Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Still couldn't get the number of that donkey cart, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this episode, we meet explore some new places and we collect our first hero item. I've had some more dental work so please excuse my commentary a little.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

One more hero item collected and a lot of ground has been covered in collecting the next one. We also get to meet some more new... people... in this episode.

I'm aiming to complete Discworld 1 this weekend, I think that an extended episode might be a little too ambitious so I'll most likely be working on recording two separate videos.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Heh. They must have changed up the whistle thing late in production and couldn't get Eric Idle in to voice lines.

Though I'd have thought Rob Brydon could do a better Eric Idle impression though. Though it sounds to me like the voice he did inspired a character in the second game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I hope everyone noticed that awful running gag that's suddenly a major clue to yet another ludicrous, roundabout puzzle! I swear, even when you know how all the parts fit together, some of these puzzles still make no sense.

And this is where I've forgotten pretty much everything about the game, since the version I played was rather severely broken and attempting to do most things that weren't the correct puzzle solutions resulted in some strange graphical errors, out-of-place lines (a few of which seem to persist in this version), and various other issues that sent me running straight to UHS hints for the answers. I think every adventure game has at least one moment where you have to return to previously explored territory because a completely unconnected event has caused something to change in a meaningful way - the old "shop is closed until you have a reason to go in" or "the old man finally wanders home when you give the fish to the cat" or "the one-way door is open because you now have the item you will need once you've gone through" syndrome. Most games try to minimize that because it's absolutely terrible design. This game uses it as a cornerstone. I respect a game that tries to get the most out of the resources it has, but has there been a single screen you didn't need to revisit in every act for yet another pixel hunt?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, on top of some really obtuse puzzles, this game was pretty loving buggy and earlier versions were prone to crashing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tenebrais posted:

They must have changed up the whistle thing late in production and couldn't get Eric Idle in to voice lines.
There was a line in one of the earlier videos too. I assume that they changed some bits after Eric Idle had recorded his lines or just forgot to record a few lines or ran out of time, and it was way too expensive to get him back, so they just had Rob Brydon fill in and hoped no one would notice - even though it's incredibly obvious. The fact that a total of four people voice every character but the protagonist suggests that they were cutting corners on the voice-acting budget to get as much as they could possibly afford out of Eric Idle.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

this game was pretty loving buggy and earlier versions were prone to crashing.

So was Discworld Noir.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

So was Discworld Noir.

Is there any version of Discworld Noir that wasn't ridiculously buggy and prone to crashing? My favourite thing in the entire game is the bit where you can pick up the crowbar again after you're supposed to have lost it permanently and try to use it on objects and Rob Brydon tells you you've found a bug. Why is that line voiced?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Is there any version of Discworld Noir that wasn't ridiculously buggy and prone to crashing?

It is a trade-off. You get a discworld game that actually has puzzles that makes sense, on the other hand it is almost impossible to play it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tiggum posted:

Is there any version of Discworld Noir that wasn't ridiculously buggy and prone to crashing? My favourite thing in the entire game is the bit where you can pick up the crowbar again after you're supposed to have lost it permanently and try to use it on objects and Rob Brydon tells you you've found a bug. Why is that line voiced?

I wonder if that's actually a meta-joke, they do reference how bad the puzzles in the first game is among other things, it's probably a nod to how buggy the series is.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final part of Act III, there's one new location and a some more new... people... to talk too. Also get ready for some more unconnected events and the biggest pixel hunt of the game.

Rob Brydon recording additional dialogue makes more sense than what I said.

The finale, Act IV in full, will follow soon.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Edit: The entirety of Act IV and the finale of Discworld I. I remember having a lot of frustration with this part of the game many years ago. I think this part of the game was also bugged when it was first released. This definitely went a lot smoother than I remembered.

Here are links to the Easter Egg that I mentioned during the video:

Video (There's comments by the developer) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkCA2yl4MQE

More information about it can be found here: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4208/

Thank you, everyone, for the comments and support so far. I'll be taking a short break before I start Discworld II due to work and visiting family in Scotland next week. I'm aiming to have the first video up on the 29th or 30th of this month.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 20, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, purple on black does not make for readable text.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I can't believe it's taken you this long to have the luggage not follow you properly. I remember that being a major annoyance in this game.

That bit at the end with Death making all the excuses; that's a reference/rip-off of a movie, right? It's annoyingly familiar to me but I can't place it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tiggum posted:

I can't believe it's taken you this long to have the luggage not follow you properly. I remember that being a major annoyance in this game.

That bit at the end with Death making all the excuses; that's a reference/rip-off of a movie, right? It's annoyingly familiar to me but I can't place it.

It gave me flashbacks to the jilted ex scene from the blues brothers but it's just different enough I dont know if it was deliberate or not.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FoolyCharged posted:

It gave me flashbacks to the jilted ex scene from the blues brothers but it's just different enough I dont know if it was deliberate or not.

I can see that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvujknrBuE

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A little fun fact: If you put alcohol in the luggage it becomes drunk, so if you're going to transport alcohol somewhere (like the elderberry wine to the mines) Rincewind have to carry it himself.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The problem I have with this game is that the things you do make sense, but mostly in retrospect. Stuff like that magic hat would have been much easier to figure out if you had any knowledge about its abilities other than "it has a rabbit in it". Also the puzzle at the end seems mostly solvable under the strict pretense that you have read the book but otherwise I have no idea what direction the player would have.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

That's definitely what I was thinking of, and given how many other references are in this game I'd say it was probably intentional. :shrug:

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011
Oh dear. I haven't had time to watch that many videos for a few weeks but now I watched the last four of this LP. I have finished this game twice, both times with help of a walkthrough. The thing I was amazed at was the number of puzzles I had no recollection of. They are so obscure that I've just forgotten about them. I'm interested to see how much I've forgotten about Discworld 2.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to Discworld 2, enjoy the long intro video.

I'd like to elaborate on a few things. I'm running the DOS version of Discworld 2 with ScummVM, mainly because it works without having to do any technical wizardry. Before I uploaded this video I did a couple of test runs and a test recording, even though the game runs I still experienced some technical issues, mainly with sound glitches and slow down. Thankfully during this recording, everything seemed to run smoothly. My throat still hasn't recovered from the recent cold, but I'll take the smooth recording with a few fluffs in the commentary.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 29, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, now there's the nostalgia! This I played as a child and I think I still remember most of the solutions to things.

You mentioned the graphical upgrade, but the audio got a boost too - on top of having lots more dialogue, the music is proper audio rather than midis. I like a lot of this music. This game is clearly a lot bigger; was the first one on floppy or something?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I pulled out my CDs so I could play along. It's amazing how much I remember, and also the specific things I've forgotten. And how well the game runs on DOSBox - my PC had trouble keeping up with the cutscenes when the game came out, but the only problem I have now is that the sound randomly gets messed up in a way that I can ignore if I'm determined enough.

The humor in this game really picked up, in my opinion. Sure, the cutscenes and conversations are still interminable, but there are significantly more memorable, quotable ones. I think it helps that this game was based on later books, when Terry Pratchett had really hit his stride in terms of creating story elements that are inherently humorous.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nidoking posted:

The humor in this game really picked up, in my opinion. Sure, the cutscenes and conversations are still interminable, but there are significantly more memorable, quotable ones. I think it helps that this game was based on later books, when Terry Pratchett had really hit his stride in terms of creating story elements that are inherently humorous.
It's still really painful to see things you remember as amusing but which have been cut down to save money on voice acting to the point that they're there more to remind you of things that were funny than to be funny themselves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nidoking posted:

I pulled out my CDs so I could play along.

I remember having to use floppy discs to run the first Discworld game:

Kids these days don't know how easy they got it with their steam and xbox live accounts..

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Kids these days don't know how easy they got it with their steam and xbox live accounts..

I once installed Windows 95 from floppies. The 26 disk version.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I really don't envy you!

Edit: I posted a mistaken image.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
God forbid if even one of those discs breaks

LumberFlapJack
Dec 19, 2011
I still love the song. Very strong contender in the 'Best musical number in an adventure game performed by skeletons'. And at the moment, at least, I seem to remember more about this than the first game. I also feel like the characters are at least a bit closer to the originals in the books.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tombot posted:

God forbid if even one of those discs breaks

Floppy discs were pretty sturdy. Unless you were intentionally trying to break them they could last a long time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gotta say I'm not a big fan of the "you paid money to play a game with a lot of pointless tasks:smuggo:" jokes in this game so far.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

God, Sierra has a lot to answer for that horseshit.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LumberFlapJack posted:

I still love the song. Very strong contender in the 'Best musical number in an adventure game performed by skeletons'. And at the moment, at least, I seem to remember more about this than the first game. I also feel like the characters are at least a bit closer to the originals in the books.

That song is really great. I sometimes sing it at work, especially when I have to get more serious to get a deadline. The looks are always amusing.

This game, I love it. By the way, it also had an excellent manual.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't remember the exact quote from the manual, but it was something like "Having completed the first game, you'll remember that... wait, you haven't finished the first game yet? What's wrong with you? Look, it's simple. Give the prunes to the fishmonger, get the dragon to breathe on the mirror, cut the donkey's tail with the scissors, and use the dragon on the other dragon. All caught up? Good." You know, solutions to the puzzles that weren't mind-bogglingly obtuse.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode pretty much covers the rest of the University, there are only a few things left to do before we leave to explore the rest of what the game has to offer within Ankh-Morpork. I may have to approach the puzzle solving in this game a little differently from how I approached them in the first game, I've got a little bit of time to put some more thought in how I'm going to do it.

The next two or three episodes, at least, will be very dialogue heavy throughout. But I think that was pretty much expected already.

Nidoking posted:

I pulled out my CDs so I could play along. It's amazing how much I remember, and also the specific things I've forgotten. And how well the game runs on DOSBox - my PC had trouble keeping up with the cutscenes when the game came out, but the only problem I have now is that the sound randomly gets messed up in a way that I can ignore if I'm determined enough.

I never even thought of trying DOSBox, I went straight to ScummVM as their website claims to have 'excellent' support for both Discworld games. I had some sound issues when I first started to test the game, it wasn't a major problem as it was intermittent, but it was noticeable.

There's a lot that I had initially forgotten, playing this game again has triggered a lot of forgotten memories.

Darth TNT posted:

This game, I love it. By the way, it also had an excellent manual.

The manual is available to view here in various formats: https://archive.org/details/DISCWORLD_II_MORTALITY_BYTES

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, this game really is better about hints. You've got leads on two of the items and haven't even left the university yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just getting to the intro video, and one of the things I never figured out is why Rincewind was apparently sleeping in a huge pile of what my young mind initially took for some sort of odd sausage-based dessert (based on the other foods in the room) but I now realize is probably bangers and mash.

Also, the occasional odd things they do with perspective in the background while not having the budget or inclination to redraw the sprites is annoying. And my attention span has apparently shortened to the point where I need to watch the video at 1.25x in order to not be bored to death by the pacing of the voice lines.

Additionally, harkening back to Discworld 1, because I'd only played the second I was vaguely disturbed by the nearly antagonistic relationship between Rincewind and the Librarian compared to here in 2 where they're buddies and do cool things together. :3:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

God, Sierra has a lot to answer for that horseshit.

I think that I'm missing something here. I played several Sierra adventure games when I was younger but nothing springs to mind.

It's nice to see that you are still around.

Dareon posted:

Just getting to the intro video, and one of the things I never figured out is why Rincewind was apparently sleeping in a huge pile of what my young mind initially took for some sort of odd sausage-based dessert (based on the other foods in the room) but I now realize is probably bangers and mash.

Also, the occasional odd things they do with perspective in the background while not having the budget or inclination to redraw the sprites is annoying. And my attention span has apparently shortened to the point where I need to watch the video at 1.25x in order to not be bored to death by the pacing of the voice lines.

Additionally, harkening back to Discworld 1, because I'd only played the second I was vaguely disturbed by the nearly antagonistic relationship between Rincewind and the Librarian compared to here in 2 where they're buddies and do cool things together. :3:

Sausage-based dessert? Nudge nudge... Ahem, I meant that it's definitely bangers and mash.

I'm going to tweak the settings before recording the next video, the subtitle speeds will be affecting the pacing. I didn't account for the wild fluctuations in ambient sounds with various locations either, I'll find something more in the middle for the next recording. I'll be very open afterwards to anyone's suggestions if things need tweaking any more.

The volatile relationship in the first game was pretty much heightened for comedic effect. The Librarian and Rincewind are pretty good friends in the books and it's portrayed more accurately in the introduction of the second game. I know that Rincewind knew the Librarian before he became an Orang-Utan and I think that he's one of the few people left alive who knows his actual name. I may be remembering this incorrectly as it's been a long time since I've read many of the earlier books, does one of them imply that they both were students at the University together too?

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sierra's notorious for putting in a lot of busywork - Police Quest was especially bad as for the first half you had to follow every police protocol to a tee, and lot of them deliberately obtuse enough to get people to call their paid hotline for hints.