Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

The BBQ joint has been open since 46 - the original spokesman for the place was Tennessee Ernie Ford, and the owner of this place went on to make much more money with his other restaurant Coco's - the business was recently bought after the currnet owner wanted to retire by a group... they claim they are going to keep it the same, but time will tell. I offered my design services for free to preserve this place for generations.

You eat sixteen ribs, and what do you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I pretty much figure it has to be custom.
I'm just wondering if there's a guy on https://www.customchromeshitforyouroldcar.com that I'm not aware of, or if I'm just going to have to go down the rabbit hole of tracking down a local guy.

You might also explore getting a part 3D printed in metal and chrome plated, which might work out cheaper than the classic metalworking approach.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

worthless bump but I think anyone interested in these cars should see this amazing documentary put out by the HVA on the coolest Merc ever built.

I watched this several times in a row over and over - you can see the passions of the men involved in its restoration and the true admiration and love of the car by Jim the owner.

It's a fantastic little film that explores the history of the car, George and Sam Barris, and the mentality of a lot of the guys in the so cal hot rod/custom scene - having grown up around some of the guys in the documentary and knowing George personally, this is such a cool look in to a moment in time.

This was posted in 4 parts over the past few weeks, but this is the full version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5GfqfKnrg

Absolute pro click.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

the kid loves it too

LobsterbabyX always seems really into it! :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That radio is spectacular.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From a different thread, something that will probably appeal to you:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Check out this sick posting rig

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The other thread is a “post pics you found” thread; the Komet appears to be in a store but I don’t have any additional context. I can ask the person who posted it though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:worship:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Amazing find! :eyepop:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looking at the Wikipedia page, I would be very interested in hearing about the Gilmore Guys. I will also make it a point to hit Lawry's next time I'm in LA (November, maybe).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I could go on and on about LA spots! ever been to Pann's? Perhaps the most in tact 1950s diner in the world - the original owner Rina passed away at 102 years old only a few years ago, she was a regular staple at the counter every lunch time.

Love this. I grew up in rural Tennessee, went to school in Atlanta, and have lived in the DC area ever since, and I just love all the neat little things in southern California every time I'm out there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

but its not big enough to make my other favorite depression era food "egg-in-a-hole"

We did these in Boy Scouts but stuck a sausage link in there and called them "glory holes" because we were a crass troop and it's the height of comedy when you're 14.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That company in Texas that bought the name and spare parts still plans to do production of new DMC-12s under the low volume replica rules.

https://www.newdelorean.com/blog/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Attn LBX: vintage magazines up for grabs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm consulting with Dr. Blaze iykwim.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm assuming you didn't have any problems with tailgaters on that drive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

RIP Lobsterboy’s wallet

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

If you know what that is, you're alright in my book.

All part of the show...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

She is your 'colleague.'

I prefer the term "unindicted co-conspirator".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Enjoy!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you live in your bookmarks, peep this post:

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Thanks for the great advice, I'll check some of those places out. I guess I should try to decipher these old invoices so they know what's been done to the beast.

I also inherited his 1937 buick century that I partially learned to drive stick on, so I won't be without a car to remember him by when I sell the pantera. Just need to get a house with a dang garage. Here's a bad pic of that one...

Funny story, that was his first car when he was 19. Ran it until the ground and got rid of it then years later decided he wanted one again. Bought one sight unseen in rough shape in CO, drove it home through a blizzard. Then he discovered some lovely angle iron underneath that he sloppily welded on to tow his Harley with... he had rebought his exact first car. So then he maybe went overboard with the restoration. It was his baby for sure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had a Hess tanker truck toy as a kid in the 80s.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm sorry you're having to deal with a one-two punch like that. Be well and remember the good times and long friendship you had with Frank.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been going to these for many years for just about anything you need, and I realize that I am extremely spoiled having so many of these specialty businesses within a 10ish mile circle- southern california was a hotbed for aerospace, and a lot of the areas were built on the back of aerospace - these little specialty shops are quite amazing..

This is something I feel about Southern California in general, that I can find anything there if I just look long enough. I'm sure many large cities are like that, but in the US I've only felt that electric sense of possibility in LA.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

they also have the best original poster collection ever...

I'm not much of a disney fan but these rule.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DrChu posted:

Got my stickers earlier this week, the letter was a great touch.

Same, I have a few friends who will be sporting these soon. Is it ok to photocopy the letter to pass to them along with the sticker?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Wikipedia article on it tells about its various ownership gyrations over the last 50 years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain McAllister posted:

This was just posted in a dump on Imgur. It reminded me of your decals and I posted an Etsy link in the comments, so if you suddenly get an explosion in traffic or orders, that's why...

On a side note, can you do repro plates?
Edit: apparently they're already a thing.

The :smug: expression on her face always cracks me up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I tried to have our wrap party at the neon graveyard where they filmed the ending of Mars Attacks but they're talking about some of this new fangled meow wolf crap

I did the neon museum and Omega Mart on the same day last time i was out there. OM is really neat and well-crafted if you take the time to do and read EVERYTHING but I was in there for four hours and could have probably been there another two. Get the pass card, you're locked out of some of the story without one.

Neon Museum is definitely more your speed if this thread is any indication though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm sure you have a baseball card expert in your trusted friend group so get with that person to evaluate and unload them, a cursory eBay search indicates that Mantle card is an easy five figgies by itself but there are a bunch of ways to get taken to the cleaners in baseball card land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

game day was pretty hectic - I made it to the stadium just in time to see lil' Billy

like all old rockers, he now talks too much and has more political opinions that never come off quite strong. nice day for a white wedding indeed.
I saw him a few months ago and he definitely has to pace himself a bit these days. Sting will still jump around the stage all night though.