Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Problem description: Recently I started having a problem where some embedded videos cause the browser displaying them to freeze for several seconds - any browser. I've tested it on Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and I've even had it happen with Slack. On Firefox the videos usually fail to play after this, displaying an error, but Chrome recovers more gracefully, allowing them to play normally afterwards. This applies to pretty much everything hosted on sites like imgur and Twitter (here's an example of a problematic imgur video), and about half of the Youtube videos I've tried to watch since this started happening.

Here's an example of a Youtube video that causes the issue
And here's one that doesn't

The pattern I've noticed is that the videos that don't exhibit the problem use the vp9 video codec, while the ones that do all use avc1.

Attempted fixes: Updated my video card drivers. No idea where to go from there.

Recent changes: Nothing other than regular Windows and video card driver updates.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803

System specs: Intel i5-3570K, AMD Radeon HD7950, 8gb RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, ASUS P8Z77-V Lk

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=846

And then try reinstalling the latest AMD drivers.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
It worked, thanks!

• Locked thread