Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, since it's basically Guards! Guards! with Rincewind and other odd bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naliamegod
Jul 13, 2018
I'm going to guess we aren't going to see much of the "Carrot does some lawful stupid things but gets away with it because he's Carrot" hi-jinks that made that book great. :smith:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Progress has been made, well, some progress. We get to see some new locations at least... The next couple of episodes should go smoother, there's a little more groundwork to cover to open another area but there will be a lot more dialogue.

Thank you for your patience with the initial entry into this act.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You seem to be pretty consistently confusing the present with the past in this video. The night scene is the previous night, while the day scene is the present. That's why the scared guy in the bar remembers what happened to him the previous night and tells Rincewind, who goes and does it the night before, and why the troll keeps getting Rincewind to ask for a thump the next day after Rincewind gave him the idea.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

there will be a lot more dialogue.

Oh. Good. :geno:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Nidoking posted:

You seem to be pretty consistently confusing the present with the past in this video. The night scene is the previous night, while the day scene is the present. That's why the scared guy in the bar remembers what happened to him the previous night and tells Rincewind, who goes and does it the night before, and why the troll keeps getting Rincewind to ask for a thump the next day after Rincewind gave him the idea.

I probably should have waited to record that video. I had two injections of local anaesthetic and a few teeth out some hours beforehand, I thought that I'd be okay to record but got a little overwhelmed during it. I'm aiming to have another update up this weekend with a clearer plan of action.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon!

That extremely repeated voice clip wouldn't be so bad if they'd all been directed to chant in time with each other...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tenebrais posted:

Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon! Dragon!

That extremely repeated voice clip wouldn't be so bad if they'd all been directed to chant in time with each other...

That's pretty much from the book.

quote:

Around him the Brethren were chanting what each man considered, according to his lights, to be something mystical. The general effect was actually quite good, if you didn't listen to the words.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

That's pretty much from the book.
Some things work in print but don't translate well to the screen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Some things work in print but don't translate well to the screen.

From reading it, it seems like they translated it really well.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the point of the book passage is that they're all chanting their own different made-up mystical nonsense, rather than chanting the same english word out of rhythm.

It wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't all start at the same time, making it sound like a repeating weird klaxon noise. Kind of the worst of both worlds.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Things went somewhat smoother in this video.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The backtracks in this part bring to light another design annoyance with the game - there's nothing to distinguish vital clues from background jokes. The number of puzzles where the solution is "look at this random thing" or "talk to a person you previously talked to but who now has new information for no discernible reason" is way too high. And frankly, some of the object-based puzzles aren't much better. I solved the ladder puzzle in a fit of literally clicking every object in my inventory on every other object.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
In some cases there is not path of logical thinking to come up with the correct solutions, you perform actions just because you can and later on it incidentally becomes useful. For example, for what reason in particular did we need to learn the secret handshake? How could we have ever known it would have given us an item to get the skeleton key?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nidoking posted:

The number of puzzles where the solution is "look at this random thing" or "talk to a person you previously talked to but who now has new information for no discernible reason" is way too high.
Or like the troll in the psychotrickerist's office, talk to them even though they have nothing new to say at all. Just talking to them triggers an unrelated thing to happen.

Tombot posted:

In some cases there is not path of logical thinking to come up with the correct solutions, you perform actions just because you can and later on it incidentally becomes useful. For example, for what reason in particular did we need to learn the secret handshake? How could we have ever known it would have given us an item to get the skeleton key?
You need the secret handshake to gain the mason's trust because he'll only give the trowel to a colleague. It does require you to know about Freemasons but it's not much of a leap if you do. You then get the bra as a consequence of learning the secret handshake, but it's not the thing you're trying to get. The real problem with that puzzle is that it's not clear that you need to muffle the ladder in the first place and there's no reason to suspect that you could do so with a bra anyway. The only way to solve it really is just attempting to combine every inventory item with every other item.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like the second game is better about this sort of thing, but that might be because I played that one as a kid and remember how to solve most of it. I'm sure it'll be illuminating once we get there.

But for this, which is all new to me, I can see why it had a reputation of being especially bad about adventure game bullshit.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Haven't watched video 8 yet but good work so far on the LP, RBD.

It's weird to see an attempt at writing Discworld that's... close but not? It really does feel more Pythonesque with some of the dialog. The weird meta conversation with the beggar in Act 1 reminds me of the anarcho-syndicalist commune bit from Holy Grail. It's also jarring to see how certain characters are written and voiced, like the Patrician and Carrot. I can't quite place what feels off about the Patrician but Carrot seems more flat-out dumb than "naive but means well."

I'm actually reading Men at Arms at the moment and it's nice to see Carrot actually transitioning toward being competent. Like aside from being powerful, he's shaking off the country rube stuff and becoming more streetwise.

Not having read the Witches books, how does Nanny Ogg compare to her portrayal in the game?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Not having read the Witches books, how does Nanny Ogg compare to her portrayal in the game?

It's definitely a characteristic. Nanny is absolutely shameless, and if you're looking for one note on her scale it's not a bad one to pluck for a background character. Always happy to have a pint and tell jokes that'd make a sailor blush. Of course in the actual books she's a Witch through and through and the soft demeanor hides a mind that's second only to Granny Weatherwax (and better in some areas of skill, though she'd never admit it around Granny), and a rock-hard willpower when needs must.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
YES YES YES DISCWORLD GAMES

You know how loving hard it is to get these to work on modern computers?

gently caress these are easily my favorite point and clicks too.

My knowledge of these games and the bloody books is encyclopedic at this point. I'm that guy who knows every character who pops up and what book they're a reference too.

LumberFlapJack posted:

For all hardcore Pratchett readers the emphasis is on 'loosely' and 'borrows'. I think they've done a decent job on taking things from the books and making something that is different but still oddly similar.

This basically.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 2, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ghost Stromboli posted:

For a long time I didn't even realise that was who it was supposed to be.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Tiggum posted:

For a long time I didn't even realise that was who it was supposed to be.

To a lesser extent I had the same problem with Twoflower (never played the game). If someone hadn't pointed out that was him doing what are essentially the footnotes I'd have never put that one together.

Side note, I know this was made in the mid-90s but man they love makeing jokes about men wearing dresses.

Ghost Stromboli fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 2, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Side note, I know this was made in the mid-90s but man they love make jokes about men wearing dresses.
Well, one joke over and over again anyway.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tombot posted:

In some cases there is not path of logical thinking to come up with the correct solutions

That's not true. I can't think of any cases where logical thinking is the path to the correct solution.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
The most striking change in Nanny I think is they've completely dropped that she is the undisputed matriarch of a massive family. Nanny doesn't live alone in the woods, she's right in the centre of town surrounded by doting sons and terrified daughters in law. Her house probably defines wherever the centre of town is, regardless of where it actually is. Living alone in the woods is more a Granny thing.

It's not a terribly important detail, but it does give the sense that the developers had a cursory glance at the books, grabbed the most obvious tropes, and ran with it. Witch = cottage in the woods, don't you know.

And you absolutely should read the Witches books if you haven't. Not so much Equal Rites, which is from when Pratchett is still finding his footing, but Wyrd Sisters onward is gold.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

An unfortunate animation indeed:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alhazred posted:

That Amazon is trying so hard to not look.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This was pretty much me trying to figure out the puzzles in the game:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Act II is now complete, I've managed to fit it all into this video. I tried to add some logic to some things but in the end I just tried to roll with it and let things happen. This act got off to a very shaky start but it ended fairly smoothly.

I'm pretty sure that I've missed a scene in Act II involving L-Space (If I can't recreate it in Act III I'll add some bonus footage at the end of the next video.) It involves picking up the Dragon book in the past and keeping it in your inventory when you try to travel through L-Space to the present. You end up encountering a new scene and then you return to the past again. Unless you return the book to its original place you will forever be in a loop if you keep trying to travel through L-Space, which isn't such an issue if you know what you're doing as you can just put the book back and carry on as normal. It's been over a decade since I last played this game to completion, I can remember picking up the book early on and being stuck in an endless loop because I couldn't figure it out. As I don't remember the dialogue of the scene, or if there were any clues during the attempted travel, I can't recall if it was just me being extra stupid back then. I guess looking back that it's fairly obvious now due to it involving a paradox.

Alhazred posted:

This is great, thank you! I'm tempted to make this my new profile picture.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 6, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Act II is now complete, I've managed to fit it all into this video. I tried to add some logic to some things

That's optimistic..

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

...so what did pouring the custard and octopus down the toilet achieve exactly?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

It was Nanny's love custard, so he assaulted the fishmonger with an amorous octopus.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Bruceski posted:

It was Nanny's love custard, so he assaulted the fishmonger with an amorous octopus.

Now there's a sentence we all (presumably) never thought we'd read.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rincewind, no:ohdear:

Also, in the books Rincewind is a regular at the cat house in the Shades.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

This is another of those wonderful wonky mechanics of the game. I'm not sure why the developers neglected to have Nanny Ogg in the town square from the start of Act II, there's a trigger somewhere in the game that moves her there from the Palace. We encountered her home in the woods during the seventh video as well as her boiling cauldron, the description pretty much just labelled it as being custard. After this...

Bruceski posted:

...There was a point in the mechanics which triggered the location switch which enabled us to get ahold of the book with the aphrodisiac custard recipe.

To answer the original question, we made an octopus horny so it would shag the fishmonger into unconsciousness against his will just so we could steal his belt.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Barbers actually used to perform surgery and pulling teeth in medieval times and the barber's pole is a remnant from that time. Barbers used to advertise their services by putting a bowl with blood in their windows (one of the services they provided was bloodletting) but in 1307 the London city council banned that practice. The barber had to discretely dispose of the blood in the Thames or pay a fine of two shillings. Instead they used the pole. The pole represent the staff that the patient held to make the veins more visible, the red stripes is the blood and the knob at the end represent the bowl where the blood drips into.
The last barber who also performed surgery died in 1821.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I intended to post an update a couple of days ago, but I made a boob of the aspect ratio so I re-recorded an update earlier today. This is the start of Act III, there's a lot of changes and no L-Space to deal with thankfully. At the end of this video I've included a couple of missing scenes from Act II that I kept from the previous recording session.

Edit: I've re-uploaded the video with the bonus scenes included.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 11, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For some reason I can't view the bonus clip at the end.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nielsm posted:

For some reason I can't view the bonus clip at the end.

Balls, thank you for pointing this out. Something went wrong during editing which I didn't pick up on an external player. I'm re-uploading a new edit and I'll replace the links when it's done. I'll also include a time stamp linking directly to the bonus scenes.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The links have now been updated, if you want to cut straight to the bonus scenes then here is the timestamp link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV4BOru58UU&t=1668s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naliamegod
Jul 13, 2018
I have to give the game credit: using the "million-to-one-chance" as the quest for this act is actually pretty funny and a good way to integrate the books humor into the mechanics.