trying to cram references to the whole series into a single game.