Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:siren: Mod approved!

1996 was a busy year for the wrestling superstar Ultimate Warrior. Five years previously he had been suspended from the WWE (WWF at the time) following a dispute over compensation and a failed drug test. For the next five years he traveled around the world engaging in various projects, such as opening a wrestling school called Warrior University and exhibition matches. During this time he also legally changed his name to Warrior and started a lawsuit for the rights to his Warrior character.

After all of this he was set to return to the WWE. As part of his rebranding he worked to create a comic book with artists Jim Callahan and J.D. Smith. This comic would explain Warrior's personal beliefs and philosophy. It was set to release shortly after his triumphant return.

Unfortunately, while poetic at times, Warrior's exuberance in expressing his ideas far exceeded his talent. The result has been derided as an incoherent, incomprehensible mess. This is not helped by the mid-90s comic art.

This project seeks to translate the text into something more comprehensible. I will also be offering references to some of the philosophical ideas being used and a brief summary of plot.

Always believe!

Click for part 1!

Added Space fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This should be both enlightening and entertaining.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I have no idea what's going on here but I support this project. Please teach us the path of Destrucity.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Warrior's belief system is most easily compared to Buddhism. The two share many superficial elements such as reincarnation, a search for enlightenment, and the removal of one's self from common society. However, unlike Buddhism, Warrior's beliefs are neither pacifist or collectivist. His is a philosophy of individual self-improvement.

While following the Eight Virtues of Confuscionism will make one an ideal family man, and following the Eightfold Path of Buddhism will make one an ideal philosopher, the Eight Disciplines seek to make one an ideal Warrior. A person who is strong and use their strength for right.

There was one other significant event that happened in early 1996 - the death of Warrior's father. Considering this book was in production for at least six months, it is unclear how much that event influenced this comic.

Part 1 review

In part one, Warrior was cast through the veil of death into the Realm of Lost souls, a plane filled with mists and grasping demonic figures. He crashed into the Terrain of Testament without any memory of his life. Immediately he was assaulted with an illusion which nearly pushed him back out, but he managed to hold on and start a search.

In his search he found a pool containing his memories. A vision of his father appeared, telling of him of the trials that he was about to face. He was interrupted from a memory of his lady love by a group of hooded figures. Greatly angered by this, he took a moment to collect himself and then launched an attack.

Click for part 2!

Added Space fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 4, 2018

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, how many issues of this are there, anyway? This is a weird loving trip, translated or not.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, how many issues of this are there, anyway? This is a weird loving trip, translated or not.

There were five issues. Three were in this style. One was an collaborative art book which I will skip. The last is a bit special, for reasons I will explain later.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh holy gently caress yes

I love this stupid horrible goddamn comic with all my heart

e: :chanpop: holy gently caress this comic is even more bonkers than I thought from the old Linkara review

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 4, 2018

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Part 2 review

Warrior easily wins his battle with the hooded figures. Two of them lay fallen as the rest retreat with his memories. Following his father's advice literally, warrior tears a strip of viscera from each of them and wraps the gooey bits around his arms. This results in a fiery transformation into his ascended form.

Meanwhile, we find Warrior lying unconscious in a hospital bed with a woman weeping over him. This woman resembles Dana, the woman Warrior was dating at the time and would marry in 1999. There is a brief glimpse of the ominous Rock spying on them.

We also have a five page side comic about a woman rescued from depression by being enrolled in Warrior University.

Story Analysis

The Warrior comic is structurally simple. It is a variant of the common Hero's Journey narrative. A young man must enter a supernatural realm and face trials in order to gain the power to return home and affect change.

The story is told somewhat out of order, as the descent into death is told in media res before revealing the circumstances of that descent. The Warrior is also somewhat more competent then the usual modern protagonist, winning his first two trials handily.

Note that Warrior is attacked by eight hooded figures. Two are fallen on the ground and six teleport away.

The obvious implication is that these figures represent the Eight Disciplines of the Way of the Warrior, and hence the eight trials warrior must overcome. The two trials that fell represent the first two disciplines, Strength of Body and Will to Power. Warrior is obviously a physically impressive specimen, showing both strength and endurance. During his ascension Warrior muses about being on a path to the highest goal, similar to what Nietzsche said in Thus Spoke Zarathustra; "Man is something that shall be overcome. Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman - a rope over an abyss." However, he obviously disagrees with the next sentence; "What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end." Warrior is seeking to be that very end, the ideal warrior.

However, Warrior is very much closer to the beast end of the rope at the moment. The entire time he has been in the Terrain of Testament he was looking for someone - anyone - to fight in order to relieve his tension. This is why the two fallen trials appear reptilian. This is a reference to the triune brain model, wherein the reptilian brain is responsible for primitive aggressive and territorial behavior. His Higher Self is unconvinced of his worthiness and will extend his trials.

Warrior loves to blend seemingly disparate concepts. This is true of Destrucity, the blending of the future (Destiny) and the present (Reality). He also blends two concepts of vision; the perception of reality as viewed by one's eyes, and the idealistic structure that a person wishes to place on reality. The Warrior symbol, representing his idealistic vision of the way things should be, is seen several times in eyes in the first volume but is notably absent in the eyes of our main character. It only appears in volume two in his ascended form. This is why what he sees with his eyes of the Terrain of Testament is so disconcerting to him. The Terrain, which should be responding to him, is instead now the result of someone's else's idea of how it should be. Imagine some malicious demon redecorating the interior of your soul, stealing or replacing your memories according to it's own whim.

Warrior was noted for his singular vision and uncompromising interpretation of events throughout his life. His was the only viewpoint that he would consider, frequently criticizing others for behavior he himself was guilty of.

As I translated it; believing is seeing.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 4, 2018

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
There is some back matter in volume 1. There is an ad for Warrior's merch store. There is a page where Jim Callahan speaks, expressing his distaste for the mainstream comic industry and thanking his supporters. This includes a thanks to Warrior and Dana, whom he calls his "second family." There is a credits page -

Story - Warrior
Pencils & Inks - Jim Callahan
Colors - J. D. Smith
Lettering, Logo, Design - Richard Starkings & Comicraft
Special Thanks - Chameleons, Ms. Dana Viale, Mr. Gary Siegrist, Callahan
Publisher - Ultimate Creations, Inc. Scottsdale, AZ

Finally, there is a two page essay on the meaning of the work, the translation of which follows.

Warrior and What it Means to Me posted:

The meaning of the Warrior comic can be captured in one word: BELIEF. 24 years ago, at the age of 12, belief became the most important thing in my life. I had an imaginary friend. He didn't have a name; he didn't need one. He was just a comforting presence. He was my secret. It opened my mind to the big questions of life.

As a child we can't help but follow our parents' beliefs. A teenager begins to pull away from their family and see the holes in the beliefs we were taught. The ability to question and choose is important in the development of one's identity. It can be a lonely exercise.

Most teens are called rebellious and given pat answers. We need logical explanations in order to accept what we've been told.

This leads to what I call DESTRUCITY, the Spirit of Warrior. This allows people to make their own choices in the face of pressure from society.

My own life is a powerful testimonial to the power of self-belief. I believe we all have the Spirit of Warrior within us. Society will tell you making your own choices will only lead to confusion. This erodes the right into individual freedom.

My belief says our lives are the decisions of our Higher Self. The soul has always existed. I believe my parents were chosen to have me. They facilitated my search for balance, understanding the limit of my strength and to conquer the fear of my weaknesses.

My life was no mere coincidence. It is the result of a destiny chosen long ago. There is no such thing as coincidence. Each individual is searching for enlightenment. Their destiny is reached when they fully develop their self-belief. I am as sure of this as I am of the hands writing these words.

The world is full of scoffers. Society dictates their thoughts, following the drifts of popular opinion. Their inner strength is drained away to nothing. It's like being neck-deep in a quicksand, trapped and suffering as you slowly expire. The system kills slowly.

My life has brought me to the idea of DESTRUCITY, living life by the Eight Disciplines. Only I have the right to judge my own life. No-one can take that from me. Sadly, most people are merely puppets waiting for someone to pull their strings.

We all have the capacity to reach enlightenment. The voice of the soul guides you, and your success depends on how closely you listen. Creative people as those closest to ascension. They have taken on the responsibility their soul has given them.

Our life is intended to guide us to our destiny. My career as WWF Champion Ultimate Warrior is only a short chapter of my life. My belief allows me to hear the lessons my soul wishes to teach me.

My entry into the comic book industry is no more a coincidence then my career as a sports entertainer. I believe that the destiny of the Warrior comic is already a part of my own destiny.

My destiny has always been to be WARRIOR.

The burden this places on me is to tell you of your own Warrior Spirit. Society may tell you to ignore the voice within, the voice you've always heard. Warrior #1 is the call for you to listen.

Summary - I started to question society as a teenager thanks to my imaginary friend. I never stopped, believing more and more in my destiny to foster the individual creative spirit of everyone.

This concludes the content of Warrior volume 1. Please ask if you have any questions or if any point was unclear. We will continue with volume two on the schedule of whenever I get it done (probably a few days).

Added Space fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 6, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm... gonna be totally honest, when you translate his philosophy from Warrior-babble, it's not horrible. He basically arrived at a lot of Nietzchean concepts from base principles, which is kind of impressive to me.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The primary goals of this translation are clarity, following the original intent of the author, and minimizing my own additions. These goals occasionally come into conflict, such as pages appearing in a suboptimal order or two characters having a silly argument over a topic that is far too silly to be credible. In all of these conflicts I have defaulted to clarity being the main concern.

The greatest loss to this ideal is the poetry and subtlety (such as it was) of the original work. Many of the ideas that are explained in metaphor or left to implication are bluntly spelled out to avoid confusion. There is a wholly untranslatable essence of vitality to Warrior's words, and I do suggest you track down this comic yourself if you enjoy his speaking style.

In this part Warrior refers to the concept of Dualism, the idea that the mind and body are separate entities.

Volume 1 review

Warrior's soul has entered the Terrain of Testament, a realm after death where a person faces trials to show they can fully embody the ideals they most hold dear. He faces these trials, as well as unexpected interference from an unknown source.

On Earth, Warrior's body lies in a coma as his girlfriend Dana watches on helplessly.

Click for part 3!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
How much did you have to lean on the explanatory essay(s?) or external materials to make sense of this? Because if the answer is "not a lot", then well loving done.

Added Space posted:

There were five issues. Three were in this style. One was an collaborative art book which I will skip. The last is a bit special, for reasons I will explain later.

Was the comic completed? Or was it cancelled before Warrior could pass on his final pearls of wisdom?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

How much did you have to lean on the explanatory essay(s?) or external materials to make sense of this? Because if the answer is "not a lot", then well loving done.

Was the comic completed? Or was it cancelled before Warrior could pass on his final pearls of wisdom?

Context certainly helps, particularly in volume #3 and #4 where real life events began to bleed into the narrative. However for the first two volumes all that's required is a smattering of philosophy and a bit of insight.

There was a volume #5 promised in the back pages of volume #4, but it was never shipped. However, that's only the beginning of the madness, which I will elaborate more on when I get to volume #3.

Apologies, the back half of #2 is a hell of a lot wordier and I'm having to do more fixes.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Part 3 review

The people in Warrior's life are not taking his coma well. A bolt of energy sent by Rock hits Warrior's body and wakes it up.

In the Terrain of Testament, Warrior was confronted by a cyclone.

Click for part 4!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Volume 2 review

Warrior faces his third trial for the discipline I have translated as Self-Restraint. This challenge takes the form of a mirror which spits out a wild beast and blue copy of Warrior. The beast represents his own desire to attack those who threaten him. It is easily handled because Warrior is an intelligent fighter facing a mindless onslaught of aggression. The mirror self represents his own internal struggle against his negative emotions.

This sort of mirror battle against a dark copy of one's self is common in modern media. Two examples that leap to mind are the Magic Kingdom of Landover series and the game Final Fantasy IV. The traditional solution is to stop fighting, denying your aggressive self the energy to continue. This allows one to reach inner calm. However, as an ideal warrior, Warrior is not able to reach this type of solution. Instead he seeks to understand the root of his aggression, which he identifies as feelings of fear and helplessness stemming from childhood. Such fear has no place in the heart of an immortal, ideal being and hence is ruthlessly crushed.

This conception of fear as the root of violence is also common in modern media. Yoda had a monologue linking fear to suffering in Star Wars, and the anime Evangelion reflected on how fear and isolation leads to conflict. Since the purpose of this work was ultimately to be a new property of modern media, these influences are understandable.

The True Nature of the Warrior Comic

After only a handful of appearances after his return to WWE, Warrior was fired for the third and final time. At the time the company claimed this was due to missed appearances and disrespect to fans brought on by the death of Warrior's father. Warrior himself tells a very different story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZPvcA5eps&t=4885s

In an interview in 2005 Warrior tells a story of crashing the 1996 Licensing Expo in Las Vegas. This Expo was an opportunity for brands to showcase their new products and promotions. The WWE booth contained a number of elements from the Warrior comic, in particular the catchphrase "Always Believe".

In Warrior's mind there were two Warrior characters. There was the Ultimate Warrior who appeared in WWE shows and belonged to Titan Sports, Vince McMahon's company. Then there was the Warrior character that appeared in this comic that Warrior himself owned. In appropriating some of the trademark for this supposedly unique character, Titan Sports might be able to lay claim to any derivative works. Why is this a problem?

THE WARRIOR COMIC WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE LAUNCHING PAD FOR AN ENTIRE FRANCHISE!

This Warrior character we've been following was, in Warrior's mind, going to be the next great superhero. He envisioned a whole range of media; comic books, animated movies, live action movies, cartoon shows, and a whole range of toys and other merchandise. All owned and produced by Warrior's own company, Ultimate Creations.

Based entirely on the character depicted in this comic.

Outraged, Warrior intensified his legal struggles with Titan Sports in a feud that would last for two decades and multiple lawsuits. Including, on one memorable occasion, when Warrior launched a pro se lawsuit against his own legal team after they got him a frankly drat good settlement.

After leaving the WWE, Ultimate Creations was left with only three legs to stand on: Warrior himself, the Warrior character, and artist Jim Callahan.

The cracks began to show almost immediately as issue #3 was delayed due to Callahan's poor health.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Part five has been delayed by my own busy schedule. Callahan attributed his own difficulties to an existing health condition. He claimed he did not have the money for a surgery to correct the issue, instead relying on palliative treatments. Warrior was unsympathetic to these claims. I can only hope my readers are kinder.

Now keep in mind the WWE character Ultimate Warrior and the Warrior in this comic were supposed to be distinct. No overlap, Original Character Do Not Steal. Granted, Titan Sports had already tried to co-opt some of the branding. But then, Warrior is a man who seeks to be an ideal being. Such a man would certainly not stoop to base hypocrisy, right?

Watch this first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezqGdDbKlj4

Then read, Hulk Hogan:

Click for part 5!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I think if anyone ever said "no man is an island" in front of Warrior, he'd spontaneously combust.

lol

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Warrior and Altruism

Warrior was consistently a self-interested individualist. While he made occasional nods to worthwhile charity or helping someone out, largely he embraced a philosophy of complete self-sufficiency. In his own words:

Readings and Teachings - Social Philosophies posted:

Altruism
This claims the justification for your life is to serve others. Self-sacrifice and betraying all your values (except altruism) are primary demands. The standard of morality in altruism is the degree of selflessness for an action. The only justification for your own existence is to continue sacrificing and renouncing your own values for others. Individuality is crushed, and blatant crimes in the name of "selflessness" destroy man's spirit in an altruist society. It certainly does not mean a general good-will towards others, nor does it mean being charitable to worthy causes. Altruism is self-abnegation. (See also Collectivism, Utilitarianism.

This attitude was consistent throughout his life. In response to Hurricane Katrina, he decried the residents of the city of New Orleans for being decadent and corrupt.

Warrior's Machete posted:

If we could be shown what general conditions they lived in before the hurricane, we would see that had little respect for what they did have. We would see just how unorganized, unclean and dysfunctionally they lived. They never gave a care for order, cleanliness or function before, but now that they can get someone's attention who will possibly take over the responsibility of their life for them, they go on these tirades about how their life has been ruined. Their lives were already in ruin — self ruin. Ruined by the bad choices they made over and over.

[...]

And they are fat. Have you ever seen so many fat people? Poverty? Poverty of what? Having enough to buy so much food to eat that you become obese — this is poverty? Only one TV? This is poverty? A house with a roof over your head? This is Poverty? Indoor plumbing? Electric appliances? Refrigeration? Phones? Cell phones? Computers? Designer clothes made by rap stars? $200 Nikes? Free medicine and medical care if you really need it? Is having all this poverty? What the hell, then, do we call the scenes they shoot out of Africa that they use to lay guilt trips down on all of us?

[...]

They claim New Orleans was (is) a great city. Maybe once it was, I don't know. Too, maybe it's just always been corrupt as it has been for years and years. Truth is, today, it was nothing more than a pornographic cesspool of decadence and depravity. You know, an East Coast version of that Las Vegas take on vacation time — "what you do there stays there." You go there, drink and drink and drink and behave like a pervert, reprobate and degenerate, take a huge dose of antibiotics and a nice extra long shower before you hop on the plane back home, and, "Hey, who knows any better?" You go back to the church, PTA, and local council and "squarely" fit right back in. One thing is for sure, IF New Orleans ever was a great city, it certainly was not because it had leaders and citizenry like the leaders and citizenry it has today.

Outside of his praise for people he approved of, such as creatives and the support workers of wrestling, Warrior rarely had a kind word for anyone.

Part 5 review

Warrior passed two more trials in the Terrain of Testament, learning to ignore the irrelevant and conquer fear. More of his memories were unlocked, leading him to the city of Parts Unknown. Once the shining seat of the Terrain, this city has been captured by dark forces.

In the real world Rock leaves the hospital in Warrior's body. Stopping only to grab his motorcycle, he heads out to see what this body can do.

Click for part 6!

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 22, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

quote:

Seriously, if you're serious, send you're goods (your artwork, Einstein) to.

Emphasis mine. What's sad is the fact that he's got the right one next to it. :negative:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Wow, I had no idea The Eye Of Argon got a comic adaptation.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Warrior Christmas Special

Click Here to view

Warrior Christmas special was released during the time when art was becoming delayed due to Callahan's health condition. It is a pinup book with images most likely inspired by the prompt "Warrior Saves Christmas". It contains several images of Warrior dressing up as Santa, beating up theives, and delivering presents. I just want to highlight two images I feel are significant.

This is much more representative of Jim Callahan's usual art style. His company these days is known as Barf Comics and heavily features this gooey sort of art.

This is the most infamous image of the collection, commonly interpreted as "Warrior raped Santa!" Having closely studied the Warrior comic style, my belief is that the white mark on Santa's arm is supposed to be sweat. Given the generally heroic tone of the rest of the book we can say that Warrior was not responsible for Santa's current condition and believes Santa has enough inner strength to not require help.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 25, 2018

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Despite mild tragedy and broken bones, I press on.

Warrior, on the edge of death, has traveled to the Terrain of Testament. In this mythical land he faces trials in order to ascend to his ordained role as a beacon of hope for humanity. These trials have included defeating attackers, facing his deepest fears, and ignoring compassion to continue his mission. His perseverance has led him to the mysterious Parts Unknown, the central hub of the Terrain.

At the same time, the notorious Rock has corrupted Parts Unknown and is using it to drain the creative spirit and strength of humanity. He has possessed Warrior's body on Earth, tormenting the helpless.

Back in our reality, the business relationship between Warrior and artist Jim Callahan has completely fallen apart. Jim, citing health issues and moral objections to the book (according to Warrior), has failed to deliver book four at all. Warrior turned to new artists to keep the project alive.

Warrior, presented by Sharp Boys

Click for part 7!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Added Space posted:

Despite mild tragedy and broken bones, I press on.

You OK there, Added? :(

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

IronSaber posted:

You OK there, Added? :(

They weren't my bones. Wear your seatbelts, kids.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I must issue a correction. There are in fact two comic book artists named Callahan.

The owner of Barf Comics, skater dude James Callahan, is credited as the artist for Warrior in several online wikis. I have used these facts when refering to the artist. He is in fact not the artist.

This is Jim Callahan.

His art style is indeed very much consistent with the typical art in a Warrior volume.

I apologize for the error. A translation of Warrior's rant against Jim Callahan is in production.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Thanks to Mrs. Space for helping me read sections that were nearly illegible due to bad coloring.

Warrior Wisdom posted:

Callahan is a piece of poo poo.

You heard me. Don't just take my word for it, let me tell you the story.

As the publisher I am ultimately responsible. The publisher has to ensure every step from the first pencil sketch to the finished product being delivered to stores.

I didn't do it all myself, of course. In particular, I'm no artist. Anyone who's seen an artist work can recognize their talent. The best ones haven't even been to school. I mean I can tell a story, even do page layouts. However, my own first attempts with "How to Draw Marvel Comics" in hand lacked the storytelling of true art.

I learned just enough about printing and lettering to recognize talented professionals to hire. Thankfully I live in America.

Sadly, trusting in the good faith of your business partners is rarely a good idea. The system only works when every party meets thier obligations.

So called experts are writing a lot of about the problems in the comic industry, but few dare to point accusing fingers (or well deserved middle fingers) to those responsible. Maybe they'll take a couple of easy jabs, but not really commit to it. They can't bite the hands that feed them.

It's time someone took a stand and lanced this boil.

I'm pointing the finger at irresponsible artists, who claim "Attention Deficiet Syndrome" as an excuse to leave their work unfinished and flit from one publisher to another. Any young buck can put out a book or two, but only experience can show someone has the endurance to reliably produce. Somehow failures retain enough energy to blame others for their lack of product. They then leverage the little work they did to a new job with an unwitting smaller business.

These little guys may not be ready to take the financial hit of an artist as needy as a cancer patient. Even if they're smart enough to pass on demands for more time for less work, some less experienced printer will take on this charity case. The worst part is how this prevents any talented new creators from breaking into the industry.

I saw screw these goldbrickers. Every publisher can list at least five of these assholes, and throwing them back into the pond is just irresponsible to the industry. Just firing them is not enough, you have to let everyone know before they do more damage. Mike Renegar of Fan Magazine, I'm looking at you. You never had time for a good word for a good book.

It's up to me to set an example, and I offer up as a sacrifice one Jim Callahan.

He's been our artist since the beginning. He told me he had just told his wife "a comic project was going to be offered to me, which will restore my enthusiam about the combic book industry." While I was designing the Warrior comic book character (a takeoff on my trademarked pro-wrestling identity Ultimate Warrior) Callahan was very patient answering questions I had. We agreed to $200 a page for pencils and inks, and a fee of $25 per page to supervise the final color pass.

He very optimistically claimed he could do a page a day. However, the two months of buffer we planned was eaten up by a scheduling problem with the advertisements. By the time volume 3 came out we were five months behind.

He told me he had an existing condition that would lay him up for a couple of days now and then. I told him he should get the procedure he needed done now, since he was going to have to one of these days. He kept putting it off.

After he was done with volume 3 Callahan got so sick he had to have the surgery. Obviously his health was more important then the book, and we were already behind, so I just pushed the project off until next year.

Our usual financial agreement was half the money for each issue up front. I knew he would have huge medical bills so I gave him the entire amount for volume 4 up front, $5650 in all.

Before he went to the hospital he had no problems having his kids read the book. They even called us Uncle Warrior and Aunt Dana. We'd spend hours talking about the concepts of the book and what a priviledge it was to work on it.

Afterward, he wrote me a letter saying his kids couldn't read the book due to a few cuss words. What's more, he's now a born-again Christian and working on the book goes against his beliefs. What?

There's far more judgemental, submissive assholes in churches then rational people. Hey, Callahan, Destrucity has a God Force, that not good enough for you Mr. Holier-then-thou?

The best workers are the people who believe in the project. This goes more so with comics. Every artists knows this. There has to be a meeting of the minds between penciler and storyteller. Having someone radically change their mind is disheartening. Even worse when we had a great phone call on Wednesday and I get a letter on Thursday. I call him back and he just blames the painkillers.

I suspected he had just let his true feelings slip, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt since he was recovering and stared talking about volume 4, which I had already paid for. I said he should call me when he got started. One week later, he says he'll start next week. Two weeks after that, nothing. I called him and he got defensive. I pressed this issue and we started an argument. He had made the worst mistake of his life – loving me over.

He told me to stop calling and he would finish the half the book by March 1st and the rest by the 15th. Both of those have passed I have nothing. His phone has been disconnected.

Callahan, I'm putting you on notice. You owed me 25 pages of artwork, now you owe me the $5650 I gave you. What goes around, comes around. You are not a man of character. Take a look in the mirror, and think of what you're teaching your boys.

Sometimes we fail at our goals, but outright theft by an adult with kids can't be easily dismissed. You are a liar and a thief, a piece of poo poo, and more. I could forgive you if you showed remorse. Changing your number and refusing to talk to me is unforgivable. Stringing me along with a fake deadline just makes you look worse.

(A section of the text is missing, since there is a page break here and the next page starts in the middle of the sentence. It may be a full two-sided page, 40% of the entire length of the essay. Presumably the missing text is further insults against Callahan.)

Don't try to compare yourself to anyone else in the industry; next to them you're scum.

I was even contacted by the California Child Support Division about money I paid to Callahan. Seems he missed child support payments, even though he asked me for advances specifically to pay for that. How could he spend money on himself before his kids? If you have a problem with me talking about this issue – BITE ME. There is no guy code here. Having kids and then not taking care of them is loving irresponsible. Just leaving them suffering until they become more of society's garbage like you. It's black and white wrong.

You may be asking me why I'm going on at such length about this. One word – Responsibility. Take twenty minutes and go listen to the news. The whole world's perception of right and wrong has become crazy. People like Callahan get sympathy and told about how hard life is. Chances are his new born-again friends have convinced him that I'm the Anti-Christ. It's not wrong to cheat and steal from the Anti-Christ, Jimmy. How evil I am, telling people to take control over their own lives instead of letting the church do it.

Jim Callahn is the kind of person Mike Renegar of Fan Magazine talked so vaguely about. Hey Callahan, when I come for you, don't bother looking over your shoulder. I'll be looking you right in the eys.

Irresponsibility is irresponsiblity, no excuses. Tolerating it just allows the system to crumble. Ever wonder why more people aren't called out?

It's because telling the truth takes courage. When you accuse someone you put your own actions and credibility on the line. I'll stand by all my words and actions. That's how I live. Challenge me if you want. I am Warrior, and am Ultimately Responsible.

Jim Callahan is currently the owner of Ronin Studio, who lists fellow Warrior contributer J. D. Smith in its staff. He has several other comic books to his credit, but does not seem to have been a major contributor to any title.

I sent him an interview request about his work on Warrior and his response to these allegations. He has not responded.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One little tidbit that you may find interesting: early in his career, before he developed the Ultimate Warrior character in the WWF (which was just an evolution on The Dingo Warrior character he had in the World Class Championship Wrestling promotion based in Texas), he competed in Oklahoma's Mid-South and Memphis' Mid-Southern territories in a tag team called The Blade Runners. His partner, known as Sting, would go on to achieve world wide fame in WCW.

But the Warrior's name at the time?

Rock.

So is the "Rock" in this book meant to be a previous incarnation of The Warrior? A duality of the struggle within?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We reach a conclusion, whatever that may be here.

Click for part 8!

Warrior and Rock

A common character type is a foil. This is named after a technique in jewelry, where a bit of reflective metal is set behind a gem to reflect light. This makes the gem brighter and more attractive. With Rock, we can see Warrior's signature duality, as the philosophical reflection invited by Rock is matched by their differing attitudes to literal reflections.

In volume 2, "Mirror Image", Warrior was confronted with a mirror that created enemies and which he shattered. He was uncertain of his own nature and seeking to evolve into something new. Here we see Rock admiring his own twisted reflection, very comfortable with who he is and what his purpose will be. While this makes him more fully realized then Warrior, it also makes him stagnant. Warrior would probably agree with Tyler Durden's speech, "May I never be complete, may I never be content." Rock is quite content.

In the comic Rock has taken control over Parts Unknown and thereby the Terrain of Testament. Although Rock is rarely seen, his presence has been felt since the second page, as he is the master of the demonic forces that assaulted Warrior when crossing the veil. Rock's domination is the reason the first thing Warrior did was pass out. Now he has possessed Warrior's body on Earth, traveling the world, ruining his reputation, and is now threatening to return to kill Warrior's wife.

We see in this last section him collecting resources through the deaths of humans, something he has been doing for a while as we saw in the plane crash. Rock is collecting epinephrine, a hormone that is associated with combative impulses and to which Warrior attributes his own athletic successes. According to Warrior, high levels of epinephrine and testosterone indicate a high level of spiritual advancement. By stealing this material Rock is denying these people the ability to continue their spiritual journey.

The trial represented by this confrontation I labeled "Unwavering Conviction". Upon seeing his true dark reflection, Warrior has no choice but to dedicate himself completely to its destruction. These two forces cannot exist at the same time. Only one can triumph.

Inspiration

My first naive thought was that Rock represented the negative impulses in Warrior himself, something that caused the disrespect to fans and colleagues that lead to him being fired. Upon looking into his life further, Warrior was very proud of those negative impulses and seemed to cherish grudges.

Davros1 introduced the possibility that Rock is an old character reused for this comic.

My personal conjecture right now is that Rock represents the character of Ultimate Warrior as a heel, a wrestler persona meant to be viewed negatively.

For most of his career the Ultimate Warrior character was a face, a positive character. Warrior was very proud that kids could view him as a role model. This eventually lead to the Ultimate Warrior being the number one champion of the World Wrestling Federation over Hulk Hogan.

However, Vince McMahon felt that the character was not a sufficient draw. The spotlight was given back to Hulk, with Ultimate Warrior to be his rival. I think this forced Warrior to rethink the character. Not by making him overly proud, but by having the character shadowed and overtaken by a negative force - to parallel the negative force he felt of managerial mandate over his personal creativity.

Rock is the ultimate expression of this tension, a force of orthodoxy crushing men and draining their vitality to maximize his own power.

I think it no coincidence that Vince McMahon's name and the name of his company, Titan Sports, are mentioned in proximity to the ruin of lives that Rock created.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 15, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...when did this come out again? Because if this is mid-late 90s, there's a pretty obvious candidate for who "Rock" is supposed to be.

Y'know, the guy who literally calls himself that, but with a The.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...when did this come out again? Because if this is mid-late 90s, there's a pretty obvious candidate for who "Rock" is supposed to be.

This was published 96-97 I believe, so just barely before/right as The Rock became uh The Rock, so I think it's probably not him. I mean it could be especially if the story was tweaked after the delays, but at the point this was mostly written Dwayne Johnson's shtick was being a babyface from a family dynasty. and I don't remember him really being a big deal until attitude era.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

As I pointed out above, when the Ultimate Warrior started wrestling, he was a heel who went by the name of "Rock".

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Epilogue and Speculation

Despite a promise of another volume, one was never produced. No further or supplemental material was ever released.

Three trials remained; those of Association, Integrity, and Wisdom. I cannot say what they would entail. Association would suggest gathering allies, but Warrior's steadfast individualism would seem to preclude this. Possibly he would act to inspire followers. Integrity suggests some sort of temptation, much as given by Satan to Jesus. Wisdom would no doubt be his final confrontation with Rock, although I couldn't even begin to guess how wisdom would be involved in this. Given that we've seen several multi-page essays labelled “Warrior's Wisdom”, I can only guess Rock would be defeated by a John Galt level speech.

I believe, were the series to continue past this point, it would be more in line with the short story we saw at the end of volume 1. We would follow people awakened and inspired by the example of Warrior to improve their own lives.

Life and Times of Warrior

After his final departure from the WWE, Warrior would attempt to leverage his recognition in other pursuits. He had a short stint with WCW which everyone, including himself, agreed was underwhelming before retiring from active wrestling. For a while he worked as public speaker. In one engagement he began to argue with the audience, famously saying "queering doesn't make the world work". After that he retreated from public view to sell branded merchandise, motivational tapes, and pursue his many lawsuits. None of his various attempts to return to the spotlight were successful.

Events reached their culmination in April 2014. A favourable compilation of his work with WWE was released, and Warrior was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. His last appearance in the ring was April 7, 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR08M6EUd0g

Warrior proved to be one of few men given the privilege of delivering his own eulogy, as he died the day after this event.

To borrow his style of blended meanings, I would say that Warrior's central characteristic was Pride. The emotional pride of a man who was fiercely protective of his image and his work; and a Pride as a group bound by a common interest. He fought for his whole life to be the leader of such a group, before finally finding a place as a mere member at the last.

Legacy

Warrior is survived by his wife Dana Warrior and their two daughters. Dana Warrior currently works with the WWE as a spokesperson.

In 2015 the WWE created the Warrior Award to honor “unsung heroes” among wrestling fans, and in 2017 started an “Unleash Your Warrior” campaign to promote cancer awareness. Despite an attempt to remove or cover up Warrior's many controversial statements following his death, enough memory remained to create a backlash against these efforts.

It's very tempting to look at the events of April 2014 as the touching end to a long and pointless feud, and subsequent efforts as an attempt to use Warrior's fame to accomplish good in the world. However, I have a very different view. I see a man who saw himself as an incorruptible ideal, certain in his rightness and virtue, see the futility of all his efforts. Warrior's long held desire to control his creative products and triumph over all who opposed him had met the ruin of time. I believe that Warrior was aware of his own impending death. I will say one unreserved positive thing for Warrior – he was brave enough to recognize his folly, realize his mortality, and provide for those most important to him, his family. He spent his last days rebuilding the one relationship that would best see them cared for, despite what it must have cost him emotionally.

Untitled by Pat Loika, on Flickr

The 23 year feud ended with Warrior and his image now an action figure for Vince McMahon.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Added Space posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR08M6EUd0g

Warrior proved to be one of few men given the privilege of delivering his own eulogy, as he died the day after this event.
God drat, he must have known he was on the way out when thinking up that speech.

Thanks for the translations Added Space. It's nice to know Warrior didn't ride that wave of intransigence to the bitter end and gently caress things up for his family in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I meant to post kudos to you forever ago when you started this labor of love to show BSS the interesting philosophy and art of a complicated man but seeing on social media that today would've been his birthday reminded me of this thread.

A prominent retired-than-unretired professional wrestler (think multiple WWE Championship winner from the 2010's) and his wife used to live a couple houses down from me - even though Ultimate Warrior was way before this guy's time, he was always such a big fan of the sport, I wish I could've talked to him more about this.