Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
All cities are the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ehud posted:

I went to the touristy part of Chicago and it was wonderful

and still everyone was like telling me I was putting myself and my wife in danger even thinking about going there lol

Well they were big dumdums. Most of the city is perfectly fine and wonderful. I’m a huge packers fan and I love this city. I feel way safer in my neighborhood here than wandering around at night in my small dying industrial Wisconsin hometown

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Metapod posted:

All cities are the same

one thing I like is how everyone thinks they have the worst traffic

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

People in Nashville think this which is just LOL

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Ehud posted:

"Everyone here forgets how to drive when it rains/snows!"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Apparently Leonard Fournette is "day-to-day" with his hammy injury. My bet is that he is inactive vs the Patriots.

Ehud posted:

No see Raleigh doesnt have the worst traffic, just the worst drivers. Yes, I know, everyone has the worst drivers too

I do find it remarkable that there are people who stop, unprompted, in the middle of a road (a road where the speed limit is 45) to let people turn out of parking lots. There are people who stop at green lights to let someone who has a red light turn/go. Drive 30 in a 45, ect I could go on

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It is, objectively, Atlanta for worst drivers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Didnt they do an accidents per mile driven study and it was basically a heat map of “where does drunk driving happen most often?”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Detroit doesn't have the worst traffic or drivers but by god it unquestionably has the worst roads.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Scotland has barely any traffic and its roads are really good.

I like living in a small country

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

https://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/which-states-have-the-worst-drivers/#Table2017

South bad, Midwest + Northeast good.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CyberPingu posted:

Scotland is the best place I ever visited, at least the part I was in. (Inverurie)

People really hated the English, though.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Scotland is the best place I ever visited, at least the part I was in. (Inverurie)

People really hated the English, though.

I just moved out of Edinburgh and into the countryside and its amazing, I have a slightly longer commute in the morning but the view i get makes up for it.

Eh, i dont really see the English hate that much (Im half English myself). Its played up a lot and depends on who you speak to, its definitely a lot more prominent at the moment due to the Brexit thing though.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

I loved the Edinburgh area when visiting in December, but the daylight and lack of fun plants around would make me living there impossible for a good while

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I loved the Edinburgh area when visiting in December, but the daylight and lack of fun plants around would make me living there impossible for a good while

Elaborate on the daylight thing? not quite sure what you mean by it?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Elaborate on the daylight thing? not quite sure what you mean by it?

Too short in the winter. I mean, I know I don't live THAT much further south than you, but it'd definitely negatively impact me in the long haul

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Too short in the winter. I mean, I know I don't live THAT much further south than you, but it'd definitely negatively impact me in the long haul

Eh, its not that bad, sunset is usually around 4, its pitch black around 5. Sunrises at like 7am or something. Doesnt get like that until the end of October usually though.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I lived in Edinburgh for a year in elementary school and I remember it being real nice but the sun going down at 3 pm in the winter is pretty depressing. Also I think Scotland was way poorer in the late eighties than it is now.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

sean10mm posted:

People in Nashville think this which is just LOL

to be fair, Nashville is the most poorly designed metro area I've ever had to deal with. I was there for a few months last summer and driving around that town just made me furious because of how shittily arranged everything is. (The traffic isn't that bad though)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

It's Los Angeles, objectively

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

a neat cape posted:

It's Los Angeles, objectively

Nah, it is many cities in China. They have like weeks long traffic jams.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Learn to ride a bike.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

iospace posted:

Learn to ride a bike.

And be one of the many bike fatalities caused by a careless driver? Pass.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

Oh if we’re doing this than it’s Bombay

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Diqnol posted:

And be one of the many bike fatalities caused by a careless driver? Pass.

Biking is like Aaron Rodgers. It's cool and good until you die by getting hit by a large object.

Also I bike around in Chicago all the time you just gotta be alert.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Just talking about the US but yeah.

LA also has the issue of being so goddamn spread out and public transit being so awful that you legit NEED a car

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Biking in China is bad because people have incentive to kill you if you get hit rather than call the hospital

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Tae posted:

Biking in China is bad because people have incentive to kill you if you get hit rather than call the hospital

Same but mexico

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Just move to a city with a <50k population and walk everywhere

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CyberPingu posted:

I just moved out of Edinburgh and into the countryside and its amazing, I have a slightly longer commute in the morning but the view i get makes up for it.

When I visited Scotland I drove from Edinburgh to Skye (and then back a few days later) and it was the most gorgeous drive I think I will ever make in my life

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

No see Raleigh doesnt have the worst traffic, just the worst drivers. Yes, I know, everyone has the worst drivers too

Truth.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Raleigh is loving nothing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Just talking about the US but yeah.

LA also has the issue of being so goddamn spread out and public transit being so awful that you legit NEED a car

Public transit in LA (proper) is pretty good for the most part.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Burginator posted:

to be fair, Nashville is the most poorly designed metro area I've ever had to deal with. I was there for a few months last summer and driving around that town just made me furious because of how shittily arranged everything is. (The traffic isn't that bad though)

I find it to be better than DC or Atlanta. DC is insane and Atlanta named 40% of their streets Peachtree just to make it harder for minorities to find Buckhead.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

CyberPingu posted:

Nice gatekeeping there buddy..

I reread that today and I dont even know wtf.
I dont even like Chicago.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In your defense Chicago rules except the parts that don't and really people who don't live there shouldn't talk about things they don't know. It'd be like me complaining about Southies even though I've never been to Boston.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

In your defense Chicago rules except the parts that don't and really people who don't live there shouldn't talk about things they don't know. It'd be like me complaining about Southies even though I've never been to Boston.
thank you

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That implies that people who don't live there now have no way of knowing what the city is like, or that a city is somehow immune to criticism if you don't reside there.

Most cities suck. It's completely fair to make that statement if the complaint is warranted.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

kiimo posted:

Yeah but I came off like an rear end in a top hat.

I have a friend in Detroit who absolutely loves living there, and while she doesnt claim it doesnt have problems she goes hard on people who just automatically assume its hell on earth.

The Midwest in general is the most misunderstood part of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

pasaluki posted:

The Midwest in general is the most misunderstood part of the country.

This email from WYTS pretty much nails Minneapolis:

walker posted:

Everyone in Minneapolis wears ill-fitting jeans, cheap tennis shoes and a University of Minnesota sweatshirt everywhere, all of the time, because they are afraid of sex.

This city’s civic culture is a paradigm of condescending milquetoast urbanity. 90% of Minneapolitans bitch about Trump constantly but will defend our grotesque, unfunny pervert former senator to the death. The other 10% are terrified of Somalians and think the Hmong eat squirrels. Head 30 minutes outside of the metro in any direction and you can reverse those numbers. The cops shoot someone here every six months.

People are mad because a major freeway (35W) is under major repairs for the next couple years. I don’t understand why, because there is nowhere to go. The weather is bearable for the months of May and September, exclusively. Southwest Minneapolis is a network of extraordinarily beautiful neighborhoods chained together by wonderful public lakes. It is in the direct flightline of MSP airport, and you will (seriously) be lucky to spend 90 seconds outside without hearing a plane roar overhead loud enough to interrupt conversation.

Despite all of this, everyone raised in Minneapolis thinks it is the best city in America and looks down on everyone not from Minneapolis, ESPECIALLY people from St. Paul.

• Locked thread