Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer
oh this is gonna be FUN

https://www.msn.com/sv-se/nyheter/inrikes/stefan-l%F6fven-sitter-kvar/ar-BBN5oBY?li=AAb2bl2&ocid=spartanntp

quote:

Statsminister Stefan Löfven tänker inte lyssna på alliansledarna som underkvällen med en röst krävt hans avgång. Han förespråkar i stället mer samarbete över blockgränserna.
Regeringen sitter kvar de kommande veckorna fram till riksdagen öppnar, meddelade Stefan Löfven när han äntrade scenen på valvakan i Stockholm.
- Jag och min regering leder landet... Vi står redo att hantera kriser om någon sådan skulle dyka upp, säger han och upprepade ståndpunkten att blocket som fått flest mandat borde få bilda regeringsunderlag.
- Det finns ingen sida som har fått egen majoritet, så oavsett valutgång så borde den här kvällen bli blockpolitikens begravning.

quote:

Prime Minister Stefan Löfven does not intend to listen to alliance leaders as the evening of a vote demanded his departure. He instead advocates more cooperation across the block borders.
The government will remain in the coming weeks until the parliament opens, Stefan Löfven announced when he passed the stage at the Stockholm election election.
"I and my government are leading the country ... We are ready to deal with crises if any of these would appear," he said, repeating the position that the block with the highest mandate should form government footing.
- There is no side that has its own majority, so regardless of outcome this evening should be the funeral of the block politics.

no wait it's gonna be awful actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Alexios posted:

Blekinge

having lived in karlskrona for a year, im not surprised. only place ive ever seen neo nazis irl, and there were many of them for such a small town

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Alexios posted:

Sick!

It's time for neoliberalism deluxe.

Where's the Jeb! edition of this?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

babypolis posted:

and yet the fascists are tearing their hair and declaring the end of sweden

an electoral result that pleases absolutely no one

neoliberalism.txt

given the circumstances i'm quite pleased, sure i'd have chosen no SD at all and a V in a stronger position, but given the way the wind was blowing the outcome has a lot of promise

the main thing now would be if a coalition would break up the block on the right, which long-term would be great for the political landscape. if a reasonably strong formation could be found it would also mean SD would have another 4 years of lots of talking but little getting anything done, and I do think a fair few of their more casual voters are tiring of them already

Alexios
Dec 31, 2007

drowningidiot posted:

Where's the Jeb! edition of this?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
despite it being a lock between the blocks and the nazis making gains? compared to some of the polling the last month or so it was actually a pretty good outcome

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
it sucks but its good that they got less than their average polling for the past 4 years

kinda hosed they had 14% of the vote even before the migrant crisis

it can get alot worse, australia has a concentration camp for refugees where kids set themselves on fire and both major and most minor parties either support it or dont care

Reclines Obesily has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Sep 10, 2018

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Some thoughts from watching election night:

Every talking head on alliance side repeating the mantra "Löfven must resign" again and again, possibly trying to get S to "admit defeat"...

Also interesting: Every party (with the exception of MP ) claiming victory in one way or another.

So let's talk party constellations:

Alliance seems to want S to rubber stamp them, which is lol why would they do that?

C and L have said they will never work with SD, so a pure Alliance+SD is probably impossible...

I heard 1 presenter talk about M+KD with an implicit support of SD, which the other alliance parties could simply look on and whistle while letting their budget pass on through.

S+C+M, super centrist squad, would get 57,9%, but M have said they want an alliance government. Would it be worth killing the Alliance for this?

I have no idea how this can work, all possible constellations contain parties that hate each other or who would definitely lose on working together.

SVT has a good app, try it yourself: https://www.svt.se/special/pussla-ihop-politiska-styret/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

S+MP+L+C with support by V is looking the most doable, but as that breaks the alliance and requires V to go along without giving them representation it is not exactly obvious that such a thing can be worked out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

rear end cobra posted:

having lived in karlskrona for a year, im not surprised. only place ive ever seen neo nazis irl, and there were many of them for such a small town

Give it back to Denmark

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i think theres something to be said about trumps idiocy stifling fascist movements around the world. no one wants to look as dumb as america does right now

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
I think with the rhetoric coming from C and L that they would never cooperate with V, so my money is on S caving on their few remaining principles and a centrist government being formed with M, C, L and MP

Failing that a reelection seems very likely

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Give it back to Denmark

Also Skåne

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

babypolis posted:

i think theres something to be said about trumps idiocy stifling fascist movements around the world. no one wants to look as dumb as america does right now

Honestly Yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Qurnah posted:

I think with the rhetoric coming from C and L that they would never cooperate with V, so my money is on S caving on their few remaining principles and a centrist government being formed with M, C, L and MP

Failing that a reelection seems very likely

minority coalitions are not that uncommon, C and L can't really mind V voting for the coalition (despite not being in it) just to keep M (and SD) out of a broader attempt

in fact V does not even have to vote for them, the vote is negative, so it is sufficient that they refrain from voting to make it impossible to get the 175 'no' votes required to prevent the coalition

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

minority coalitions are not that uncommon, C and L can't really mind V voting for the coalition (despite not being in it) just to keep M (and SD) out of a broader attempt

in fact V does not even have to vote for them, the vote is negative, so it is sufficient that they refrain from voting to make it impossible to get the 175 'no' votes required to prevent the coalition

I think/hope that V is not just gonna roll over and let neoliberals run amok, if they do that then gently caress it I'm probably joining KPMLR

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Qurnah posted:

I think/hope that V is not just gonna roll over and let neoliberals run amok, if they do that then gently caress it I'm probably joining KPMLR

i mean, the cspam attitude would certainly be to play hardball on this, but sweden is not quite the us, and it is not so clear that progress can't be better made by striking a deal and at the same time breaking up the right block

if they just play hardball to a point where some SD coalition comes to power they are sure to lose out in both the short and long term at any rate

if it just comes to a reelection i do fear that also likely plays into SDs hands, since they will have spent the months in the runup to it crying about how the other parties refuse to work with them, which is dead center of the sort of dissatisfied-voter-narrative that they have always loved

Cybernetic Vermin has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Sep 10, 2018

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
I don't think being the only party in opposition to the new neoliberal order in Sweden that's been established by the other parties during the last 30 years or so is going to cost them votes, quite the opposite actually.

We'll just have to see if SD has hit it's roof, I really think they have and trenches are being dug. If they gain power is in the hands of C and L as they are pretty much holding the keys to parliament right now.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
Jimmie Nazi is on SVT 2 right now

That boycott lasted for almost two days lmao

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Qurnah posted:

Jimmie Nazi is on SVT 2 right now

That boycott lasted for almost two days lmao

they were talking to SVT last night lol. Linus Bylund was on a loving panel.

some of my colleagues were hoping today that the expat vote count on Wednesday gives Alliansen(ugh) a mandate. is this likely?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
From what I heard on election night, those votes are mostly right wing, yes.

In local news, newly formed party demokraterna became the second largest party in Gothenburg at 17.2%. I do enjoy local parties taking control on the municipality level.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

they were talking to SVT last night lol. Linus Bylund was on a loving panel.

some of my colleagues were hoping today that the expat vote count on Wednesday gives Alliansen(ugh) a mandate. is this likely?

While this is not alltogether unlikely it turns out it wouldn't matter anyway, as a clerical error in one district had given C a mandate too many: https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/ny-mandatstallning-efter-miss-144-142

Not clear-cut good news since it hands the mandate over to SD, but an extra mandate for them does not seem to shift the calculus in any relevant way.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
Grimey Drawer
So the parlieamentary squabble is in full swing. As of the now the Red-greens have 144 seats and the alliance have 142 and the nazis 62. I might be wrong on the numbers because they keep changing, this is the first time in a long time that overseas votes might actually matter since it's so close.

Despite having fewer seats the alliance seems to be moving forward with unseating the PM with the aid of the nazis. How they aim to get a budget passed without the help of the nazis remains a mystery. This is a big deal since they have repeatedly promised not to cooperate with the nazis.

The redgreens are at the same time arguing for a wide government coalition (i.e centrist) but as of now has gotten nothing but rejection.

Meanwhile the nazis is...well..being nazis I guess

https://www.thelocal.se/20180912/victory-or-death-top-sweden-democrat-criticized-for-facebook-election-comments

quote:

The parliamentary group leader of the far-right Sweden Democrats has been criticized for a Facebook post he made following the election result, in which he said "there are only two choices, victory or death".

He said that Sweden was "really in trouble" as it had been before in its history, saying that the nation had withstood and resisted attacks and occupations thanks to "the unwavering stubbornness, conviction, sacrifice and leadership of a small group of patriots".

"We haven't chosen this, but our opponents have really forced us into an existential fight for our culture's and our nation's survival. There are only two choices, victory or death. There is only one way, and that is forwards," Karlsson continued.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nazi influence still seems unlikely (as they are very unlikely to help out without some explicit public concessions, which several parties really are quite unlikely to go along with), but quite as bad is that the discourse has been pretty hardball in the direction of the right block forming the government with the tacit approval of the left, despite a smaller mandate

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

it all depends how you count.
Löfven is hosed as prime minister since he will be voted out in one week due to having the majority of the parliament against him.
as for the second important thing, the budget, m+kd can put forth a budget and if c+l abstains and sd votes on it despite getting no concessions, it will pass.
pretending the one vote the redgreen have ahead of Alliansen is a workable factor with sd having 60 is naive, since it basically assumes Alliansen will not be an opposition. which have already been tried last period and Alliansen have explicitly said it won’t happen again.
so a more workable coalition is needed.

and here is the issue.
c+l won’t tolerate being dependent on V (since they consider v about as bad as SD). their preferred politics are also hosed in a coalition with S.
s+v+mp is dependent on Alliansen not putting forth their own budget since it opens for fuckery by sd.
m+kd can form a coalition by having sd as well as l+c abstaining from the vote of confidence. they can also get a budget through by bribing c+l and sd, where the former in this way can say they don’t actively get support from sd.
and finally, the biggest hurdle, s will never support a coalition they don’t lead.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So M got the Talman it looks like. As an American immigrant, this election is fascinating. It is literally a mirror of lovely Democrat politics during the Obama regime coming up to a vote.

I'm sticking with my election night prediction (courtesy of a friend who believes in hell world) that M+KD are the governors of Sweden in the near future. This baffles many Swede's but we are in a post :decorum: world.

Dirk Pitt has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Sep 22, 2018

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So Ulf has to be really loving mad today, right?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
if he didn't expect this he's even dumber than he appears tbh

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Have they decided who gets to form a government yet?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
M+KD I’d imagine. but I think they vote tomorrow.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

M+KD I’d imagine. but I think they vote tomorrow.

also voted down

which is good, non-nazi-wise, but leaves the process quite hung.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Where's your government at?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-politics/swedens-lofven-edges-toward-second-pm-term-after-deal-with-center-right-idUSKCN1P50X5

Sweden's Lofven edges toward second PM term after deal with center-right

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Social Democrat leader Stefan Lofven took a big step toward a second term as Sweden’s prime minister on Friday after agreeing a deal with two opposition parties that will move policy sharply to the right with tax cuts and business-friendly reforms.

The agreement means the Center Party and Liberals will give backing to a Social Democrat and Green Party government that will be evaluated annually and would represent a sharp shift from the tax-raising policies over the past four years. The deal includes cuts to marginal tax rates, eased rules on options, broader subsidies for hiring home help and a stop to efforts on limiting profits for private welfare providers. It also proposes to increase taxes on pollution and the finance industry and look at shifting pension fund investments out of fossil fuels and study issuing green government bonds.

Loof said the deal isn’t a “free pass” for Lofven to return to “left-wing policies.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkY88kvkdvU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so if that coalition holds, it's Germany redux: the center holds but moves to the right, while the far-right is in position to become even more popular in the next election. if Sweden doesn't have a popular left-wing alternative like the German Greens, they're probably hosed

i'm split between thinking "i hope that they have a left-wing alternative" and thinking "gently caress it, we're all going to die anyway, let all the nations of the world join hands under miserable neo-fascist governments"

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

The left party, formerly known as the communist party got 8% of the vote in the 2018 election

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Meatballs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The coalition turned out as predicted, took them long enough. Certainly not a good thing overall, but probably the best possible given the election results. Still voting for V next time, but the way the structure is shaping up I am not that hopeful that they will have useful influence.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
watch as M (the bourgeoisie) and KD (what pass for christian fundies over here) cozy up to the nazis right loving quick

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Martout posted:

watch as M (the bourgeoisie) and KD (what pass for christian fundies over here) cozy up to the nazis right loving quick

they already did to get their budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
well obviously but I mean more so and more formally like "Alliansen is dead, long live Kristna Sverigealliansen!"