Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer
So we're having an election this sunday and here i will post my very objective views of all the contenders, ask questions if you like and i'll try to answer them as best as I can

Quick summary of the current government: As of now Sweden is governed by a minority government consisting of the Social Democrats and the Enviromental Party, meaning that the government itself cannot pass legislation or submit a budget without "reaching across the aisle". So it's more or less a barely functioning centrist government . This is the result of the rising popularity of right wing reactionary/nazi party the "Swedish Democrats" as they have about 12% of parliament but no one wants to form a government with them due to them are being nazi shitbags that deserves to get their poo poo kicked in.

Also we have two "blocks" of parties with the "Redgreens" on the left and "The Alliance" on the right. The Alliance refuses to discuss the possibility of a functioning centrist government before election day and no block is projected to get a majority while the Social Democrats and the Enviromentalist can't stop salivating about the idea of a glorious centrist future.

The Alliance
The four parties below combine to form THE ALLIANCE (Alliansen) which governed Sweden from 2006-2014. They are a collection of neoliberal scum with only slight differences in social or economic policies so I won't dive into these to much.

The (new) Moderates - (Nya) Moderaterna

Party leader: Ulf Kristersson

Projected Vote: 16-20%
This shitstain party was founded in 1904 as the General Electoral League by a group of conservatives in the Swedish parliament. The party has had two other names during its history: "Högern" or The Right. Basicly rich reactionaries/bourgeois that popped up when the workers movement started to gain traction in Sweden. They have historically opposed voting rights for the poor and then for women and so and so forth. They hate taxes and social programs and has pledged to rid our nation of these horrors. They rebranded themselves as the "New Moderates" in 2006 when the became "the working peoples party" which is obviously horseshit but was a huge success and was the largest party within the alliance and had the PM position (among others) during their reign.

They have as of now 84 seats in parliament and is expected to lose some (get hosed) on sunday
As previously mentioned they love lowering taxes, especially for the richest parts of the population, selling of public assets such as schools, hospitals etc etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderate_Party
Judgement: Death by guillotine

The Christian Democrats - Kristdemokraterna

Party leader: Ebba Busch Thor
Projected vote: 4-6%
The party was founded in 1964 because we removed mandatory bible study in school (lmao). Regressive reactionaries with basicly the same social policies as modern russia. Anti gay marriage, anti gay adoptions, anti abortion etc. Pro stay at home moms, pro business etc. Basicly moderates but with jesus. They have 16 seats in parliament making them the smallest party. Thank god.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Democrats_(Sweden)

The Liberals - Liberalerna

Party leader: Jan Björklund

Projected vote: 5-7%
Yes they are literally called "the liberals", yes their party logo is an erect penis, yes that really is their party leader.
The liberals has roots dating back to the beginning of the 1800's but is now a center-right party which focuses on european partnershit and cooperation. They also love discipline in schools and the pictured gnome used to be our school minister in the former rightwing government which was voted out in 2014. They have 19 seats in parliament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberals_(Sweden)

The Center Party (homegrown politics) - Centerpartiet (närodlad politik)

Party leader - Annie Lööf

Projected vote: 8-11%
Founded as a the "Farmers Leauge" in 1913 (Bondeförbundet). It's now basicly "the free market will fix anything, even the environment party". They focus alot on the sustainability of the rural bits of Sweden promising subsides and such for all of us hicks out here. For example the erasure of student debts if you live in the countryside for x years. I do have to give them some credit for standing up for basic human rights when no other right wing "Alliance" group really does it anymore and for constantly making GBS threads on the Swedish Democrats.
Also I think Annie is kinda hot and MY WIFE gets kinda jealous when she's on TV so I'll admit SOME bias here.
They have 22 seats in parliament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Party_(Sweden)]
except for my waifu Annie

THE LONE WOLF

The Swedish Democrats - Sverigedemokraterna
Safety & tradition - trygghet & tradition
Party leader: Jimmie Åkesson

Old Picture, he has a beard now and is a very ADULT man

Projected vote: 16-20%

Founded in 1988 (yeah lol) by former members of totally not nazi organisations such as "keep sweden swedish" (bevara sverige svenskt). Fuckwit Jimmie was elected party leader in 2005 and disawowed their past nazism and then they got elected into parliament in 2010 and as of now has 49 of 349 seats in parliament but is expected to pick some more up on sunday.
So this is basicly the nazi/nationalist/TRUMP! party, several candidates have been outed as bonafide nazis or rascists shitposting hateful and violent stuff on nazi/racist sites.
They describe themselves as a social conservative party with a nationalistic foundation.

They want to: lower the abortion limit from eighteen weeks to twelve, allow midwifes to refuse to perform abortions in hospitals, leave the EU, make healthcare and pensions GREAT AGAIN, close the borders and lower taxes for pretty much everyone. They can afford all their planned improvements of the welfare system by kicking the illegals out. They make a huge deal about what Swedishness is and doesn't believe our historically oppressed northern indigenous population (sami) and jews can be in their sense of the word "Swedish".
They are constantly whining about how their nazi legacy prevents the other parties from cooperating with them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_Democrats

Stay tuned for Part 2 - the slighty less bad governing parties and the only good one

Qurnah has issued a correction as of 13:56 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
"The Red-greens"

The Red-greens is the current government of Sweden consisting of the Social Democrats and the Green party with some support from the Left party if they can get some secessions out of it. And sometimes if the Alliance parties sees a chance to gently caress over the working class or enrich themselves they also provide support for legislation being passed.

The Social Democrats - Socialdemokraterna

Party leader and PM: Stefan Löfven
Projected vote: 22-26%

The Social Democrats was founded in 1889 and split in two in 1917. More on that later.

They started out as a marxist party but that has gradually been stamped out culminating in the 90's when they overwent a similar transformation that their British counterparts Labour did and is now basicly a left leaning (not really) centrist party. This might have something to do with their subsequent fall from being the dominant political party in, where they could often form their own governments without the support of any other party. But idk i'm just a working family man so it might be something else entirely.

The left wing policies of its past has had some resurgence during the eight years of neo liberal rule but to little to late fuckos. It might have made a difference when you actually could get leftist policies passed. You idiots, you goddamned morons.

They have 113 seats in parliament.

Judgement: Life in the gulags for some, guillotines for the rest

"Environment Party the Greens" - Miljöpartiet de gröna

Spokespeople: Gustav Fridolin and Isabella Lövin

Projected vote: 5-8%.

This collection of hippies in suits was founded in 1981 as a reaction to the lax enviromental regulations in Sweden, especially in regards to our use of nuclear power which they oppose.

They first got into parliament in 1988. They are always represented by one man and one woman who are spokespeople and not party leaders per say. This last four years is the first time they actually had any power in parliament as Gustav is our current minister of education and Isabelle our vice PM. They have lost alot of voter confidence during this period due to the fact they voted with the rest of parliament to tighten our immigration laws and thus making us of the most closed countries in Europe. The vice PM actually went on TV and cried about how she had "no choice" but to close our borders to asylum seekers and the like because reasons. Since the greens base has alot of wishy washy liberals who kinda believe in basic human rights this didn't go over well with their base.
I usually describe them as having a green exterior with a blue (neoliberal) core since their economic policies is pretty much right wing economics with some green paint sloppily painted on.

They have 25 seats in parliament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Party_(Sweden)

Judgement: Life in the gulags for some, guillotines for the rest

The Left Party - Vänsterpartiet

Party leader: Jonas Sjöstedt

Projected vote: 8-12%

And then we come to the only real leftist option in modern day Sweden. The Left party (formerly known as the Communist party) broke away from the Social Democrats in 1917. And during the cold war period was the alternative for Swedish tankies and similarly minded people.
Since i was only a child during the eighties this isn't my perception of them but their legacy lives on and hence alot of the older generation would never vote for them because of this.
The current party leader Jonas Sjöstedt has worked for DSA 2006-2010 and the party is closely aligned with the DSA ideologically.

They have 21 seats in parliament but is expected to pick up alot of seats, maybe even double their influence. This give me some small measure of hope for the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Party_(Sweden)

Judgement: 5 out 5 red stars.

Qurnah has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Sep 7, 2018

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
So with only two days left to the election and no one really knowing what kind of government we are gonna end up with since the the Alliance refuses to budge on forming a centrist government across the aisles and no one will get a majority without the support of the nazis poo poo is looking pretty hosed right now.

Alot of people believe we're gonna have at least one reelection and fun will be had by all. Also everyone is expecting that Russia will try to meddle in some way except for all the misinformation they're already bombarding us with on social media.

Feel free to post questions if you're curious about something and I'll answer them the best I can.

Qurnah has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Sep 7, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I hope the nazis don't win op

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Are you sure they're nazis op, they have a pretty flower for a logo :thunk:

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

I hope the nazis don't win op

me too friend

me too

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
Here's some articles about doomsday sunday

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-07/panic-grips-swedish-establishment-facing-an-election-beating

quote:

Panic Grips Swedish Establishment Facing an Election Beating

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-07/steve-bannon-s-favorite-swedish-party-is-set-to-upend-status-quo

quote:

Meteoric Rise of Sweden’s Nationalists Stuns Establishment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/02/sweden-democrats-far-right-anti-migrant

quote:

Anti-migrant feeling fuels Swedish far right as election looms

Popular concern looks likely to propel Sweden Democrats to a possible 20% of the vote

https://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/news/releases/new-report-shows-that-swedish-election-second-only-to-us-in-proportion-of-junk-news-shared/

quote:

Research from the Oxford Internet Institute’s computational propaganda project has found that the proportion of ‘junk news’ shared on social media during the ongoing Swedish election campaign is higher than any other European country studied – and second only to the US in recent major elections.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
what're the odds the alliance break the cordon sanitaire and actually try to negotiate with SD if they exceed expectations?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

immediately booing the anti-nuclear fuckheads

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

these are always my favorite threads, thanks for the effort post friend

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

how accurate is the global perception of sweden as a succdem paradise these days? from the way you describe things it sounds pretty much like the rest of the world: gradual erosion of the safety net by feckless neoliberals and ravenous capitalists leading to the rise of far right and far left parties

but like what exactly are they doing to this? is it mostly centered around immigrants?

you make it sound like things are really bad but even then if feels like you guys are still miles ahead in terms of poo poo like restorative justice and education and whatnot

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

TheIllestVillain posted:

what're the odds the alliance break the cordon sanitaire and actually try to negotiate with SD if they exceed expectations?

The odds are reeeeaaaaal good! Part of the moderates have been preparing for this in the last four years. Kd would do it in a blink of an eye if it would actually do any difference.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

TheIllestVillain posted:

Well this depends on how big the Moderates and the Christian Democrats get as they are the only two parties that has shown some interest in cooperating with them. I don't doubt that these three would form a government if they actually got a majority in parliament.

C and L has said repeatedly and fervently that they would never cooperate with SD and if M and KD tries, then that would probably kill the Alliance.
Another likely possibility is that C and L breaks away from the Alliance and forms a centrist government with S and MP anyway.

But i'm pretty certain that we will see at least one reelection before/if a government is formed.

babypolis posted:

how accurate is the global perception of sweden as a succdem paradise these days? from the way you describe things it sounds pretty much like the rest of the world: gradual erosion of the safety net by feckless neoliberals and ravenous capitalists leading to the rise of far right and far left parties

but like what exactly are they doing to this? is it mostly centered around immigrants?

you make it sound like things are really bad but even then if feels like you guys are still miles ahead in terms of poo poo like restorative justice and education and whatnot

Your first statement is pretty much accurate, during the 90's and 00's alot of public assets were sold of, schools, care facilities and even a couple of hospitals were up for grabs.
Subsequently alot of those schools failed and alot of students we're left stranded when their school went bankrupt. Also alot of elderly people got lost in the sudden coming and going of various care providers which led to an increase in demand for emergency care.

Then came alot of tax cuts and suddenly alot of hospitals had to save money so they didn't hire any new staff or upgraded their infrastucture which resulted in a mass flight of workers from said places. Alot of hospitals struggles to keep their beds open to the public right now since there isn't enough nurses or doctors to go around.
I myself am a nurse and has worked within healthcare for about 10 years now and it has been a slow descent for all that time. All parties promises to fix this but only the Left party promises to make huge investments in staff as their remedy which is in my opinion the only thing that's gonna work.

The Swedish Democrats has convinced a large part of the populace that most of these problems stems in mass immigration and not the afromentioned tax cuts and privatisations which they are supportive of. That simply all these immigrants commits all of our crimes, they are all on welfare and clogs up the welfare system without paying into it. The Alliance started this tide when they made their slogan for the elections in 2006 and 2010 that it "should be profitable to work".

Granted there is alot of housing projects in Sweden that due to poverty and poor integration has a high rate of crime, maybe not compared to countries like the US and such but it still scares alot of people. A large part of the population refuses to acknowledge that there is structual rascism and huge economic injustice that causes alot of people to be jobless, instead buying into "bootstraps" bullshit which empowers the fascist/racist movement.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

these are always my favorite threads, thanks for the effort post friend

:) :respek: :)

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
it is the culture night here in uppsala tomorrow so i am going to be super hung over on election day

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
i'm working nights at a hospital the entire weekend so if i'm having a slow night i'll be posting all night

woe is me

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
btw for those who remember Tinkzorg from old lf, he has pretty much become a prominent figure in the swedish alt right movement

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ali Alkali posted:

btw for those who remember Tinkzorg from old lf, he has pretty much become a prominent figure in the swedish alt right movement

:yikes:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hallo, vote-a for da lefteest, a bork bork bork

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
and lol, kauka was a trending social media figure and became famous for running a fb-page called white, insulted men; but then deleted all his accounts and joined the social democrats

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

Ali Alkali posted:

and lol, kauka was a trending social media figure and became famous for running a fb-page called white, insulted men; but then deleted all his accounts and joined the social democrats

Legit sad to hear that, I liked LF kauka

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ali Alkali posted:

what the

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ali Alkali posted:

elaborate immediately

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1AdcyRSULQ

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Is Sweden as hosed up as the stig Larson books makes it sound? I was there for two weeks a decade ago and it seemed pretty nice

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ive been a fan of swedish culture ever since i saw Willy wonka

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

elaborate immediately

seconded

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Oct 8, 2021

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
BONUS Campaign Poster

"A Sweden for everyone, not just for the rich."

"Taxevasion - Schooltrip"

"Overtime - time over"

"Billionaires - Pensioneers"

"Salary after gender - Salary after effort"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OP, all the party leaders have very punchable faces, except Annie and Jonas.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
More punchable faces

"I want a Sweden where everyone who can work will work"

"I don't want your wallet to decide when you get healthcare"

"I don't want that you'll be poor when your old"

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
My neoliberal waifu :syoon:

"Onward!"

"Humanity for Sweden and onward!"

"Equality for Sweden and onward!"

"The countryside should be developed, not dismantled."

"Small business shall have big opportunities."

"Safe healthcare in the entire country."

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

whatever happened to FI, which if you listened to enough people in the Guardian and some US "left" sites would totally change up politics in Sweden?

also, which party will spend money on a special program to extend Henrik Lundqvist's career for another few years through high-level science?

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
Tinkzorg is malcolm kyeyune and he got expelled from the young leftist for defending The Revolutionary Front, a communist and antifascist organization(their praxis was to visit nazis at night and put an axe in the door). Later he started a pod with another former young leftist who met the same fate, Markus Allard. I think they started with a kind of leftist populist outlook but they soon took a pretty huge right turn, especially on immigration, and the pod got some popularity i think. Allard created a populist local party, Örebropartiet, and one of its current candidates is famous racist cop Peter Springare. Meanwhile Kyeyune has also made a career as a writer for a lot of right wing papers as a leftist who has realized the truth about how immigration is going to destroy the last bits of folkhemmet(the idealized welfare state that the social democrats is said to have built under their hegemony in the middle of the last century) but before that his bread and butter was attacking identity politics.

I said he was a prominent figure but i actually dont know who cares about him anymore. I looked up his blog which he hasnt updated in 9 months and in the latest blog post he turns his back on reality, assuming a need for gated communities in sweden to defend our property from the violence in the "slums".

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
BONUS PARTY

Feminist Initiative - Feministisk initiativ

Projected vote: 2-3%

F! was founded in 2005 but has yet not succeeded to enter parliament since their best result so far has been 3,1 and the threshold is 4%. I for one would love for them to cross this threshold since they are definitely on the left side of things and I hate seeing their parlamentary votes be worth literally nothing. They have had alot of ups and downs, their high point was a poll showing 7% support. Alas they are known for stunts and controversys that piss alot of people off like burning 100 000sek as a protest against unfair wages and suggesting a mens tax. Also Gudrun Schyman has been a politician for a long time and has racked up some controversies like relapsing into alcholism, cheating on her taxes and plagiarising opinion pieces. She was once the party leader for the Left party but was ousted when her shenanigans became to much for the party.

They have one seat in the european parliament.

Judgement: Rad as all hell though currently irrelevant

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

whatever happened to FI, which if you listened to enough people in the Guardian and some US "left" sites would totally change up politics in Sweden?

also, which party will spend money on a special program to extend Henrik Lundqvist's career for another few years through high-level science?

FI are liberals and feminists who wants fat salaries and therefore wont join the left party since it enforces a salary cap.They had some momentum last election but they are dead in the water now. Sadly they did well enough to get government funding which means they wont go away as long as the leadership gets paid. The creation of FI made most parties adopt a more feminist platform, that was a good thing i guess, tough the popularity of the sweden democrats are obviously a reaction to that.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
Liberals! :argh:

"Against extremism"

"Hate or talk? - The World doesn't need more extremists"

"School first."

"Chat or understand? - Knowledge and peace to study in all classrooms "

"Fail or study? - The future begins in the classroom"

"Alienate or embrace? - Sweden needs more EU cooperation not less"

"More EU."

"Rejection or Job? - Work, language and equality is the way into Sweden"

"The Liberals - Can seem offensive to populists, extremists and socialists"

The varning signs says "Varning Liberal content"

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

would you kindly tell sverigedemokraterna to gently caress off before sweden gets a dansk folkeparti type situration on their hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
So, how bad is Sverigedemokraterne compared to Dansk Folkeparti and Frp? And who would win in a fight between Jimmie Åkesson and Carl I. Hagen?