Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

as far as updates, its slim and none, except I picked up this bad rear end 5' tire sign!

Neat!

quote:

went thru some old pictures and realized I've been in to cars pretty much since day 1

also my cruise night made it in to a magazine!

Both of those are great. I've definitely been into cars from the beginning - was infected by my dad. I have toy cars and Hot Wheels from back then, and many more that I remember, but disappeared for various reasons...
I really need to visit my folks and scan some of the old pics of us with Dad's '55 Chevy (he still has it - though it's badly in need of love.)
Also, I think some of those toys are still up in their attic.

One of these days, maybe, I'd like to have a true hot rod. Closest I have is my '70 Cutlass, and oldest I ever had was my '68 El Camino. Definitely love the simplicity of the older stuff, especially when more modern stuff is being problematic. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Captain McAllister posted:

The fan part works perfectly. This one seems a little unusual in that it has an oscillator, and that's what isn't working.

Googling only turns up loving pinterest links or old ads.

Oscillation is usually very simple. It's just a worm gear driven from the fan motor turning a shaft connected to an arm linked to the base. The only thing I can think of that would go wrong is either the gears stripping, or the mechanism that allows disengaging it failing with it disengaged.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

With respect to your GP bomb: "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."

DITTO!

sorry, had too. It's an autonomic response.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm... not sure how you managed to wire an ammeter wrong?
Basically you put all the power for the car through it, so: battery/generator -> keyswitch -> ammeter -> everything. That's part of the reason we don't use them any more: full current running through the dash. Wasn't as huge an issue when you only had ignition and a few lights, maybe 20A max. Now we're throwing 200A around...

That dual intake is nice, but year, moving the sediment bowl will be annoying.
Neat pipe!

edit: I am wrong, a bit. Looks like "everything" - except the starter, but including the alt/gen - connect to the "+" side of the ammeter, and then the battery connects to the "-" side.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 9, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, I hadn't even considered the fact that a lot of older cars are anything but 12V negative ground. Makes for some entertainment.
I'd probably rewire for 12V neg, but I used to install mobile electronics for a living, so not *too* afraid of wiring. At least in your car, you'd only need like a 3 circuits. :P

I know I'd prefer the fuel tank in the back, but, hey, it made it 90 years so far, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

also, new tool alert

one of the most finger destroy-e-est jobs just became a lot easier.

Ratcheting cam-action crimpers of any sort are absolutely the poo poo.
Next up is cam -action pliers, particularly diagonal cutters (that end up being miniature bolt-cutters, basically.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

cloth covered suppression core wires give me a weird boner...

Cloth jacketing with a contrasting thread running through it just looks so good. I have several computer cables with braided covers like that. And I really want to use the Russell braided hoses that have a similar look on my Cutlass.

quote:

I just got a set of these BAMF's too... I've heard a lot of goodness about them, and I've been a channelock guy forever, so this is a bit of a departure from my norm - I also got the smooth jaws because :monocle:

0.o
I didn't know those existed. Do want.

quote:

I want to get this set as well, because youtube says they're great.

I have two pair of actual Channel-loc ones like those, in two different sizes. I bought them specifically because of the more angled head, and the jaws designed for round stuff. They've been pretty useful. I can only imagine the Knipex are better.

Edit:
Oof, those Knipex Pliers Wrenches aren't cheap, are they?

$55 for the 10"
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4OG94

a hair cheaper ($48) if you get the black finish:
https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-Pliers-Wrench-8601180/dp/B07YLFLSJW/
edit again: ah, those are the smaller size.
Black finish 10" is $57:
https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-86-01-250/dp/B07JNFYMLX/

StormDrain posted:

I wanted a set of the pliers wrenches for so long it should come as no surprise that I was disappointed. Probably compounded by the fact that I didn't buy them with any sense of need, they were just on sale. My main gripe is they're hard to adjust. When they're at the right size they're good and fine, but I'm very partial to the locking adjustable wrench.

The Cobras look amazing but I have a set of Irwins that are good enough and I can't imagine them being that much better.

The locking adjustable wrench is also on my list.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 30, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

in other news, I've been given this:

dont know where I'm going to put it yet, but for free, I cant say no - maybe a old school dust bowl era camper build?

I spy artillery wheels. Well, one, anyway.
Wait - those a wood spoke wheels? Wow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The caps really threw me, since those belong on steel wheels of some sort. Kind of curious how those are attached, since the hub on the woodies should be just a bit bigger than the bolt pattern. Like maybe a 6" cap.
Personally, I think the trailer is neat, and just needs a once over to ensure the frame is solid, and new wood. Or better wood, at any rate. I've certainly seen sketchier.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That TV is amazing.

That radio is definitely cool as.

Echoing angryrobots on the squarebody.

And I'd argue that the trailer is no more dangerous than the average Harbor Freight trailer... :P
You got some neat old tools there, too!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

one of them being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DS6wIhOsZ4

in a 1947 buick going over 160mph

I am severely disappointed in the lack of "pure sound" in this video.
Straight-eights are neat. Dad had a '48, I think it was, in a collection of cars he bought from an estate, but he resold it without getting it running. I really wanted to keep the Lincoln Zephyr with the flathead V12, too.
I did get to see the basketcase Ford Model TT truck after it was restored by the buyer, which was cool. The only thing left from that collection is the 455 from the '7x Electra 225, and the 500 Cad from a Sedan Deville, I think.
It took us days to haul all those cars and parts home. And it was before dad got an electric winch on the trailer, so guess who was cranking the mechanical winch (I was like 16-17)?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

The video I made from a news cast that also had no sound - just figured it'd be better to put a fun song over it rather than the stereotypical 90's newscaster blab

Fair.

quote:

so this zephyr... tell me more...

Dad bought the contents of an old guy's shop and the cars in and around from his estate. Off the top of my head, there was the '70-ish Caddy, SDV, the '70-ish Electra, the TT, a '56 Buick Special, the Zephyr, the Buick with the straight-8, and a Metro delivery van (full of alternators and starters.) I think that was all. I don't remember what all parts and junk there was, but there were two spare Lincoln V-12s as I recall.
An important detail is that this was back when I was in high school , which was, uh, 34-35 years ago. I have no idea who he sold it to, or where it went. It was likely sold via his spot at the Pate Swap Meet one year. It was a dark blue lacquer, what was left, which actually polished up when I tried it! It had hydraulic power windows. Automatic trans.
I really liked that car, and I hope it was either restored or hot rodded, as long as it was made to drive again.

And the more I think about it, the more I think the car with the straight-8 was a Pontiac, not a Buick, darn it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Love the rod, the Buick, and the kiddo. :)

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm thinking hard about adding another layer of 3/4" plywood on my workbench...but the thought of removing absolutely everything exhausts me

I made that effort, after 20 years of living in the house.
From this:

To this:

(partway through putting the bins in the vertical drawers)

(I built the shelves before the new workbench.)

I still have a lot to clear out of the garage, but it's much better organized now, and I love that workbench. *Trying* to keep the top at least halfway clear, but it's a struggle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

in other news, I painted my work bench

to:

I actually took my 1946 craftsman vise to the paint store and had them match it up - I'm trying to source some cool red drawer pulls for that cheeky industrial look, with these coke bottle green knobs on there it looks like your wife's friend shabby shiek project - I couldn't be happier with the color tho, I also chose a line of paint that has some mild chemical resistance, so maybe this will hold up a bit better.

That's a heck of an improvement.
I was kind of stunned myself how much better my workbench looked painted vs. raw wood, even new wood. I would love to fix drywall and paint my garage (and the floor,) but oof, what a project getting everything out. Next house is definitely getting the two-tone-with-a-stripe auto repair garage style.

PainterofCrap posted:

Years ago I built a remote starter button using a doorbell button, zip cord and a couple of big broad alligator clips. One side to BAT & the other to the solenoid lug. Still in my box, though I haven't had to use it in many & many a year, probably because I gave up on most vintage Chrysler products in 1995.

Workbench looks slick!

Pretty sure I have a "Lone Wolf 5000" (hat tip to Vice Grip Garage) somewhere in my Craftsman '70s-vintage auto tune up kit, but I've never actually used it, somehow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

thats the plan for all the cars - my tow vehicles have always been... out of period:

so the problem with towing with the wagon is that the wagon is just a sedan with a wagon body - there's really no beef up stuff with it, the springs are super soft and squishy and it has lever action shocks rather than tube shocks so doing a set of high jackers is a bit more complicated - I would like to eventually get it in to towing shape, it definitely has the power to do it.

Air bags. You should be able to find some that clamp onto the axle tube. If it's got coil springs, it's even easier.
Then you need to find a period trailer that's still built well enough for modern highways. Not that trailers have changed all that much. Just something kind of, I don't know... simple? Just enough to handle the roadster, basically.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

The trailer in the first photo is pretty drat good. Put wheel skirts on the fenders and paint it a complementary color, with pinstriping.

Yeah, maybe some period hubcaps and trim rings on the wheels. Trailers haven’t really changed a lot.

That coupe is awesome. I’m with your wife: patina original outside, clean and fresh inside and where you have to work on it.
I, too, favor paper manuals when I can find them. I have one for almost every car I’ve owned, plus a few I didn’t, for some reason. Digital ones are handy, though, for reference, quick searching thanks to OCR, and printing out a few pages so as not to mess up your original.

BTW, the carbs on that car are not unlike how the GM Tri-power worked. The middle carb was a full-on carb, while the two end carbs were functionally just secondaries - no idle circuits or chokes. I don’t recall if they had accelerator pumps. Guess your Buick’s setup was the granddaddy of the Tri-power. Roe just “daddy”, since I know GM use the Tri-power type setup on the mid-‘50s Olds V8. “J-2” it was called, I believe?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That is so cool :)

This was posted in the obsolete tech thread, and I thought it would be interesting to people in this thread:

https://twitter.com/MrGervaisWrites/status/1377048176830517256

(There's some video and more info in the twitter thread)

My next door neighbor when I was a kid (1974-1980) had one of those in his garage. He worked for Sun as an engineer, I believe. I should ask - he's my still best friend's dad, and was my boss for a year or so, to boot.

edit: I wonder if he still has it...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

That’s what my Cutlass had. The guy at the town starter and alternator shop was surprised that it was for a car, not a tractor.

Same here, also a Cutlass (1970, 35A externally regulated.) It's now a 90A GM 12SI (internally regulated.)

And OMG, those Meat Carts are incredible looking.
Now I need to go to Lawry's here in Dallas, even if they don't use those. Just because.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It almost feels weird saying this about a serving cart, but that's some goddamn metal artistry.

Yeah, that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Man, I wish I lived near you so I could help work on this stuff...
Or even near my coworker outside of San Jose, who's currently restoring a '67 Impala SS. I enjoyed my 2 weeks working in Southern CA back in ~2015, but I'm not sure I could afford to live there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

your coworker sounds cool

it's not that expensive here, you can find ok deals from time to time. i live in san jose, and im paying under $2500/mo for 2 bedrooms and a 1-car (that can't fit a car through the door, but thats beside the point)

He's a cool older than me but not buy a lot guy. This is the latest in several restorations he's done. All Impalas, I think.

So, for reference, my 3 bed, 1-3/4 bath, 2 car garage 1400 sq. ft. house on a 0.23 acre lot is currently under $1000/month, principal and escrow for taxes, etc. included. So if I can make double my current salary here in Dallas doing desktop support in Cali, sure!

LobsterboyX posted:

next time you come thru, drop in and see!

It's pretty expensive to live here and I'm getting down to my last straw with so-cal. I love it here, I grew up here, but I'm realllllly wanting to go get some giant victorian house with a giant garage in some town that was big stuff in the old days - these are dreams, my wifes family is here, and what little family I have left live all over the place so the only thing keeping us here is her family.

I want a sprawling ranch house with a shop on at least a half-acre, preferable a couple acres.

quote:

67 impala is a pretty clean year - I'm partial to 59, but who isnt...

'66 is good too. I drove my late great uncle's near mint '66 more-door just before it was sold, and it was smooooooooth. Cornered like a boat, though (no anti-sway bars.)

I like '58s, just because they're odd. Now, a '59 El Camino...

Cool find on the Dauntless air brakes, and that cowling is not only an wonderful gesture, but freaking cool

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

this is a video of the car running, I just dont know how to embed it?

You paste it using the Imgur-generated code, but it won't autoplay - you have to click on it to open on Imgur. Like this one:

(click to play on Imgur)

Yours doesn't seem to work, though.

super nailgun posted:

Love this thread and all of the amazing old cars and other stuff you share. I collect a bunch of stuff including old glassware along the same lines... Mostly go for branded coffee mugs, and oddball souvenir items (I love those dumb 60s/70s 'Siestaware' wood handled brown glass mugs!). Here's one of my favorites commemorating a local landmark of civil engineering:

My favorite "vintage" glass/cup is the aluminum/pewter tankards with the glass bottom. My folks have a set of these, and they were the cup to use when I was a kid (maaaaany years ago...) on pizza nights, the rare dinner that we were allowed to eat in front of the TV rather than the dinner table, and have soda!
I found a couple on eBay for a price I was willing to pay (not really expensive, but I have a limit on what I'll pay for a drinking glass) a few years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

"Generics" have pretty much been replaced by house brands at more or less the same price point.
There was something clean about the basic font and white packaging, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shouldn’t be *too* hard. You’ve got, what, six wires in that car? :P

Maybe n all seriousness, a basic 5 or 6 circuit kit from American Autowire or the like will likely get you everything you need, outside of the power sources and actual bulbs.

And LOL at California outlawing stuff that works because it could be slightly dangerous if you eat it or something. I’m assuming.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

I'd LOVE to find an old book about automotive electrical systems. .

I would imagine you could. I have several ‘60 textbooks on automotive systems and repair. They’re hand for understanding the way it was done, then. Also a couple vintage bodywork book, which are handy for DIY, when you don’t have all the fancy tools moser bodymen take for granted. A reprint “metal bumping” handbook for, I think, the ‘30s-‘40s is very useful for hammer and dolly techniques, for example. I got that free with the Martin hammer and dolly set I bought.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

why? why must things be like this...

this giant thing and the bridgeport behind it... ugh... how the hell am I going to move these things.

Oh, that’s a cute little Bridgeport!
I needs it.
Wouldn’t say no the the monster drill press, either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

Well, I passed on both of those machines, and the owner of them is now a client of mine so, I guess things are good.

so the indoctrination of my son is really paying off well - cars are "vroom vrooms" and doing this is one of his favorite things:

obviously I didn't drive him to the show, mommy drove him and grandpa (pop) meets us there, as he is a huge gear head himself. I also take him around the neighborhood like this and now he's waving at everyone from the car - I'm worried I'm going to get posted on nextdoor soon.

I'd bet that a large part of him enjoying cars is that *you* enjoy cars, and he wants to hang out and do stuff with dad. I know I did, and still do, with my dad. He definitely got me interested in a lot of the things I'm interested in, just from exposure.
This is not a bad thing.

quote:

when we're not driving around, we're playing with cool stuff like this:

I'm loving obsessed with this hot wheel - The local independent auto parts store owner is a loving genius - he has a little hotwheels display on the counter and all the dads and grandpas HAVE to buy one for their kids. got me, hook line and sinker

I'm not a huge fan of the modern hot wheels line - most of the cars that aren't based on real cars are dumb and plasticy however this one has an interesting story

It's called the Mattel Dream Car - this car is a tribute to one of first car toys they ever created in 1954

obviously a bit bigger than a hot wheel but now I'm on the hunt for one - this particular one is on ebay just south of $500 which is a bit cheeky, but I think they can be had for 100-200 bucks without the box

the design of it is most likely borrowd from the Barris creation "Golden Sahara"

read about this amazing vehicle here:

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/The_Golden_Sahara

Some day I want to make a trip to Chicago to see this thing.

other toy stuff, I got suckered in to buying this overpriced cool wooden car:

its drat cool and is very satisfying to hold and it rolls on really nice rubber tires..

I love Candylab's slammed Continental. I've got one of their musclecars.
I'm sure you know, but they've got rods, too:
https://www.candylabtoys.com/collections/americana

Also, check out this toymaker in the UK:
https://playforever.co.uk/
I'm in love with their "Leadbelly":

but more in line with your rides, they also have vintage indycars and roadrace cars.

And the Mattel Dream Car is indeed the poo poo. I've got a later edition of the Hot Wheel, but I'm still looking for the 2020 "New Models" version of it.
BTW, Matchbox makes a very nice trad '33 Ford Coupe. They also have it in a "rat" version, more modern versions with exposed engine, and there's also a nice traditional '35 Ford pickup.

quote:

speaking of fun... look what happened at cruise night

the old David Mann painting:

cruise night:

OK, that right there is the kind of thing that just makes me content with the world for a bit.
I once managed to get behind a second-generation RX-7 on the highway, and he was behind a third-gen, while I was in my first-gen. If only the second gen had been red like the FD and mine, it would have been perfect. Still had me smiling all day.

quote:

I found this old phone

Neat old phone!
My wife's paternal grandfather worked for Ma Bell here in Dallas for, well, ever. Retired from there. Because of that, my mother in law has an actual candlestick phone, and my late father in law wired it to an adapter that lets it plug into a standard jack, and the stupid thing works! No dial - this is literally the type where you pick it up and jiggle the hang-up lever to get the operator's attention - but it will *take* calls!
If that' not legacy compatibility, I don't know what is.
We also have a candlestick that's been converted to a lamp. My father in law just put a lamp stem coming out of the top of the microphone housing, and then wired the cord and lamp to the receiver hook contacts in the base. You take the earpiece off of the hook and the lamp lights. It's worked fine for umpteen years with incandescents, but I put an LED in to maybe put a little less current through those contact, though realistically, they are plenty beefy. Everything was overbuilt then.

quote:

I also had to get this keychain back in to rotation.. RIP.

I still have mine. I stopped using it back in the day because it made getting my keys out of my pocket a giant pain in the rear end. It's like a fishhook...
But I still dig it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

speaking of buying... I went to an estate sale this weekend and got this cool old bowling ball tackle box

it was filled with a bunch of hardware and some cool tools I kept, but the stars of the show were these awesome 1939 patent screwdrivers with fine adjust handles..

Awesome tackle box.
Are those aluminum handles on those screwdrivers? I've never seen the design with the bars for fine adjusting. That's a great idea, that I guess isn't really needed any more.

Delorean: well, yeah, they're kinda not the best design ever, and really compromised performance-wise with the lackluster PRV V6. Also, suspension arms in single shear :ohdear:
They *can* be pretty neat, but best approached as a typical '80s car. To be fair, even exotics from that period aren't fantastically impressive compared to modern stuff, though at least some handle quite well.
To my mind, the best Delorean would be lowered (they were raised for the US from the factory to meet headlight-height standards!) good modern tires, some upgraded suspension hardware (to help address the single-shear thing), maybe a set of wheels (I swear someone makes wheels that look like the OEM stuff, but in a bit larger sizes. Not *too* large, just like plus 1 or 2. Definitely something that looks OEM, though - those wheels are the poo poo on that car) and a better powerplant. An LS3, for example, or maybe a 3800SC to stay closer to period. Someone built one with a 20B, but I'm not sure which is more valuable in that case - the car or the engine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

My buddy recently bought this coupe and we've been going over to help him out with it, he has a daughter a few months younger than my son and the moms gab and dip their feet in the pool while the dads wrench on these rods. super suburban dad life activate, we need some new balances.

This reminds me that a Model A puttered down my street while I was working outside on the RX-7, and that just made my day. Clearly driven often, which made me happy. Looked pretty much stock and original.

quote:

as far as kid content is concerned - Watching this kid grow up is really amazing to me, I grew up in extremely interesting surroundings as he is. I dont have any photos I want to share of it, but for the past month I put him to sleep every night by the glow of a jukebox and some soothing music on 78 records. Its something I will treasure forever that I can share that with him.

That's a great picture!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

The model A platform is super cool in that respect, its about the earliest mass produced car that exists that still is functional today - the people that enjoy them as putt putts are great too! there's a guy who drives one daily near me, completely stock - we occasionally text back and forth asking about parts/ect - he's a 70 something year old man who very obviously is very vested in his car.

Some time ago, in the Before Times, I spotted a Model T at Home Depot. It had been upgraded with turn signals and comically over-specced Wilwood disc brakes (only on the rear!) but was otherwise stock. It was a later model that already had electric start. The gentleman and his wife’s came out as me and my friend were looking it over and talked about it a bit. They just… drive it on errands when it isn’t too hot, too cold, or raining. It was clearly a driver, with rock chips, dirt, and bugs on the bumpers, which was awesome.
It was so quiet when he fired it up and puttered away.

quote:

in other news

my 48 is undrivable as of today. ugh. more on this later.

Oh, heck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Also, if you don’t have an option to park the car further back on the trailer, maybe back it on. Even though it probably weighs gently caress all, your loading a bit front/hitch heavy, and that can cause interesting tow vehicle dynamics. Trailers work best basically balanced, or just a little nose heavy, as I recall. Tail heavy gets you that lovely tank slapping maneuver. (I might have that reversed - please correct me if wrong!)
Though, given the probably weight disparity between the tow-ee and the tow-er, it may not be an issue, and you’re right at the sweet spot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

a url tag around the actual mp4 or gifv should do it, like this

https://i.imgur.com/k6Xsds4.mp4

the post preview doesnt embed it properly tho

anyway, that cruise sounds like a perfect halloween outing. i wish i had a group of friends up here that did stuff half as cool

Holy poo poo - thank you! Now I can embed Imgur video correctly in my thread.
I've just been telling folks to click through.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

On those wheels, I'd probably see about removing the powder coat and welding up those holes and grinding it smooth, the recoating them.
It is amazingly annoying that the powder coater exposed that and then just went right ahead and coated them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Some very cool stuff in this thread.
I tend toward newer stuff, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate vintage hot rodding. After all, that’s where it all started!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

boxen posted:

"We fired our cannon 'till the barrel melted down
Then we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round..."

Man, I hadn't heard or thought about that one in like a decade or two.
Thanks, really. I'd forgotten.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

yes I did shock the everloving poo poo out of myself,

I have to admit I laughed out loud at work when I read this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I fully endorse slamming the kiddie car.

Make the color scheme match yours, but do this. Maybe not *as* low, depending on how much that fouls up the pedal drive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

not every day you get to hunt Easter eggs next to some WW2 era warbirds and an active runway - he was a little bit grumpy because we woke him from his nap - yeah, the cardinal sin of waking a sleeping child - it was important, the Easter Bunny himself arrived via Bell Jet Ranger.

Hell, I'm grumpy when someone wakes me up from a nap, and I'm 52...

PainterofCrap posted:

I enjoy it, but driving the '65 Econoline pickup is work.

Like having A/C in a car or house, my rear end has gotten soft over the past 40-years. It's hard to believe that most of the motoring public drove vehicles that are not only Spartan by today's standards, but illegal to build. Neither the pickup nor my '65 Fury had seatbelts installed (I've since put them in the Econoline)

I'm deathly afraid I will hate driving my '79 RX-7 when I get it functional again. I *know* I hate driving the AE86, but that's partially because it needs steering and suspension (and probably brake) work that I don't want to do. My Cutlass there are enough aftermarket bits available to make it at least competent compared to modern handling and braking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I converted to HEI on my '70 Cutlass after the first time the points went bad somewhere that was not home. I think I was able to limp home after filing the points a bit (they were crusty) and regapping. I replaced those then hit the wrecking yards for an Olds V8 HEI, which at the time was easy. It's still on there - second coil and several sets of caps and rotors, of course.
TBF, I kinda forgot it had points, and was not used to maintaining them. Also still a young college student at that point, so very much in learning away from home phase. It wasn't my first points car ('68 El Camino,) but the previous car was a '78 Monza that already had an HEI that I drove through the end of high school senior year and the first year of college.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

So immediately after contemplating a move to Sarasota, I thought of LobsterboyX

It’s certainly commitment to a theme. And what the hell else are you going to do with a snail-shell house.

That house is way cool.
Interesting to note how the modern fridge is bigger than the spot it occupies. I had the same issue in my (1964) kitchen - the new fridge overlaps the doorway to the garage a bit just like that. I measured to make sure the fridge would fit width and height, but never even though about it being too deep. Thankfully the door opens out into the garage.

I want that green chair.

quote:

it reminded me of peewees playhouse.... because it was peewees playhouse

Turns out this woman was Allee Willis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allee_Willis

here's more info, in her words, about the house:

http://alleewillis.com/williswonderland/

Holy crap, that's amazing!
I'm not sure I could live the kitsch lifestyle, but I definitely appreciate the aesthetic. One of the things I love about Fallout is the retro-50s/Atomic Age feel to everything.

STR posted:

Time to go full on great-grandparents and put plastic covers on everything. :v:

Seems like a decent compromise, at least until he's older and can appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DUDE WAGON