Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

vivisectvnv posted:

hopeless addict reporting

that Milinkovic-Savic though :elongate: :tito:

Same. Love to hate this franchise and will sink many hours into building a stupid team that is slightly different than most but same in all the important ways.

Kill me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

RCarr posted:

Where do I see if a player has a special trait or something that I see people talk about sometimes?

Also, I bought Jordi Alba for my EPL squad, because I thought I had the filter set to EPL when I didn't. I can slot him in and my team's chemistry is still 100. Is that ok? Or will he play worse due to some FIFA magic and his links with surrounding players being red?

Your team will be fine. Jordi Alba will be marginally less good than he could be. On the other hand, Jordi Alba is really expensive and you could spend those coins buying players that are actually perfect for your team.

ps I wish I had 76k coins to blow on a left back

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

RCarr posted:

I mean I can sell him and make my money back and get someone who fits. So there is a penalty for red links? Even if you still have 100 chemistry?

Yeah, players have individual chem too and anything below 7 really does mess up their skills a bit. Don't know what Alba is at but in that setup it couldn't be over 5 I think.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I made it into division 4 today after having a good run with the 4-3-2-1. It feels a bit wider than last year which helps with my style of play. Thanks Seltzer for recommending IF Mandzukic. He's killer for winning balls in the final third and catching people unaware.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Luigi Thirty posted:

Help I got this game to play while I’m job seeking. All I know about football games I know from playing FM since the 90s. Is there a video series online somewhere on the subject of “how to play defense that is not a spaghetti strainer” because uh yikes I won a bunch of single player FUT games and hopped online, bad decision.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1051387240365117440

Try searching for fut 19 defense tutorial on youtube. Krasi and Ovvy have good tips. Although Krasi himself annoys the poo poo out of me I've definitely learned stuff from his videos.

e: Is anyone else thinking of doing Flashback Juanfran? Seems like he could genuinely be a good RB for the rest of the season until TOTS hits.

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2018

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Masonity posted:

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/6fLIQn6 any ideas on a good left back who will fit my squad? After that I'm saving for a top top striker to replace morata.

Andy Robertson would be good for your squad. I like Ben Davies though he's a good cheap option.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

The two main issues with your squad right now is the midfield and the formation imo. I just dont find the 41212(2) good this year. Secondly your CMs are basically Cams you moved back. They are weak and defensively suspect. Your Cdm is also not really suited for the role, his strength height and defense is too low. If you want to stick with that formation move gundogan to CM, sell cesc and ozil, and get in some new faces at CM and CDM. For a cheap option Ndidi (CDM) and Seri (CM) are good replacements. If you want to drop some more coin look at Fabinho (CDM) and Dembele (CM).

lol I didn't even look at the rest of the squad. yeah listen to this guy you have more important issues to fix than your LB.

e: you just beat me to it. In formations that don't have CDMs it pays off to have CMs that are defensively capable because they still need to protect your backline. You want guys that have the speed to track back and decent defensive skills, mostly interceptions and tackling in my experience. Fabregas and Ozil are useless in this regard and Gundogan isn't great either defensively. Herrera and Seri are better options.

As for formations I'm still playing around with a bunch of different ones. The 4-3-2-1 seems to be working well for me but only because all 3 CMs I use have decent speed and are reasonably good defensively. If you are having trouble on defense I'd recommend the 4-2-3-1. Wide or narrow doesn't really matter as long as your two CDMs are good at defending as well as moving the ball.

As has been mentioned in the thread before the 4-3-3 (4) is good this year as well.

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 15, 2018

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Meant to ask you guys earlier... Has anyone tried any of the 3 ATB formations and if so how have they been?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

I have not but I'm gameplanning one. Essentially I messed around with a real goofy 41212 wide to see how it was this year and it was ok. However I found subbing on IF mandzukic at halftime and telling him to join the defense was really effective and confusing for the opponent. Gives you a defensive bonus in a generally exposed formation and Mandzukic was still in good positions to score on offense. I want to build an expensive serie a 352 around that idea. I just need a good pacey striker to pair off with mandzukic and options are limited. Mertens would be great but that's expensive.

Speaking of expensive I just bought 20 IF Stuanis for 12.5k, 20 Hofmanns for 13.5k, 20 Alcacers for 14k, and 10 Ospinas for 11k. The real smart buy of the week was 84 IF Howedes for the Bundes POTM at 14-15k but the word got out I guess and he moved up. Stuani is 83 rated and can be used in liga Potm, Hofmann is german can be used in the Bundesliga potm(which will probably be Reus), Alcacer is at Reus' club. Ospina is a whatever buy, he's discard and the only good colombian keeper so he'll rise slowly, but not amazingly, off of that. I think you can lose on Stuani 12-13k and Hofmann 13-14k. Those are my tips right now. If Howedes comes down to 14-15k though that's the best buy.

Cool, I'm going all in on those tips of yours although my coin reserves only allowed me to buy 6 Stuani's, 5 Hofmanns and 3 Alcacers... Oh well. Guess that solves the problem of whether to do Flashback Juanfran or not since I don't have the cash for it now

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Hey Seltzer, when are you planning to unload Stuani, Hofmann and Alcacer? They're trending up but I have literally no idea when that will stop.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

foolish_fool posted:

Are cheapish icons likely to go up or down? I'm thinking of buying 86 Roy Keane and could do so now, but I'm a bit indecisive.

As far as I know they trend down slowly all year due to slowly increasing supply.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
loving hell hopterque nice haul. I'm waiting to open my packs until Ultimate Scream comes out. Is this a.) wise or b.) unwise?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I know you said you wanted a big strong striker but I've found Rodrigo to be useful. He seems to be stronger on the ball than his stats suggest and he's cheap

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

Nicccce rdr 2 is giving me a vacation from this game atm. Has the bicycle nerf gone down well?

I'm trying to split my time between the 2 by playing WL to 11 wins only. Got 86 Suso in my player picks which I'm happy with. I liked his 84 card already so this should be a nice improvement.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

bonafideb3ast posted:

Any ideas for the missing spots on my team? Currently thinking IF Gündogan and Robertson however I haven’t had experience with either of them.

Your midfield is insanely weak defensively. Sell Son and Silva and buy some good allround midfielders like hopterque said. Robertson and Mendy do the job at LB.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Just did all the CL themed SBCs that are live now and netted Oblak, Hamsik and Diego Costa's CL card. Sold Hamsik because I don't believe he'd be an upgrade over Nainggolan, Mertens or SMS. Oblak fits nicely in my La Liga squad and I'm gonna give Costa a whirl replacing Rodrigo. He's already scored 2 sick headers in 3 matches.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I think all the casual players have hosed off to RDR 2 because man is rivals hard right now. Was hovering near promotion to Div 3 but have been getting my rear end kicked more often.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm sitting on my cash for now. I think the pre black Friday crash is probably close and I think my 452k will be worth a lot more very shortly.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Tzen posted:

I really don't think there will be a proper crash this year. There's so many SBC or other player/coin sinks that I can't see a major one happening.

I think the 'crash' already happened, in the sense that players that were 40k+ early game are now in the 2-8k range.

But then again who loving knows.

I think when people start opening packs en masse there will still be a significant drop. I have a 1m wishlist of player upgrades and 850k that I've been sitting on and I have good hope that they will all come in reach tomorrow. I'm done investing, I just don't enjoy having to sit around waiting for cards to increase in value while I can't really upgrade my team because my coins are tied up.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Stefan Prodan posted:

They gave some to everyone as an apology for being down so much a couple weekends ago

Huh, I didn't appear to get any. Or do I have to log in to FUT on the console or something?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

I'm really liking the patch. Also I switched to a 441 and it's been a revelation for me so far. It seems like a better 433 4, attacking and defending. I'm 7-0 with this squad rn and while the defense isn't outright bad it's definitely pretty drat weak and I'm still kicking rear end

Keita and Cuadrado are an amazing winger pairing. Cuadrado I've already talked about but Keita is strong and tall and clinical in front of goal. Boateng just causes complete chaos it's amazing. Belotti is also a tank but his h/h and poor passing leaves a lot to be desired. All my coins are tied up on my transfer list right now but I have a good spine to build on.

I played around with the 4-4-1-1 too but for some reason this year I appear to need at least one proper CDM or my defense gets extremely leaky. Much more so than last. Granted I did only play 4 matches on Rivals with it, but no wins made me frustrated enough to bin it already, lol.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

I just have one of the CMs on stay back (allan who is really loving good). I think if you have a pacey CM/DM with good wrs and stay back it's no problem. Also cuadrado has like 72 def and Keita has 80 Strength so my wings can actually defend. I like it a lot

Yeah I had Nainggolan and Saul as the stay back CM although my wingers were absolute poo poo defenders (Perisic, Suso, Malcom) with the exception of Halloween Koke, so that probabpy didn't help.

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 4, 2018

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm thinking of doing the Insigne SBC, slapping deadeye on him and using him as a CAM. Not strong enough as an ST I think. However, the price tag is kinda putting me off. What do you guys think? Worth it?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

Yea that card didn't go up like I expected or wanted. I dumped it at 30k awhile ago. Gotze at 18k or Grimaldo at 18k are way better bets this week and will definitely go up like 10k in a few weeks like Kolarov did. I overestimated the demand for valencia with his club and position change and underestimated how huge the supply was that week. gotze and grimaldo are cant fail. Low priced great nations, gotze = bundes sbc and grimaldo is a high rated fullback.

I went pretty all in on this one and invested 600k worth in these two cards.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm regretting doing flashback tevez. He's not been great for me. Ibra a better super sub?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

eternity test posted:

I only played him for 10 games last night but he is by far the best striker I have tried this year. I have used TOTGS Lewa for about 50 games and this Ibra card outclasses him in every way. There's a loan card available in the weekly objectives so try him out before you do the SBC.

lol I got that loan card. He scored 4 on his debut. Let's see if he keeps it up.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

I built ibra cheap using untradeables and he's been ok for me so far. I'm just running him at 5 chem (since this is what he would be at if I subbed him in anyway and doesn't give stat penalties) and he feels pretty good but I'm not really getting anything major from him yet, but its only been a couple games.

Don't subs go on at 7 chem?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

Ok yeah flashback Ibra is a loving monster, even on 5 chem.

my squad:

his stats so far, weekend league only and i didn't build him until yesterday so I didn't even get to play the easy first half dozen games with him:

I'll pick up a cheap icon striker to use instead of Jesus probably so I can have him at 8 chem.

I built him today after his loan card went 17 goals in 10 games for me in weekend league subbing him on right at the start.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
So I bought prime Rivaldo to build this:

He's gone up 100k in price since though so contemplating selling him to build the prime Rivaldo SBC. On the other hand that basically means I have to play him until end of season or it will have been a waste. Any thoughts?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

eternity test posted:

I need a French CM to pair with IF Partey in a 5212. Partey could be either box2box or on stay back depending on who I get. Who do you guys think I should pick? Considering RTTF Kondogbia (hate his 2 star weak foot), Pogba (bad workrates) or Kante (midget).

Kondogbia's weak foot hasn't been a problem for me. I use him mostly for short passing and redistribution though so it barely matters for me. Though I have to be honest and admit I have not tried Pogba or Kante extensively.

e: also I'm just wondering about your IF Partey recommendation. I already have the midfield destroyer in RTTF Kondogbia, won't Partey be much less productive going forward than Modric (who I'd be replacing because Kroos is a god)?

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 15, 2019

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

The SituAsian posted:

The 90 rated Frenkie De Jong SBC just released and it's hella cheap but I'm too dumb to think up a decent squad to put him in

EDIT: I guess I can just put him on one side of a 4-3-3 with like RTTF Tagliafico and OTW Promes

I was thinking rttf Tagliafico and 92 De Ligt myself.

e: wow the price of that de Ligt card has rocketed since last night.

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 20, 2019

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

So I've had pretty meh rewards the last 6 or 8 weeks or so (not that I can complain because of that one week with Ronaldo and Lukaku) but I hit the jackpot today

lol the best card I've packed all year has been UCL Kimpembe and I've had 2 player picks every weekend league.... Don't know why I still bother

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

drat really? I've gotten loads of like decent/usable/even good players from my player picks (I also haven't missed a weekend yet). It helps that I run two squads and am constantly rotating and changing them so I wind up getting use out of a lot of players most people probably wouldn't.

Yeah my pack luck has been dire this year. I suppose you could argue that red 86 Cancelo was a better pack than Kimpembe but that one was my highest coin value card. That being said, I've still ground out enough coins to build this:

I know that midfield is not ideal but I'd be surprised if it isn't fun! I could always replace Kondo with Casemiro to get Kroos and him at full chem but I think I'd have to change formation midstream because Casemiro is gonna get stuck upfield too much in the 4-3-2-1 I think.

e: bonus option, sell Rivaldo and replace with Pires or 87 Henry.... That 2 star weak foot has been pissing me off....

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 24, 2019

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

RCarr posted:

How’s flashback Rooney? Anyone have him?

He's not been particularly hard to deal with on opposing teams.

By the way, I've been having the most bizarre WL experiences the last few goes. I've been opening with stuff like 8-2 or thereabouts. Then day 2 is more like 5-5 and on the last day I literally struggle to get to 14. I'm aware of the matchmaking algorithm playing into this but it seems much more pronounced and makes it just almost unbearable to play because it is not fun to lose 7 in a row.

On top of that this weekend I think there was just some general latency issue because drat did a lot of my shots and passes go astray or just not execute at all.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Made it to Gold 1 for the first time this year. With 2 games to spare even. Don't think I've ever had quite as good a ratio before.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

RCarr posted:

Just cross to Ibrahimovic. Game set match.

They really did make that Ibra card too good.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

the meta is to play ultra passive and ultra defensively because scoring is now very very difficult in general with the (absolutely necessary) nerf to finesse shots. Crosses don't really work more than anything else because most people are wise to the need for Big Boys in defense and know how to defend normal crosses, at least in div rivals and more 'serious' weekend league matches.

Part of me thinks that having finesse shots back would be worth it just to open up defences a bit again.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm just playing WL now to get my fix. Rivals is not enough fun and squad battles is a total slog.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
So if I want to take a break from FUT it's probably wise to sell off my team now and bank the coins for later if I want to come back, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I seem to have forgotten how to play. Lost 8 and drew 2 to be relegated from div 3 from 2000+ skill rating. Granted I did take a break and everyone is doing that flair shot thing now that I haven't got into my system or know how to counter so I've shipped some cheap rear end goals to that bullshit.

Guess I need to find some YouTube vids on how to play now.