Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I would still love to see a proper chili-based dish given Vimes love of vindaloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Robindaybird posted:

I just assume it's for the typical British palette which isn't too fond of the hot.

Tenebrais posted:

An entire teaspoon of mustard
I was about to make that very same joke. British Empire conquers half the world for spices and decides they don't like any of them. Except tea, which they like so much it literally causes a financial crisis.

Oh hey, it's a real thing. Sounds like a proper recipe for it, too, given that description. The sauce itself sounds nice, but I should definitely hunt down/brew up some of this "mushroom ketchup" the article mentions. I love me some mushrooms. :shroom:

evilmiera posted:

I would still love to see a proper chili-based dish given Vimes love of vindaloo.
I'm afraid I have bad news for you. The spiciest Morporkian dish in the book is Mrs Colon's Genyooin Klatchian Curry, containing none of these fancy foreign foods whatsoever, and the recipe from Vimes is Lady Sybil Vimes' Kedgeree, a decidedly more nobby taste than what Commander Vimes would have suggested.

There is a nice Howondaland chicken curry that uses green chilies, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and ginger, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

TIL that ketchup wasn't always a tomato-based condiment.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

evilmiera posted:

I love that vindaloo means something like "mouth scalding gristle for macho idiots".

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

I decided that instead of going back over old ground to discover additional dialogue, I'd progress instead to open up the game to new grounds straight away. I have a feeling that Act II will be similar in length to the first Act, I'm looking forward to this one as there's so much that I had forgotten that is involved within it.

Who says English people can't handle spicy food? I could live off Vindaloos, I've had a couple of Phalls in my time too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video Rincewind explores Djelibeybi and some surrounding areas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It actually took a surprisingly amount of time to figure the whole pyramid thing out:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's weird that Rincewind uses the term "east" only for Uri Djeller to point out moments later that that direction doesn't exist on the Disc. And why does D'Blah sound like Speedy Gonzales?

Oh, and in case anyone's confused, the razor blade/time travel thing is a reference to a running joke/plot point in Pyramids, which itself is a reference to pyramid power.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Rincewind explores the last couple of new locations and then starts making some progress. Possibly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That is a very odd portrayal of Granny Weatherwax.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A lot went on during this recording. Dialogue, misclicks, glitches and a crash. Also a little bit of puzzle solving. I should have Act II complete this weekend.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What in all the parasite universes were those puzzle solutions? :psyduck:

Also that stoning was worse than what I remembered. Oh well.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 4, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I decided that instead of going back over old ground to discover additional dialogue, I'd progress instead to open up the game to new grounds straight away. I have a feeling that Act II will be similar in length to the first Act, I'm looking forward to this one as there's so much that I had forgotten that is involved within it.

Who says English people can't handle spicy food? I could live off Vindaloos, I've had a couple of Phalls in my time too.

A regular vindaloo is fine once in a while but I wouldn't want to subsist on them. And I am the kind of person who makes his own Carolina reaper sauces.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Poil posted:

What in all the parasite universes were those puzzle solutions? :psyduck:

Anything specific or do you want me to attempt to put some logic into all of them?

evilmiera posted:

A regular vindaloo is fine once in a while but I wouldn't want to subsist on them. And I am the kind of person who makes his own Carolina reaper sauces.

Okay, maybe saying that I could live off of them is a bit too much. I like spicy food but I'm more in it for the flavour than for the challenge of the heat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just the imp one would do please. The rest sort of make some sense when you see how they fit together but how are you supposed to ever guess them let alone figure it out without mashing everything into everything?

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 5, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Just the imp one would do please. The rest sort of make some sense when you see how they fit together but how are you supposed to ever guess them let alone figure it out without mashing everything into everything?

The imp coated itself in that same paint before jumping into the scene - it's your cue that that paint lets you go into the set somehow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Poil posted:

how are you supposed to ever guess them let alone figure it out without mashing everything into everything?
That is exactly how you're supposed to solve them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Anything specific or do you want me to attempt to put some logic into all of them?

Okay, maybe saying that I could live off of them is a bit too much. I like spicy food but I'm more in it for the flavour than for the challenge of the heat.

Not trying to put down your chili-prowess. Just that most of the time I eat vindaloo I end up wondering why I hate my stomach this much.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Poil posted:

Tenebrais posted:

The imp coated itself in that same paint before jumping into the scene - it's your cue that that paint lets you go into the set somehow.

Pretty much this. I think the logic behind it was that Rincewind needed a way to get the imp, so he needed an object to enter the painting and return to him. Instead of mashing everything together I just barreled ahead and solved it without much thought into explaining the process. If it helps I could try to put some logic into some of the more obscure puzzle solving while I'm playing. After the first game, I kinda stopped trying to apply logic and just pushed on with the game. The second game is a lot more forgiving than the first but it still has it's moments.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A pre-warning, this video is the end of Act II and it went way over the time that I thought it would. I've managed to cut it down to under 41 minutes. If you're short on time there is some optional stuff you can skip which I'll explain after this paragraph. I naively stated a few minutes into recording that I would be done in 15-20 minutes as there weren't many actions left to perform. Such as it always is with my experience it never quite works out that way, it's not a bad thing though as there's a lot of content that we get to see. I didn't expect as many cutscenes as there were, not including the sequence which sets up Act III.

I also didn't take into account a new location that would be crucial in setting up the ending sequence. I remembered that it was a single room and I knew that the puzzle was short. This room though contains various new people as well as an old... face? I didn't realise just how much dialogue there would be. The additional and entirely optional dialogue in this location lasted around ten minutes, so if you're short on time and want to cut straight to the puzzle solving then skip to the 27-minute mark.

Act III looks like it's going to be very interesting.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 9, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've got to find a way to use "it eats its own young" as an insult at some point, that's fantastic.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The first part of Act III, I'm pretty sure that I've covered two-thirds of it in this recording. I'm not sure where my head was at during this recording, there are some minor edits in places and I'm pretty certain that I missed part of some plot dialogue as it happened which made me a little confused towards the end. Unless I got ahead of myself with the notes and the conversation didn't happen\hasn't happened yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You did get ahead of yourself; Albert hasn't asked you to do the bit with the honey pot yet.

A big part of the reason this act is so short is because there's only two people to talk to. And I'm not sure if you can even have a proper conversation with Albert, and the other is a child.

Speaking of Susan, it's an interesting depiction of her in this game, since in the books she never appears as a child. Her first appearance is in Soul Music, where she's a teenager off in a boarding school, then she gets progressively older in her later appearances in Hogfather and Thief of Time. Her mother was Death's adopted daughter Ysabell, and her father was his apprentice Mort, from one of the really early books. No blood relation, but this is Discworld, and some things get passed down just because they feel like they should. Hence she's got stark white hair with one black streak, and that's probably the least supernatural thing about her.

It's not commented on in the descriptions but Susan's swing set is from the books too. Death wanted to do a traditional dad thing for his daughter, so he made her a swing out of a tree in the garden (having previously made the garden). And, traditionally, you'd hang the ropes from the two stoutest branches of the tree. Unfortunately, in this case, the thickest branches were on opposite sides of it. Death solved this problem by removing its trunk, and didn't see anything wrong with the final result.

Albert was the founder and first Archchancellor of Unseen University. He tried to gain immortality by performing the Rite of AshkEnte (the ritual in the first act to summon Death) backwards. It did the other opposite effect.

The timeline of this game is a little screwy, since there are elements here - the wheat field and Death of Rats - that exist as a consequence of the events of Reaper Man, but that book is one of the two that are primarily drawn from for the plot of the game (ther other being Moving Pictures), and also includes things like Windle Poons being unable to die because Death is absent.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There's something really enjoyable about Death's home.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Poil posted:

There's something really enjoyable about Death's home.

IT has a nice homely feel to it and the friendly butler helps a lot. :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wait, you had to dye the black curtains black by dipping them in a mixture of ink and water, and that turned them into a robe? Most of the puzzles at least make some sense in hindsight, that's just incomprehensible.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Wait, you had to dye the black curtains black by dipping them in a mixture of ink and water, and that turned them into a robe? Most of the puzzles at least make some sense in hindsight, that's just incomprehensible.

In theory you'd first hand the curtains direct to Albert, who'd tell you, yeah, they're black, but not blacker than black. Hence the need to dye them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think there's also a different line if you look at your own autobiography before talking to Susan, getting a reason to pick it up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the responses, I'll address it here as well as in the next video. I consult a walkthrough or two to help with puzzle solving but there's no context behind the actions. As Albert was telling me what to do I was reading my notes and got distracted for a moment and missed a couple of lines. I realised halfway through that I should have been paying attention and as you can see I didn't manage to pull myself back together.

The next video looks like it isn't going to be long, I'll revisit\re-address a couple of the puzzles again in the next video with more context behind them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of Act III. I actually played through and recorded right up until the end credits, I wasn't sure how much editing that I would need to do so I thought I would just see how it went. I ended up cutting them into two separate parts as there was a significant amount of video for both of them.

At the start of this video, I added some additional video of the robe situation. I did record a section where I picked up the book again pre-Susan. But during the editing process, I realised that I forgot to actually examine the book in my inventory.

I'll upload the final part on Sunday.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, you did a much better job contextualising what you're doing!

By the dialogue that's clearly the patrician in that cutscene, but it's hard to see why he wanted to kill Death. Or the Fool's Guild. Though it's reasonable for anyone to want to blow up the Fool's Guild.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Ah, you did a much better job contextualising what you're doing!

By the dialogue that's clearly the patrician in that cutscene, but it's hard to see why he wanted to kill Death. Or the Fool's Guild. Though it's reasonable for anyone to want to blow up the Fool's Guild.

What bothers me about that scene is that he gives a poo poo about it leading back to him. Or that he does the overly dramatic throat cutting motion.

Especially considering he himself was schooled at the assassins guild, unless that's a different patrician.

There have been plots to murder popular figures before, but usually because they mess with the established order or the guilds.

Maybe they blew up that one fool because he ruined the Patricians guest quarters in the last game. Well, Rincewind did that, but the fool was the one stuck in the bathtub of the room at the time. Also didn't he get tortured already?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

evilmiera posted:

What bothers me about that scene is that he gives a poo poo about it leading back to him. Or that he does the overly dramatic throat cutting motion.

Or the fact that he'd opt for something so direct and unsubtle as assassination, rather than just setting particular events in motion that will lead to his desired outcome.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is Act IV and the epilogue in its entirety and the last video of this LP.

Thank you, everyone, for your time, patience, comments and contributions. After two years away it's been nice to return with the Discworld games, two games that meant a lot to me in my younger years. I just hope that I was able to do them some justice through some technical difficulties and learning how this all works again.

I will be returning with an LP of another adventure game from England. My second ever LP was meant to be of a trilogy, I completed the first two but had to abandon the third before it got started due to technical problems. I really want to finish off this trilogy and I hope that with new software I have something that will make it possible. If so, then there is also a reboot of the series which spawned two terrible games which I might do too. For now, I'm going to take a bit of a break, do some testing and I will be back soon.

Thank you again, everyone, you've all help to make this an enjoyable experience for me and I appreciate everyone's involvement.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This is Act IV and the epilogue in its entirety and the last video of this LP.

Thank you, everyone, for your time, patience, comments and contributions. After two years away it's been nice to return with the Discworld games, two games that meant a lot to me in my younger years. I just hope that I was able to do them some justice through some technical difficulties and learning how this all works again.

I will be returning with an LP of another adventure game from England. My second ever LP was meant to be of a trilogy, I completed the first two but had to abandon the third before it got started due to technical problems. I really want to finish off this trilogy and I hope that with new software I have something that will make it possible. If so, then there is also a reboot of the series which spawned two terrible games which I might do too. For now, I'm going to take a bit of a break, do some testing and I will be back soon.

Thank you again, everyone, you've all help to make this an enjoyable experience for me and I appreciate everyone's involvement.

Lovely stuff all around. Thank you for all your hard work.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Did it not make you fill the canteen with Fountain of Youth water before plugging the fountain? I'm pretty sure it did when I replayed the game recently. Not that the type of water has any bearing on the ending, but I always thought it was mandatory.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for running around all over the world to fetch items and rubbing them against random stuff for our entertainment.

Also poor Windle tried listening to improvised jazz "music"? Sweet merciful gods it's no surprise it's even painful to the undead.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

Did it not make you fill the canteen with Fountain of Youth water before plugging the fountain? I'm pretty sure it did when I replayed the game recently. Not that the type of water has any bearing on the ending, but I always thought it was mandatory.

I couldn't remember filling up the canteen so I went back to check a few things.

I watched the video again and I didn't fill up the canteen at the fountain. When i inititally picked up the canteen from the saddlebags, i examined it in the inventory and the description was "Water. Well it's wet, runs downhill, and you can see right through it." I checked the main walkthrough that I was using and it doesn't mention anything about using the canteen on the fountain.

I've checked out a couple of other videos and they used the canteen on the fountain of youth. I've also checked a couple of other walkthroughs which mention filling up the canteen at the fountain.

I have no idea why there are two different methods or if there is anything that triggers one or the other.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

drat that's a catchy jingle.

Good going on the LP! It was fun to relive this game from my childhood. And to revisit Discworld, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I couldn't remember filling up the canteen so I went back to check a few things.

I watched the video again and I didn't fill up the canteen at the fountain. When i inititally picked up the canteen from the saddlebags, i examined it in the inventory and the description was "Water. Well it's wet, runs downhill, and you can see right through it." I checked the main walkthrough that I was using and it doesn't mention anything about using the canteen on the fountain.

I've checked out a couple of other videos and they used the canteen on the fountain of youth. I've also checked a couple of other walkthroughs which mention filling up the canteen at the fountain.

I have no idea why there are two different methods or if there is anything that triggers one or the other.

I think the options are oddly interchangeable. I don't remember, but is it possible to unplug the fountain? Because if it isn't, then it may have been a last minute addition after a playtester got stuck not having the fountain water and no way to get back there and fill the canteen.

Good job on the LP :) These games hold a special place in my heart as well.