Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

pmchem posted:

Falcons spent a first round pick on Ridley. They lose and he doesn’t even have a target.

good move, there, Sark

Credited with 2 targets on roto for what it's worth. Ryan was melting down to hard to see anyone but Julio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cash Monet posted:

It's amazing how Steve Sarkisian has leveraged a few decent seasons at Washington into so many jobs.

His agent must be connected.

USC hired him because they were desperate to hire a Michigan USC man, and Sark was a part of the Carrol dynasty all along other than 2004 when he was the Raiders QB coach. Not the greatest hire of course but he didn't tank the program, he just got tanked himself too often.

He was hired as an offensive analyst at Bama in 2016, which is the type of job Brad Childresses of the world get when no one really wants them but a good head coach thinks they might have something to offer in the film room or whatever. They promoted him to OC after Lane Kiffin burned another bridge and walked away before the national championship game, which was Sark's only publicly visible game at Bama. He did alright, if anything Bama's defense lost that game/Deshaun Watson won it.

The only wtf hire involved after Washington is really the Atlanta OC job. I have no idea why the Falcons hired him.

e: oh duh, Dan Quinn. So Pete probably put a good recommendation for Quinn to hire Sark since Carrol likes him/Sarkisian had done a good job at USC.

Anyway it seems more of a who do you know/lucking into things situation than a great agent.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 7, 2018

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
That game was unwatchable. I don't know who's more embarassing matt ryan or steve sarkisian but Atlanta should have won that game by two touchdowns at least. Pitiful performance from them.

Foles looked awful, they either need alshon back asap or Wentz back asap

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

That game was unwatchable. I don't know who's more embarassing matt ryan or steve sarkisian but Atlanta should have won that game by two touchdowns at least. Pitiful performance from them.

Foles looked awful, they either need alshon back asap or Wentz back asap

They were both pretty embarrassing tbh. I'll err on the side of the franchise qb, but that was ugly. The best part is they talked all offseason about red zone improvements and then they did...that...

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1037920909800206336

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Can’t believe Steve missed Julio on 2 separate touchdowns

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My heart rate and attention increased after turning off the game and watching an episode of the Great British Baking Show. Those cannoli were legit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

waah posted:

Absolutely, Ryan screwed Julio out of an easy touchdown.

This is true but Julio shouldn't have juggled that catch either. The pass had the right distance and dropped right into his hands after he made the adjustment to the ball.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I went to bed after the first Ajayi TD and lmao how did the Falcons gently caress up again

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

its all nice on rice posted:

My heart rate and attention increased after turning off the game and watching an episode of the Great British Baking Show. Those cannoli were legit.

Matt Ryan had five opportunities to present a good bake to Paul Hollywood and every loaf was raw with a soggy bottom, I can’t believe it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

pmchem posted:

Falcons spent a first round pick on Ridley. They lose and he doesn’t even have a target.

good move, there, Sark

What are you talking about? They targeted him really early on in the game and he didn't catch the ball.

The rest of the game though, they ignored him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Can’t believe Steve missed Julio on 2 separate touchdowns

I mean, yeah, but the play design didn't exactly help things.

It doesn't absolve Matt Ryan from his awful night, but those play calls in goal to go situations were awful.

There is also the fact that Ryan was running for his dang life last night.

https://twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/1038043297577664512

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

weird Asian candy posted:

I mean, yeah, but the play design didn't exactly help things.

I don't know what you're talking about.

1st & 10 at PHI 10
(0:23 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right.
(0:24 - 4th) Timeout #2 by ATL at 01:18.
2nd & 10 at PHI 10
(0:15 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short middle to J.Jones [M.Bennett].
3rd & Goal at PHI 10
(0:11 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right [F.Cox].
4th & Goal at PHI 10
(0:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right. PENALTY on PHI-J.Hicks, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 10 - No Play.
1st & Goal at PHI 5
(0:01 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to J.Jones.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

ulmont posted:

I don't know what you're talking about.

1st & 10 at PHI 10
(0:23 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right.
(0:24 - 4th) Timeout #2 by ATL at 01:18.
2nd & 10 at PHI 10
(0:15 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short middle to J.Jones [M.Bennett].
3rd & Goal at PHI 10
(0:11 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right [F.Cox].
4th & Goal at PHI 10
(0:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right. PENALTY on PHI-J.Hicks, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 10 - No Play.
1st & Goal at PHI 5
(0:01 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to J.Jones.

Blegh.

On the plus side, I got to witness that disastrous game in amazing quality on my new 65" Samsung QLED TV :v:

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Play posted:

This is true but Julio shouldn't have juggled that catch either. The pass had the right distance and dropped right into his hands after he made the adjustment to the ball.

You ever tried making a catch on ball that's coming perfectly between your shoulders over the top of your head at full stride? Ryan hosed that pass up and Julio made a circus catch that was called incorrectly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

axeil posted:

I really think Matt Ryan's issues last night were tied to his knee brace getting all hosed up. If it was too stiff/tight I can see that messing up his mechanics.

I think his issues were tied to his o-line getting crunched like a beer can on Steve Austin's forehead. Rewatch it, pretty much every pass play ends with 2-3 defenders a step away from crushing him, and mostly on 4-man rushes. The only time the Falcons could work downfield was when they went max-protect.

That could easily have been a 7-8 sack game if Ryan wasn't totally committed to throwing as fast as humanly possible.

Bjay9 posted:

You ever tried making a catch on ball that's coming perfectly between your shoulders over the top of your head at full stride? Ryan hosed that pass up and Julio made a circus catch that was called incorrectly.

The ball was still moving as he slid out of bounds (0:07), and he didn't have it securely pinned to his helmet until he was all the way out (0:09). There never was a time when that was a catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrXOSFCRD0

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 7, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bjay9 posted:

No but guys in the NFL make catches like that pretty frequently actually. He got to the right place but then didn't trust his hands enough to just let it drop in, which is something he does from time to time. I realize that it was called incorrectly but if he hadn't double caught it it would've been called correctly. To be 100% clear I'm not blaming him for it not being a catch but he could've avoided the situation entirely and to say otherwise isn't honest.

What I'm really curious about is what happened on that interception because that was a really weird "route" that Julio was running; I just wonder what the story was with that and whose fault it was (I'm leaning towards Ryan)

Vengarr posted:

I think his issues were tied to his o-line getting crunched like a beer can on Steve Austin's forehead. Rewatch it, pretty much every pass play ends with 2-3 defenders a step away from crushing him, and mostly on 4-man rushes. The only time the Falcons could work downfield was when they went max-protect.

That could easily have been a 7-8 sack game if Ryan wasn't totally committed to throwing as fast as humanly possible.

The ball was still moving as he slid out of bounds (0:07), and he didn't have it securely pinned to his helmet until he was all the way out (0:09). There never was a time when that was a catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrXOSFCRD0

Yeah the pressure was unreal and I think it took Matt Ryan a little bit by surprise at first.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not here to pile on Atlanta (other than lol you aren't winning poo poo) but rather to pile on Corey Clement and Dallas Goedert.

You two fucks are not ready for primetime.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

I'm not here to pile on Atlanta (other than lol you aren't winning poo poo) but rather to pile on Corey Clement and Dallas Goedert.

It really drives home how loving miraculous from start to finish that Super Bowl was. Almost everything went right, even the super low percentage stuff. Third/fourth down conversions, amazing performances from guys like Clement who aren't actually that good, etc. etc.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

kiimo posted:

Corey Clement caught a TD in the Super Bowl :colbert:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jesus every year you dumb assholes flip out over week one. We have no idea what teams really are like until after week 8.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

axeil posted:

Corey Clement caught a TD in the Super Bowl :colbert:

Put the top 20 running backs in the league in the same position as he was last night and that's a touchdown.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tre Sullivan just got waived. :lol:

That said apparently it was for roster space reasons, but last night didn't exactly help.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 7, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jesus every year you dumb assholes flip out over week one. We have no idea what teams really are like until after week 8.

So what you're saying is . . . TFF in midseason form

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://twitter.com/bgoldgrab/status/1037906690962870273

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

What a tool. His only other "highlight" before last night was murdering a Packers scrub in the preseason last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ZCFHLX26g

kiimo posted:

Put the top 20 running backs in the league in the same position as he was last night and that's a touchdown.

He's not a shake-and-bake guy. He's a one-cut runner and pass catcher. He's fine in his role.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 7, 2018

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

kiimo posted:

Goedert is talented enough, he just doesn't have the polish yet. What else would you expect from a second round skill position guy's first NFL game? He actually looked pretty good to me!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah seriously, the interception was his fault but the ball got popped perfectly as soon as he made contact with it. He’ll learn and I feel like he’s going to be real good. Or at least he’d better be if Ertz keeps stone handing everything.

And I like Clement but he’s not the guy who is going to bust stuff wide open without the line making openings. Other than his run through the world’s biggest hole I feel like the rest of the running yards were because Ajayi and Sproles were just brute forcing through people.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sounds to me like you're both saying they're not ready for prime time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1038166281290174471

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

nerve posted:

lmfao what the gently caress?

this was supposed to be sarcasm. I honestly don't know how he consistently got 5 yards of cushion from the Eagles secondary in every single direction so loving often, like what the gently caress. although I guess as far as gameplans go "leave him wide open and hope Ryan fucks up in the red zone" worked out reasonably well

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Got a giggle out of this Wikipedia page edit earlier today (since removed)!

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 8, 2018

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

defaultluser posted:

Got a giggle out of this Wikipedia page edit earlier today (since removed)!

Nice

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

How come you never see the linebacker try to jam the running back in this kind of hell-coverage situation? You know you can't run with him, so charge in and plant him on his rear end. Linebackers are plenty good at that.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

The attendance yesterday was 69696 according to fox.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nice

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RoastBeef posted:

The attendance yesterday was 69696 according to fox.

Flip that upside down and it still says taco cat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

On three of the five red zone plays at the end of the game last night, the falcons ran da bomb flip

https://twitter.com/jumosq/status/1038104718977814528?s=21

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

On three of the five red zone plays at the end of the game last night, the falcons ran da bomb flip

If you do it right, Da Bomb always works.

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao you don't run it at the end! that should have been the first three plays of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

FizFashizzle posted:

holy poo poo it's like WWI level coaching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblfKREj50o

• Locked thread