Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK
Got the book, but at work right now, so I'll have to read it on my breaks, but I got through the prologue, so let's start with that.

quote:

“Real power is— I don’t even want to use the word— fear.” Presidential candidate Donald J. Trump in an interview with Bob Woodward and Robert Costa on March 31, 2016, at the Old Post Office Pavilion, Trump International Hotel, Washington, D.C.

This is followed by him talking glowingly of his assistant, Evelyn M. Duffy, who did the transcribing, note taking, and recording (and probably a large portion of the writing from the sounds of it...). She's going to be the somewhat, but mostly unsung hero here. This leads to an Author's Note to Readers discussing what deep background is:

quote:

Interviews for this book were conducted under the journalist ground rule of “deep background.” This means that all the information could be used but I would not say who provided it. The book is drawn from hundreds of hours of interviews with firsthand participants and witnesses to these events. Nearly all allowed me to tape-record our interviews so the story could be told with more precision.

Lordy, there be tapes! Of course, we all knew this, but moving along. The book starts with a terrifying story for all global trade fans where Gary Cohn discovers a draft of a letter to the South Korean President stating the intention to end KORUS, our Korean trade deal. Cohn, recognizing this as a terrible idea, is appalled. To break this down a bit, South Korea can give us intel within 7 seconds if North Korea shot one of it's ICBMs. This can give us enough time to shoot it down with our defense system (the GMD) that doesn't work, is a money sink, and they had to cancel tests of it because of rain. Woodward doesn't explain this, probably because 1. he doesn't know, or 2. because he doesn't want to freak people out more. For more on this and other issues with it, follow Jeffrey Lewis or listen to his podcast:
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-07-08/scared-about-north-korea-you-aren-t-scared-enough
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/883460051247157248

quote:

Despite almost daily reports of chaos and discord in the White House, the public did not know how bad the internal situation actually was. Trump was always shifting, rarely fixed, erratic. He would get in a bad mood, something large or small would infuriate him, and he would say about the KORUS trade agreement, “We’re withdrawing today.” But now there was the letter, dated September 5, 2017, a potential trigger to a national security catastrophe. Cohn was worried Trump would sign the letter if he saw it. Cohn removed the letter draft from the Resolute Desk. He placed it in a blue folder marked “KEEP.” “I stole it off his desk,” he later told an associate. “I wouldn’t let him see it. He’s never going to see that document. Got to protect the country.”

In the anarchy and disorder of the White House, and Trump’s mind, the president never noticed the missing letter. Ordinarily Rob Porter, the staff secretary and organizer of presidential paperwork, would have been responsible for producing letters like this to the South Korean president. But this time, alarmingly, the letter draft had come to Trump through an unknown channel.

This has also already been reported, but it's in the prologue, so probably a lot of interesting stuff to go. The interesting bit is the unknown channel. Where did the draft come from?

quote:

Porter later discovered there were multiple copies of the draft letter, and either Cohn or he made sure none remained on the president’s desk. Cohn and Porter worked together to derail what they believed were Trump’s most impulsive and dangerous orders. That document and others like it just disappeared. When Trump had a draft on his desk to proofread, Cohn at times would just yank it, and the president would forget about it. But if it was on his desk, he’d sign it.

“It’s not what we did for the country,” Cohn said privately. “It’s what we saved him from doing.”

This goes on for a bit. Trump rages about wanting to end the deal at a bunch of meetings, eventually leading to one big one. Jared Kushner enters, taking his father in law seriously, and starts writing down what Trump is saying verbatim. Kushner is then ordered to draft it and send it out. Rob Porter steps in, probably in his own mind saving the nation, and tells Kushner to send it to him first. Kushner, being an easily bullied weasel, does exactly this. Hilariously, Trump's aides then meet with him to convince him it's a terrible idea to leave KORUS and just blast him with stats he probably doesn't understand. Our president then gives up and forgets about the whole thing for the time being because he's an idiot.

quote:

“Well, let’s keep working on the letter,” Trump said. “I want to see the next draft.” Cohn and Porter did not prepare a next draft. So there was nothing to show the president. The issue, for the moment, disappeared in the haze of presidential decision making. Trump got busy with other things.

Mattis comes in when the issue comes up again, and tries to convince him that we need South Korea as a trade buddy and ally because it protects us. He eventually succeeds again, but looking at this makes me wonder how many times this has failed? Oh wait, looks like we're going to have some answers to that:

quote:

In 2016, candidate Trump gave Bob Costa and myself his definition of the job of president: “More than anything else, it’s the security of our nation.  .  .  . That’s number one, two and three.  .  .  . The military, being strong, not letting bad things happen to our country from the outside. And I certainly think that’s always going to be my number-one part of that definition.” The reality was that the United States in 2017 was tethered to the words and actions of an emotionally overwrought, mercurial and unpredictable leader. Members of his staff had joined to purposefully block some of what they believed were the president’s most dangerous impulses. It was a nervous breakdown of the executive power of the most powerful country in the world. What follows is that story.

I see what you did there, Bob.

I'll try and get through Chapter 1 and 2 probably by the end of day today and post those tonight. So far, so so. We already know a lot of this, but the details about KORUS are nice. Until next post, folks!

Bearded Whiteguy has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Larry Parrish posted:

its not actually bad to be a social conservative in your personal life

lmao yes it is

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Marijuana posted:

bob woodward sucks mega rear end. pirate his bad book imo

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

dont let the online people fool you. its not actually bad to be a social conservative in your personal life as long as your political belief is egalitarian freedom for everyone

yes it is and that belief is childish and incoherent and dumb and bad op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

someone highlight all the gently caress scenes pls

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I bought this and it’s fun reliving the horror of being a Cassandra in 2016

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

Good soup! posted:

someone highlight all the gently caress scenes pls

Can do!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bookmarking thread so we can all laugh about the piss tape being confirmed on page 69.

The Anime Liker has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Sep 11, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
They make it sound like the world would end if Trump cancelled a five year old trade agreement.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

They make it sound like the world would end if Trump cancelled a five year old trade agreement.

even worse it would cause the south koreans to end their cooperation with an immensely expensive, completely useless MIC boondoggle

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Bookmarking thread so we can all laugh about the piss tape being confirmed on page 69.

nice

now post pics of the rest of the pages thanks in advance

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

Chapter 1 starts off with Bannon in 2010. Bannon gets a call from David Bossie (the Citizen's United guy) who informs Bannon that Donald Trump wants to run for President. Bannon says that there's no way that's going to happen, but Bossie is like, "Nah, for real, bro. Like, it's def happening." This is almost a quote. These two talk to each other like they're frat bros, but they happen to be pushing 60. This... makes a ton of sense when you start thinking about it. Eventually, they go to meet Donald J. Trump, star of the Apprentice that "was number one for NBC for a few weeks". That's an actual quote, lol. That leads to this amazing exchange where you can see, in real time, Donald Trump, our President, change his mind on a subject because the last person he spoke with told him to:

quote:

“You’ve got some problems on issues,” Bossie said.
“I don’t have any problems on issues,” Trump said. “What are you talking about?”
“First off, there’s never been a guy win a Republican primary that’s not pro-life,” Bossie said. “And unfortunately, you’re very pro-choice.”
“What does that mean?”
“You have a record of giving to the abortion guys, the pro-choice candidates. You’ve made statements. You’ve got to be pro-life, against abortion.”
“I’m against abortion,” Trump said. “I’m pro-life.
“Well, you’ve got a track record.”
“That can be fixed,” Trump said. “You just tell me how to fix that. I’m— what do you call it? Pro-life. I’m pro-life, I’m telling you.”

During this meeting it turns out Donald Trump rarely votes, and only voted in one primary, for Rudy Giuliani, because of loving course. Oh, and:

quote:

“Well,” he said, “80 percent of the donations that you’ve given have been to Democrats.” To Bossie that was Trump’s biggest political liability, though he didn’t say so.
“That’s bullshit!”
“There’s public records,” Bossie said.
“There’s records of that!” Trump said in utter astonishment.

Lol. What a loving moron.

Trump later admits to bribery to get things built from a guy who has a baseball bat... definitely not a mob connection.

quote:

“It’s all rigged. It’s a rigged system. These guys have been shaking me down for years. I don’t want to give. They all walk in. If you don’t write a check  .  .  .”
There was a pol in Queens, Trump said, “an old guy with a baseball bat. You go in there and you’ve got to give him something— normally in cash. If you don’t give him anything, nothing gets done. Nothing gets built. But if you take it in there and you leave him an envelope, it happens. That’s just the way it is. But I can fix that.”

So, yeah. Apparently he just bribes a guy and it all gets done to build buildings. I don't think anyone didn't know this, but it's pretty amazing to have it in quotes and coming from the guy who is our president. The meeting ends with them explaining to Trump he's got to meet Republican candidates and congressmen and give them a check. First he meets with them, tells them he believes in their race, and gives them $2,400. Bannon then concludes the meeting was pointless and he'll never run because Trump won't want to give up his life that he has now.

Six years later, chapter 2 begins.

Chapter 2 starts out with Bannon reading a NYTimes article from August 2016 where Trump's team is failing. He's a buffoon, prone to gaffs, and extremely unpopular except for his fervent supporters that swear by everything he says. Does this bring you back? Remember when everyone thought he was an idiot and there was no possible way to win? Bernie had conceded to Hillary and said that we need to get behind her to stop a Trump presidency. Rubio was silent, Ted Cruz told a crowd at the Convention to vote your conscious. This was a disaster for the Trump team. There were a few Cassandras (I wasn't one of them until he bounced back from the pussy grabbing tape, and even then I was going back and forth on it), but drat near everyone thought it was over and Hillary was going to win. But Bannon didn't want this. So he calls up Rebekah Mercer. She convinces him to run Trump's campaign and he goes for the job. Manafort get's embroiled in the Ukraine stuff around this time and he's out. With that, one of our, cough, heroes... cough... jesus... Steve Bannon, is now campaign head.

Finally, we get squeeky rat Reince Priebus which is not a real name, it's a name from an alien running the simulation, who has been sweating bullets the whole campaign. He freaked out over the Mexicans are rapists bit and told Trump "We've been trying to win over the Hispanics!" but Trump keeps the rhetoric going because it's a winner with his base. So, Priebus, from now on called rat fucker, plants himself in the middle between Mitch Turtle love child McConnell, and Trump. Rat Fucker Priebus tells Trump he loves him and is with him in a beautiful, loving scene reminiscent of "Gone with the Wind" because it's a love that can only bloom in the backdrop of horrible racism.

quote:

“I’m with you 100 percent. I love you. I’m going to keep working for you. But I have to protect the party. I have a responsibility that’s different than just you.”

What a Capulet and Montague love story we've got here! A Rat Fucker, and a guy who loves piss, find love, but the Rat Fucker has to think of his party first! So, disastrous NYtimes article comes out, Bannon goes to Bedminster to meet with Trump and finds out that Roger Ailes, Rudy Giuliani, and Chris Christie were going to be there. Bannon and Ailes have a chat about what a disaster this all is, never once mentioning how weird it is that the head of a TV network is going to be there when Steve Bannon gets hired as Campaign Manager. Can we put to bed that Fox News is 100% a propaganda channel? Yes? Thank you.

quote:

Trump arrived and sat down. Hot dogs and hamburgers were laid out. The fantasy diet of an 11-year-old kid, Bannon thought, as Trump wolfed down two hot dogs.

This is what we need more of. Sexy, hot dog and hamburger action. This was supposed to be a debate prep, but Trump is so stupid it doesn't ever get anywhere. Bannon becomes the songbird for the campaign and convinces Trump that he needs to attack Hillary as corrupt, elitist, and out of touch, but that Trump is there for the workers, the real Americans. They're going to make a plan of action and it's going to paint illegals as the bad guys, bring manufacturing back to America, and end foreign wars. This was the winning strategy according to Steve.

Ok, so I've got a few issues here. This is clearly Bannon saying he was behind every bit of this, but I highly doubt that. By this time, Trump had already said a bunch of this stuff, so clearly that was coming from someone in the campaign. Or was he just reading Brietbart and listening to Alex Jones? Who knows, but this chapter is obviously all from Steve Bannon. Just picture Steve talking to Bob Woodward about how important he was to the President but got kicked out because of insiders!

There's some good analysis of Hillary in this chapter that clearly shows how they planned to target her:

quote:

This was what Barack Obama had in 2008 in the primary contest against Clinton, who spoke like the trained politician she was. Her tempo was overly practiced. Even when telling the truth, she sounded like she was lying to you. Politicians like Hillary can’t talk naturally, Bannon said. It was a mechanical way of speaking, right out of the polling and focus groups, answering the questions in political speak. It was soothing, not jarring, not from the heart or from deep conviction, but from some highly paid consultant’s talking points— not angry.

Bannon also apparently came up with the idea to put Kellyanne Ann Coulter Cloneway on TV because she is a "warrior". Definitely convincing me that Bannon likes to jerk himself off. Chapter 2 ends with Kellyanne giving her big pep talk to Trump. It's not really that interesting, just her becoming his campaign manager and telling him not to listen to polls and only focus on the battleground states that matter. This all started because Trump didn't like that an ad spot he was doing looked cheap and the cameras weren't HD. That apparently warranted a pep talk because he's five and then he hired mommy Conway because she was nice to him.

Two chapters down and we've got some good stuff, but the prologue had the best bits so far. Some lol worthy moments of Bannon sucking himself off, but that's about it. Hopefully the future chapters will pick up.

Bearded Whiteguy has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Sep 12, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Feranon posted:

lmao yes it is

crazy cloud posted:

yes it is and that belief is childish and incoherent and dumb and bad op

I know I know, it's Cspam and all that and gently caress earnestposting, but things like "monogamy" are "socially conservative" and aren't bad things.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Dipshit posted:

I know I know, it's Cspam and all that and gently caress earnestposting, but things like "monogamy" are "socially conservative" and aren't bad things.

We got ourselves a breeder

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

The Dipshit posted:

yes they are

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

crazy cloud posted:

nice

now post pics of the rest of the pages thanks in advance

The book is 420 pages.

The piss tape is on page 69.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

The book is 420 pages.

The piss tape is on page 69.

attn: forum atheists i was giving poo poo to the other day re: god is real and is love

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Direct from the mouth of Steve Bannon, regarding how you turn around Trump having a 20 point deficit in key battleground states in late August:

Paraphrasing: "Hillary Clinton is a neoconservative. America hates neoconservatives. Don't attack her like she's a liberal, because she's not. Attack her like she's a neocon."

Man, if republicans knew how to read they'd love this book, and if liberals knew how to read between the lines they'd be furious.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

The Dipshit posted:

it's ok to want to be monogamous in your own life but if your view is "non-monogamy is wrong" your username is correct op

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

Direct from the mouth of Steve Bannon, regarding how you turn around Trump having a 20 point deficit in key battleground states in late August:

Paraphrasing: "Hillary Clinton is a neoconservative. America hates neoconservatives. Don't attack her like she's a liberal, because she's not. Attack her like she's a neocon."

Man, if republicans knew how to read they'd love this book, and if liberals knew how to read between the lines they'd be furious.

Yeah that's spot on. Though I really don't think Republicans would like this book. It's definitely making Trump out to be a total idiot. They'd love some parts of it for sure. Just finished chapter 4 and will post that shortly. That'll be all for today though. Hodor, what do you think so far?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Yeah that's spot on. Though I really don't think Republicans would like this book. It's definitely making Trump out to be a total idiot. They'd love some parts of it for sure. Just finished chapter 4 and will post that shortly. That'll be all for today though. Hodor, what do you think so far?

I'm simultaneously disgusted by Trump being this dumb and amazed that Bannon was just so loving right all the time, including him knowing in 2010 not to get involved with Trump because he's a duplicitous retard. Like any sane person knows this, but people signing up for this knowing this and finding out he's even worse is amazing.

And I'm now constantly terrified that if someone forgets to distract Trump and hide his executive orders from him we'll all die.

At any given moment some general could get stuck in traffic and not be there to distract Trump with a puppet show and Trump will sign some order plunging us into war with every country on earth.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I'm simultaneously disgusted by Trump being this dumb and amazed that Bannon was just so loving right all the time, including him knowing in 2010 not to get involved with Trump because he's a duplicitous retard. Like any sane person knows this, but people signing up for this knowing this and finding out he's even worse is amazing.

And I'm now constantly terrified that if someone forgets to distract Trump and hide his executive orders from him we'll all die.

At any given moment some general could get stuck in traffic and not be there to distract Trump with a puppet show and Trump will sign some order plunging us into war with every country on earth.

I've got a lot to say about Bannon and I think the him being right all the time is just him sucking his own dick, but here goes the next two chapters and then I'm out for the night folks!

Chapter 3 starts off pretty lol worthy. Bannon walks into the Campaign Headquarters and finds it basically empty:

quote:

“Who are you?” Bannon asked.
“Andy Surabian.”
“Where the gently caress is everybody?”
“I don’t know,” Surabian replied. “This is like it is on every Sunday.”
“This is the campaign headquarters?”
“Yeah.”
“I mean like the place where the whole thing’s run out of?”
Yeah. Surabian pointed out Jason Miller’s office— the senior communications director— and Hope Hicks’s— the young former model who had become the campaign’s main press person and perhaps the staff member closest to Trump. Surabian was the war room director.
“Do you guys work weekends?” Surabian said yeah again. Some worked in D.C., some guys phoned in. Bannon tried once more. “On weekends, does this place have people in it?”
“This is about average.”
“Where the gently caress is Jared? I’ve got to talk to Jared and Ivanka.”

Bannon had heard that Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, was the mastermind and genius here. Jared and Ivanka were on entertainment mogul and Democratic donor David Geffen’s $ 300 million yacht— one of the largest in the world— off the coast of Croatia, on vacation with Wendi Deng, a businesswoman and former wife of Rupert Murdoch.

Lol, wtf? The Trump campaign was worse than I could have ever imagined. Also, further credence that Manafort is a cuck. This next part I completely forgot about because it was a million years ago:

quote:

Bannon felt sorry for Manafort. The campaign manager had been astonished at the success and power of Trump’s Twitter account, and had started one of his own. But the New York Daily News had run this item in April: “Make America kinky again,” noting that Manafort— perhaps unaware that Twitter was a public forum— had followed a Midtown bondage and swingers’ club called Decadence. “Manafort was following the swanky spank spot— which bills itself as the city’s ‘most intimate swing club.’  ”

And… Bannon finds out that Manafort took 12.7million in payments, tells Manafort that he has to tell Trump about it. The Times are going to publish the piece the next day and Manafort wusses out in telling Trump. What’s really funny is that Trump pretty much bullies Manafort around which is just the best. Article drops, Trump is “apoplectic”.

Rat Fucker and Bannon get on a call, and a new bromance forms. But then… Katie Walsh, famous for making jokes about John Decorum McCain dying, enters into the picture. Bannon knows that they can’t lose the establishment and so he has to convince Rat Fucker to be there with him and still have the party on their side. And by bromance, I mean the kind that involves getting sexy:

quote:

As Bannon later remarked with his trademark profanity, “I reached out and sucked Reince Priebus’ dick on August 15 and told the establishment, we can’t win without you.”

After this there’s some interesting bits on how campaigning works. The GOP comes in and they spend a bunch of money on Big Data (probably Cambridge Analytica), target Ohio voters with early voting, and try to find the voters most likely to vote for Trump and get them. Assuming, which I’m only doing for this point, there was no Russian meddling, this was likely what was most effective. There seems to be a really strong targeting that we all know about was dreamed up by CA because they were stealing people’s Facebook data. No mention of this, though.

quote:

Bannon tried to sit down with Trump and walk him through refinements of the strategy and how to focus on particular states. The candidate had no interest in talking about it. Bannon assured Trump, I have “metaphysical certitude you will win here if you stick to this script and compare and contrast” with Hillary Clinton. “Every underlying number is with us.” “I realized,” Bannon said later, “I’m the director, he’s the actor.”

Insert photo of Steve Bannon sucking his own dick so hard it goes out his rear end. So, this next bit, I’m just going to quote entirely because it’s very enlightening:

quote:

Kellyanne Conway had gone to the four-day Democratic convention in Philadelphia in July. She had listened to the speeches, talked to delegates, appeared on television. Her observations shaped her current strategy.
“Their message is Donald Trump is bad, and we’re not Donald Trump. The rest of the message was race, gender, LGBT.” Conway coined the phrase “the hidden Trump voter.” These were the people who found themselves perplexed by the vote ahead of them, saying, “God, my daddy, my granddaddy and I are all in the union. I’m going to vote for Donald Trump?” Putting a question mark at the end. “I’m going to vote for a billionaire Republican?” Another question mark. “And you’d have these women who’d say, you know, I’m pro-choice . . . but I don’t think Roe v. Wade is going to change. But I don’t understand why we can’t afford everyday life anymore, so I’m voting on that.” Much of the media did not buy “the hidden Trump voter” line.

But Priebus and Walsh’s database gave the RNC and the campaign insight into almost everything about every likely voter— what beer they drank, the make and color of the car they drove, the age and school of their kids, their mortgage status, the cigarettes they smoked. Did they get a hunting license every year? Did they subscribe to gun magazines, or liberal magazines like The New Republic? And Conway said, “There’s not a single hidden Hillary voter in the entire country. They’re all out and about.” About Clinton, she said, “She doesn’t seem to have a message. Now if I’m her, I’m going to find a message. I’m going to buy a message. And it’s going to be very positive and uplifting and optimistic. All I can see from her so far is not optimism.”

Clinton had not cracked 50 percent in eight key states that Obama had won twice with over 50 percent. Conway agreed with Bannon that if the Trump campaign could make the race about Hillary, not Trump, they would win with those hidden Trump voters. If the race stayed about Trump, “we’ll probably lose.”

Yeah…. Wow. Especially that middle part about how much they knew… That’s definitely CA’s data that was stolen. Uhhh… lol?

Chapter 3 ends with Bannon strategizing and making fun of Steve Mnuchin’s fundraising. Not a lot of lols to be found there.

Chapter 4 begins with :shock:

quote:

Signs of Russian “reconnoitering,” or digital intrusions as the National Security Agency called them, first appeared in local and state electoral boards’ computerized voter registration rolls— lists of voters’ names and addresses— in the summer of 2015. The first showed up in Illinois, then spread across the country to include 21 states. As the NSA and FBI picked up more information on these cyber intrusions, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper worried that Russia might use the data to change or manipulate votes in some way. Is this just Russia, he wondered. The Russians were always trying to make trouble.

We get a bit more in depth but there’s some serious concerns with changing votes. I’m guessing the Obama Administration didn’t want to let this out for fear of tarnishing the election. But what’s frightening is that 1. He knew about this and 2. Trump definitely knows about this and as we know is why he’s so scared of the Russian investigation. It’ll come out that votes were changed or added and then we’ve got a constitutional crisis. How the gently caress are we supposed to deal with that? Hilariously debunking the “deep state” bs, pretty much the entire intelligence team was telling Obama not to say anything to protect their sources. John Brennan, Trump’s hated enemy, went to Russia and told the FSB chief he knows they’re meddling. Obama does not say anything about it, but it’s quietly leaked to the press by someone.

quote:

Clapper was chosen to brief the so-called Gang of Eight in Congress— four Republican and Democratic leaders in both the Senate and House plus the four chairmen and vice chairmen of the Senate and House intelligence committees. Clapper was stunned by how partisan the leaders were. Republicans disliked everything about the briefing. The Democrats loved every morsel, peppering him with questions about the details and sourcing. He left the briefing dismayed that intelligence was increasingly another political football to kick around.

And yeah, wow, look at that. The GOP is a bunch of complicit shitheads loving up our country. Lol. On October 7th, the intelligence team releases a statement that Russia is meddling in the elections. However, an hour later, the Access Hollywood tape comes out.

quote:

“I expected it to be something that would have a lot of currency over the following days,” Jeh Johnson later said. “And that it would be a continuing conversation with more questions from the press.” But the press went “off to the other end of the pasture ’cause of greed and sex and groping.”

Oh Jeh… wait, Jeh? Oh, Jeh. You don’t know America very well do you? And then an hour after that, the Podesta emails happen, starting Pizzagate and becoming a perfect thing for Chuds to fall back on. It’s almost as if this was coordinated?

We hear about how Rat Fucker and Pencil Dick Mike Pence got freaked out by the tape. It was apparently over after that. But we all know better because it turns out America doesn’t care about rapists!

quote:

The team gathered in Trump’s residence. Trump sat in his big gold chair. “What’s the percentages?” he asked. “Okay, let’s go around. I really want to know, what’s your recommendation? What’s your advice?”
“You have two choices,” Priebus began. “You either drop out right now or you’re going to lose in the biggest landslide in American history and be humiliated for life. I’m getting crushed. I’ve got every leader, every congressman, every senator, everyone I care about on the Republican National Committee— they’re going crazy. And they’re telling me you’re either going to lose big, in a massive way, or you need to drop out of the race. I can’t make it any better.”
“Well,” Trump said, “I’m glad we’re starting off on a positive note.”
“Cut the bullshit,” Bannon said to Priebus. “That’s bullshit.”
“If you want to do it now,” Priebus continued, “Pence is prepared to step up, and Condi Rice will come in as his VP.”

There’s some back and forth and then we get this amazing tidbit that leads nowhere:

quote:

New Jersey governor Chris Christie was sitting in sweatpants and ball cap.

Christie agrees with Rat Fucker.

quote:

“Do we call 60 Minutes?” Kellyanne Conway asked. She proposed a public confessional. “You can’t do it Sunday because the debate’s on Sunday. . . . Or you call ABC or NBC and have him on the sofa with Ivanka on one side and Melania on the other, basically crying, saying I apologize.”

Melania Trump had come down and wandered behind the sofa where Conway was proposing they sit. It was clear she was seething. “Not doing that,” Melania said in her Slovenian accent, dismissively waving her hand. “No way. No, no, no.”

I wonder how many times Melania has said “No way. No, no, no” to Donald. Every night? Do you think she’s horrified every time he takes his clothes off? Trump prepares for the soft ball ABC interview where he can apologize. Christie and Giuliani beg him to read a boring intro, but… it doesn’t go well:

quote:

Trump took a seat. Preparations for the ABC interview were in motion— it was likely to be a record-breaker. Giuliani and Christie handed a sheet of their suggestions to Trump. Trump read: “My language was inappropriate, not acceptable for a president.” It was political speak— not Trump, all Giuliani and Christie. Trump was surly. “I can’t do this,” he said. “This is bullshit. This is weak. You guys are weak.” Bannon realized he had this one. He just had to keep his mouth shut.
“Donald, you don’t understand,” Christie said.
“Donald, Donald, Donald,” Giuliani said. “You’ve got to do this.” Think about the suburban moms.

Lol, yes, Rudy. Think of the suburban moms! Trump cancels the interview, walks down to greet fans, and Christie confronts Bannon. He says that Bannon is an enabler, and pushes all of Trumps worst instincts. Bannon smiles and lets him know that they’re getting on a plane tomorrow to go to St. Louis. Christie’s either on that plane or off. Oh my! It’s almost as if this is a movie that Bannon produced.

Rudy goes on the Sunday talk shows to defend Trump. Redirects and pushes that Clinton was worse, her speeches, and her emails, yadda yadda yadda. He was old, tired, and had been through the ringer. Rudy gets on the plane to St. Louis, and sits next to the big orange cheese:

quote:

“Rudy, you’re a baby!” Trump said loudly. “I’ve never seen a worse defense of me in my life. They took your diaper off right there. You’re like a little baby that needed to be changed. When are you going to be a man?”
Trump turned to the others, particularly Bannon. “Why did you put him on? He can’t defend me. I need somebody to defend me. Where are my people?”
“What are you talking about?” Bannon asked. “This guy’s the only guy that went on.”
“I don’t want to hear it,” Trump replied. “It was a mistake. He shouldn’t have gone on. He’s weak. You’re weak, Rudy. You’ve lost it.”
Giuliani just looked up, his face blank.
Shortly after the planned departure, Chris Christie had not appeared. “gently caress this guy,” Bannon said, and the plane took off.

Lol, gently caress you, Rudy. This is the absolute best. From now on, Rudy is Diaper baby Rudy. And this is the end of chapter 4 folks!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm a bit ahead of you, and lol at this quote:

quote:

"Mr. President, you've got to buy some Democrats," Graham said. "The good news is they come cheap."

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

imagine reading a beltway gossip book instead of just the best excerpts

my brother did once but he is also a dumbass that bought a musk flamer

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Percelus posted:

imagine reading a beltway gossip book instead of just the best excerpts

my brother did once but he is also a dumbass that bought a musk flamer

A $4 spray can of heavy oil beats Elon's lovely cigarette lighter spectacularly, idk why people line up to suck elon's dong so hard

Woodward can eat my rear end, but I'm still reading this book because hey why not, we might as well know why the bombs fell in the moments between when I go blind in the flash and my brain is destroyed in the shockwave:

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Sep 12, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"I'm going to be impeached if that district makes another Democrat congressman. Sad!"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I can’t deal with the frequent one-page diversions that seem unrelated in theme or content or sequence to the things surrounding them. it makes me feel like my brain is becoming unhinged from everything else

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I can’t deal with the frequent one-page diversions that seem unrelated in theme or content or sequence to the things surrounding them. it makes me feel like my brain is becoming unhinged from everything else

now you're thinking like a president! :chaostrump:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

I've got a lot to say about Bannon and I think the him being right all the time is just him sucking his own dick, but here goes the next two chapters and then I'm out for the night folks!

Thank you for your service! I don't have time to read an entire book without pictures in it anymore

Somehow though I find time to read a bunch of posts about piss, and some that just say nothing but "trump."

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

Potato Salad posted:

A $4 spray can of heavy oil beats Elon's lovely cigarette lighter spectacularly, idk why people line up to suck elon's dong so hard

Woodward can eat my rear end, but I'm still reading this book because hey why not, we might as well know why the bombs fell in the moments between when I go blind in the flash and my brain is destroyed in the shockwave:

There's a really good book called the 2020 Commission Report by Jeffrey Lewis about North Korea nuking us because Trump makes a stupid tweet and the fallout literally and politically from that. It's funny and terrifying!

https://www.amazon.com/Commission-Report-Nuclear-Attacks-Against-ebook/dp/B079VDR6HM

You know it's good when all the negative reviews lament that it's "anti-Trump themed".

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah, that makes it really difficult to read and write this. There's some good lines in it, but it's kind of all over the place and that's gotten frustrating.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
As I've gotten further in I've been turned off by the constant self-sucking from all of his sources. Woodward portrays these evil ghouls and jackals as heroic and noble, and as the book goes on it gets more and more transparent that his sources are painting themselves in a positive light without any push back. Gonna give it a few more chapters but if it doesn't tone down a bit I'll just look for the juicy bits on Twitter.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah. Woodward's entire post-Watergate career has been portraying ghouls and jackals as unsung heroes of state. That's his entire thing.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

So far it’s been brought up a few times about the subjects of the books sucking their own dicks about how amazing they are and this is true. It makes it obvious who’s telling the stories here and it’s aggravating because these people are monsters. I get that, but what do you want Woodward to do? He is taking down their words and doesn’t want to misquote them. It just so happens these people are disgusting narcissists (which shouldn’t be surprising) so that comes with the territory. That being said, it's still difficult and aggravating to read it though. I roll my eyes every goddamn line that Bannon says, especially since he talks like an annoying douchebro with the "Dude, bro, loving," etc while being a 63 year old man.

Chapter 5 begins with the Trump and Hillary debate. Bannon devises a plan to bring up Bill Clinton and the rape accusations, and the accusers in the audience staring daggers into Hillary. We all remember what happened and this part isn’t very important. It’s just more of Bannon loving himself.

Here comes the interesting part. Jared Kushner, or Baby Trump, is actually the money guy for the campaign. If they want anything done that costs money, Baby Trump has to approve it. Bannon says they need $50 million for the rest of the campaign straight from Trump’s pocket, but Trump will not ever cut that large of a check. Why? Well…

quote:

“He’ll never do it,” Kushner insisted.

“It’s about being president of the United States!”

“Steve, unless you can show him he’s a dead lock”— a certain winner—“ I mean a dead lock, up three to five points, he’ll never write that size check.”

“Well, you’re right,” Bannon agreed.

“Maybe we can get $25 million out of him,” said Kushner, adding a caveat: “He doesn’t have a lot of cash.”

Confirmation that there is no way Trump was a billionaire during the campaign. He probably is now thanks to the grifting he’s been able to do and just straight up corruption, but not at this point. Eventually, Trump agrees to use $10million of his own money for the campaign, but only if it’s an advance that he’ll get back from donations to his campaign. Amazing that this is legal.

And now we get a super lol… Trump thought that money going to his transition if he won was stealing from him, so he forced it to have no funding:

quote:

“Where the gently caress is the money?” Trump asked Christie. “I need money for my campaign. I’m putting money in my campaign, and you’re loving stealing from me.” He saw it all as his.

Christie defended his efforts. This was for the required transition organization in case Trump won. Trump said that Mitt Romney had spent too much time on transition meetings as the nominee in 2012, and not enough time on campaign events. “That’s why he lost. You’re jinxing me,” he told Christie. “I don’t want a transition. I’m shutting down the transition. I told you from day one it was just an honorary title. You’re jinxing me. I’m not going to spend a second on it.”

“Whoa,” Bannon interjected. A transition might make sense.

“It’s jinxing me,” Trump said. “I can’t have one.”

“Okay, let’s do this,” Bannon said. “I’ll shut the whole thing down. What do you think Morning Joe’s going to say tomorrow? You’ve got a lot of confidence you’re going to be president, right?” Trump agreed, finally and reluctantly, to a slimmed-down, skeletal version of the transition. Christie would cease fundraising.

“He can have his transition,” Trump said, “but I don’t want anything to do with it.”

There’s a little side track after this about Woodward giving a speech and when asking who the audience would vote for, 95% said Trump. He talks to one of the people who would vote for Hillary, and that chat about how crazy it is that these people the Hillary voter considers friends could vote for such a retard. This is supposed to prove a point, apparently. You know, that centrist bit about how they just can’t believe it! But, if you had been paying attention, you would know that there were a bunch of morons in this country. Anyway, this leads to the final days of the campaign and Trump is going to North Carolina. Bannon meets Mark Meadows, the rear end in a top hat head of the House Freedom Caucus and we get this juicy bit:

quote:

Of all the battleground states, Bannon told Meadows, “This is the one that worries me the most.” The campaign seemed not to be clicking.

Meadows disagreed. “The evangelicals are out. They’re ringing doorbells. I’m telling you, you do not need to come back to North Carolina. We’ve got this.” Meadows’s wife and other conservative women had chartered a bus after the Access Hollywood tape and traveled across the state urging women to vote for Trump. Everything was holding and getting better, Meadows said.

Meadows had big plans to oust Speaker Paul Ryan. He handed Bannon a folder. “Read this,” he said. “Some 24 hours after Trump wins, we call the question on Ryan and he’s finished. We take over the House of Representatives. And then we have a real revolution.”

Wonder how that revolution went, Mark? So the next few pages are recounting the final days before the election. Bannon criticizes Hillary’s strategy, Woodward goes on Fox News and says that Trump could win and that people might be lying to pollsters because they’re embarrassed to vote for Trump. It makes sense, I guess to include it, but it’s not interesting. The election starts with Trump down or tied in the battleground states. Yeah, yeah, we remember what happened. Thanks for reminding us our country is full of idiots, Bob. The only interesting point is this one:

quote:

Bannon was convinced that Trump himself was stunned. “He has no earthly idea he’s going to win,” Bannon said later. “And he had done no preparation. He never thought he would lose, but he didn’t think he would win. There’s a difference. And you’ve got to remember, no preparation, no transition team.”…

“It’s finally dawning on him,” Bannon recalled, “that this is the real deal. This is a guy totally unprepared. Hillary Clinton spent her entire adult life getting ready for this moment. Trump hasn’t spent a second getting ready for this moment.”

After a few hours of sleep, Bannon started flipping through the transition documents. Garbage supreme, he thought. For secretary of defense they listed some big campaign donor from New Hampshire. Unbelievable. Now there were 4,000 jobs to fill. He realized they would have to at least temporarily embrace the establishment. Perhaps a better word would be fleece— pluck off some people who knew something.

“Give me the executive director of this thing,” Bannon ordered, seeking some connection with whatever transition apparatus existed. “Get him in my office immediately.” He didn’t remember his name. Bannon reached the director’s office. Can he come in? he asked.

“It’s going to be tough.” Why? “He’s in the Bahamas.”

“This is the Island of Misfit Toys,” Bannon said. “How the gently caress are we going to put together a government? We relieve the watch in 10 weeks at noon. We’ve got to be up and running.”

Yeah, stupid loving Trump killed the transition team and they had absolutely no idea what to do. Nice confirmation for this, but something we already figured. That ends chapter 5 except with a mention of job titles for Bannon and Rat Fucker. Rat Fucker gets to be Chief of Staff, Self-felator Bannon gets to be Chief Strategist.

This was a long chapter so I’ll leave the post with that. Have to get back to work from lunch, but I’ll post the next chapter by the end of day, today. Some good lols this time around but nothing amazing yet. Apparently the next few chapters is where it gets good. No mention of the Comey announcement that may have tanked the Clinton campaign, so that’s an interesting omission. Maybe to make Comey seem less like a piece of poo poo?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mayor Dave posted:

As I've gotten further in I've been turned off by the constant self-sucking from all of his sources. Woodward portrays these evil ghouls and jackals as heroic and noble, and as the book goes on it gets more and more transparent that his sources are painting themselves in a positive light without any push back. Gonna give it a few more chapters but if it doesn't tone down a bit I'll just look for the juicy bits on Twitter.

Did you get to the section where Cohn is aghast that Trump gives no poo poo about the debt ceiling and gets painted as the smart one as a result?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Easily the best part of everyone sucking their own dicks in this book is that you know exactly who the source is but Trump will never figure it out.

e: I take that back. The best part is everyone constantly dunking on Chris Christie

The Anime Liker has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Sep 12, 2018

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

this is mostly a problem because Woodward doesn’t do hardly anything to distinguish when it’s the author or his sources giving an opinion. maybe it doesn’t matter and the whole point is to make you feel as smooth brained as Donald himself, like it’s the necronomicon for becoming an idiot

E: the worst example of it is Woodward referring to family unification as “chain migration” which is a total abandonment of any pretext of neutrality on immigration issues, an example of just embracing Bannon/Miller language

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Sep 12, 2018

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Here comes the interesting part. Jared Kushner, or Baby Trump, is actually the money guy for the campaign. If they want anything done that costs money, Baby Trump has to approve it. Bannon says they need $50 million for the rest of the campaign straight from Trump’s pocket, but Trump will not ever cut that large of a check. Why? Well…

Confirmation that there is no way Trump was a billionaire during the campaign. He probably is now thanks to the grifting he’s been able to do and just straight up corruption, but not at this point. Eventually, Trump agrees to use $10million of his own money for the campaign, but only if it’s an advance that he’ll get back from donations to his campaign. Amazing that this is legal.

I honestly don't think his net worth has increased after becoming president, but it certainly hasn't DECREASED as much as it should have thanks to all his grifting. He lost alot of revenue (NBC, Macy's, all the garbage chotchkys Trump puts his name on, lagging sales at properties that aren't the DC hotel or Mar-A-Lago) as a result of being a racist shithead. He's also probably so crazy overleveraged, and the thought of him liquefying some assets to fund the campaign would have been laughable given that he was absolutely sure he was going to lose, right up until the minute he didn't.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

e: I take that back. The best part is everyone constantly dunking on Chris Christie

:hai:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i'm not really upset to read a book from the perspective of a frazzled never trump member of the republican intelligencia. hell it feels good in a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

it's ok to want to be monogamous in your own life but if your view is "non-monogamy is wrong" your username is correct op

Why would I think non-monogamy is wrong, presuming that people are upfront about it? And even then, it'd be the deceit, and not the act of being non-monogamous.

But back to the rolling disaster that is the Trump Whitehouse.

• Locked thread