Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

17.7% now, and while MP is sitting pretty low at 4.4% we are entering the end of the preliminary count (76% done), so the really bad outcomes are looking less likely. Going to be a mess getting some coalition together to actually govern, but that was a foregone conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The biggest surprise to me is that the voter turnout is lower than 2014, at 84.4%. Seemed a more clearly contentious election in the lead-up. Economical good times in play I guess.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

At this moment it is 143 seats each for the left and right blocks, which isn't exactly helping the issue of functional governing after this. It'd be a nice side-effect if the right block were to break apart though, been a very cynical sort of alliance for quite some time.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

babypolis posted:

and yet the fascists are tearing their hair and declaring the end of sweden

an electoral result that pleases absolutely no one

neoliberalism.txt

given the circumstances i'm quite pleased, sure i'd have chosen no SD at all and a V in a stronger position, but given the way the wind was blowing the outcome has a lot of promise

the main thing now would be if a coalition would break up the block on the right, which long-term would be great for the political landscape. if a reasonably strong formation could be found it would also mean SD would have another 4 years of lots of talking but little getting anything done, and I do think a fair few of their more casual voters are tiring of them already

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

S+MP+L+C with support by V is looking the most doable, but as that breaks the alliance and requires V to go along without giving them representation it is not exactly obvious that such a thing can be worked out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Qurnah posted:

I think with the rhetoric coming from C and L that they would never cooperate with V, so my money is on S caving on their few remaining principles and a centrist government being formed with M, C, L and MP

Failing that a reelection seems very likely

minority coalitions are not that uncommon, C and L can't really mind V voting for the coalition (despite not being in it) just to keep M (and SD) out of a broader attempt

in fact V does not even have to vote for them, the vote is negative, so it is sufficient that they refrain from voting to make it impossible to get the 175 'no' votes required to prevent the coalition

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Qurnah posted:

I think/hope that V is not just gonna roll over and let neoliberals run amok, if they do that then gently caress it I'm probably joining KPMLR

i mean, the cspam attitude would certainly be to play hardball on this, but sweden is not quite the us, and it is not so clear that progress can't be better made by striking a deal and at the same time breaking up the right block

if they just play hardball to a point where some SD coalition comes to power they are sure to lose out in both the short and long term at any rate

if it just comes to a reelection i do fear that also likely plays into SDs hands, since they will have spent the months in the runup to it crying about how the other parties refuse to work with them, which is dead center of the sort of dissatisfied-voter-narrative that they have always loved

Cybernetic Vermin has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Sep 10, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

they were talking to SVT last night lol. Linus Bylund was on a loving panel.

some of my colleagues were hoping today that the expat vote count on Wednesday gives Alliansen(ugh) a mandate. is this likely?

While this is not alltogether unlikely it turns out it wouldn't matter anyway, as a clerical error in one district had given C a mandate too many: https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/ny-mandatstallning-efter-miss-144-142

Not clear-cut good news since it hands the mandate over to SD, but an extra mandate for them does not seem to shift the calculus in any relevant way.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nazi influence still seems unlikely (as they are very unlikely to help out without some explicit public concessions, which several parties really are quite unlikely to go along with), but quite as bad is that the discourse has been pretty hardball in the direction of the right block forming the government with the tacit approval of the left, despite a smaller mandate

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

M+KD I’d imagine. but I think they vote tomorrow.

also voted down

which is good, non-nazi-wise, but leaves the process quite hung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The coalition turned out as predicted, took them long enough. Certainly not a good thing overall, but probably the best possible given the election results. Still voting for V next time, but the way the structure is shaping up I am not that hopeful that they will have useful influence.